T.O. Greenspiration Events: United we eat, divided we starve

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jul 17 22:09:53 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

---------------------------------------
Toronto City Service Review
The City is reviewing all City services to decide which ones to cut, including important environmental programs, like recycling, tree planting and other environmental programs. The Toronto Environmental Alliance (TEA) is onto it! Read their critique here:

http://www.torontoenvironment.org/servicereview?utm_source=Council+Watch&utm_campaign=1b7122a495-CW_July_15_Core_Service_Update7_15_2011&utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Make Your Own Natural Hand Sanitizer Workshop

Monday, July 18 th 2011, 6:30-8:30pm
Anarres Natural Health, 792A Dovercourt Road M6H2X3
Info: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1069

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Building Resilience Workshop Series

Tuesday July 19th, beginning at 6pm
Meeting at the Carrot Green Roof (348 Danforth Ave, Carrot Common)

Our Building Resilience ongoing workshop series teaches us about wild plants, weeds, and flowers that we pass by everyday, their edible and medicinal uses, how to harvest them sustainably, how to prepare them for beneficial use, recipes, and more.  Participants are led by gardening and herbalist experts Zora Ignjatovic and Courtney Raponi through the neighbourhood on a walk to discover hidden gems.

Building Resilience Workshops help to expand our working knowledge of local wild plants and their beneficial properties.  Sharing this knowledge is important for sustainability, inter-generational dialogue, environmental appreciation, and for building community resilience.  These workshops are being held on a bi-weekly basis.

Please register by contacting Zora via email artdecos at rogers.com, or by phone at 416-463-9031.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Sustainable Living - The Home, The City and the Planet!

Tuesday, July 19, 7 - 9 pm
OISE Auditorium, 252 Bloor Street West (next to St. George subway station)
FREE

Joining us will be Mat Redsell (http://www.continuo.com/) who will walk us through his off-the-grid home, complete with renewable energy generation, heating, water and food production and the challenges he has faced in maintaining this lifestyle. Next, Reg Matson will take us on a journey through the Resilient City project and introduce various aspects of a future sustainable civilization within the city limits. Finally, Mike Nickerson, renowned speaker and author of ‘Life, Money and Illusion: Living on Earth as if we want to stay’ (http://www.SustainWellBeing.net) will discuss the responsibilities of a mature society, and some cultural mechanisms that can enable our transition to a responsible global civilization.

Brought to you by the Toronto chapter of ‘The Zeitgeist Movement’  (http://www.thezeitgeistmovement.com). We will be accepting donations as we are aiming to raise funds for the first music and art filled Zeitgeist Media Festival this fall. All ages are welcome, we look forward to seeing you there!

For more information please contact Ryan at ryan at zeitgeist-toronto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride for Jarvis, Ride for Toronto

Wednesday, July 20 · 6:30pm - 9:30pm
Meet at Allan Gardens off of Jarvis Street
This week was a huge disappointment for cycling in Toronto. While we move forward with protected bike lanes, the Ford administration sent a strong signal that cars matter more than people on bikes. Let's send a message back. Let's ride for Jarvis. Let's ride for Toronto.

This is a family friendly event where we plan to ride together on Jarvis Street and take lanes of traffic. Come one, come all!
http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=163260460413403

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Silence is Broken, But the Violence Continues: Now What?

Wednesday July 20th, 7 pm - 9:30 pm

Native Canadian Centre, 16 Spadina Road
PANEL: Lee Maracle, Darlene Ritchie, Harsha Walia, Native Youth Sexual Health Network, Audrey Huntley (MC)

Where to take our efforts to end the murders and disappearances of Indigenous women/two spirit/trans and a screening of the film "Survival, Strength, Sisterhood: Power of Women in the Downtown Eastside."

"Survival, Strength, Sisterhood: Power of Women in the Downtown Eastside" is a short film that documents the 20 year history of the annual women's memorial march for missing and murdered women in Vancouver, Coast Salish Territories. By focusing on the voices of women who live, love, and work in the Downtown Eastside this film debunks the sensationalism surrounding a neighbourhood deeply misunderstood, and celebrates the complex and diverse realities of women organizing for justice. (32 mins)

Hosted by:  No More Silence & Toronto Missing and Murdered Women's Committee at the NCCT

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Workshop: Free Google Tools to Improve Your Website (and everything you publish online)

Wed. July 20, 5:30 pm - 6:45 pm
Centre for Social Innovation Annex , 720 Bathurst , Room 4 (3rd floor)
Free to register at http://freegoogletoolsfornonprofits.eventbrite.com/

Google has a whole range of free tools to help you improve your website and all your online communications. In this 75 minute workshop we will take a brief look at three of the most useful offerings from Google for helping your organization improve your online results.  Register at http://freegoogletoolsfornonprofits.eventbrite.com/

Google Analytics -- Keyword analysis -- Google Grants

Workshop resources include checklists, places to learn more and quick things you can do to make the most of these tools. You can register for this event for free at: http://freegoogletoolsfornonprofits.eventbrite.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Pedaler's Wager
Clay & Paper Theatre proudly presents our first ever bicycle-based mobile play

Wednesday, July 20  - August 14 at 7:00pm
Wednesday through Sunday at 7:00 PM
With Friday through Sunday Matinees at 2:00 pm
Weekend Mobile/bicycle Matinees: Saturdays and Sundays at 2 PM from July 23 to Aug 14
Dufferin Grove Park

Act 1: Dufferin Grove Park -> Act 2: Fred Hamilton Park -> Act 3: Trinity Bellwoods Park

BYOB: Bring your own bike, you'll need it!

PWYC: We strive to be accessible to all and we need your support.
Volunteers Wanted: email outreach_claypaper at bell.ne​t

This original comedy features puppetry, live music, and our very own CYCLOPS: Cycling Oriented Puppet Squad. Each weekend audience members are invited to cycle from act to act alongside performers, literally following the troupe to the show's conclusion.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=228047693896651

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the Mega Quarry Open Mine Pit Now!

Thur. July 21, noon
Ministry of Environment, 77 Wellesley St West (at Bay)

To ask, The Minister of the Environment Hon. John Wilkinson and Honorable Dalton McGuinty to Stop the Mega Quarry Open
Mine Pit in Melancthon Township, and support the farmers of Dufferin County.

It is obvious to many that this quarry would create a wasteland and dust in a rural farmland setting. It can poison the drinking water
for our children and our children’s children and their children, so we must think of protecting their future and our elders say we
must think Seven Generations.

The hole that will be dug to extract the product for China and Boston etc… will be 20 stories deep and possibly 7500 acres wide,
one of the largest open pit mines in Canada. Will Ontario allow such a monster to rape and kill life?
For more info:
Danny Beaton Turtle Clan Mohawk  beatondanny at yahoo.ca  416 921 0014
Dr John Bacher Preservation for Agriculture Lands Society  pals at becon.org
Carl Cosack vice Chair NDACT North Dufferin Agricultural and Community Taskforce  cosack at zing-net.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Frolick presents:

A Midsummer Night's Dream

at the Carrot Green Roof, 384 Danforth (entrance next to Book City)
Thursday July 21-Saturday July 23 ~ 6:00pm
Thursday July 28-Saturday July 30 ~ 6:00pm
Sunday July 31 ~ 2:00pm Matinée Special, Pay What You Can

To purchase tickets or for more information, please contact Matthew Krist at matthew at feedyourcity.org.
http://frolick.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Ten Laws of Love and Power: Theory and Practice of Social Change

Thur. July 21, 5:30 pm – 7 pm
MaRS Discovery District , 101 College Street
$29.95
For More Information:  http://bit.ly/p3Hnne

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

CONSULT THIS, KPMG!!
Rally and Public Deputations on City Services

Thursday, July 21 @ 12 Noon
Bay Adelaide Centre, 333 Bay Street

What right do rich, paid private consultants have to decide what public services our communities in Toronto should or should not have?

KPMG is a private consulting firm that was hired by the City of Toronto and paid millions of dollars to do a completely subjective review of all of Toronto's public services. KPMG is currently releasing their 8 final reports detailing service by service what they think could be cut, changed or contracted out. These reports will be used to identify nearly $800 million dollars worth of cuts to services that Ford wants to push through at the end of September.

KPMG has taken their 'vision' of devastated Toronto public services to City Hall, and now we will take our vision of the kind of Toronto we want straight to them!

STOP THE FORD CUTS, INCREASE PUBLIC SERVICES FOR ALL!
Contact tostopthecuts at gmail.com for support and info.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=220151864688863

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Last Mountain
New documentary about mountain-top removal

July 22 – 28, 7 p.m.
Royal Theatre, 608 College St.

Toronto Premiere Fri. July 22 – guest speaker Jack Gibbons, OCAA
The mining and burning of coal is at the epicenter of America’s struggle to balance its energy needs with environmental concerns. Nowhere is that concern greater than in Coal River Valley, West Virginia, where a small but passionate group of ordinary citizens are trying to stop Big Coal corporations, like Massey Energy, from continuing the devastating practice of Mountain Top Removal.

http://www.theroyal.to/films/last-mountain/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eco Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson

Friday, July 22 opens at the TIFF Bell Lightbox and plays several times daily through July 28
TIFF Bell Lightbox, 350 King St. West (King and John)
http://www.tiff.net/filmsandschedules/tiffbelllightbox/2011/201106070055230

“Eco-Pirate doesn't just take us into the personal past of a Canadian folk hero; it explores the very birth of a global movement, spawned in the heart of hippie Vancouver.”—Katherine Monk, Vancouver Sun

A hit at this year’s Hot Docs, Eco-Pirate: The Story of Paul Watson is an intimate and revealing documentary about the legendary Canadian environmentalist. As one of the chief architects of Greenpeace, Watson has long been on the forefront of environmental activism, famously pushing the organization to adopt a more radical stance by physically involving himself in protests, whether perched atop a whale or confiscating the clubs of seal hunters. His controversial departure from Greenpeace led to his founding of the Sea Shepherd Society, which aggressively pursues ships hunting whales illegally. Blending revealing and intimate interviews with shocking frontline footage, director Trish Dolman has crafted a compelling portrait of modern activism.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

R3 Artists' Collective presents:

Poems to Save A City, Messages to Rob Ford

Fri. July 22, 9 pm
Blue Moon Pub, 725 Queen Street East

Featuring: La Bomba, Nomanzland, Sonny Bean, Sedina Fiati and more
Suggested Donation - $10 No one turned away for lack of funds

Generously supported by: OPIRG Toronto& Toronto Arts Council
Proceeds in support of 7 Directions & The African Reparations Fund
www.r3artists.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Raise the Rates Solidarity Feast - United We Eat, Divided We Starve!

Saturday, July 23, 12 p.m.
Allen Gardens (Carlton & Jarvis streets)

*Free Food    *Music    *Kids Games    *Planning our resistance
On April 1st the Special Diet Allowance was gutted and changed. A new program has been brought in that has
eliminated several conditions or changed the amounts you can receive. The new program will massively reduce access to this vital benefit, and in the Liberals' own assertion 'most will not be eligible'. In the City of Toronto alone, Rob Ford's administration is planning to 'save' $10 million in what should have been paid out in Special Diet benefits.

This cut to the Special Diet comes at a time when those who rely on food banks and drop-in's to survive is on the rise (food bank use is up 28% since the beginning of the economic crisis), and as we face even further cuts to social programs under all three levels of government in this age of global austerity. In our communities people are already hungry, living on the streets, and suffering. Further cuts will mean more evictions and a very serious crisis of hunger and illness like we haven't seen before.

This July, we refuse to suffer in silence as the Special Diet is removed. We are coming together in cities across Ontario for 'Solidarity Feasts' and large community meals - to bring people together at a time when the loss of income will hit the hardest, to support each other, and to build our resistance. The Special Diet was transformed from an almost unknown $6 million a year program to one proving $200 million in vital benefits because people fought for it.

Our resistance needs to be stronger than their cuts. We have no choice but to build strong social movements that can fight these cuts and take back some of the income that has been stolen from us.
Contact: Ontario Coalition Against Poverty
ocap at tao.ca /416-925-6939 / www.ocap.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Creating Theatre in Outdoor landscapes

Sat. July 23
Ward's Island

A day-long workshop that explores: site-specific, visual theatre techniques and approaches; how historical and local stories are developed with communities; the use of different landscapes to create and influence theatrical journeys; working with Aboriginal artists on native themes; audience response to the travelling theatre experience.

Shadowland Theatre artists will introduce participants to our theatrical bag of tricks – key approaches and practical techniques. We will look at parades, spectacle arts, large and small-scale puppetry, fire for illumination and impact, voice in the outdoors, and all-weather music. We will explore staging shows in a variety of landscapes such as parkland, woodland, shoreline, water, and built environments.

Participants will get hands-on experience building images for the annual Ward’s Island Fire Parade which takes place on Friday July 29. Take the 1100 AM ferry to Ward's Island. Return ferry will be at 6:15 PM
Workshop Fee: $60

Contact Anne for registration and information. 416 203 0946  shadow at shadowlandtheatre.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Palestinian Food Justice
Report back from 3 months in Nablus, Palestine/Israel

Sat. July 23, 6:30 p.m.
At Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham. (Bloor and Bathurst)

Interactive presentation and photo exhibit
Art and gardening in Nablus, Palestine, by Emma Heath-Engel, former volunteer with Project Hope, Nablus
Music by Tich Maredza, Test Thrie Logik, and others
Fresh tasty food!
Admission $7 – 10 at the door (No one will be turned away for lack of funds)

All proceeds go towards funding 2 Palestinian youth to attend the 4th annual gathering of the Growing Food and Justice for All Initiative this coming Sept. in Wisconsin.

For more info: Emma Heath-Engel <emmaheathengel at hotmail.com>

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in