T.O. Greenspiration Events: Can Cell Phones Cause Cancer?

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Nov 21 23:02:23 EST 2010

Toronto Greenspiration Events
- Pass this onto a friend! - angela
---------------------------------------

Inside Job

Playing at the Varsity theatres

Dates/times/locations here:
http://film-can.com/movie/Ontario/Toronto/Varsity+Cinemas,+Toronto/Inside+Job/23059

Narrated by Matt Damon, the film exposes the shocking truth behind the economic crisis of 2008. The global financial meltdown, at a cost of over $20 trillion, resulted in millions of people losing their homes and jobs. Through extensive research and interviews with major financial insiders, politicians and journalists, INSIDE JOB traces the rise of a rogue industry and unveils the corrosive relationships which have corrupted politics, regulation and academia.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2010 Canadian Labour International Film Festival (CLiFF)

Mon. 20 November  - Mon. 28 November
Innis Town Hall, 2 Sussex Avenue

FREE LABOUR FILMS

Join us to watch some of the best labour films from across the world. Share in the struggles of others and find out how workers all over the world are succeeding by standing up and speaking out!

For a complete list of films visit:
http://labourfilms.ca/cliff/cliff-2010/2010-complete-list-of-films/
(416) 970-2543 / festival at labourfilms.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2nd Annual Indigenous Sovereignty Week 2010

Indigenous Resistance and Renewal
21 – 28 November 2010, Toronto

Full Schedule:  http://www.defendersoftheland.org/toronto
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170827162936733

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Penguin Canada, Women’s Healthy Environments Network, and Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers Present National Book Award Finalist and Author of...

Disconnect
Can Cell Phones Cause Cancer?

Monday, November 22, 7:00 p.m. (Doors open at 6:30 p.m.)
Dalla Lana School of Public Health, 6th floor auditorium, Health Sciences Bldg., 155 College Street
Free

Book launch. Presentation, book signing to follow. Light refreshments will be served.

“This book will be a must-read for anyone who cares about our children’s brains.”
—David Servan-Schreiber, author of Anticancer

http://www.environmentalhealthtrust.org/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadian Women's Health Network (CWHN) presents:

Gender-bending Pollution & Environmental Justice:
The Way We Talk About Endocrine Disruption

Monday, Nov. 22, 7:30 to 9:00 p.m.
The Four Seasons Hotel Toronto, 21 Avenue Road (Tudor Stuart Room).
Please RSVP by Nov. 15 at admin at cwhn.ca

Dayna Nadine Scott, co-director of the National Network on Environments and Women's Health, will discuss the environmental health effects of long-term, low-dose exposure to pollutants, with a focus on the Aamjiwnaang First Nation reserve near Sarnia, ON. This community, in the midst of Canada's largest petro-chemical complex, has seen a drastic decline in male newborns in recent years.

Directors of the Centres of Excellence for Women's Health from across Canada will share their work, and CWHN's new Executive Director will host.

Scott is cross-appointed between York University’s law school and the Faculty of Environmental Studies. Her current research examines the way we talk about “endocrine disruption” from critical perspective. She completed a Post-Doctoral Fellowship at McGill’s Faculty of Law, and a Fulbright Fellowship at NYU Law School.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

FAFIA, the York University Centre for Feminist Research and Toronto Women’s City Alliance invite you to join us for a day-long event on:

What would you do with 1 billion dollars?
Budgeting for Women's Human Rights

Monday, November 22nd, 9:00am – 5:00pm
YMCA Downtown, 20 Grosvenor St., Toronto, ON
Free
RSVP: info at twca.ca or 647-235-8575
Lunch will be provided.

When the federal government makes decisions about how to spend our money, it is an expression of its priorities and its values. Those decisions affect everyone living in Canada and those decisions affect women and men differently.

Learn how the federal government makes decisions about spending and how those decisions impact women in Canada. Find out how women can advocate for change at the local and the federal level. Share your own priorities, develop a plan of action and create tools to address the needs of your community!

Workshop Agenda:
Morning topics: How Canada Commits to Women’s Human Rights
Federal Budget 101
Where does gender fit into the provincial and federal budget processes?

Afternoon topics:
How to challenge government decisions around the allocation of monies in the budget
Workshop: Creating Your Plan

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The American Revolution Jefferson's Republic. Is it dead?

with Sydney White, investigative journalist

Mon. Nov. 22, 6 - 8 p.m.
University of Toronto, 80 St. George Street, Lecture Hall 159
Presidential Assassinations from Lincoln to Kennedy.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Post-Election Mixer
Let's make sure the environment is not on Mayor Ford's 'Gravy Train'

Tuesday, November 23rd, 7:00pm
Revival, 783 College St (just east of Ossington)
RSVP: laura at torontoenvironment.org or 416-596-0660
Mayor Ford has made it clear the environment is not on his agenda - we have to assume many of the city's positive environmental policies and programs are on the "gravy train" he wants to stop.

Join the Toronto Environmental Alliance and community leaders such as Councillors Gord Perks and Shelley Carrol to strategize about how we can work together to keep building a green Toronto with the new Mayor and Council.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Human Rights Legal Support Centre G20 Workshop

Tues. November 23, 10 am - 1 pm OR 5 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Human Rights Legal Support Centre (8th floor - 180 Dundas St W., Toronto ON)

UPCOMING CLINIC FOR PEOPLE CONCERNED ABOUT DISCRIMINATORY TREATMENT DURING THE G20

This session will assist people who are thinking about filing a human rights application under the Human Rights Code  about their treatment during the G20.

You may have been treated in a discriminatory manner if the police or other G-20 authorities treated you negatively and differently because of your race, ethnic origin, place of origin, citizenship, age, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion or creed, or family/marital status. The session is also for people who had needs related to a disability, or related to another Code-related factor such as age or gender, if those needs were not recognized and meet by the police, for example, during the G-20.

The Human Rights Legal Support Centre (HRLSC) is holding two "application clinics" on Tuesday, November 23. One session is from 10:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.  Another session will be from 5:00 - 7:00 p.m.  Both sessions are identical - there is no need to attend both sessions.

These "hands-on" and practical sessions are designed to assist people to make their own applications to the HRTO. The sessions will include a brief  overview of the Human Rights Code and the HRTO Application form itself.
This will be a group session, followed by an opportunity for  people to speak briefly with lawyers from the HRLSC about their own matters.

To register for either session, please call: 416-314-6266 or 1-866-625-5179.
You can register by email at: karen.mcneilly.hrlsc [at] ontario.ca.

For more information, please visit:
http://www.hrlsc.on.ca/en/g20summit.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hunger Inquiry

Tuesday, November 23, 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Church of the Holy Trinity (beside the Eaton Centre)

The Recession Relief Coalition is hosting a public Hunger Inquiry that will examine the situation of hunger by engaging communities in sharing their experiences before an “expert panel” of eight individuals, chosen for their knowledge of and expertise in areas related to poverty and hunger.

The purpose of the inquiry is:

                • To identify the reasons people aren’t able to access sufficient quantities of nutritious food to maintain or enhance both their physical and mental health,
                • To document/collect evidence regarding the issues that arise from conditions of hunger and malnourishment,
                • To develop a report that includes a set of recommendations for addressing the many issues raised through the Inquiry, and
                • To mobilize the participation of a broad base of allies, coalition partners, and people affected by hunger and intersecting issues.

For more information and to download the event flyer, please visit http://recessionreliefcoalition.yolasite.com/hunger-inquiry.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Force of Nature: The David Suzuki Movie - Film and Green Networking Event

Tuesday, November 23, doors and table displays 6:15 p.m., film 7 p.m.
Fox Theatre, 2236 Queen St East, Toronto

Film screening of "Force of Nature: The David Suzuki Movie" – a portrait of the famous scientist, environmentalist, and broadcaster. Movie preceded by a green networking opportunity. Come out and meet like-minded Torontonians!

Admission: $7 for members, $10 for non-members. Raffle prizes available!!

Presented in collaboration with the Fox Theatre; Community info presented by Live Green Toronto South and East.
For a movie review, click here: http://www.foxtheatre.ca/schedule/index.html#day23

Info: Katie at 416-691-5173
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Indigenous Sovereignty Week 2010 presents:

Every inch of our land is who we are: protecting mother Earth, protecting traditional knowledge

Tues. Nov.  23, 7 pm - 9 pm
Fitzgerald Building, Room 103, University of Toronto - 150 College Street

Land, life, and language are inseparable from the identity of First Nations. Many First Nations still live in a traditional subsistence economy - gathering food and medicines, hunting and trapping for food and clothing, and building shelter on their traditional territories. Over thousands of years of living on and caring for the land, Indigenous Peoples have developed a vast and sensitive knowledge of their territories and the beings that live within them. Destruction of traditional food sources threatens the survival of Indigenous Peoples and their knowledge - but destruction of Indigenous Peoples also threatens the survival of the planet.

Aamjiwnaang First Nation, in Chemical Valley near Sarnia, has been devastated by toxins produced in the petrochemical plants near the community. The Wet'suwet'en First Nation in Northern BC is fighting the building of a pipeline to carry tar sands oil through their territory. Our speakers will talk about the struggles for environmental justice on these territories, and on strategies for preserving traditional ecological knowledge for future generations.

Speakers:
Ron Plain (Aamjiwnaang), has been a leader in environmental justice struggles by First Nations, particularly in his home community of Aamjiwnaang
Toghestiy Wet'suwet'en (Wet'suwet'en), hereditary title holder in the Wet'suwet'en nation
Leanne Simpson (to be confirmed), professor of Native Studies at Trent University
Moderator: Sylvia Plain (Aamjiwnang), organizer with the Native Students Association
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canning Workshop
Tues. Nov. 23, 6 p.m. - 8:30 p.m. (registration at 5:30)

Emmanuel Howard Park United Church on Roncesvalles Avenue (at 214 Wright Avenue).

$30 for West End Food Co-0- members, $35 for non-members
Presented by the West End Food Co-op

Heather Kilner, pickler of many years experience will be leading you through a delicious recipe - maybe that fall treat, pickled beets?

You will learn about the theory and practice of preserving, gain hands-on experience using a hot water bath canner, and leave with a jar of delicious preserves to take home with you. We will also take time to reflect on the meaning and significance of learning to preserve our own food, and our experiences of preserved food.

Please register online by visiting our website http://westendfood.coop

If you have any questions about the workshop please don't hesitate to contact me at katie at westendfood.coop

Happy Canning!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Growing Food and Justice For All Initiative

Tues. November 23rd, 6-9pm
at the Lawrence Heights Community Centre, 5 Replin Road (very close to the Lawrence West Subway station)

This is a unique opportunity to discuss injustices in our local and larger food system and how to take action to dismantle these injustices.

To learn more about the Growing Food and Justice for All Initiative, please follow this link http://www.growingfoodandjustice.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Power Update

Wednesday, November 24, Door 5:30 PM, presentations 6 p.m.
MaRS , 101 College St.

It's an exciting time for community power. Projects are up and running, and now we are looking at financing and investment alternatives and possibilities. Our guest speaker will be Jubran Whalan, the new Managing Director of the Community Power Fund.  He will be providing an update on the Community Power Fund's activities, including an overview of new investment opportunities.http://www.cpfund.ca/index.html  We will also hear from representatives from TREC Solar Share and Pukwis Energy Co-op.

RSVP to this Meetup:
http://www.meetup.com/SRI-Professionals/calendar/15394874/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Roma Human Rights: Europe’s Disgrace, Canada’s Shame

Film and Panel Discussion

Wednesday, November 24, 6:30 – 8:30 PM
Ontario Institute for Studies in Education (OISE) library, 252 Bloor St. W.

Film: Tataszentgyorgy – Janos Daroczi documents the rise of Hungary’s neo-nazi and fascist movements (2009, 37 min.)

Special Guest: Ujjal Dosanjh, MP for Vancouver South
Panelists: Gina Csanyi, Executive Director, Roma Community Centre
Ronald Lee, Romani author, historian and former instructor in Romani Diaspora studies at New College, U of T
Hedina Sijercic, Bosnian Romani writer, poet, activist and educator

Organized by Roma Community Centre, Toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

>> Homelessness and Climate Change: Are We Ready?
>>
>> A Presentation by Manuel Riemer
>> Community, Environment, & Justice Research Group at the Centre for Community Research, Learning & Action, Wilfrid Laurier University
>>
>> Wednesday, November 24th 5-7pm
>> Room 106, Health Sciences Building, 155 College Street
>>
>> Manuel Riemer will discuss an interdisciplinary study investigating the vulnerability of people experiencing absolute homelessness in the urban centres of Waterloo Region. University researchers in partnership with two peer researchers conducted 48 interviews with those experiencing homelessness to learn about how they experience and cope with extreme weather and other environmental justice issues. The findings were then linked to expected changes in weather based on data from existing climate models in order to assess future vulnerability. Researchers and their partners from the regional government committed to turn the research findings into concrete actions by implementing a comprehensive community engagement and knowledge transfer plan. This work resulted in the formation of a community reference group, follow-up meetings with people experiencing homelessness, a community report, and two planned Scenario Thinking workshops. Manuel will discuss the benefits of engaging a mixed group of stakeholders throughout the process as well as challenges that arose along the way, especially in ensuring that the voice of people experiencing homelessness was heard.

Presented by the Environmental Health Justice in the City research group & Centre for Urban Health Initiatives.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Resisting Colonization through Art

Part of the Art of Decolonization workshop series that explores how Indigenous peoples express the experience of colonization across artistic disciplines, how colonization is resisted through arts expression, how arts contributes to the maintenance/recovery of culture and language, the intersections of decolonization work for both racialized and indigenous communities and, how relationships within and among communities are built using artistic processes, presented by Community Arts Ontario in partnership with Jumblies Theatre and Fixt Point Studio.

Thur. November 25, 6:00 – 9:00 pm
FIXT POINT Studio, 1550 Queen Street West
$20 per seminar, CAO members, Students, Seniors, Unsalaried: $10

For more information, or to Register email cao at communityartsontario.ca
Advance registration advised as space is limited.

Much of the explosion in modern art among Indigenous people arises from resistance to colonization and leads to cultural reclamation. This workshop explores the world’s colonial foundations and how artists seek their place in it and out of it, through their art mediums.

Lee Maracle, born in North Vancouver, B.C., is of Salish and Cree ancestry and a member of the Sto:loh Nation. She is a mother of four and grandmother of four. Maracle is the author of a number of critically acclaimed literary works including: Sojourner's and Sundogs, Ravensong, Bobbi Lee, Daughters Are Forever, Will's Garden, Bent Box, and I Am Woman. She is also the co-editor of a number of anthologies including the award-winning publication, My Home As I Remember, and co-author of Telling It: Women and Language Across Culture. Maracle is currently the distinguished visiting professor of Canadian culture at Western Washington University.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Privatization of Reserve Lands: The Conservative Shortcut to Assimilation of Status Indians?

Thursday, November 25, 7 – 9 PM
Music Room at Hart House (University of Toronto), 7 Hart House Circle

Since the 1800s, Canada has been seeking to terminate Indigenous Peoples and extinguish their title to their lands. From the 1850s on, a favoured strategy has been the conversion of reserve lands into "fee simple" lands that can be bought and sold like other lands - including to non-Native people. This idea was most clearly put forward in the infamous White Paper of 1969, and the Buffalo Jump memo of the 1980s, a cabinet memo that described how "fee simple", among other policy tools, would channel Indigenous Peoples to voluntary termination and extinguishment. Today, in a massive push by the Department of Indian Affairs and high-powered Conservative thinkers close to Stephen Harper - including the Fraser Institute and Harper's mentor Tom Flanagan - the idea of fee simple is again being peddled to Indians as a panacea. Despite the legacy of colonialism and racism surrounding the creation of reserve lands, reserve lands have served to anchor Indigenous Peoples in their traditional territories. Fee simple has only one goal - the alienation of reserve lands, the extinguishment of Aboriginal title, and the termination of Indigenous Peoples. Hear how the government is trying to roll out this policy, and how it can be stopped.

Speakers:

Arthur Manuel (Secwepemc), veteran of the Sun Peaks struggle, former chief of Neskonlith First Nation, and spokesperson for Defenders of the Land and Indigenous Network on Economies and Trade

Armand Mackenzie (Innu), Innu Lawyer for the Council of Nitassinan, has been defending his nation from low-level military flights and hydro projects for over 15 years.

Bertha Wilson (Coast Salish), continues to fight the Tsawassen treaty which privatized her people's land

Pamela Palmater (Mi'kmaq),  chair in Indigenous Governance and Associate Professor in the Department of Politics and Public Administration at Ryerson University

Moderator: Heather Dorries (Anishinaabe)

Sponsored by Indigenous Law Journal, University of Toronto Initiative on Indigenous Governance, Aboriginal Law Students Association, Barriere Lake Solidarity

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Blair lied. Iraqis died.

Anti-war rally at the Tony Blair/Christopher Hitchens debate in Toronto

Friday, November 26
Assemble at: 5:30 p.m.
Rally: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
Roy Thompson Hall, 60 Simcoe Street (south of King Street West)
TTC: St. Andrew. Map and directions: http://bit.ly/cZlTil

Rally on Facebook: http://bit.ly/BLAIRLIED

Former British Prime Minister Tony Blair is coming to Toronto to debate pro-war writer Christopher Hitchens about the role of religion in world affairs (http://bit.ly/anCHGm). As prime minister, Blair gave full backing to the US-led war on Iraq, despite overwhelming opposition in Britain and around the world. Since then, Blair has been exposed as having lied about Weapons of Mass Destruction (WMDs) in Iraq, saying famously that Iraqi WMDs could strike Europe within 45 minutes. No WMDs were ever found.

An ongoing public inquiry in Britain continues to reveal differences between what Blair's government argued in the lead-up to the Iraq War and what was actually the case (http://bit.ly/bqvs1h). Blair's support for the illegal Iraq War amounts to war crimes.

The recent leak of 400,000 secret documents by WikiLeaks (http://bit.ly/bgiRjt) proves that the anti-war movement was right to oppose the Iraq War, and that Tony Blair - and Christopher Hitchens, for that matter - can no longer justify their support for what has become a complete and total human disaster. According to the British medical journal, The Lancet, hundreds of thousands of Iraqis have died as a result of the war (http://huff.to/aBKDKl and http://bit.ly/9wgXRb). The country remains in ruins.

In 2003, then-members of the Opposition Stephen Harper and Jason Kenney condemned Canada's decision to stay out of the war, saying that a Conservative-led government would have sent Canadian troops to Iraq.

Harper's Conservatives wanted Canada to join the war in Iraq: http://bit.ly/ctIbP4 (YouTube)

Canadian politician Jason Kenney angrily defends George W. Bush as Iraq War begins - March 20, 2003: http://bit.ly/dl8U1k (YouTube)

Tony Blair has been hounded by anti-war protests wherever he has appeared in public around the world - and rightly so. Please join with us in Toronto to give Blair - BLIAR - the welcome he deserves, and demand accountability for his role in war crimes in Iraq.

Bring banners, placards, and noise-makers!

Organized by Toronto Coalition to Stop the War
To endorse, please e-mail info at nowar.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Laugh-In at the Revue Cinema

Fri. 26 November · 7:00 - 9:00 pm
Revue Cinema, 400 Roncesvalles Avenue
Family-Friendly Fun for All Ages!

Experience the new breakthrough in laughter and see the hit film "Laughology" at the same time.

"Laughologist" Albert Nerenberg returns to Toronto to host a screening of his hysterical hit film Laughology at the Revue, Roncevalles. There will be Laughter Yoga and a Laughter Competition with prizes for your best belly-aching, knees-slapping chortles after Albert demonstrates his Active Laughter techniques guaranteed to have audi...ences rolling in the aisles...

PRIZES FOR:  * Best Diabolical Laugh * Best Alabama Kneeslapper * Best Chortle

$10 - Adults; $7 - Kids  ***All proceeds go to the Howard Park Public Schoolyard Rejuvenation Project.***

Tickets are available at Scooter Girl, Mabel's Bakery, and Envoy on Roncesvalles Avenue. Contact kammeramediagroup at gmail.com for further information.

Presented by High Park Resident's Association. With thanks to the generosity of event sponsors Jeff D. Derksen and Shelagh Henshaw, Royal LePage.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

REVERBERATIONS: Community, Healing & Social Activism through Music

Fri. 26 November · 7:00 - 9:00 pm
3rd Floor Student Lounge, Factor Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, U of T, 246 Bloor Street West

This is a FREE event organizing by the Raging Asian Women Taiko Drummers (RAW), supported by the Toronto Arts Council, San Jose Taiko, and the Arts and Social Work Research Initiative (ASWRI) of the Factor Inwentash Faculty of Social Work at the University of Toronto.

For more information, please contact young at ragingasianwomen.ca or visit http://ragingasianwomen.ca/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Whole Life Expo - November 26, 27 & 28

Metro Toronto Convention Centre

Canada's largest showcase of Natural Health, Alternative Medicine and Eco-Friendly lifestyles.

Keynote Speaker: Nicholas Gonzalez, MD
Saturday November 27, Lecture Hall #206, 1:00pm - 4:00pm

Dr. Nicholas Gonzalez heads a clinic in New York devoted to treating cancer patients with non-toxic protocols. At this workshop he will discuss the physiology and biochemistry of dietary and nutritional individuality...

Whole Life Expo Link

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
In Search of Mother Nature - Book Launch & Presentation on:
Kangen Water - Healing Water from Japan
Briefing on the Kingdom Project By Reuben Berger
www.insearchofmothernature.com
Sat. Nov. 27th @ 7:30
401 Richmond St. W. Suite 384
Please RSVP to: reubenthepoet.com to reserve your spot.

"I recently met Reuben (through Kangen water).  He is like a new born- a refreshingly bright light, pure lovingkindness, walking on his true path with a vision of creating a place where we all live in harmony and support each other. He wants to share with everyone how to find harmony in our lives.  He has just finished his book about his healing journey.  His story is not “extra”ordinary but yet it is because he is (almost) a regular guy just like the rest of us.  Through his words and perspective, we realize how each one of us is extraordinary and can live freely, fully and joyfully."    -  Julia Gardener

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

20 YEARS OF THE ONTARIO COALITION AGAINST POVERTY (OCAP)
20 Years of Fighting to Win

Saturday November 27th, 6:30 pm – 1 am
Cecil Street Community Centre - 58 Cecil Street, Toronto

Sliding scale - $0 to $100

Community Dinner, Re-enactments, Music, the OCAP Awards, Toasts and Roasts.

Twenty years ago in November, the founding conference of the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) took place.

On November 27, at the Cecil Street Community Centre (58 Cecil Street), we will be holding a party to remember the long road we’ve traveled and celebrate our struggles for the future. We invite everyone to join us on in this momentous celebration!
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/event.php?eid=110661165665551
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Cyclists Union Advocacy Program Re-Launch Event

Sat. November 27th, 1-5pm

Evergreen Brick Works (see map)

Don't know how to get there?  Plan your visit here.  **Please note:  Evergreen's free shuttle service will have extended hours on Saturday, November 27th between Broadview Station and Evergreen Brick Works to accommodate event participants.**

Please RSVP by November 22nd here.  Snacks and drinks will be provided.

Toronto has a new Council with 14 new faces and a new mayor.  Now it's time to engage cyclists across the city to make their voices heard, from Scarborough to Etobicoke, demanding safe streets for all users.

The Toronto Cyclists Union would like to invite you to our Advocacy Program Re-Launch Event!  Join us for a productive afternoon workshop where we can set goals and priorities for the next Council term. Now we’re co-hosting a bigger and better event thanks to our partnership with Evergreen and 8-80 Cities!  If you’d like to participate in a broader visioning session for accessibility to the Evergreen Brick Works site, please arrive at 10am.

Update:  We’ve been working hard to put together a helpful advocacy toolkit based on feedback from existing ward groups.  We’re happy to announce that this cycling advocacy guide will be available at the event on November 27th.  We’ll be providing copies to each group to use as they workshop their goals.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Family concert - Celebrate Holidays of the Global Village

with Chris McKhool and Friends

Super fun family show.  Please bring a donation for Daily Bread and Artscan if you can, thanks!

WHO:            Chris McKhool JUNO Nominee & 3x Parents' Choice Award Winner
                     & Special Guests: Suba Sankaran, Aviva Chernick, Shannon Thunderbird,
                     Maryem Hassan Tollar, Ernie Tollar, Kevin Laliberte, Drew Birston, & Jordan Klapman!
WHAT:          "Celebrate:  Holidays of the Global Village"
                     Fundraising Family Concert for Daily Bread Food Bank and ArtsCan Circle
WHERE:        Trinity St. Paul's Centre, 427 Bloor Street West (at Spadina), Toronto- Wheelchair accessible
WHEN:          Saturday, November 27, 1:00pm
COST:           Free Public Event  Donations of non-perishable food items are greatly appreciated.
ENQUIRIES:   lw at lwcommunications.ca  416-624-3466 (office) 416-846-6877 (cell)

Presented by Earthworks Community Music in partnership with Small World Music http://www.smallworldmusic.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2nd Annual Indigenous Sovereignty Week 2010 presents:

Mobilizing support for Canada to implement the United Nations Declaration on the RIghts of Indigenous Peoples

Sat. Nov. 27, 11 am - 2 pm

Bowing to intense political pressure, Canada has finally signed the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples - with caveats and provisos. KAIROS Canada has chosen to make the UN Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples its major focus for 2010-2011. Come learn about the UNDRIP, its background, and how you can be part of the campaign to get Canada to implement it.

Speaker: Arthur Manuel (Secwepemc), Defenders of the Land & Indigenous Network on Economies and Trade

---

Symposium on building new relationships between Indigenous and non-Indigenous peoples, and working in solidarity

Sun. Nov. 28, 9:30 am - 5:00 pm
Canada's termination policy - an overview by Roger Obonsawin (Abenaki)
Building Indigenous unity -a workshop with Roger Obonsawin
Learning lessons from the past and present of solidarity organizing with Ed Bianchi (KAIROS)
Indigenous Solidarity for people of colour
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170827162936733

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pushing Forward: Growing your career in the good food movement

http://pushfoodforward.com/goodjobsevent

Saturday, November 27th, full afternoon program

University of Toronto, Sanford Flemming Building

The booming food sector is providing a number of exciting opportunities for today’s job seekers and those looking for a change of career. Already making up one out of every eight of Toronto’s jobs, food jobs are providing a key component of the City’s employment market and economy.

The purpose of this afternoon is to provide a series of educational and interactive sessions for people interested in getting or starting a job in the food or environmental sector that will also make a difference in society. Key for those interested in opportunities in social entrepreneurship, food businesses, farmers' markets, corporate sustainability, writing and publishing, co-operatives, non-profits.

Speakers and workshops:
- Harriet Friedmann, leading food policy researcher, Geography Professor and fellow of the Centre for International Studies, University of Toronto
- Nogah Kornberg, Executive Director of Young Social Entrepreneurs of Canada
- Melissa Shin, Managing Editor, Corporate Knights Magazine
- Anne Freeman, Co-ordinator of the Dufferin Grove Organic Farmers’ Market and the Greenbelt Farmers’ Market Network
- "Unconference" style session on food sector work
- Post-event social and networking opportunity
- And more...

Cost: $45.

Registration: Register for this event by contributing $45 on our Get Involved page. Current Supporters and those paying on the day of can register by emailing, and anyone with questions, please write: darcy at pushfoodforward.com

Sponsored by: Dig In: U of T Campus Agriculture

This event is a fundraiser for the work of Food Forward, which is advocating for food policy change in Toronto and working to strengthen the City's food movement.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Evolve Love: Love in a Time of Climate Crisis
- Film Event and Fundraiser for Velcrow Ripper
Saturday, November 27th @ 7 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Avenue (St. George subway station)

The Toronto Buddhist Peace Fellowship, Friends of the Planet and Velcrow Ripper are happy to invite you to a fun- raiser event to help with the production of this wonderful film and to help Velcrow on his journey to Cancun, Mexico for the U.N. Climate Summit. Velcrow is raising $25 thousand with your help to cool this planet which is cool because everything is heating up fast and the Earth can't take the heat.

Evolve Love has already filmed in Bolivia, the Alberta Tar Sands and during the G-20 Summit in Toronto...what an experience! We want to keep this "movement of love" filming along in the "Fierce Love Trilogy" Velcrow is also wanting to go film in the eco-shangri-la of Gaviotas, Colombia , one of the world's oldest eco-villages.

You can help Velcrow before this event by going to: www.kickstarter.com/profile/velcrowripper
Make a pledge of any amount right away! Velcrow is ready to go with your support to film the greatest love story ever! Our love for our mother earth.

Toronto Buddhist Film Festival- 416-604-5711  torbpf at hotmail.com
By Donation and By your love for the Earth!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Hiroshima Survivor Speaks To JETAA

Join JETAA Toronto for a very special event, as we welcome Ms. Setsuko Thurlow, a survivor of the atomic bombing of Hiroshima in 1945.

Saturday, Nov. 27, 2 - 4 p.m.
Japan Information Centre Event Room, at the Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre (JCCC)
Suite 110, 6  Garamond Court, Don Mills, ON (map)
Free! Light refreshments will be served.
RSVP: jetaa.events at gmail.com

Ms Thurlow was a 13-year-old schoolgirl when the bomb was dropped. Working in a building near the hypocentre, she was was buried in rubble by the blast, but amazingly survived. Today the Toronto-based writer and peace activist has dedicated herself to educating people about the horrors of nuclear war.

The film "Flashes Of Hope: Hibakusha Travelling The World" documents the Global Voyage for a Nuclear-Free World. Ms Thurlow and about 100 hibakusha (atomic bomb survivors) sailed for four months aboard the "Peace Boat", sharing their experiences with citizens and political leaders at all their ports of call.

Join Ms Thurlow and JETAA Toronto for a special screening of the documentary followed by a film discussion and refreshments.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Addictions Unplugged
Sun. Nov. 28
George Ignatieff Theatre, 15 Devonshire Place, U of T
2 workshops in one day
- The Biology of Addiction and Recovery - 9 - 11:30 a.m.
- Dangerous Liaisons: Comfort and Food - 12:30 - 4 p.m.

http://www.addictionsunplugged.com/conferences.html
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

In Retrospect
A conversation about 10 years of Palestine solidarity activism in Toronto

Sunday, November 28, 2-5 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (at Bathurst subway)

Panelists: Naomi Binder Wall, Sue Goldstein, Nahed Mansour, Mohammed Mohsen, Khaled Mouammar
Organized and moderated by: Gita Hashemi

The 10th anniversary of the Second Intifada also marks the 10th anniversary of the Friday vigil in front of the Israeli Consulate held by Women in Solidarity with Palestine (formerly Jewish Women's Committee to End the Occupation, JWCEO). As we observe these anniversaries on the occasion of the International Day of Solidarity with the Palestinian People, we ask: How has our work related to the events on the ground in Palestine-Israel and how has it changed? Where are we now and where do we want to go with our activisms?

As the dynamics in Palestine-Israel have evolved and events unfolded over the past ten years we have witnessed both continuities and changes in the directions, the politics and the faces of solidarity activisms in Toronto. In this conversation we open a space for reflecting on the diversity and the intersections of our local solidarity activisms in the last decade.

Please join us and participate in a stimulating and productive conversation as our panel of activists share their perspectives on some of the key events, moments and formations that have shaped Palestine solidarity activisms in Toronto.

More info:
http://www.beitzatoun.org
http://www.facebook.com/beitzatoun
info at beitzatoun.org

---------------------------------------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in