Greenspiration News: Paradise Unpaved

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Jan 24 17:31:22 EST 2011

Greenspiration News

Sorry for the problems related to my last Greenspiration Newsletter. I'm not sure what's up but I'm trying to figure it out. Please let me know when you're not able to read my newsletters. Thanks.
Peace... -a

Naomi Klein: Addicted to risk

Naomi at her best - a 20 minute TEDWomen Talk.  Our societies have become addicted to extreme risk in finding new energy, new financial instruments and more ... and too often, we're left to clean up a mess afterward. Klein's question: What's the backup plan?

http://www.ted.com/talks/naomi_klein_addicted_to_risk.html

Paradise Unpaved

This North Toronto family ripped up their asphalt driveway and replaced it with a lovely garden. Here's how:

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/01/guerilla-diy-bike-lane-guadalajara-citizens-video.php

Toronto G20: Will Police Be Held Accountable After Scathing Ombudsman's Report?

Paul Jay: If use of "martial law" was illegal, are most arrests at G20 also illegal?

10 min. Real News video: http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=6125
Canadian Department of Peace has a petition campaign on this site: http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/department-of-peace.html

until Jan 31st.  Please click to go to the site and vote ‘yes’ to peace!

Montrealers Are Feeding Fish Prozac; Research Shows Influence on Brain Activity While Long-Term Consequences Are Unclear

Around one in four Montrealers take some kind of anti-depressant, and according to new research, the drugs are passing into the waterways and affecting fish. The findings are internationally significant as the city's sewage treatment system is similar to that in use in other major cities. The research team found that the drugs accumulate in fish tissues and are affecting the fish's brain activity.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2011/01/110121103748.htm
http://www.cbc.ca/canada/montreal/story/2011/01/21/anti-depressants-water-montreal.html

Cell Phone Numbers Go Public this month.

REMINDER..... all cell phone numbers are being released to telemarketing companies and you will start to receive sales calls.

.... YOU WILL BE CHARGED FOR THESE CALLS!!

To prevent this, go to the following web-site for Canadian Telephone Numbers:
                                                     www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca

It is the National DO NOT CALL list It will only take a minute of your time.. It blocks your number for five (5) years.

Lead 101: 20 Things You Need to Know

What you cannot see definitely can hurt you.
http://janetsplanet.ca/

The Conservative prison policy is a white elephant with bars

In its first major policy announcements of 2011, the Conservative government revealed eight additional prison expansions, putting new bars on the windows and adding new walls to (by latest count) 24 facilities across Canada, at a cost of $2 billion over five years.

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2011/01/conservative-prison-policy-white-elephant-bars

Deadly Medicine
Prescription drugs kill some 200,000 Americans every year. Will that number go up, now that most clinical trials are conducted overseas—on sick Russians, homeless Poles, and slum-dwelling Chinese—in places where regulation is virtually nonexistent, the F.D.A. doesn’t reach, and “mistakes” can end up in pauper’s graves? The authors investigate the globalization of the pharmaceutical industry, and the U.S. Government’s failure to rein in a lethal profit machine.

http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2011/01/deadly-medicine-201101

C - 2010 tied for world's hottest year

Last year was Canada's warmest year on record and tied 2005 for the hottest worldwide.

The average global land surface temperatures in 2010 were 1 C above the average for the 20th century — the warmest since record-keeping began in 1880, the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration reported Wednesday.

Global ocean surface temperatures were tied with 2005 for the third-warmest on record. The year was also the wettest on record, in terms of average global precipitation.

In Canada, the national average temperature for the year 2010 was 3.0 C above normal, based on preliminary data, Environment Canada reported in its annual climate trends and variations bulletin, released earlier this week.

That makes it the warmest year on record since nationwide records began in 1948. The previous warmest year,1998, was just 2.5 C above normal.

The report said the entire country experienced above-normal temperatures, but Nunavut and northern Quebec were most extreme, with average temperatures at least 4 C above normal. Atlantic Canada was only
2.1 C above normal, but that still made 2010 the region's warmest on record.

Overall, Canada has warmed an average of 1.6 C over the past 63 years.

Read more:
http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2011/01/12/environment-2010-climate-hottest-warmest-year.html

Mark Kennedy knew of second undercover eco-activist

PC who infiltrated green movement is understood to have confirmed existence of a fellow police spy
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/jan/10/mark-kennedy-second-undercover-ecoactivist

Teenage Mental Patient - Leah Harris

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erm9360k4Vw

Under Occupation: Toronto G20 Operation

A riveting 2-hour documentary about the Toronto G-20 and the massive police operation that inundated the city for more than a week in June 2010.

http://www.underoccupation.com/g20/

The Empathic Civilisation
Bestselling author, political adviser and social and ethical prophet Jeremy Rifkin investigates the evolution of empathy and the profound ways that it has shaped our development and our society.

10 min. video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l7AWnfFRc7g

Do It Yourself Bike Lanes in Mexico

A group of citizens in Guadalajara, Mexico, was fed up with the inaction of the local authorities. Their city has a big traffic problem (350 new cars are added to the city's roads every day, average traffic speed has fallen to 18 km/h, and the quality of our air reaches alarming levels during several days of winter), and those who want to bike have to deal with dangerous roads that don't have bike lanes. So these citizens, led by local teachers and students, decided to fix the problem themselves by painting their own 5 km. bike lane. Check out the 4 min. video below!

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2011/01/guerilla-diy-bike-lane-guadalajara-citizens-video.php

Fragrance Stinks

Green Calgary is seeking a creative and convincing design for its Fragrance Stinks! campaign that will inspire people to move toward unscented or naturally scented (essential oils) products. Due 11 February … Green Calgary Coordinator of Residential Environmental Services Ashley Lubik explains what causes some people to react to fragrances.

Energy rationing would give 'common purpose' in cutting carbon emissions

The idea of a personal energy allowance, dismissed by government officials, could help ensure fair and equal access to energy and spur collective action to meet emission reduction targets says a new report

http://www.theecologist.org/News/news_round_up/735967/energy_rationing_would_give_common_purpose_in_cutting_carbon_emissions.

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in