T.O. Greenspiration Events: women and bikes

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Aug 14 17:40:26 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Blackout Anniversary Party

Sunday, August 14 · 8 pm - 11 pm
Queen Street West, from Bathurst to Spadina

Join Streets are for People!, the Fedora Upsidedown collective, the Urban Repair Squad and many more in celebrating the 8th anniversary of the great Blackout of 2003. Each year Torontonians have marked this great night when our city reclaimed it's moniker of "TORONTO THE GOOD" with street parties, bike rides, and a little reclamation of public space.

This year's parking-meter Party will be on Queen West, between Bathurst and Spadina. Pay for a parking spot, then do something creative with it, play music, share food, dance, play twister.... There will be music by Lemon Bucket Orkestra, Samba Elegua, Rambunctious and more. Bring an instrument and join in the fun.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=518083206#!/event.php?eid=222325521146760

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Black Out Anniversary Performance and Critical Mass

Sun. Aug. 14
Play 7 - 8 p.m.
Critical Mass 8:30 p.m.
Dufferin Grove Park (Dufferin south of Bloor)
We will be starting the evening with the last performance of "The Pedaler's Wager" by The Clay & Paper Theatre.
The Critical Mass will leave from Dufferin Grove at 8:30 PM

Bring your bike, bring a friend, bring your bike lights..........and don't miss the Surprise Happy Ending

Come with us on a journey through an epic tale of modernity, as told by a peddler (who pedals) and his troupe who risk their livelihoods to tell this story of societal transformation. When a small family is forced to leave their riverside home, cajoled by developer Baron Boots, his consort Lady Grabsome, their disastrously hungry son Otto and a smooth-talking PR Department, where will they go? Pushed into the new Future, how will the family survive?

http://www.facebook.com/ev​ent.php?eid=22804769389665​1
http://www.clayandpaperthe​atre.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
 Building Resilience Workshop
Tues Aug 16, 5-7 pm
The Big Carrot Roof, 348 Danforth, seminar room 212 (entrance next to Book City, second floor) (Chester subway stat.)
$25-$30 or ask for other arrangements ie. barter

Join Carrot Green Roof's Zora Ignjatovic and Courtney Raponi as they lead you through a wide range of wild local, neighbourhood plants while demonstrating how they can be useful in improving food security and one's healthy diet.  These bi-weekly sessions will teach us about identifying and using common "weeds" for our benefit, methods of preparation, medicinal uses, recipes, ethical wild harvesting practices, and much more.

Please register by contacting Zora at artdecos at rogers.com or 416-463-9031.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The Global Poverty Project invites you to join the movement

Tues. August 16 - 7 pm - 8:30 pm
ING DIRECT Downtown Toronto Café, 221 Yonge St, 2nd floor
Price:  Commitment to end extreme poverty

Raising The Village is bringing the Global Poverty Project to Canada. We aim to interact, inspire and challenge you that extreme global poverty can be stopped within our lifetimes. We invite you to attend this public presentation, learn, and join the movement. Then help us bring this presentation to others.

http://socialinnovation.ca/event/global-poverty-project-invites-you-join-movement

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What in Tarnation?

Wednesday, August 17, 7 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Cttee. Room 2 (Queen and Bay)

In many ways Canada is the newest Petro State on the block.  Oil is creating wealth, for some, and altering for all our politics, atmosphere, and environment.

Dr. Gordon Laxer has been at the very centre of the discussion of these issues for over three decades now.  He and his brother James met with the Trudeau cabinet in the 70's about energy and Canada's national interest. In the 80's he became a professor of political economy at the University of Alberta, and from there he founded the Parkland Institute, one of the most effective public advocacy research institutes in the country.

Dr. Laxer will deliver for us a paper he has written on the tarsands, and then engage in a wide ranging discussion on how we got to where we are and how we might get to where we'd rather be.

http://www.meetup.com/PostCarbonTorontoMeetup/events/27913781/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Playwrights in Conversation: Legacy and Narratives of Genocide as Told through Drama

Wed. Aug. 17, 7 p.m.
Miles Nadal JCC (3rd Floor), 750 Spadina Ave.
Free Event!

Renowned Toronto playwrights and authors, Kathy Kacer and Sam Chaiton will sit down with Dr. Belarie Zatzman to chat about the origin and evolution of storytelling, and the hopes and challenges in writing about the narratives and reverberations of genocide. This intimate discussion will give audiences a rare glimpse into how these artists engage in the creative process of exploring questions that challenge our understanding of humanity through the medium of drama.  Whether you are a theatre goer, educator, or emergent writer you won’t want to miss this fascinating event.

For more info: Jeannette Slater at facing.org or 416-901-3831.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Next HerStories Cafe Talk presents:
The History of women and bicycles - with Steve Brearton and Evalyn Parry
Thur. August 18th, 6pm
at Trinity Bellwoods Park. We will meet beside the Trinity Bellwoods Recreation Centre (155 Crawford). There is a lovely grove of trees behind Fresh.
This is a special outdoor event and is free for all to attend. Bring blankets, drinks and food. We will provide some refreshments as well.

Songwriter, poet and ironic social commentator Evalyn Parry is gifted with a sharp pen, a quirky musical sensibility and a wicked sense of humour.

Inspired in part by the incredible true tale of Annie Londonderry - the first woman to ride around the world on a bicycle in 1894 – Parry spins a web of
stories which travel from 19th century women’s emancipation to 21st century consumer culture, peeling back layers of history to ultimately reveal a
profoundly contemporary and personal heart to her theme of liberation.  She will be performing some excerpts from her musical SPIN.

Woman and Cycling in Toronto –Fighting for inclusion since 1869
Cycling advocate and historian Steve Brearton will discuss women and cycling in Toronto from the early days of the bicycle when females fought cultural
norms just to ride a bicycle to the present day where City planning and policy decision have had the effect of limiting women’s participation. Among other
topics, listeners will hear of the city’s first clandestine women riders, how the bicycle offered Victorian females greater freedom and independence and a
visible means of challenging restrictive social standards and how one woman determined to offer her children a safe place to ride almost single-handedly
created the Martin Goodman Trail.
Steve is a Toronto writer and cyclist who has long been involved in helping build a bike culture in the city. He is Spacing magazine’s cycling columnist
and in 2004, he wrote and curated an exhibition entitled From Scorchers to Alley Cat Scrambles; a History of the Bicycle in Toronto at the City of
Toronto’s Market Gallery

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Book Launch: Women in Israel by Nahla Abdo
Race, Gender and Citizenship in Israel

Thursday, August 18 @ 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm
at Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (s. of Bloor)

Women in Israel provides a fresh, gendered analysis of citizenship in Israel. Working from a framework of Israel as a settler-colonial regime, this important, insightful book presents historical and contemporary comparative approaches to the lives and experiences of Ashkenazi, Mizrahi and Palestinian Arab women citizens. Nahla Abdo shows that no solution to the problems of the region can be found without changing existing racial and gender boundaries to citizenship.To learn more.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Canning Workshop
Fri. Aug. 19, 6-9 p.m.

Lisa Shamai’s Kitchen (388 Carlaw Ave., Unit W 12; look for the pink awning and follow the pink arrows up the stairs).

Cost: $30
On the menu: tomato salsa. Please bring an apron, something to tie your hair back with, and a bag to take your jar of goodies home in.

Please RSVP with Roberta by noon on Wednesday Aug. 17 at rstimac at srchc.comor 416-461-1925 x 252.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fundraiser for "Be Veg" TTC Subway campaign

Sunday, August 21 · 1:00pm – 5:00pm
Panacea: Vegan Shop, 588 Bloor Street West
Created By:	 “Be Veg” Toronto Subway Ad Campaign

Please join us for a sweet vegan bake sale to support the “Be Veg” Toronto Subway Ad Campaign. 100% proceeds will be matched dollar for dollar!

We will have tons of yummy goodies like fudge, ‘cheese’cake, cookies, cupcakes and lots more, made by our talented volunteer bakers. Plus:

Gluten Free Cinnamon Buns and Pizza Pockets from Bunner’s Bake Shop!  www.bunners.ca

Danish Pastries and Biscotti from the Vegan Danish Bakery!  www.vegandanishbakery.com

‘Butter’ Tarts from APieCalypse Now! Vegan Bakery!  www.apiecalypsenow.com

Peanut Buddha Cups from Buckwheat’s Good Eats!  http://buckwheats.tumblr.c​om/

Gluten Free Myloreo Cookie Sandwiches from LPK’s Culinary Groove!  www.lpksculinarygroove.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

TheToronto300

YouTube Channel. Now featuring over 45 video-deputations from City Executive Mtg July 28-29.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheToronto300

Learn about the issues that will define our city's future, from the residents and community leaders who stood-up for Toronto at City Hall!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Save Toronto Farmers' Markets

Mayor Ford and some City councillors want to increase user fees across Toronto for many important services and programs. Sign below to help stop fee increases for Farmers' Markets. Any increase in the cost to Toronto Farmers' Markets may put farmers in a position where they can no longer participate. Please send a message to Mayor Ford and your councillor telling them to keep fees to Farmers' Markets low.

Sign the petition: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/torontofarmersmarkets/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Save TCC

City Council is considering major service cuts to our transit system.
Find out more here: http://us1.campaign-archive1.com/?u=239fcde060248dde5946f406e&id=fb14597f97&e=46cdd76f40
And get involved with the the Toronto Transit Riders that are organizing to fight the cuts.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Morris Winchevsky School presents:

Secular Jewish Children’s Sunday School Begins Downtown Programming in the Annex

Sundays, 918 Bathurst Street, starting Sept. 18

Sunday School for preschoolers to Bar/Bat Mitzvah, family holiday celebrations and adult education.

Registrations for the 2011-2012 academic year are currently being accepted.
For more information, call 416-789-5502, email info at winchevskycentre.com, or visit our website at www.tsjcs.com

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in