No Nukes News: Energy Autonomy

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu May 12 12:12:47 EDT 2011

No Nukes News

May 12, 2011

We must undertake a new cost-benefit analysis of nuclear energy, factoring
in the costs of disaster preparedness and prevention as well as cleanup when
things go wrong. -  <http://www.truthout.org/visit-chernobyl/1303738006> Ban
Ki-moon, Secretary-General of the UN

The End of Nuclear

"The industry was arguably on life support before Fukushima. When the
history of the nuclear industry is written, Fukushima is likely to begin its
final chapter," said Mycle Schneider, lead author of the new report, The
World Nuclear Industry Status Report 2010-2011: Nuclear Power in a
Post-Fukushima World

 <http://www.worldwatch.org/end-nuclear>
http://www.worldwatch.org/end-nuclear

Renewable energy can power the world, says landmark IPCC study

UN's climate change science body says renewables supply, particularly solar
power, can meet global demand

<http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/may/09/ipcc-renewable-energy-pow
er-world>
http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/2011/may/09/ipcc-renewable-energy-powe
r-world

 <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-13337864>

The nuclear cost shell game

The nuclear energy industry only exists thanks to what insurance experts
call the "mother of all subsidies". In Canada, this liability cap is an
astonishingly low 75 million

dollars. If there is an accident, governments - i.e. the public - are on the
hook for all costs exceeding those caps.

When the full life cycles are compared, the carbon emissions of nuclear on a
per-kilowatt-of-power-generated basis exceeds that of wind and is about the
same as solar. The energy solutions needed to combat climate change have to
be able to be deployed quickly and at a low cost. Nuclear energy is just the
opposite.

 <http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=55527>
http://ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=55527

Thousands rally in Japan against nuclear power

2 minute video
<http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=eocM3-2TNXA>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_profilepage&v=eocM3-2TNXA

Article   <http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/05/07-2>
http://www.commondreams.org/headline/2011/05/07-2

Japan scraps plan for 14 new nuclear plants

Japan PM on Fukushima: "Taking this as a lesson, we will lead the world in
clean energy such as solar and biomass"

http://climateprogress.org/2011/05/10/japan-scraps-plan-for-14-new-nuclear-p
lants/?utm_source=feedburner
<http://climateprogress.org/2011/05/10/japan-scraps-plan-for-14-new-nuclear-
plants/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climatep
rogress%2FlCrX+%28Climate+Progress%29>
&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+climateprogress%2FlCrX+%28Climate+Pro
gress%29

The Future Children of Fukushima

Cancer, Deformities and Chronic Diseases

 <http://www.counterpunch.org/giambrone05032011.html>
http://www.counterpunch.org/giambrone05032011.html

EPA Halts Heightened Monitoring of Fukushima Fallout

No New Milk, Rain or Drinking Water Sampling for another Three Months

 <http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=1480>
http://www.peer.org/news/news_id.php?row_id=1480

The Darlington Declaration: I Choose Green Energy

Please lend your voice to those who support a green energy future.

 <http://stopdarlington.org/declaration/>
http://stopdarlington.org/declaration/

Brilliant Satire

Why Free Inhalers? Because COAL CARES.

Coal CaresT is a brand-new initiative from Peabody Energy, the world's
largest private-sector coal company, to reach out to American youngsters
with asthma and to help them keep their heads high in the face of those who
would treat them with less than full dignity. For kids who have no choice
but to use an inhaler, Coal CaresT lets them inhale with pride.

 <http://www.coalcares.org/index.html> http://www.coalcares.org/index.html

More satire.

President Obama says we do not expect harmful levels of radiation to reach
the U.S

41 second video

 <http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=61EFAB11121C6A46D7F5C9A77EB7F2E7>
http://www.naturalnews.tv/v.asp?v=61EFAB11121C6A46D7F5C9A77EB7F2E7

Tim Hudak Vows to Eliminate Feed-in-Tariff

Ontario's Progressive Conservative leader Tim Hudak stated that if elected
he will scrap North America's best renewable energy policy and send us
backpeddling to the dark ages of dirty, dangerous electricity. This would be
a huge set-back in the fight against climate change and air pollution,
undermine our efforts to improve our energy security, throw thousands of
people out of work and erase billions of dollars of new investment in our
economy
<http://www.canadianmanufacturing.com/energy/news/investor-risks-and-opportu
nities-in-clean-tech-30779> . The Green Energy Act is our path to a cleaner,
more prosperous province. Please write Tiim Hudak and tell him what you
think. timhudak at niagara.net and cc Steve at Ontario-SEA.org

Globe and Mail:
<http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/tim-hudak-vows-to-scrap-lucrat
ive-green-energy-deals-in-ontario/article2016695/> "Tim Hudak Vows to Scrap
Lucrative Green Energy Deals in Ontario"
CBC:
<http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/story/2011/05/10/samsung-torries.html>
"Ontario Tories Vow to Scrap Samsung Deal"

Windsor Star's response: Hudak
<http://www.windsorstar.com/business/Hudak+proposal/4768774/story.html#ixzz1
M> 's proposal: a Threat to Essex County

Don't miss this inspiring film! -a

Energy Autonomy - the 4th Revolution

Sat. May 14, 7 p.m.
Bloor Street United Church, 300 Bloor St. West (east of Spadina), Toronto
Donations accepted

Carl Fetchner's visionary documentary on renewable energy and its
relationship to political power. Followed by a discussion with experts in
energy and environmental implications to public health with Dorothy Goldin
Rosenberg and Jose Etcheverry.

Sponsored by the Social Justice Cttee of Bloor St. United Church. For more
info: 416 966 2851

Nuclear Threats to the Great Lakes and Transition to Clean Safe Energy

International Roundtable

Saturday, May 14, 9 am - 5 pm

Henry Ford Community College, Society of Mechanical Engineers (SME) Bldg.,
5101 Evergreen Rd. Dearborn, Michigan

Scheduled speakers:
Dr. Gordon Edwards - President of the Canadian Coalition for Nuclear
Responsibility - to address the radioactive contamination of the Earth and
its Waters - accidental or deliberate?
Brennain Lloyd - Community organizer with Northwatch, who has worked for
more than two decades on nuclear waste issues in Canada, including those at
the Bruce nuclear complex on Lake Huron speaking on the risks of a proposed
deep underground radioactive dump by Lake Huron.
Michael Keegan - Co Chair of Don't Waste Michigan & Chair of Coalition for a
Nuclear Free Great Lakes on why we should oppose a proposed new reactor at
Monroe and the 20-year re-license for Davis-Besse near Toledo.
Kevin Kamps - Radioactive Waste Watchdog from Beyond Nuclear to discuss
reactor waste policy in the Great Lakes and nationally.
Greg Laskowsky - Henry Ford Community College, Lead Instructor, Energy
Technology - Energy & Technology Department will discuss the renewable
energy options available.
Kathleen Law - Former Michigan legislator who introduced the first German
style renewable energy bill in North America and since adopted by Ontario
Victor McManemy - Great Lakes songwriter, troubadour, historian, musician
and advocate for Indigenous Peoples

Sponsored by Sierra Club - S.E. Michigan Group, Sierra Club of Canada, Ohio
Sierra Club Nuclear Issues Committee, and Citizens for Alternatives to
Chemical Contamination

For info, Ed McArdle 313-388-6645 /  <mailto:ecoguy2 at netzero.net>
ecoguy2 at netzero.net - or Kay Cumbow 810-346-4513 at
<mailto:kcumbow at greatlakes.net> kcumbow at greatlakes.net

Centre for Sustainable Energy Showcase

Monday, May 16, 1 p.m. - 6 p.m.

Mechanical Building, Rm 102, 5 King's College Rd., University of Toronto

How can Ontario achieve energy sustainability?

Panel: 2:35 p.m. - 4:30 p.m.

Jack Gibbons, Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Mathew Hoppe, Ontario First Nations Technical Services Corporation

Prof. Ibrahim Dincer, University of Ontario Institute of Technology (UOIT)

 <http://www.mie.utoronto.ca/news/events.php?year=2011&month=5#179>
http://www.mie.utoronto.ca/news/events.php?year=2011&month=5#179

Contact:  <mailto:cse at mie.utoronto.ca> cse at mie.utoronto.ca

Sign the  <http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/petition2.php> Petition Calling
for a Moratorium on New Nuclear Projects in ON

 <http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/petition2.php>
http://www.ontariosgreenfuture.ca/petition2.php

And order FREE anti-nuclear and anti-coal leaflets

They contain postcards to politicians. Courtesy of the Ontario Clean Air
Alliance.

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets>
http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets

Thank you for helping get the word out!