Greenspiration News: Top Docs

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Wed Jul 6 10:01:48 EDT 2011

Greenspiration News

---------------------------------------

Across Europe, Irking Drivers Is Urban Policy

While American cities are synchronizing green lights to improve traffic flow and offering apps to help drivers find parking, many European cities are doing the opposite: creating environments openly hostile to cars. The methods vary, but the mission is clear — to make car use expensive and just plain miserable enough to tilt drivers toward more environmentally friendly modes of transportation.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/06/27/science/earth/27traffic.html?_r=2&pagewanted=1&nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Brilliant Video of WikiLeaks’ Julian Assange & Philosopher Slavoj Žižek With Amy Goodman

“From being inside the center of the storm, I have learned not just about the structure of government, not just about how power flows in many governments around the world that we’ve dealt with, but rather how history is shaped and distorted by the media,” Assange said. http://www.democracynow.org/blog/2011/7/5/watch_full_video_of_wikileaks_julian_assange_philosopher_slavoj_iek_with_amy_goodman
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Our home on Native land - The celebration of colonization in Canada July 1
Every Canada Day, I reflect on the continual theft of my land and resources, on broken treaties, on the genocide of my peoples and the refusal to recognize my sovereignty.

http://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/view/our-home-on-native-land

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Not Rex: Toronto G20 redux

6 min. video  http://rabble.ca/rabbletv/program-guide/2011/06/not-rex/not-rex-toronto-g20-redux

G20 Fact Sheet - By the Numbers

http://ccla.org/2011/06/21/g20-fact-sheet-by-the-numbers/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

To the Last Drop

Residents of one Canadian town are engaged in a David and Goliath-style battle over the dirtiest oil project ever known, the tar sands. 24 minute film.

http://english.aljazeera.net/programmes/witness/2011/06/20116227153978324.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spanish Revolution: Indignant and Organized

On May 15th, thousands of people answered a call to "take the streets" against neoliberal economic measures that were being implemented in Spain in the aftermath of the financial crisis. To everyone's surprise, including organizers and participants[i], 125,000 people "took the streets" filling popular city squares across Spain. In a matter of days, the "indignant" – as they came to be known - went from making a point to making a camp, and from running the camp to working towards a revolution.

Four weeks later, on June 19th, a second march gathered over 250,000 people, once again exceeding all expectations and, more importantly, doubling the attendance of the first action. An impressive figure, indeed. However, by that time, 15-M was no longer just the date of a protest, but also the name of a very organized movement with immediate demands as well as long-term political ambitions. The movement now has its own institutions, its own proposals and its own history. It even has its own newspaper, its own artwork and even a 4-sign language. This is a movement that frightens a select few because it creates hope for many.

http://www.zcommunications.org/indignant-and-organized-from-15-m-to-19-j-by-david-marty

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

U of T study finds road expansion increases traffic by increasing demand

Using evidence from U.S. cities, Professors Gilles Duranton and Matthew Turner of the Department of Economics find that expanding highways and roads increases traffic congestion by increasing demand. Interestingly, the study also found no evidence that public transit affects the number of kilometres travelled.

http://www.environment.utoronto.ca/News/RoadExpansionStudy.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Illusions of Psychiatry

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2011/jul/14/illusions-of-psychiatry/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Top Documentary Films

Hundreds of excellent docs, free
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadian Boat to Gaza Website

http://www.tahrir.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Omnibus Crime Bill an Injustice

This fall the Harper government will pass an omnibus crime bill that will imprison thousands more Canadians and cost billions of dollars. It will not do as advertised by the Conservatives and drive the crime rate down. It will simply incarcerate for longer the many citizens who fall afoul of the new laws and mandatory minimum sentences.

The perverse results of some of the new legislation are already being documented. While the Harper government sells its new laws by saying they will punish violent, repeat offenders, it is clear that many non-violent, first-time offenders will bear the brunt of the legislation.

http://www.behindthenumbers.ca/2011/06/29/omnibus-crime-bill-an-injustice/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Oil on Lubicon Land: A Photo Essay

Melina Laboucan-Massimo, a member of the Lubicon Cree First Nation and a Climate and Energy Campaigner with Greenpeace, describes the impact of oil and gas developments and the recent oil spill in the traditional territory of the Lubicon Cree in northern Alberta.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qz3nSscXamI&feature=channel_video_title

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Prominent scientists, environmentalists decry cuts to Environment Canada
The Harper government has targeted up to $1.6 billion in cuts to environmental initiatives, and cuts of up to 1,211 jobs and $222 million from Environment Canada alone

http://www.canadians.org/media/water/2011/04-Jul-11.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

$4.4 Trillion, 225,000 Dead: Forget the Spin, This Is What War Really Costs

US wars launched since the attacks of September 11, 2001 have left 225,000 dead and cost up to $4.4 trillion, according to a new study by university researchers.

http://www.alternet.org/story/151500/%244.4_trillion%2C_225%2C000_dead%3A_forget_the_spin%2C_this_is_what_war_really_costs?akid=7205.290405.AK0LZX&rd=1&t=28

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in