No Nukes News: nuclear question marks

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Sat Mar 26 17:00:32 EDT 2011

No Nukes News

Mar. 26, 2011

We have finally arrived at the watershed moment when the fairy tale of
nuclear safety is being seriously challenged. - Pan Han-shen, Taiwan's Green
Party

For the best updates on the Japan nuclear crisis see
http://www.beyondnuclear.org/

Officials suspect dangerous breach at Fukushima nuclear plant

A suspected breach in the reactor at the stricken Fukushima nuclear plant
could mean more serious radioactive contamination

http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/960481--officials-suspect-dangerou
s-breach-at-fukushima-nuclear-plant?bn=1

Japanese nuclear officials fear crack in reactor core

Possible damage at Fukushima nuclear power plant could cause leak of high
levels of radiation

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2011/mar/25/japanese-nuclear-fear-crack-reac
tor-core

Nuclear in the Spotlight - Wed. Mar. 30, Toronto

Wed. March 30th, 7:30 p.m.

Annex Live, 296 Brunswick (at Bloor), Toronto

With performers Mike Ford, Meghan Morrison, Richard Underhill, Michael Louis
Johnson, the Raging Grannies and more.

Kevin Kamps from Beyond Nuclear will speak to the current situation in
Japan.

Help OCAA turn Ontario away from nuclear and toward safer options.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=192323914141758

http://nuclearspotlight.eventbrite.com/

Nuclear question marks

Public hearings about nuclear reactors are supposed to answer questions. But
the first week of hearings into proposed new reactors at the Darlington
nuclear site has left some answers hanging.

http://www.thestar.com/business/companies/article/961876--nuclear-question-m
arks

Anti-nuclear campaigner attacks expansion of Darlington

Caldicott marveled that Canada is considering new reactors in the face of
the Fukushima catastrophe. "We are on the precipice of absolute devastation
in Japan," she said.

http://www.thestar.com/business/article/960365--anti-nuclear-campaigner-atta
cks-expansion-of-darlington

Ottawa needs to be weaned from its nuclear obsession

New nuclear reactors - around the entire world - are 100 per cent
subsidized. - Amory Lovins

Enough is enough. For environmental reasons, for economic reasons and for
political reasons (including nuclear proliferation), the government should
end its obsession with nuclear power: Until the industry can buy its own
reactors, get rid of its own wastes and pay for its own insurance.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/commentary/neil-reynolds/o
ttawa-needs-to-be-weaned-from-its-nuclear-obsession/article1951790/

Preventing the Next Nuclear Meltdown

The Lessons of the Fukushima Disaster for U.S. Nuclear Policy

http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/67667/victor-gilinsky/preventing-the-
next-nuclear-meltdown

Note:  The author warns against the dangers of refurbishing old reactors
whose standards were inadequate to begin with, because they were based on
false assumptions and invalid design calculations. Also, while this article
refers to US nuclear policy, Canadians and others should take note.

We tried the nuclear power experiment -- and it didn't work

Nuclear energy is simply not insurable in the free market. Period.

Nuclear power is simply not worth risk. We tried the nuclear experiment --
it did not work. It is time we cut our losses and started putting all of our
financial resources into a portfolio of renewable energy technologies.

http://www.thewhig.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?e=3041655

Spewing from Meltdowns: Dangerous Plumes of Disinformation

There is no level of radiation exposure, no matter how small, that is
harmless. Every federal agency that regulates radioactive pollution agrees.

Anishinabe Women Oppose Nuclear Shipment Through Great Lakes

5 minute video.

A group of Anishinabe women are determined to stop a proposed shipment of
steam generators contaminated with nuclear waste travelling through the
Great Lakes and St. Lawrence Seaway.

http://indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com/2011/03/anishinabe-women-oppose-nu
clear-shipment-through-great-lakes/

Germany's solar panels produce more power than Japan's entire Fukushima
complex

http://www.grist.org/article/2011-03-22-germanys-solar-panels-produce-more-p
ower-than-japans-entire-fuku#comments#comments

OPG Failure to comply with Undertaking to the Commissioner of Competition

The Ontario Clean Air Alliance has filed an
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/active/0/competition.PDF> official
complaint with the federal Commissioner of Competition, Melanie Aitken, with
respect to Ontario Power Generation's newspaper advertisements which falsely
claimed that it had completed its last three major nuclear projects "on
budget".   We have asked the Commissioner to penalize OPG for false
advertising and to require it to print prominent retractions in every daily
newspaper in Ontario.

Please contact  <mailto:melanie.aitken at bc-cb.gc.ca>
melanie.aitken at bc-cb.gc.ca and ask her to investigate our complaint and
issue a decision as soon as possible.