T.O. Greenspiration Events: EcoVillage

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Aug 29 00:44:08 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Herbal Oils and Ointments Workshop and Plant Identification

Monday, August 29 from 6-8 pm

Eglinton Park Community Garden, 200 Eglinton Ave W.

$40 sliding scale (pre-registration necessary)

Join Registered Clinical Herbalist Danette Steele and Toronto Green Community to learn to identify and use medicinal plants! This 2-hour workshop will teach you the basics of identifying a variety of medicinal plants found in gardens and parks in Toronto. Participants will learn how to use plants in herbal oils and ointments, and will prepare an herbal remedy to take home with them.

Please note: this popular hands-on workshop will be limiting registrations and therefore requires pre-registration and payment.

Contact garden at torontogreen.ca or 416 781 7663 to sign up or for more information.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Ecovillage Project meeting

Monday, August 29, 7 - 9 p.m.
120 Perth Ave at Bloor St. (near Dundas West Subway), Apt 602, Buzz 174

All are welcome!
Facebook event

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Cannery Workshop

To celebrate the flavours of summer and learn to capture some of the most luscious - We plan to can delicious local peaches from our farmers!

Tues. Aug. 30, 6 - 9 p.m. (red. at 5:45 pm.)

Parkdale Neighbourhood Church, at 201 Cowan Avenue (steps south of Queen Street, between Dufferin and Lansdowne)
$45 for West End Food Co-op members or $50 for non-members (which includes the cost of a lifetime membership). Payment can be made in person at the workshop.
James Partanen, an expert canner with many years of experience, will be leading you through a delicious recipe and an in-depth discussion about canning and preserving. This will be a great way to learn new skills or brush up old ones in preparation for a full season of delicious preserving! You will learn about the theory and practice of preserving, gain hands-on experience using a hot water bath canner, and leave with some jars of delicious preserves.

Please register online by visiting our website at westendfood.coop

For more info: katie at westendfood.coop

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bending the Rails

a documentary film about the diesel trains planned for the T.O. airport route
created by Clean Train Coalition member and Junction Triangle resident Jeff Winch.

Tuesday, August 30, 7 p.m. (running time 45 mins)
Revue Cinema (400 Roncesvalles)

Q&A after screening.  MP Andrew Cash, MPP Cheri DiNovo, Ward 18 Councillor Ana Bailão and filmmaker Jeff Winch will be in attendance.
Admission free, but a donation of $5 or as more (as much as you can!) would be gratefully accepted to help us in the fight for electric trains.

The Junction Triangle in Toronto is surrounded by railway lines. Very soon those rails will bring excessive toxic diesel pollution to the neighbourhood, courtesy of the Ontario Government. Citizens all along the rail corridor want clean electric trains, but Premier Dalton McGuinty isn’t listening. With government sorely letting it down, the scrappy Junction Triangle fights on. But the diesel trains are coming closer and time is running out.

For more info, contact jw at jeffwinch.com.
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=139462129470907   www.cleantrain.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Building Resilience Workshop
Tues Aug 30, 5-7pm
Big Carrot Green Roof on the Danforth

Join Carrot Green Roof's Zora Ignjatovic and Courtney Raponi as they lead you through a wide range of wild local, neighbourhood plants while demonstrating how they can be useful in improving food security and one's healthy diet.  These bi-weekly sessions will teach us about identifying and using common "weeds" for our benefit, methods of preparation, medicinal uses, recipes, ethical wild harvesting practices, and much more.

Please register by contacting Zora at artdecos at rogers.com or 416-463-9031.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NFB's Free Favourites at Four presents:

Waban-Aki: People from Where the Sun Rises
Wednesday, August 31, 4 p.m.

NFB Mediatheque, 150 John St. (at Richmond St. W)

Free

Having dedicated nearly four decades to chronicling the lives of Canada's First Nations, director Alanis Obomsawin returns to the village where she was raised to craft a lyric account of her own people.

www.nfb.ca/mediatheque

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Council of Canadians Toronto Chapter monthly meeting presents:
Science of Climate Change
Wednesday, August 31, 7 – 9 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Room 3 (Queen and Bay)
Presentation by Michael Brothers

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Love, Intimacy and Communication Workshop!
Wed. August 31 · 7 - 9:30 pm
WonderWorks, 79 A Harbour St.
We are asking for a $5-10 donation from those who attend to cover the cost of the space.
A great way to get a taste of what HAI (The Human Awareness Institute) has to offer in our deeply personal workshops with these key themes:

~ Love, intimate and sexual relationships.
~ Partnership, communication and being happy with others.
~ Improving body image to improve your relationships.
~ Making the right relationship choices for you.
~ Deepening love, being honest and creating authentic connections.

**We only have space for 20, so please RSVP directly to Eric at 519-925-5902 or eric at ericnagler.com to register and officially book your spot!**
 https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=244716725539912

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vegan Society of Toronto Potluck with Guest Speaker Dr. David Sztybel

Saturday, September 3 · 6:00pm - 9:00pm
St. Thomas's Anglican Church, 383 Huron St. (near Spadina and Bloor)

This potluck will once again feature a guest speaker, and this time around I'm very pleased to announce that animal rights philosopher and writer Dr. David Sztybel has graciously agreed to come out to speak to us about his latest thoughts around animal rights philosophy, namely, Animal Ahimsa.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=142969542459321

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mini Workshop: An Introduction To Intimacy

Sunday, September 4 · 1:30pm - 4:00pm
Neighbourhood Unitarian Universalist Congregation, 79 Hiawatha Road

A great way to get a taste of what HAI (The Human Awareness Institute) has to offer in our deeply personal workshops with these key themes:

~ Love, intimate and sexual relationships.
~ Partnership, communication and being happy with others.
~ Improving body image to improve your relationships.
~ Making the right relationship choices for you.
~ Deepening love, being honest and creating authentic connections.

**No need to register, but please contact Eric at 519-925-5902 or eric at ericnagler.com if you have any questions**

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=231507700218388

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Labour Day Parade - down Queen Street - Show your support for Organized Labour!

Mon. Sept. 5

Veggie dog giveaway

Monday, September 5, 11:00am – 3:00pm - Labour Day
In front of Quality Meat Packers, Stanley Park, 700 Wellington St. W., Toronto

www.torontopigsave.org

Toronto Pig Save, TARVE, and other groups will be giving out free veggie dogs and fruit juices in a neighbourhood overshadowed by a pig slaughterhouse. It’s time to take back the neighbourhood and show what is possible.

We will be promoting an alternative vision for the Niagara neighbourhood. Instead of a pig slaughterhouse, Toronto Pig Save is advocating for a just transition for workers on Labour Day – safe, fulfilling, and meaningful jobs needed to support a food economy that is local, organic, and whole grain and plant based (that is, vegan).

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in