T.O. Greenspiration Events: Taking Root

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 20 17:45:16 EST 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events
---------------------------------------

Honouring Death

Join me in honouring the life and death of Tooker Gomberg on the 7th anniversary of his passing.
Bring your own stories of death, dying and grief.
We will light candles, share sorrows, laugh, cry, and eat!

Mon. Feb. 21, 7 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
Free, all welcome.
For more info: Angela, greenspi at web.ca  www.greenspiration.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Culture Forum One - Left film and video

Monday, February 21st, 7:30 pm.
The Regal Beagle (back room) , 335 Bloor St W (near St George)

A discussion with Frank Saptel, President & founder, Canadian Labour International Film Festival (CLIFF)
Performances by: Wally Brooker, saxophone; Jerry Lee Miller, stand-up comedy; Mike Constable, animation films plus short films by invited guests
Presented by The Culture Committee (Cultcom) of the Greater Toronto Workers Assembly: http://www.workersassembly.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Taking Root - screening

Tuesday, February 22, 2 – 4 p.m.
Toronto Reference Library, Beeton Auditorium, 789 Yonge Street

An award-winning film about Kenya's Green Belt Movement and its founder, Wangari Maathai, the first environmentalist and the first African woman to win the Nobel Peace Prize. (81 min)
www.torontopubliclibrary.ca/detail.jsp?Entt=RDM63592&R=63592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Human Rights Watch International Film Festival
Feb. 22 - Mar. 4

TIFF and Human Rights Watch are pleased to present the annual Human Rights Watch International Film Festival for the first time in TIFF Bell Lightbox. This year the festival presents 10 feature films that inspire hope, confront oppression, seek truth and demonstrate humanity's will to defend their own rights and those of others. Find out more at http://tiff.net/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Future of the Food Sector

Tuesday, February 22, 9:30-11:30AM

Deer Park Library, room 204, 40 St. Clair Ave. East
Refreshments (fair trade and local fare) will be provided.

Registration & details: http://pushfoodforward.com/futurefood
The food and agriculture sector from now on will look a lot different than it has for the last fifty years - and the young leaders in this forum are guiding the way.

Our speakers include those developing programs and policies that are changing the way we see the food system while doing work that will transform how we understand health, food access, community and sustainability. They will share a wealth of knowledge and ideas in leading-edge programs and policy frameworks being tried & tested in Toronto and Ontario universities, municipalities, non-profits and businesses.

Topics covered will include urban agriculture, community food centres, local sustainable food procurement, food literacy and municipal policy. The forum will be a beneficial opportunity for anyone working or interested in food & agriculture, whether in private enterprise, government or the citizen sector.

Panelists:
- Tracy Philippi, Chair, Toronto Youth Food Policy Council
- Jason Qu, Campus agriculture and food security initiatives, University of Toronto
- Elizabeth Fraser, Replication Coordinator, The Stop Community Food Centre
- Jodi Callan, Senior Environmental Planner, City of Toronto
- Ian Hepburn-Aley, Urban Agriculture & Community Food Facilitator, The Stop Community Food Centre

Cost: $35.

Four spots are available for $5 for currently un/underemployed - please email us, first come first serve basis.

Registration: Register for this event by contributing $35 on our Get Involved page or by becoming a monthly Food Forward Supporter. Option to pay by cheque. Any questions, please write: darcy at pushfoodforward.com

Organized by Food Forward

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Relationships to Feminism - Reading Circle

Wednesday Feb 23th, 6:30 - 8 pm
at CWSE offices, University of Toronto, OISE building, 252 Bloor W,  2nd Floor Rm 2-225 (Bloor St. and St. George)
Free

Relationships to Feminism is a Reading circle that will feature a large variety of books, short stories, articles and poetry related to six Feminist themes. It will seek to promote women’s solidarity and augment awareness and familiarity with the abundance of powerful feminist literature out there. The circle will facilitate understanding of each reading and will provide a forum for discussion with feminists and activists in a safe and comfortable setting.

CWSE (Centre for Women's Studies in Education) presents this literature series to graduate and undergraduate students in Toronto and to all community members interested in Feminist writings.

Please register by sending an e-mail to cwse.oise at gmail.com

Note: the readings is available at the OSIE libarary (On reserve)
Tea and cookies will be offered!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=123204771084287

February READING: Lorde, Audre. (1984). Sister Outsider: essays and Speeches: “Sexism: An American Disease in Blackface”

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Integrative Medicine for the Treatment of Migraines and Headaches

Wed. February 23, 7 p.m.

Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, U of T, 252 Bloor Street West, Room 2214

Presented by Paul Jaconello, MD

Lecture Admission $10.00
ISF and CSOM Member Admission $5.00

For more info: (416) 733-2117 or email centre at orthomed.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Blue Legacy

Thursday, February 24, 7 - 8 p.m.
ROM, 100 Queen's Park
Cost: Public $29.00, Member $26.00, Student $20.00
Join Alexandra Cousteau, granddaughter of the legendary Jacques Cousteau, as she speaks about her family’s mission to raise understanding and awareness of the importance of water in all its forms.
More information.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Breathtaking: A Personal Investigation into the present-day use of asbestos.

Toronto Premiere of Documentary

Thur. Feb 24th at 7 p.m.

at the ROM Theatre, 100 Queen¹s Park, south entrance.

Pay what you can at the door (proceeds donated).

To reserve a seat in advance or for more information about the screening contact breathtakingfilm at gmail.com

Planet in Focus’ own Kathleen Mullen takes a turn behind the camera as she embarks on a cinematic journey to uncover the truth behind her father’s exposure to asbestos. This special evening will feature the Director, special guest speakers, an introduction by Pat Martin, MP for Winnipeg Centre, family members and other special guests.

Co-presented by Occupational Health Clinics for Ontario Workers (OHCP) and Planet in Focus (PIF).

http://www.kathleenmullen.com/breathtaking/index.html
http://www.planetinfocus.org/pif-365/special-events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Belgrade to Baghdad

Premier film screening, 6 years in the making - "It's the New World Order that Matters"

Friday 25 February, 8:00 pm.
Isabel Bader Theatre, 140 Charles St. West (Museum subway station)
$15
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FtM4hfOSE8&feature=player_embedded

Canadian Journalist Scott Taylor  will be present at the Premiere and for a Q & A session following the screening. "If you think the gov't is lying, that's one thing; when you know , because you've seen for yourself that they're lying, it's different motivation, so everything they say you have to question."

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Action for Affordable Housing Community Forum

Friday, February 25th, 10am - 12pm
O.I.S.E. rm 5280, 252 Bloor St. West (at St. George subway).
Free, TTC tokens available.

The speakers will discuss:
What are the challenges that we face as we try to end homelessness and address the severe lack of good quality housing that people can afford?
What are the opportunities to move a Right to housing‚ agenda forward?
What can we all do to end the housing crisis?

Join Doug King from PIVOT Legal Society in Vancouver, B.C., Sheryl Lindsay from Sistering, Regi David from the Rooming House Tenants Group˜Scarborough and Cathy Crowe from the Toronto Disaster Relief Committee to discuss what we can all do to end the housing crisis!

To RSVP, for more information, or if your group or organization would like to endorse the event please contact Yutaka Dirks: dirksy at lao.on.ca

Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195412740485404&pending

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Winter of Our Discontent: Let the Right Not Prevail
Law Union 2011 Annual Conference

Sat. Feb. 26
Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, University of Toronto

Cost of Admission:
*        Students and Community Members: PWYC (suggested donation $20 for the day, $5 per session)
*        Professionals: $60 for the day, $20 per session
*        Lawyers/Paralegals using the conference for CPD: $100 for the day, $30 per session

A Charter Right to Housing
Truth in Sentencing: What Harper's Law & Order Agenda means for defense lawyers
The Tories' Anti Immigrant Agenda
The Bedford decision and the decriminalization of prostitution
During Lunch 1:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m.: Moving Forward after the G20: Mass Movement Defence Debrief
Cruel and Unusual Treatment: Prisons for Women in Canada
Coalition for Change - Live-in Caregivers and Temporary Migrant Worker Movements
The Case for HIV/AIDS Prosecutorial Guidelines
G20 and Civilian Oversight of Policing

* Childcare is provided. Please let us know if you require ASL or other accommodations

More information: www.lawunion.ca <http://www.lawunion.ca/>  law.union.of.ontario at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bowlathon 2011

Sat. 26 February, 1:00 - 9:00 pm
Bowlerama West, 5429 Dundas West

Set up a team! Become a sponsor or donor!

Now in its 18th year, the Bowlathon has become one of the Toronto Rape Crisis Centre / Multicultural Women Against Rape’s success stories. Since 1993 when we raised over $3,000, this event has grown into a key source of support. In order to meet this year's goal, we will need your help!

The Bowlathon is a fun day for bowlers of all ages and abilities. The amount of money you raise doesn’t ...depend on your bowling experience – just your ability to collect pledges from your family, friends, co-workers and neighbours.

Teams of 6-8 people can bowl at 1pm, 4pm or 7pm. You can choose from cosmic 5 or 10 pin bowling.

Adult bowlers are asked to raise a minimum of $175 in pledges individually (or $900 per team).

There are various ways to become involved, which include becoming a team captain, making a pledge for a player, sponsoring a lane or making a prize donation.

Support your community and come out for a day of bowling fun!

For more information:

Website: www.trccmwar.ca
Email: bowlathon at trccmwar.ca
Ph: 416-597-1171 x 233

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Now Anything is Possible: Tunisia, Egypt and the Arab World?

Sat. 26 February · 7:00 - 9:00 pm (doors 6:45)
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St.
PWYC / Donation
Sorry, not wheelchair accessible
Tasty refreshments (non-alcoholic) and Zatoun oliveoil+za'atar dipping.

What began as a single act of desperation in Tunisia has led to a series of significant uprisings of millions of people in Egypt and beyond.
In a region that has long suffered the impacts of colonial exploitation, oppressive puppet tyrants, and chronic misrepresentation, we are now witnessing a historic moment in which people are rising up to reclaim their lives, present and future.

The world is watching, but what are we seeing?
Join us for a timely and much needed discussion and analysis as these historical events unfold.

Speakers:

Sonia Djelidi is a human rights activist who Studied Economics and Politics at University of Montreal. She lived for 3 years in West Africa, working with civil society. She is Member of GRILA (Group for Research and Initiative for the Libration of Africa). Currently she is the coordinator of the Collectif de Solidarité au Canada avec les luttes sociales en Tunisie and works as a communication coordinator for an international organization

Mostafa Henaway is an Egyptian Canadian who has been active in Palestine solidarity with Tadamon Montreal! which works in solidarity with social movements in the Arab world: Egypt, Lebanon, Tunisa, and Iraq. He is also active in the international Boycott Divestment and Sanctions Campaign to end Israeli Apartheid, participating in organizing of the 2010 BDS Conference in Montreal. He is a community organizer at the Immigrant Worker Center in Montreal, and is also an independent writer and radio producer.

Mohammed Mohsen is a Toronto based visual artist, with experience and involvement in several art organizations. Mohammed continues to contribute to the cultural and political life in Toronto, with history that includes involvement in the Arab Students' Collective, Jawqet Al-Sheikh Imam (the Sheikh Imam Ensemble), Toronto Arab Film Festival, OCAD Student Union, and several art organizations.

Moderated by Ghadeer Malek. Ghadeer is a Palestinian activist and feminist. She writes and performs spoken word and poetry and is part of an arts collective called AqsaZine. She is active on women's rights issues and is a strong advocate of the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions campaign to end Israeli Apartheid, Occupation and Colonization of Palestine.

Organized by Huna, (“here” in Arabic) - a diverse, tight-knit group of Arabs Engaged in Politics, Society, and Culture.
Sponsored by Beit Zatoun, OPIRG U of T and OPIRG York.
Email: info at beitzatoun.org
Phone: 647-726-9500

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bolivia and the Right to Water: The Bolivian People Have Taken Their ‘Water Wars’ to the World Stage
Sunday, February 27, 2 - 4 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West, Room 5150
Beginning as a local people's struggle in Cochabamba for access to and control over their water, Bolivians soon found themselves taking on powerful private water corporations and global financial institutions and standing at the forefront of a global campaign for social and environmental justice. More than a decade since they began their successful campaign, we discuss the lessons learned.

The efforts of small farmers, indigenous peoples, activists, trade unions, faith members, NGOs and allied social movements culminated in July 2010 when the U.N. declared Water as a Human Right. We will discuss what this historic right entails to local communities across the globe and how it affects the water wars that continue to be fought.

Despite this recent U.N. right, water continues to be threatened through other routes of privatization. Bottled water production, territory rights and dam construction are only a few of the many ways that corporations engage in profitable water commoditization in Latin America. We will discuss these current business tactics, the source of their strategies and brainstorm on how we can prevent Canadian investment in private water utilities.

Tara Seucharan of Council of Canadians-Toronto, Allison Elgie and Ryan Dancey of Toronto Bolivia Solidarity will give a short introduction after which we will break up into small discussion groups.

Readings:

Bolivian "Water Wars" (http://www.foodandwaterwatch.org/global/latin-america/bolivia/)

The U.N. Right to Water and Sanitation (http://canadians.org/water/documents/factsheet/UN-FAQ-0710.pdf)

Water Privatization in Latin America (http://alainet.org/active/9697&lang=es)

The “Extracting Profits: Patterns of Oppression and Resistance in Latin America and the Caribbean” teach-in series is organized by Toronto Bolivia Solidarity (an action group of OPIRG–Toronto) and co-sponsered by the Council of Canadians Toronto Chapter.

http://t.grupoapoyo.org/
http://councilofcanadianstoronto.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Transit Campaign

If you haven't already done so, please send an email to City Councillors and Mayor Ford to let them know you support the Transit City light rail plan. Click here to email City Councillors and Mayor Ford.

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in