Greenspiration News: 10 Most Hopeful Stories of 2010

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sat Jan 1 18:58:38 EST 2011

Greenspiration News

Need a wall calendar? I have bicycle calendars for sale - the images are all of bikes in lesser developed nations.
Send $10 (plus $2 shipping) to: Tooker Gomberg Activist Fund, 19 A Withrow Ave, Toronto, ON M4K 1C8

Have a great year changing the world!
-angela
--------

"What happened in 2010 stays in 2010." - Noelle B.
--------

"Before Santa and presents and shopping and all the attendant Christmas (stuff) got involved, this holiday was enshrined to commemorate a guy who got nailed to a tree for daring to tell people to be kind to one another. If you have two cloaks, He said, give one away. Remember those who have less than you, be charitable, be good, be merciful... Help someone if you can. Hold close to you who and what you love. Be fiercely present in these mad days, to whatever extent is reasonable for you. Remember what we can do, together, if we lean in to the task."  - writer William Rivers Pitt

Ten Most Hopeful Stories of 2010

There was plenty of disappointment and hardship this year. Nonetheless, events from 2010 also contain the seeds of transformation.

1. Climate Crisis Response Takes a New Direction.
2. Wikileaks Lifts the Veil.
3. Momentum is Building for the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons.
4. Resilience is the New Watchword.
5. Health Care—Still in Play.
6. Corporate Power Challenged.
7. A local economy movement is taking of
8. Cooperatives Make a Comeback.
9. A Turn Away from Homophobia.
10. Social Movements Still Our Best Hope.

http://www.truth-out.org/ten-most-hopeful-stories-201066308

Welcome Back - Heathrow Airport

This is the best flash mob I've seen. -a

http://www.flixxy.com/welcome-back-heathrow-airport-t-mobile.htm

Cool Our Fever

This truly incredible article explores the solar revolution in Germany, how to strip oil of its strategic value, making polluters pay, internalizing profit while externalizing costs, lessons from Europe, alternatives to nuclear, taxes and more. A must read.

http://www.truth-out.org/cool-our-fever66299

3 min. Interview with Enrique Peñalosa about urban transportation

As mayor of Bogota, Colombia, Enrique Penalosa accomplished remarkable changes of monumental proportions for the people of his country in just three years. Penalosa changed the way Bogota treated its non-driving citizens by restricting automobile use and instituting a bus rapid transit system which now carries a 1/2 million residents daily. Among other improvements: he widened and rebuilt sidewalks, created grand public spaces, and implemented over one hundred miles of bicycle paths.

http://www.streetfilms.org/interview-with-enrique-penalosa-short/

Canada discovers trickle-up economics
by Linda McQuaig

There’s been a massive transfer of income and wealth from Canada’s middle and lower class to the rich. The result is that Canada has become a highly unequal society. This is bad news, since a growing body of empirical evidence shows that extreme inequality has a clearly negative effect on a wide range of health, social and economic problems, as well as undermining democracy.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/columns/article/911829--canada-discovers-trickle-up-economics

The Year in Pills

Here is 2010's Hall of Shame...

http://yubanet.com/opinions/Martha-Rosenberg-The-Year-in-Pills.php

Deadly Medicine
Prescription drugs kill some 200,000 Americans every year. Will that number go up, now that most clinical trials are conducted overseas—on sick Russians, homeless Poles, and slum-dwelling Chinese—in places where regulation is virtually nonexistent, the F.D.A. doesn’t reach, and “mistakes” can end up in pauper’s graves? The authors investigate the globalization of the pharmaceutical industry, and the U.S. Government’s failure to rein in a lethal profit machine.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2011/01/deadly-medicine-201101

Pharma Drug Money - Fraud and Corruption

Al Jazeera's People & Power investigates fraud and corruption running through the veins of the US pharmaceutical industry.  24 minute video doc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TwdsYVHjGA

Trauma: How We've Created a Nation Addicted to Shopping, Work, Drugs and Sex
Post-industrial capitalism has completely destroyed the conditions required for healthy childhood development.
From disease to addiction, parenting to attention deficit disorder, Canadian physician and bestselling author Gabor Maté’s work focuses on the centrality of early childhood experiences to the development of the brain, and how those experiences can impact everything from behavioral patterns to physical and mental illness.

http://www.alternet.org/world/149325/trauma:_how_we%27ve_created_a_nation_addicted_to_shopping,_work,_drugs_and_sex/?page=entire

Cellphone safety: What aren't they telling us?

We keep hearing studies saying we don't need to worry about cellphones.  CBC's Wendy Mesley speaks with author Devra Davis, whose new book, Disconnect: The Truth About Cell Phone Radiation, What the Industry Has Done to Hide it, and How to Protect Your Family, reveals how one of the world's largest industries is taking this very seriously.

http://www.cbc.ca/thenational/indepthanalysis/wendymesley/2010/09/cellphone_safety_what_arent_they_telling_us.html

2010 in review: Here's what happened in the world of natural health and health freedom

http://www.naturalnews.com/030887_2010_health_freedom.html

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in