Greenspiration News: Canadians for Coalition

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Thu Mar 31 12:07:05 EDT 2011

Greenspiration News

"Our only hope today lies in our ability to recapture the revolutionary spirit and go out into a sometimes hostile world declaring eternal hostility to poverty, racism, and militarism." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., 1967

Canadians for Coalition

In the past two weeks, our team has put together a social media and video campaign to ask for a NDP-Liberal coalition in case of a Harper majority. Coalitions are legal, effective, and common internationally. Join us online at http://canadiansforcoalition.com/

Ten reasons to oppose the Harper candidate in your riding

 http://rabble.ca/news/2011/01/ten-reasons-oppose-harper-candidate-your-riding

Sign the Petition Calling for a Moratorium on New Nuclear Projects

If you think we should spend the next six months examining the effectiveness of these options instead of on hearings for new nuclear reactors when Ontario Power Generation can’t even tell us what technology will actually be deployed or who will supply it, then sign our petition in support of a moratorium on new nuclear projects until the province has fully explored the potential to meet our electricity needs using a mix of lower cost and safer options.

This is a turning point in ending our costly reliance on nuclear power – tell the Ontario Government it is time to rethink its priorities.
Sign the petition now and we’ll make sure your voice is heard in the Ontario Legislature! Thank you!

Naomi Klein: Why Climate Change Science Is So Threatening to Right-Wing Ideologues

Unless we come up with some better solutions Klein says, "this crisis will be exploited to militarize our societies, to create fortress continents."

http://www.alternet.org/environment/150180/naomi_klein%3A_why_climate_change_science_is_so_threatening_to_right-wing_ideologues

Canadian Military Spending Up

A CCPA study released today finds Canadian military spending is higher now than at any time since the end of the Second World War. Canada is the 13th largest military spender in the world and the 6th largest within the 26-member NATO alliance.

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/publications/reports/canadian-military-spending-2010-11

Internal report says climate policies on chopping block create jobs

 http://www.montrealgazette.com/technology/Internal+report+says+climate+policies+chopping+block+create+jobs/4426387/story.html

America Is NOT Broke - speech by Michael Moore

Watch Michael Moore's inspirational speech supporting workers and true democracy in Madison. 30 min.

http://www.michaelmoore.com/words/mike-friends-blog/america-is-not-broke

Ten reasons the F-35 stealth fighter is wrong for Canada

Read the article: http://rabble.ca/news/2011/03/ten-reasons-f-35-stealth-fighter-wrong-canada
And then sign the petition: http://www.ceasefire.ca/?p=7492

Ontario’s transportation policies can protect against rising gas prices
Finance Minister Dwight Duncan was quoted in the Globe article as saying: "As prices at the pump go up, consumers fill up the gas tank less often. This is a grave threat to the economy."

Contrary to Minister Duncan's fear, pumping less gas can actually be a good thing. The most effective and direct way to increase Ontario's resilience to oil prices is by reducing our dependence on oil.

Moreover, smart actions to reduce oil dependence can create tens of thousands more jobs in a clean transportation future.

http://www.pembina.org/blog/507

Talk Doesn't Pay, So Psychiatry Turns to Drug Therapy

Many psychiatrists, in large part because of how much insurance will pay, no longer provide talk therapy.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/06/health/policy/06doctors.html?pagewanted=1&_r=1&emc=eta1

Alternative Federal Budget 2011

Rethink, Rebuild, Renew: A Post-Recession Recovery Plan
By the Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

http://www.policyalternatives.ca/afb2011

Daniel Craig in a drag for the 100th annual International Women's Day

2 min. video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwNnbM-aX4A

Force of Nature: The David Suzuki Movie

Airing on CBC TV on Sunday April 3 at 10 pm.

Force of Nature: The David Suzuki Movie interweaves his lecture with scenes from his life and lifetime – the major social, scientific, cultural and political events of the past 70 years.

http://www.nfb.ca/playlist/force-nature-david-suzuki-movie/?ec=en20110309

Marketing of Madness

Every year, 230 million prescriptions for antidepressants are filled, making them one of the most prescribed drugs in the United States. The psychiatric industry itself is a $330 billion industry—not bad for an enterprise that offers little in the way of cures.

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2011/03/07/reversing-depression-without-antidepressants.aspx

Lousy Labels

Marketplace takes a closer look at some of the green labelling on personal care products. We discover that many of those natural and organic labels are often misleading or exaggerating their claims.
22 min. video

http://www.cbc.ca/marketplace/2011/lousylabels/

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in