Greenspiration News: Foodies can save the green movement

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sat Feb 26 13:22:10 EST 2011

Greenspiration News

You Should Have Stayed at Home - G20 Summit

The Summit from the street: exclusive eyewitness video exposes a G20 you've never seen before.

by CBC TV, the Fifth Estate

Watch it online: http://www.cbc.ca/fifth/2010-2011/youshouldhavestayedathome/

Electromagnetic Radiation – Learn the health effects

Electromagnetic radiation is all around us. Wireless phones, Internet, cell phones and their accompanying transmission towers are cropping up like mushrooms on a damp day. On this page of Prevent Cancer Now, you will find a half dozen excellent articles on this topic.

http://preventcancernow.ca/electromagnetic-radiation-–-learn-the-health-effects
Economic Hitmen
A brilliant 2 minute animated interview of John Perkins, author of 'HoodWinked' and 'Confessions Of An Economic Hitman'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7Fzm1hEiDQ

World One Poor Harvest Away From Chaos

by Lester R. Brown

Today there are three sources of growing demand for food: population growth; rising affluence and the associated jump in meat, milk, and egg consumption; and the use of grain to produce fuel for cars.

http://permaculture.org.au/2011/02/15/world-one-poor-harvest-away-from-chaos/

Food prices forecast to rise by 5 per cent in Canada

4 min. interview with Wayne Roberts

http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/TopStories/20110203/food-inflation-rate-set-to-rise-110203/

Foodies Can Eclipse (and Save) the Green Movement

These are dark days for the environmental movement. Even as traditional environmentalism struggles, another movement is rising in its place, aligning consumers, producers, the media and even politicians. It's the food movement, and if it continues to grow it may be able to create just the sort of political and social transformation that environmentalists have failed to achieve in
recent years.

http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,2049255,00.html

Chevron Ordered to pay $9 Billion for Contamination in Equador
to clean up their mess, provide potable water, and fund critical health care.
http://chevrontoxico.com/take-action/send-chevron-a-message.html?utm_source=Amazon+Watch+Newsletter+and+Updates&utm_campaign=1ae834f2f6-cvx_verdict_20110216&utm_medium=email

Pfizer Said to Pay $330 Million to Settle Prempro (HRT) Lawsuits Claiming Breast Cancer

Pfizer Inc. agreed to pay about $330 million to resolve claims that its Prempro menopause drug caused breast cancer, in the first large-scale settlements in eight years of litigation.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-08-27/pfizer-settles-arkansas-prempro-case-before-retrial-over-punitive-damages.html

Hormone Advice From Pharma Was More Deception

http://blogs.alternet.org/speakeasy/2011/02/03/hormone-advice-from-pharma-was-more-deception/

Exposing the Republicans' 3-Part Strategy to Tear the Middle Class Apart -- Let's Stop Them in Wisconsin
GOP forces are trying to deflect attention from the growing wealth transfer to the richest 1 percent while the jobs and wages of everyone else languish.  http://www.alternet.org/economy/149981/exposing_the_republicans'_3-part_strategy_to_tear_the_middle_class_apart_--_let's_stop_them_in_wisconsin/
Hilarious Koch Prank May Reveal Serious Ethics Violations By Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker
http://www.alternet.org/teaparty/150030/hilarious_koch_prank_may_reveal_serious_ethics_violations_by_wisconsin_governor_scott_walker/

Bush trip to Switzerland called off amid threats of protests, legal action
A planned trip to Switzerland this week by George W. Bush was canceled after human rights activists called for demonstrations and threatened legal action over allegations that the former president sanctioned the torture of terrorism suspects.

The New York-based Center for Constitutional Rights and several European human rights groups said they were planning to file a complaint against Bush and wanted Swiss prosecutors to open a criminal case against him once he arrived in the country.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/02/05/AR2011020503752.html

End Special Tax Breaks for Oil, Coal and Gas Companies

An open letter calling for an end to special tax breaks for the oil and gas sector in Canada has reached over 100 diverse organizations across the country! We still have a few weeks left until the budget - can you help us double this number? Check out the Letter and other ways to get involved here! Check out our tax break counter widget (on the website it moves....) and then post it on your website or blog...

Check out our Press Release: Canadians want an end to tax breaks for oil and gas companies

Please email the Prime Minister and your Member of Parliament now from this link to call on the federal government to use the 2011 budget as an opportunity to end special tax breaks for oil, coal and gas companies.

http://action.davidsuzuki.org/subsidy

It's time to end Canada's billion-dollar handout to big oil and coal
http://rabble.ca/news/2011/02/its-time-end-canada%E2%80%99s-billion-dollar-handout-big-oil-and-coal

Today, before the next election, our challenge is to begin regenerating our democracy.

(Re)Generation: Voices for Canada

March 6th through 10th

We are told to wait for politicians to tell us who and what we should vote for. We can create a new kind of politics by getting together to tell our politicians what we want to vote for.

This March, before a possible spring election, Leadnow will bring Canadians together to share ideas and goals for our country and our future. Together, we will draft the Declaration for Change, a commitment to create a better future for all Canadians.

Leadnow will then challenge our politicians to work together for progress on the Declaration's goals. And, we will call on people to commit to take action and vote for the politicians who will rise to the challenge. Together, we can transform Canadian politics by backing our call for cooperation on the major challenges facing this country with our commitment to vote.

Quick Facts about (Re)Generation:

When? - March 6th through 10th
Where? - All across the country in local get-togethers organized by people like you.
How? - We will provide host packages to make it easy to host a get-together in your community. The small-group discussions will be centered around key questions that we will provide about your hopes and goals for Canada's future. This will make it easy for us to share and consolidate your answers so that we can shape them into the Declaration for Change.
What can you do? - You can sign up with us to host a get-together in your office, your home, or any place that you feel comfortable. The get-together can be public, open to anyone, or private, just for you and your friends or colleagues.

- You can sign-up a get-together on our on-line form in a few moments.
- You can contact us at regeneration at leadnow.ca to learn more.
- You can show your support and get periodic updates about local get-togethers near you by attending the facebook event and registering online.

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in