No Nukes News - Stop a $35 billion nuclear handout

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Mon Dec 20 17:26:25 EST 2010

No Nukes News

Dec. 20, 2010

Blessings of the season.

Here’s to a non-nuclear 2011!

- a

-------------------

   ‘There is, as yet, no proven technical solution for the long-term
management of radioactive wastes, and in the meantime we are storing up
large quantities of high level spent fuel and intermediate-level
<http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/599919/eu_nuclear_waste_disp
osal_plans_not_safe_claim_scientists.html> radioactive waste in interim
stores at each reactor site’. - Prof Andrew Blowers, a member of the first
Government Committee on Radioactive Waste Management

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/active/0/NuclearHandout_v5.pdf>
NuclearHandout_v5-1 (2)Our new pamphlets have arrived: Stop a $35 Billion
Nuclear Handout: No More Blank Cheques for Ontario Power Generation and its
Darlington Nuclear Station
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/active/0/NuclearHandout_v5.pdf> .
They contain postcards addressed to Premier McGuinty and the Leader of the
Opposition Tim Hudak. Order FREE copies here
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets> .  Give them
to your friends, neighbours, local coffee shops, etc. Help get the word out
that there are lower cost and safer ways to meet all our electricity needs
without investing tens of billions of $$ in nuclear energy.

ACTION ALERT! – Public Hearing for new nuclear reactors at Darlington

The Ontario Government plans to build up to four new nuclear reactors at the
site of the Darlington Nuclear Generating Station near Oshawa.
A joint panel appointed over a year ago to conduct an environmental review
of the proposal announced on December 14th that the public hearing will
begin March 21st, 2011
The panel has declared that anyone wanting to speak at the hearing or
provide written comments (or both) must register their intention to do so by
January 13th.

That's right! You must register by January 13th -- 67 days in advance of the
March 21st hearing start!

You can register on-line and the Hearing Panel secretariat will then contact
you with "details" such as the hearing location and exact
schedule (the hearing will be held in Durham Region) - the link is
http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/commission/joint_review_panel/darlington/
jrp_form/index_darlington.cfm

Alternatively, you can contact the Secretariat at 1-866-582-1884 or by email
at  darlington.review at ceaa-acee.gc.ca  and provide them with your contact
information, an indication if you want to make an oral presentation to the
panel or provide a written submission, and describe your area of interest in
the proposal.

Don't delay! Do it today!

For more details about the hearing or information about the proposal to
build up to four new nuclear reactors at Darlington please visit the
following sites:

*	Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission at
http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/commission/joint_review_panel/darlington/
index.cfm
*	Canadian Environmental Assessment Agency at
http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/details-eng.cfm?evaluation=29525
<http://www.ceaa-acee.gc.ca/050/details-eng.cfm?evaluation=29525>
*	Greenpeace at
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/campaigns/end-the-nuclear-threat/
*	Ontario Clean Air Alliance at  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/>
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/

Nuclear refit a huge task

OPG chief says industry learned from mistakes, vows overhaul will be safe,
on time, on budget

http://www.newsdurhamregion.com/articlePrint/167766

Feds' plans to sell AECL melting down amid weak interest in Candu technology

The Harper government's plans to sell the troubled Candu unit of Atomic
Energy of Canada Ltd., appear at risk of unravelling, with one of the two
official bidders said to be wavering in its commitment to take on the
challenge of marketing new Candu reactors.

One nuclear-industry expert said it's not surprising SNC would be getting
cold feet, given the delays and massive cost overruns often associated with
building new reactors.

http://www.montrealgazette.com/business/Feds+plans+sell+AECL+melting+down+am
id+weak+interest+Candu+technology/3989860/story.html

-------

An 11th-hour bid for Candu reactor unit

The offer put together by Canadian entrepreneur Andrew Day is the only bid
thus far focused solely on building and marketing new Candu reactors. The
other two bidders, SNC Lavalin and Bruce Power, are believed to be primarily
interested in AECL's refurbishment and engineering-services lines of
business, which generate a steady stream of revenue through contracts to
offer technical support and extend the life of reactors across Canada.
Whatever the case, the winning bid is unlikely to be very impressive in
dollar terms, industry sources say. The government is more interested in
getting the troubled Crown corporation off its books than generating a major
windfall from the sale.

Since 2006-7, the federal government has plowed $1.74 billion in public
funding into AECL. Last year, the Candu division lost $331 million, even
after receiving $124 million in parliamentary appropriations.

http://www2.canada.com/victoriatimescolonist/news/business/story.html?id=95d
0e584-1d8d-46cd-9fd6-71255142bd33

Have your say Ontarians

Ask Tim Hudak to tell Ontario Power Generation that a Hudak Government will
not allow it to pass its cost overruns associated with its proposed
Darlington Re-Build Project on to Ontario’s electricity consumers and
taxpayers.  Scroll down to the Environment section, and then scroll down to
the Yourself section where you can expand with a few sentences. Thanks.

http://haveyoursayontario.ca/

The government isn’t telling us the true cost of nuclear waste disposal

The Ecologist - UK plans for ten new nuclear power plants will create £80
billion worth of radioactive waste that we still have no secure way of
disposing

http://www.theecologist.org/blogs_and_comments/commentators/other_comments/6
91982/the_government_isnt_telling_us_the_true_cost_of_nuclear_waste_disposal
.html

Nuclear power plant to be mothballed

Even though it will shut down in nine years, the Oyster Creek nuclear power
plant — including its reactor and tons of radioactive waste — will remain
part of the Lacey landscape for perhaps decades to come. Plants can take up
to 60 years to decommission, he noted.

http://www.app.com/article/20101209/NEWS03/12090331/Oyster-Creek-s-nucler-po
wer-plant-to-be-mothballed

Into Eternity

This jaw-dropping documentary tackles a subject almost beyond comprehension
– radioactive nuclear waste

Madsen's film is about Onkalo, a colossal underground tomb being built in
Finland, 500 metres below the earth – supposedly impervious to any event on
the surface and far away from any possible earthquake danger: its purpose is
to house thousands of tonnes of radioactive nuclear waste.

The point is that, to be safe, this gigantic bunker has to last 100,000
years. Are we humans capable of even conceiving this, let alone actually
guaranteeing it? Our own history spans a few paltry millennia. We have, of
course, created nothing that has lasted anything like this length of time.
And yet Onkalo has to do it – there is no question about this. Finland is
building something that must outlast every institution humans have ever
conceived.

This is nothing less than post-human architecture we are talking about. Why
isn't every government, every philosopher, every theologian, everywhere in
the world discussing Onkalo and its implications? I don't know, but they
should see this film.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/nov/11/into-eternity-film-review

Recklessness with Nuclear Waste

Hanford remains one of the most contaminated zones in the western
Hemisphere.

http://www.ips-dc.org/blog/recklessness_with_nuclear_waste

Stand up for Solar

Stand Up For Solar is a new advocacy effort to showcase public and industry
support for solar energy in Ontario and Canada. Our website portal provides
one location for interested individuals to show their support for solar
energy and the need for continued government support that helps to make
Ontario and Canada a positive environment for investment in solar energy
production. Send an email to your MPP here, and learn more about solar
energy.

http://www.standupforsolar.ca/

ecoENERGY shutdown is killing Ontario jobs

“Home energy efficiency retrofits is a billion dollar industry in Ontario
and we’re about to lose it,” warned Clifford Maynes, Executive Director of
Green Communities Canada.
Government incentives for home energy efficiency investments are slated to
end in March 2011, and so far neither Ottawa nor Queen’s Park have announced
plans to keep the industry alive beyond the expiry of current programs.
“Energy efficiency is the most effective way to create green jobs and
business opportunities. Increasing energy productivity should be the
cornerstone of Ontario’s green economy,” Maynes said.

http://www.huffstrategy.com/MediaManager/release/Green-Communities-Canada/13
-12-10/Interview-Opportunity---ecoENERGY-shutdown-is-killing-Ontario-job/215
6.html

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance