Greenspiration News: Optimism of the action

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sat Feb 12 10:20:19 EST 2011

Greenspiration News

Nobody made a greater mistake than he who did nothing because he could only do a little. – Edmund Burke

The optimism of the action is better than the pessimism of the thought. – Harold Zindler

Noam Chomsky on Egyptian protests: 'This is the most remarkable regional uprising that I can remember'

12 minute audio interview
http://rabble.ca/rabbletv/program-guide/2011/02/best-net/noam-chomsky-egyptian-protests-most-remarkable-regional-upri
A siren song is this Cairo freedom fire - By Raffi

http://rabble.ca/news/2011/02/siren-song-cairo-freedom-fire
U.S. corporations choose despots over democracy - By Amy Goodman, Democracy Now

http://rabble.ca/columnists/2011/02/us-corporations-choose-despots-over-democracy

WikiLeaks cables: Saudi Arabia cannot pump enough oil to keep a lid on prices

US diplomat convinced by Saudi expert that reserves of world's biggest oil exporter have been overstated by nearly 40%
http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2011/feb/08/saudi-oil-reserves-overstated-wikileaks

Myths about the new efficient light bulbs

By Guy Dauncey
http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Myths+about+efficient+light+bulbs/4168693/story.html

Why Tax Cuts Make Us Weak

by Murray Dobbin
http://murraydobbin.ca/2011/01/27/why-tax-cuts-make-us-weak/

Alberta's New Political Volatility

By Andrew Nikiforuk
Ed Stelmach got tossed from a once stable ship now rocked by petro dollar storms.

http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2011/01/27/AlbertaNewVolatility/

Calgary removing fluoride from water supply

Calgary city council has voted 10-3 in favour of removing fluoride from the city's drinking water.
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/calgary-removing-fluoride-water-supply-20110208-133844-127.html

David Suzuki's The Nature of Things presents:

Tipping Point: The Age of the Oil Sands

Saturday February 12, 7 pm ET on CBC News Network

Tipping Point: The Age of the Oil Sands is a two-hour visual tour de force, taking viewers inside the David and Goliath struggle playing out within one of the most compelling environmental issues of our time. The age of innocence for the oil sands is over.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/natureofthings/2011/tippingpoint/

JOIN the CoffeeParty.ca movement for better government and more responsible big businesses!

For details, go to:  http://www.CoffeeParty.ca

Menopause Hormones Still Pushed, Still Dangerous

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/martha-rosenberg/hormones-still-pushed-sti_b_801540.html

Earlier Hormone Therapy Elevates Breast Cancer Risk, Study Says
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/29/health/research/29hormone.html?_r=2&ref=health

National Sweater Day, Thur. Feb. 17

National Sweater Day invites all Canadians to lower the thermostat three degrees Celsius and don the funkiest sweater they can find to keep warm on February 17. Presented by World Wildlife Fund and Loblaws

http://wwf.ca/newsroom/?8921/Stay-Warm-and-Keep-the-Planet-Cool-on-February-17-WWFs-National-Sweater-Day

NO GMO in Canada

On Feb. 8, 2011, the Canadian Parliament will debate Bill C-474: "Bill C-474 would require that "an analysis of potential harm to export markets be conducted before the sale of any new genetically engineered seed is permitted."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DH9NwvrVh3U (3'55)

More info:  http://www.cban.ca/Take-Action/Support-Bill-C-474

Conservatives' crime-and-punishment plans will cost us all

http://rabble.ca/news/2011/02/conservatives-crime-and-punishment-plans-will-cost-us-all

Costs of inaction: the price of ice

Arctic sea ice extent averaged over Januray 2011 its lowest recorded levels since satellite records began in 1979. It was 19,300 square miles below the record low of 5.25 million square miles, set in 2006, and 490,000 square miles below the 1979 to 2000 average.
Climate change, the crisis many hoped we could ignore for decades, is here. Ice and snow that covered the vast frozen northland for 800,000 years is disappearing rapidly. As countless square miles of the Arctic turn from reflective white to heat-absorbing dark, the result is an acceleration of global warming. And this is not just a problem for polar bears. The Arctic acts as the air conditioner for the entire planet. And it is starting to break down.

http://www.grist.org/article/2011-02-08-costs-of-inaction-the-price-of-ice

Alberta Still Wears Pollution Blinders: Report

Yet another study finds oil sands environmental monitoring isn't remotely up to the job.

By Andrew Nikiforuk
http://thetyee.ca/Opinion/2011/02/01/PollutionBlinders/

Depression link to processed food

Eating a diet high in processed food increases the risk of depression, research suggests. "Physical and mental health are closely related, so we should not be too surprised by these results, but we hope there will be further research which may help us to understand more fully the relationship between diet and mental health."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8334353.stm

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in