Greenspiration News: Time for a Women's Party

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun May 29 00:00:34 EDT 2011

Greenspiration News

I also think that those who try to take the shortcuts -- the pill to lose weight, the pill to be happy, the pill to be smart, to sleep, to be awake, are just running up their tab. And there may not be a pill when you're presented with the bill. Which you will. - Paulina Porizkova

If we think we are fragile and isolated personalities adrift among unfriendly and predatory human apes, we are likely to feel and act badly. On the other hand, if we see ourselves as sacred beings enmeshed in a grand tapestry of life and mutual interdependence, we feel uplifted and at peace. Which view is ‘correct?’ I don’t believe anyone can say. But I am utterly convinced that embracing the latter view is healthier than clinging to the former. - Will Meecham
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How 'bout a Women's Political Party??
We need a women's party to protest the industrial use of hormones to maximize profits for corporations. Artificial hormones interfere with human reproduction and causes cancer. We need a women's party to raise hell over genetically modified foods not being labelled. We need a women's party with the clout to force our governments to give us reliable data on how much nuclear radiation from Japan is here, now, in B.C., and to plan for the shutdown of all nuclear plants in Canada. We need a women's party that will shame the governments of Canada mercilessly over the cost of college education, child poverty, and deforestation, subsides to oil companies, the privatization of health care, prison systems, and transportations systems. Yes, the time has come.

So I am putting out a call. Any woman interested in coming together and contemplating such a group for discussion and action can email me:betty.krawczyk at gmail.com

http://rabble.ca/news/2011/05/case-women%E2%80%99s-party

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Complete Streets: It's more than just about bike lanes - NYC's Great Transformation

Over the last four years, New York City has seen a transportation renaissance on its streets, striking a better balance by providing more space for walking, biking, and transit. New York is a great example of how a city can achieve clear and measurable results despite serious challenges and obstacles.

Watch the superb video here: http://www.8-80cities.org/videos24.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

End the War on Drugs!

Sign the petition: http://www.avaaz.org/en/end_the_war_on_drugs/?cl=1080488278&v=9209

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

To Bee or Not to Bee

Queen of the Sun documents the honey bee crisis and colony collapse disorder… Film Vanishing Of The Bees follows commercial
beekeepers as they strive to keep their bees healthy … Sign petition to ban bee-killer pesticides in the US and EU … See Pollination Canada ideas for urban gardens … Creating a bee-friendly garden is easy … Facebook hosts several Save the Bees pages.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sluts Don't Cause Rape, Rapists Do: Why "Slutwalks" Are Sweeping the World

The idea behind the Slutwalks is simple, yet so often fails to get through: rape is rape, no matter what the victim wears, says or does.

Article and video:  http://www.alternet.org/story/150906/sluts_don%27t_cause_rape%2C_rapists_do%3A_why_%22slutwalks%22_are_sweeping_the_world?page=1

We're sluts, not feminists. Wherein my relationship with Slutwalk gets rocky

http://rabble.ca/news/2011/05/we’re-sluts-not-feminists-wherein-my-relationship-slutwalk-gets-rocky
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Gas pain? Time for some serious nozzle-gazing

As commuters in Ontario and across the continent suffer from rising prices at the pump, the Pembina Institute's Cherise Burda argues it's time for our governments to do some serious "nozzle-gazing" to address the bigger issues behind the latest gas pains: urban sprawl, gridlock and growing fuel consumption. Her latest blog outlines five key steps Ontario could take now to cut demand for fuel and bring commuters long-term relief from high gas prices.

http://www.pembina.org/blog/538

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

New Study Evaluates Pay-As-You-Drive Vehicle Insurance
Identifies Significant Potential Benefits to Motorists, the Economy and the Environment
Insurance is one of the largest motor vehicle expenses, costing about $1,200 annually for a typical automobile. Conventional insurance is a fixed cost with respect to vehicle use; moderate reductions in vehicle travel provide no savings to motorists. An alternative price structure, called Pay-As-You-Drive (PAYD), changes insurance into a variable cost, so motorists save money when they reduce their mileage. As a result, they tend to drive less.

http://www.pics.uvic.ca/assets/pdf/publications/PAYD_Insurance.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Election 2011: The Conservative honeymoon, if there is one, will be short

Harper won a majority with just 24 per cent of the electorate -- hardly a shift to the right.
http://rabble.ca/news/2011/05/election-2011-conservative-honeymoon-if-there-one-will-be-short

Election 2011 Post Mortem - analysis and links

http://ecosanity.org/blogsanity/cdn-election-2011-post-mortem
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Heavy Metal Hazard: The Health Risks of Hidden Heavy Metals in Face Makeup
Environmental Defence tested the makeup bags of six Canadian women. 49 face makeup items were chosen, including five foundations, four concealers, four powders, five blushes or bronzers, seven mascaras, two eye liners, 14 eye shadows, and eight lipsticks or glosses. We released the results in a report titled, "Heavy Metal Hazard:  The Health Risks of Hidden Heavy Metals in Face Makeup" .
Ask Health Canada to better regulate impurities in cosmetics by signing Environmental Defence's petition

http://petition.environmentaldefence.ca/Heavy_Metal/
And download the full report HeavyMetalHazard_May16.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the Pave - BC Blockade

The Gateway Project is the most environmentally threatening highway mega-project in British Columbia's history. The South Fraser Protection camp is hoping to stop this highway from being built along the river delta of the Fraser river and they've set up a blockade.

http://stopthepave.org/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Driving for a car free future

Stop Signs explores the deeper political implications of car culture and the ways automobiles reshape our living environments

http://rabble.ca/books/reviews/2011/05/stop-signs-cars-and-capitalism
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Strauss-Kahn Screws Africa

Now that I've dispensed with the obvious and obnoxious teaser headline, let's drop the towel and expose Dominique Strauss-Kahn's history of arrogant abuse. The truth is, the grandee of the IMF has molested Africans for years.

http://www.gregpalast.com/strauss-kahn-screws-africa/#more-4601

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Now Underway, An Outrageous International Land Grab

http://www.bollier.org/now-underway-outrageous-international-land-grab

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spain's Enormous, Inspiring Protests Are Rooted in Restoring Democracy and Decent Life in an Era of Turbocapitalism

What we are seeing in Spain goes way beyond a student revolt. It's a revolt that lays bare a profound ethical crisis convulsing a whole society.

http://www.alternet.org/story/151065/spain%27s_enormous%2C_inspiring_protests_are_rooted_in_restoring_democracy_and_decent_life_in_an_era_of_turbocapitalism?akid=7014.290405.dLBlqs&rd=1&t=18

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in