Greenspiration News: Better than drugs

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Thu Oct 14 00:53:26 EDT 2010

Greenspiration News

P.S. Pass this onto a friend! -a

The NHL starts their regular season. Canadian men can now focus on our national game rather than our nation's condition. While our government condones torture, builds new prisons, buys new war toys, freezes out and malnourishes our senior citizens,disenfranchises our first nations, increases the gap between the rich and poor, we can cheer on our favorite squad of semi-literate goons and forget it's all happening. As our country slowly tilts toward a neo-feudal police state, we can take satisfaction knowing that there's a game on every night. - Marcus Alexander

The reusable bag - And they said it wouldn't catch on

Toronto's plastic bag bylaw marked its first anniversary in June.  Grocery stores’ distribution rate fell between 70 and 80%.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/story/2010/06/03/f-plastic-bag-tax.html#ixzz0qMhYdkoo
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
FBI cites terror link in raids of local activists

Agents raided the Minneapolis homes of five antiwar activists, seizing computers and documents.

http://www.startribune.com/local/103716104.html?elr=KArksUUUycaEacyU
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to Make Biking Mainstream: Lessons from the Dutch
What will it take to transform biking from a recreational pastime to an integral part of our transportation system?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Zero-mile dining - Produce that goes straight from sky to table

'We can grow vertically, just like a city managing people.'

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/food-and-wine/produce-that-goes-straight-from-sky-to-table/article1707767/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Ozone layer depletion has stopped, scientists say

The protective ozone layer in the earth's upper atmosphere has stopped thinning and should largely be restored by mid-century thanks to a ban on harmful chemicals, U.N. scientists said on Thursday.

http://www.grist.org/article/2010-09-16-ozone-layer-depletion-has-stopped-scientists-say/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
SUPPORT BILL C-440: Let U.S. Iraq War resisters stay in Canada

A seven-minute video outlining the history and necessity of passing Bill C-440 in Canada's Parliament in order to honour the will of the nearly two-thirds majority of Canadians who want American war resisters to be allowed to stay.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8Pv0YeSzr8
More info on the bill: http://www.letthemstay.ca/
War Resisters Support Campaign: http://www.resisters.ca/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Climate Change and Bicycling
How bicycling advocates can help craft comprehensive Climate Action Plans

http://www.bikeleague.org/resources/reports/pdfs/climate_change_bicycling.pdf
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Switzerland has women majority cabinet for first time

Swiss women have for the first time taken control of the reins of power in an Alpine country that denied any females the vote until 1971. But the Swiss male backlash has already begun. Rene Kuhn, author of a controversial Swiss book Back to the Woman and organiser of an international antifeminist conference in Switzerland next month is concerned about women running the country, rather than the home. "We all know that when lots of women work together there can be more problems," he said.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/switzerland/8018776/Switzerland-has-women-majority-cabinet-for-first-time.html
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Women's health news, articles and information that I trust

http://www.naturalnews.com/women.html
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Depression: Proven "Better Than Drugs" Solutions with Positive Side Effects

Here, medical journalist and Pulitzer Prize nominee Whitaker discusses how the widespread use of psychiatric drugs has contributed to the increase in mental illness.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/06/the-real-cause-of-americas-mental-illness-problem.aspx
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Trailblazing in Paris
E-Car Scheme to Tackle City's Permanent Congestion

The French capital is notorious for its traffic jams. Now the mayor of Paris has come up with a bold new plan to rid his city of tens of thousands of cars. If he pulls it off, the e-car sharing scheme may become a trailblazer for other congested cities around the world.

http://www.spiegel.de/international/europe/0,1518,721368,00.html
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Bicycles Replacing Cars - The Future Of E-Mobility

Electronic bicycles (e-bicycles) are faster, being capable of reaching speeds of 45 kilometres per hour, although besides needing moped insurance they also require a lightweight helmet to be worn. Some manufacturers have already secured approval for even faster e-bicycles, with a motor output in excess of 500 watts. In the future, all-weather models should also address concerns about getting soaked in a rain shower.

http://www.energy-daily.com/reports/Bicycles_Replacing_Cars_The_Future_Of_EMobility_999.html
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Oil in Eden: The Battle to Protect Canada's Pacific Coast

Watch this new 16 minute documentary on the battle to stop the proposed Enbridge Northern Gateway Pipeline from the Alberta Tar Sands, and the associated oil supertankers that would gravely threaten BC's spectacular coast.

http://thecanadian.org/k2/item/287-enbridge-pipeline-video
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
White House Going Solar — Again

Harper would be smart to follow Obama’s lead.

http://green.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/white-house-going-solar-again/?hp
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
October is Breast Cancer month
Breast cancer linked to traffic-related air pollution
Even after taking risk factors such as family history into account, they found that the incidence of breast cancer was markedly higher in more polluted zones.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health/breast-cancer-linked-to-traffic-related-air-pollution/article1746484/
CANCER: Health effect of air and water pollution
This research  project is a timely issue, as it refers to compelling environmental effects on our health,  Social Justice,  Ecojustice, and  Health policy.
http://www.ecopolitics.ca/airpol/cancer_air_water_pol.php

Prevent Cancer Now
http://www.preventcancernow.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Myth Buster: If a drug makes it to market, it's safe for everyone

Despite the various measures in place to enhance drug safety, adverse drug reactions remain one of the top 10 leading causes of death in Canada. Research shows that hospital admissions from adverse reactions are high and that many are preventable.  Experts estimate that over 95% of adverse reactions go unreported.

http://www.chsrf.ca/mythbusters/html/myth35_e.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Rich countries 'must slash living standards' to fight climate change

Living standards in Britain and other rich countries must fall sharply over the next decade if the world is to avoid catastrophic global warming, according to a leading climate research centre.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/environment/article6858326.ece

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in