No Nukes News: The Nuclear Gang Rides On...

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Wed Oct 6 19:20:07 EDT 2010

No Nukes News

Oct. 6, 2010

Pass this onto a friend! - a

"On top of the perennial challenges of global poverty and injustice, the two
biggest threats facing human civilization in the 21st century are climate
change and nuclear war. It would be absurd to respond to one by increasing
the risks of the other." - Dr Mark Diesendorf, author of Greenhouse
Solutions with Sustainable Energy

"Speaking up about something that matters is the best recreation ever." -
Sharon Howarth, grassroots climate crusader

<http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/seaway+Mohawks/3606237/story.html

Not in our seaway: Mohawks Opposed to shipment of generators

http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/seaway+Mohawks/3606237/story.html

U.S. senators oppose nuclear waste shipments
http://www.theobserver.ca/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=2787096

Plan to ship radioactive generators through Great Lakes draws protest

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/ontario/plan-to-ship-radioactiv
e-generators-through-great-lakes-draws-protest/article1730406/

Nuclear spill could contaminate Canadian waters for centuries,
environmentalists argue
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/Nuclear+spill+could+contaminate+waters+c
enturies/3599525/story.html

Darlington upgrades will hike hydro rates

Hydro consumers could soon be zapped with another rate hike to pay for the
refurbishment of the Darlington nuclear station. Jack Gibbons of the Ontario
Clean Air Alliance, a coalition of health and environmental groups, said the
government needs to stop financing Darlington on the backs of taxpayers.

"Consumers want the government to give them a new supply that is clean and
green at a reasonable cost, and nuclear power doesn't meet that test - the
cost is way too high," Gibbons told a Queen's Park news conference. "It
doesn't make sense to invest up to $35 billion rebuilding an old nuclear
station when we can meet our electricity needs at a fraction of a cost by
energy efficiency . . . and to import water power from Quebec."

Gibbons pointed out Ontario has a bad history of cost overruns concerning
nuclear projects. He figures the actual cost of the rebuild could be between
$21 billion to $35 billion.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/868247--darlington-upgrades-will-
hike-hydro-rates-ndp

The Darlington Re-Build Consumer Protection Plan
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/881>

The good news is that Ontario has much lower cost and lower risk options to
keep the lights on. These options can meet our electricity needs at less
than half the cost of re-building Darlington.

With the click of a  <http://cleanairalliance.org/letter_to_dalton2> button,
please send Premier McGuinty an email telling him that taxpayers and
consumers should not pay for any nuclear cost overruns. Fixed-price bids
should be required. Invest in lower cost and lower risk options.
<http://cleanairalliance.org/letter_to_dalton2>
http://cleanairalliance.org/letter_to_dalton2

Write a Letter to the Editor!

Sometimes they DO get printed. Make them short and sweet (or risk getting
them severely edited!)

Here are 6 anti-nuke letters that were published in the Toronto Star:

http://www.thestar.com/printarticle/868899

'Small Modular Reactors' No Panacea for What Ails Nuclear Power

The same industry that promised that nuclear power would be 'too cheap to
meter' is now touting another supposed cure-all for America's power needs:
the small modular reactor (SMR).   The only problem is that SMRs are not
only unlikely live up to the hype, but may well aggravate cost, safety, and
environmental problems, according to a new fact sheet prepared by the
Institute for Energy and Environmental Research (IEER) and Physicians for
Social Responsibility (PSR).

Article here:
http://www.youwb.com/2010/09/ieerpsr-small-modular-reactors-no-panacea-for-w
hat-ails-nuclear-power/

Factsheet can be found here:
http://www.ieer.org/fctsheet/small-modular-reactors2010.pdf.

What We've Done to Others

The Nuclear Gang Rides On

Few Americans have a clear memory of our nuclear history.

http://www.counterpunch.org/landau10012010.html

Phasing-out coal: the next critical step

Ontario
<http://news.ontario.ca/mei/en/2010/10/moving-ontario-from-dirty-coal-to-a-c
lean-energy-future.html> 's decision to shut down 2,000 megawatts of
coal-fired electricity generation capacity today is an important step
forward on the road to a coal-free Ontario that can boast cleaner air and a
healthier climate.

But despite this step, 11 of Ontario Power Generation's (OPG's) dirty
coal-fired boilers will remain in operation until 2014, and under the
province's current environmental rules OPG can increase its total coal-fired
electricity production by 14% in order to make export sales to the U.S.
[Finishing the coal phase out
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/active/0/phaseout%20progress%202010%2
0rev4.pdf> ] Increasing OPG's profits at the expense of our children's
health doesn't make sense.

The good news is that Ontario's coal-free generation capacity is now 17%
greater than our peak day electricity demands.  Therefore we can achieve a
virtually complete coal phase-out today by simply putting our dirty coal
plants on standby reserve, only operating them if they are absolutely needed
to keep the lights on.

Please send an email to Energy Minister Duguid
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/coal_letter>  now and ask him to prevent up
to 137,500 asthma attacks per year by putting all of our dirty coal boilers
on standby reserve today.

Ontario nurses say shut down of coal-fired power units will save lives

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/October2010/01/c7195.html

National Asthma Patient Alliance (NAPA): Ontario Closes 4 Coal Plant Units

http://napa-blog.blogspot.com/2010/10/ontario-closes-4-coal-plant-units.html

U.S., EU join fight over Ontario's green energy plan: Province's
local-content rules seen as threat to export potential

Some of the world's most powerful countries have joined the battle over
Ontario's green energy plan, threatening the cornerstone of Premier Dalton
McGuinty's renewable power strategy.  The United States and the European
Union emerged on Thursday as latest countries to say they have key
commercial interests at stake and want to join the consultations on a
complaint by Japan to the World Trade Organization.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/us-eu-join-fight-over-ontarios-
green-energy-plan/article1736573/

http://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel-vfl3z5WfW.gifhttp://s.ytimg.com/yt/img/pixel
-vfl3z5WfW.gif

The Myth of Nuclear Deterrence

5 minute video

Some national security experts believe that adhering to the theory of
nuclear deterrence makes a country more secure. But does it really?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RB4MVVcAi9E

Nuclear Energy: What they tell us

View this shocking slideshow (warning some images relating to the children
of Chernobyl may be disturbing):

http://www.geoffreybsmall.net/slide01logomania.html

Looking at the Real Cost of Fossil Fuel

In economics, conduct that re-allocates part of the cost of doing business
upon other parties without their consent (such as pollution of public air
and waters) is called an externality. To the extent that environmental
impacts are not reflected in the market price of electricity, consumers are
not paying the full cost of that power (i.e., their energy use is being
subsidized), and energy markets become distorted, resulting in inefficient
use of resources.

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance