T.O. Greenspiration Events: save Toronto's enviro programs!

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jun 12 18:05:48 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

---------------------------------------

Bike Month is here!
Bike breakfasts, bike group rides, bike maintenance workshops, bike art, bike movie nights, and more fun on 2 wheels.
http://wx.toronto.ca/festevents.nsf/Cycling?openform
Bells on Bloor needs your help!

On Sat. June 18, noon, meet at High Park, rain or shine, and join thousands of cyclists on a mass ride east along Bloor to Queens Park, ringing out for bike lanes on Bloor! If you can be a marshal, please contact jninto (at) gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Save Toronto's Environmental Programs --  take the Survey by June 17

As we mentioned in our last newsletter, City Hall has launched a major Service Review on how city services are delivered, who pays for them, and where we can find efficiencies.

This review will be used to dramatically reduce the services the city offers, including environmental services that protect human and environmental health.

The review is asking us to fill in a survey and to rank services provided by the City. Note that you can indicate that all City Services are necessary to the City - you do not actually have to chose between programs.

Take the City's survey before Friday June 17th! Take the survey here.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Independent Civilian Review Into Matters Relating to the G20 Summit - Public Hearing #3

The Independent Civilian Review Into Matters Relating to the G20 Summit will hold hearings for individual members of the public,
organizations, and other stakeholders to provide their views and opinions on the following question:

WHAT ROLE SHOULD CIVILIAN OVERSIGHT PLAY WITH RESPECT TO THE POLICING OF MAJOR EVENTS?

Monday, June 13, 5:30 p.m. to 9:00 p.m.
Scarborough Civic Centre, 150 Borough Drive

To find out more about the hearings, or to apply to speak at the hearing, go to http://www.g20review.ca/docs/g20-hearing_submissionform.pdf to access the Submission Form.

Please note that the hearings will be open to the public.
http://www.g20review.ca/hearings.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Ecovillage Project – Planning Meeting

Monday June 13, 7 – 10 p.m.
300 Campbell Ave. Studio 306 (3rd flr.), use doors near south end of building (easiest access)
All are welcome!
Facebook event listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Popular Conspiracy Theories: Oswald killed Kennedy, Arabs did 9/11, the Earth is 6,000 years old, we need the banking ponzi game

Lecture with Sydney White, Investigative Journalist, Studies in Propaganda

Monday, June 13 from 6-8pm FREE
U of T, Claude T. Bissell Building, Room 205, 140 St. George Street
(note looks like its part of the Robarts Library, but it is an entirely
different building behind)

More info. call 416-787-0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Dirt: A Webinar about Community Gardening with The Stop Community Food Centre

Tuesday, June 14, noon
This webinar will focus on The Stop's Community Garden Programs. This isn't a Community Gardening 101, though. Instead, this webinar is aimed at people and organizations that have a good sense of gardening, and want to go deeper into creating inspiring community gardening programs. Hotly debated topics will include things like allotment gardens vs communally run ones, balancing production and the use of gardens as therapeutic tools, how to create inclusive and accessible gardens, and much, much more!

Registration is limited to 100, and last time the spots filled up quickly! Click here to register, and if possible, consider buddying up with a friend or colleague and watch the broadcast at the same computer to allow more people to participate.

https://thestopevents.webex.com/mw0306ld/mywebex/default.do?siteurl=thestopevents

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Net Tuesday: Sharing Your Story

Tuesday, June 14, 5:30 – 7:30 p.m.
Centre for Social Innovation (Spadina), 215 Spadina Avenue
$5 donation

You have a good handle on all the amazing work your organization does - but is this being shared and celebrated? Knowing how to tell your organization’s story is the key to turning strangers into supporters - volunteers, donors, advocates and funders.

In this workshop you will:
- hear from a fellow nonprofit about their experience with telling their story
- learn at a high level how your story can feed into your content strategy
- learn to tell your own story

This is a facilitator-led, hands-on workshop so you will walk away with a draft of your story, centered around a specific campaign or your organization in general. We will use Marshall Ganz’s Public Narrative, which was the backbone of Obama’s ‘08 on-the ground organizing and massive election success. Come prepared to reflect on your personal story and the work of your organization. Though we won’t be building your content strategy or going into the details of digital storytelling, you will start to build a strong storytelling foundation for these next steps.
This event will be facilitated by Cassie Barker.
This event is part of TechSoup Canada's Technology Planning for Nonprofits series.
Please RSVP on Meetup: http://www.meetup.com/toronto-net-tuesday/events/17105007/
Event listing: http://socialinnovation.ca/event/toronto-net-tuesday-sharing-your-story

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Wild Women Road Trip - Toronto Talk and Slideshow!

Tuesday, June 14 · 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Toronto Women's Bookstore, 73 Harbord Street

Learn what makes women only adventures so special, what Wild Women Expeditions has on offer this summer and the scoop on our hottest new trips this year. Get all your questions answered, meet other curious women as well as women who have already adventured with us.

http://www.wildwomenexp.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Save Our Schools! - Community Meeting

Tues. June  14,  7 PM
Winchester Public School, 15 Prospect St.

There are nine schools  which are up for review. Together they serve  the poorest neighbourhoods in downtown Toronto and each of the neighbourhoods they serve rely upon the school acting as a community hub for adult learners, pre-schoolers, after school programs and community organizing.

The eight schools under review are:
Church St. JPS, Jesse Ketchum Jr. and Sr. PS,  Lord Du!erin Jr. and Sr. PS, Market Lane Jr. and Sr. PS, Nelson Mandela Park Jr. and Sr. PS,
Regent Park/Duke of York JPS, Rose Avenue JPS, Sprucecourt JPS, Winchester Jr. and Sr. PS

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Full Moon Ceremony

Wed Jun 15, 6 pm – 8 pm
Native Canadian Centre of Toronto – 16 Spadina Rd

This Ceremony was performed by Anishinaabe Women/Grandmothers and is a womens' ceremony. This knowledge has been passed down through generations and acknowledges our role as women and the responsibility we have with the water. This ceremony is open to all women of nations and cultures. Please bring your skirt, water and tobacco.

For more information contact the Cultural Department 416-964-9087 X315 or email cindilee.ecker-flagg at ncct.on.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How Much Time? Urgent priorities for averting climate crisis

A Town Hall Meeting with a focus on opportunities in building the clean energy economy

Wednesday, June 15, 7-9 pm
In the Paris-London Room of the International Living Learning Centre, Ryerson University, 240 Jarvis St. (between Dundas & Gerrard)

Speakers:
Hon Glen R. Murray, MPP [Toronto Centre], Minister of Research and Innovation
Adriana Mugnatto-Hamu (Climate Change critic for the Green Party of Canada)
Moderator: David Macdonald (United Church of Canada Minister; former MP [Rosedale]; former chair of the standing committee on the environment (1990)
Co-sponsors: Citizens Climate Lobby, Science for Peace, Greenspiration, Toronto Climate Campaign, Transition Toronto, Green 13

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Exposure: Environmental Links to Breast Cancer

Wed. June 15, 6:30 pm
Gilda's Club, 110 Lombard Street

Concerned about the implications of our contaminated world on human health? Today one in three people will get cancer. One in four will die from it. In the 1950’s, women in industrialized countries were at a one in twenty risk of developing breast cancer over their lifetime. Today that risk has skyrocketed to one in eight. Cancer can have many causes. Seventy to eighty percent of women with breast cancer have none of the “official” risk factors: family history (5-10%), hormonal and reproductive factors and a high fat diet. However, breast cancer rates are increasing all over the world and may be but the tip of the iceberg of other environmentally-linked diseases. Come to a screening and discussion of Exposure: Environmental Links To Breast Cancer and learn what you can do to decrease your risk and that of your community.

http://dandelionnaturopathic.ca/exposure-environmental-links-to-breast-cancer/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Elliott Allen Institute for Theology & Ecology (EAITE), at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto presents:

A Universe Story – Canadian Premiere
We are part of an immense universe and this changes everything

www.journeyoftheuniverse.org

Wed. June 15, 7:30 p.m.
Muzzo Family Alumni Hall, Room 100, St. Michael’s College, 121 St. Joseph St.

This film project and companion book is a collaboration of evolutionary philosopher Brian Thomas Swimme and historian of religions Mary Evelyn Tucker. They weave a tapestry that draws together scientific discoveries in astronomy, geology, and biology with humanistic insights concerning the nature of the universe.

The film will be introduced by 2 highly acclaimed Thomas Berry scholars who have worked on its production and content, and will be followed by discussion.
·       Mary Evelyn Tucker, Yale University; author of: Worldly Wonder: Religions Enter Their Ecological Phase; Moral and Spiritual
Cultivation in Japanese Neo-Confucianism, and The Philosophy of Qi.
·       John Grim, Yale University; author of The Shaman: Patterns of Religious Healing Among the Ojibway Indians and editor of Indigenous Traditions and Ecology: the Interbeing of Cosmology and Community.

For more info: Dennis.ohara at utoronto.ca
Donations accepted.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Immigration: The Next Generation Book Launch and Panel

Wed. 15 June · 7:00 - 9:00 pm
Toronto Women's Bookstore, 73 Harbord Street

Please join us as we celebrate the launch of: About Canada: Immigration (Fernwood Books) ...By Nupur Gogia and Bonnie Slade

Panel discussion on Immigration with:
Avvy Go, The Colour of Poverty
Shabnum Budhwani, Skills For Change
Nupur Gogia
Bonnie Slade
Many Canadians believe that immigrants steal jobs away from qualified Canadians, abuse the healthcare system and refuse to participate in Canadian culture. In About Canada: Immigration, Gogia and Slade challenge these myths with a thorough investigation of the realities of immigrating to Canada. Examining historical immigration policies, the authors note that these policies were always fundamentally racist, favouring whites, unless hard labourers were needed. Although current policies are no longer explicitly racist, they do continue to favour certain kinds of applicants. Many recent immigrants to Canada are highly trained and educated professionals, and yet few of them, contrary to the myth, find work in their area of expertise. Despite the fact that these experts could contribute significantly to Canadian society, deeply ingrained racism, suspicion and fear keep immigrants out of these jobs. On the other hand, Canada also requires construction workers, nannies and agricultural workers — but few immigrants who do this work qualify for citizenship.
Free
For more information please call 416-922-8744

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Elliott Allen Institute for Theology & Ecology (EAITE), at St. Michael’s College, University of Toronto presents:

Speaking of Thomas Berry

Thursday, June 16, 3:00 to 4:30 p.m.

An academic event at which four experts of the work of Thomas Berry will be profiling their assessment and application of Berry’s
scholarship.
·       Chris Chapple, Loyola Marymount University; author of: Reconciling Yogas; editor of: Jainism and Ecology: Nonviolence in the
Web of Life (and several other books)
·       Anne Marie Dalton, St. Mary?s University, co-author of Ecotheology and the Practice of Hope, and author of A Theology for the
Earth: Contributions of Thomas Berry and Bernard Lonergan.
·       Heather Eaton, St. Paul University; author of Introducing Ecofeminist Theologies, and co-editor of Ecofeminism and
Globalization: Exploring Religion, Culture, Context.
·       Stephen Bede Scharper, University of Toronto, author of Redeeming the Time: A Political Theology of the Environment, and
co-editor of The Natural City: Re-Envisioning the Built Environment.

Students and faculty who are interested in emerging scholarship involving theology, ecology, world religions, justice, and/or feminism are being invited to this academic event.  This event will take place from 3:00 to 4:30 p.m. in room 101 at the Faculty of Theology, 95 St. Joseph Street.  It will be followed by wine and cheese.  If you can attend, please let Dr. O'Hara know so that he can make appropriate preparations with the caterers  <dennis.ohara at utoronto.ca>.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Power-With: Realising Feedback's Untapped Potential

Thur. Jun 16 -  5:30-8 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W, 7th floor Room 216

In this workshop, participants will learn a 3 step process for giving honest and empowering feedback.
$10-$30  ($10 if you pre-register till 24 hours before the event)
Info / Pre-Registration: Email community at interchange4peace.org

Hosted by: Building a Culture of Peace in the GTA - an education and training program that offers peace-building workshops to leaders and members of communities that want to foster a culture of peace. www.interchange4peace.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lotions, DIY Facial Care and Deodorants

Thur. June 16, 10am to 4pm
Anarres Natural Health, 792A Dovercourt Road, just north of Bloor
REGISTER and find out more: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1104

You'll learn how to make a natural, healthy basic white lotion from scratch ~ and you'll customize it with wholesome, skin healing ingredients like shea butter, coconut oil, cocoa butter, and oils such as avocado, almond, pumpkin seed, hemp, sesame, and tamanu.
We'll discuss the face, its skin and its special role in the body, covering hot topics such as "skin types", eyes, breakouts, acne, lips, PH balance and ageing. We'll make custom cleanser, toner and moisturizer explore traditional ingredients and how they "work", then you'll make and try out a custom face mask, a facial cleanser, plus a customized toner to take home.

* Learn the myths and mysterious workings of skin.
* Learn what cosmetic companies are trying to hide and what nature and tradition always knew.

DEODORANTS: Smell Good From Head To Toe (and closet)!

We'll discuss the germ and odour fighting properties of essential oils, explore deodorizing ingredients and carriers and how they "work", then you'll make a custom underarm deodorant, a body spray, plus a room deodorizer to take home.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

John Street Corridor Improvements - Public Meeting

Thursday, June 16, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m.
Room 309, Metro Hall, 55 John Street

The City of Toronto is holding a public meeting on the John Street re-design project.  The meeting provides an opportunity to learn more about the work completed to date, the study recommendations and the next steps in the proceses. This meeting will also give you the chance to review the evaluation of various alternative designs for John Street and provide feedback on them. All comments received by June 30 will be considered by the Project Team in finalizing the project's recommendations and Environmental Study Report.

John Street is an important connection for cyclists to cross Queen Street West, as it's the only signalized intersection in the area with a 90-degree crossing over the streetcar tracks. We encourage everyone to attend this meeting to ensure the City builds complete streets with safety accomodations for all road users, including cyclists!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Parkdale: NoOneIsIllegal-Toronto fights to Stop the Cuts

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=152705721464376
http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/node/612

Do you live/work in Parkdale? Come to this meeting!
Thur. June 16, 6:00-8:30pm
Masaryk-Cowan Community Centre, 220 Cowan Avenue (east of Queen & Lansdowne), Front Rec Room

Take the People's Poll: http://bit.ly/TorontoPeoplesPoll

No One Is Illegal - Toronto is organizing in Parkdale where nearly 50 services are city funded and face possible cuts. Our organizers are on the streets, carrying out the People's Poll, and we will be holding a community meeting on June 16th at 6pm. At this meeting, we'll develop a campaign to defend services in the neighborhood, and a strategy to organize the neighborhood to join the Stop the Cuts movement in the city. To help us along, please forward this invitation to people you know that live and work in Parkdale.

On May 9th, we wrote to you about Rob Ford's plan to cut nearly $800 million in city services at a special city council meeting on September 27-28, 2011. Since then, Harper has put forward a budget that will cut $11 billion in federal public services over three years, and we expect similar cuts at the provincial level (http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/stopthecuts). Cuts to public services, 'Austerity', will have the worst impact on people already shut out of these services: undocumented people, migrant workers, and poor and racialized people. In direct opposition, we reiterate our commitment to fight against cuts at the municipal, provincial and federal level, insisting that public services be extended to all people, and that massive handouts to corporations and the police stop.

In Toronto, Rob Ford and his supporters are trying to create a popular “mandate” for these regressive changes. They have set up "public consultations" that do not actually consult people, and asked people to fill out a manipulative, one-sided survey. At the same time, private consultants are being paid $3 million to plan these cuts.

Grassroots groups and community members across Toronto have come together to develop our own mandate. The Toronto Stop the Cuts Network has been established which is calling upon groups of people to organize in neighborhoods, carry out a people's poll and hold community meetings in the build up to a city wide meeting of Toronto residents in September where a people's vision for the city can be created.

Similar organizing is taking place in Jane-Finch, in Teesdale and Crescent Town and in the Downtown East. To find out about meetings in those areas, please email tostopthecuts at gmail.com. If there are no such organizations in your neighborhood, but you would like to start one, even if it is for 10 houses on your street, please email tostopthecuts at gmail.com to have organizers come work with you. For updates and news about cuts to public services, please visit www.facebook.com/stopthecuts (you do not need to log-in to facebook to access this page).

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Inner Suburbs at Stake: Investing in Scarborough’s Communities

Thur. 16 June · 6:00 - 9:00 pm
Scarborough Civic Centre, Council Chambers, 150 Borough Drive

Toronto is a divided city. Social polarization and spatial segregation are clearly visible in the landscape, and our inner suburbs are home to more and more concentrated and racialized poverty. Investment is a key part of the solution, and yet its future is in question. How can we enhance investment in Scarborough in an era of austerity planning? How do we unite across different issues and diverse communities? This forum provides an opportunity for community members to come together to learn from research about the big picture of urban change, and to take action for the future of Scarborough’s communities.

Snacks, refreshments and TTC tokens provided!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The GTA PIRGs present...

Kick It 'Til It Breaks

Thursday, June 16, 8pm
Blue Moon Pub, 725 Queen Street East

To mark the 11th anniversary of the Queen's Park riot against the conservative Harris government, join OPIRG-Toronto and OPIRG-York for beats and performances that'll rock your socks off. Show some love for city collaborations and the fight for a world where everyone gets bread, and everyone gets roses, too.  * dancing * politics * raffle prizes *

featuring:  LAL + Redslam + DJ Tanner + B#
Admission: $5-$20 sliding scale.  No one turned away for lack of funds.
All proceeds go to:  Ontario Coalition Against Poverty, The Algonquins of Barriere Lake, Jane-Finch Action Against Poverty

The Art of Negotiation

Friday June 17, 10 AM - 3 PM