T.O. Greenspiration Events: Animate, organize, grow...

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 4 17:12:51 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Labour Day Parade

Mon. Sept. 5, 9:30 a.m.
Queen Street, from University Ave. to Dufferin

Celebrate the contributions of organized labour.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How to Boil a Frog

Tuesday, September 6, 6:30 p.m.
OISE Auditorium (Main Floor), 252 Bloor St. West, Toronto (St. George subway station)

Film documentary about finding light in the gloom of enviro catastrophe.
http://www.meetup.com/PostCarbonTorontoMeetup/events/30006441/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Public Names for Public Spaces Rally

Tuesday, September 6, 6:30pm
Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)

The City wants to sell out the names of Toronto's parks, subway stations, and public spaces to big business. Join us at our rally this September to put a stop to it! Our public spaces reflect the vibrant history and civic identity of the City and they should not be for sale. To send strong message to Mayor Rob Ford and Council that they should keep their hands off our City’s public spaces and subway stations, we have organized a rally this coming September 6th.
Wear something green!

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=106561772778277
Toronto Public Space Initiative   http://www.publicspaces.ca/  jayme at publicspaces.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Mobilization Meeting: Organizing to Counter Ford's Attack

Tuesday, September 6 • 7:00pm - 10:00pm
519 Church Street, Community Centre, Toronto.

A joint meeting organized by AIDS ACTION NOW and Proud of Toronto to share information, organize and strategize with residents and organizations to counter Ford's attack on HIV and AIDS, harm reduction, culture and arts funding in the LGBT communities.

Partners with the Stop The Cuts Network

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sprouts to Shouts: Growing Our Voices in Community Food Advocacy

Tuesday, September 6 · 6:00pm - 8:30pm
Big Carrot Rooftop Garden, 348 Danforth Ave (Chester subway) (enter at the door beside Book City)
Free.

This workshop aims to create a space for Torontonians involved in or interested in community food projects to connect with one another, better understand Toronto's politics of food, and build our capacity for collective and individual political advocacy and action.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=157370971007455

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peach Canning Workshop
Tuesday, September 6th, 6 - 9 p.m. (reg. at 5:45 p.m.)

Foodshare kitchen, 90 Croatia Street (Bloor and Dufferin, but the main entrance to the building is off of Brock Street)
Online registration is now open!

James Partanen, an expert canner with many years of experience, will be leading you through a delicious recipe and an in-depth discussion about canning and preserving. This will be a great way to learn new skills or brush up old ones in preparation for a full season of delicious preserving!  You will learn about the theory and practice of preserving, gain hands-on experience using a hot water bath canner, and leave with some jars of delicious preserves.

 The total cost for the workshop is $45 for West End Food Co-op members or $50 for non-members (which includes the cost of a lifetime membership). Payment can be made in person at the workshop.

Presented by the West End Food Co-op

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Last Mountain

Tues. Sept. 6, 7 p.m.
Wed. Sept. 7,  9 p.m.
Projection Booth East, 1035 Gerrard St. East (at Carlaw)
The mining and burning of coal is at the epicenter of America’s struggle to balance its energy needs with environmental concerns. Nowhere is that concern greater than in Coal River Valley, West Virginia, where a small but passionate group of ordinary citizens are trying to stop Big Coal corporations, like Massey Energy, from continuing the devastating practice of Mountain Top Removal.

http://thelastmountainmovie.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Screens presents:

Earth Keepers

Wed. Sept. 7, 7 p.m.
NFB Mediatheque, 150 John St. (at Richmond St. W.)
Free

This documentary invites viewers to follow environmentalist Mikael Rioux as he meets exceptional men and women behind innovative projects for the future of society.
www.nfb.ca/mediatheque

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Book Launch: Two Million Trees and Counting

Wednesday, September 7th, 7:30 p.m.
38 Orchard View Blvd. at the Recreational Room of the Stanley Knowles Housing Co-operative

Guest spearkers will be Danny Beaton, Mohawk Six Nations, recepient of the Environmental Aboriginal Achievement Award, Brenlee Robinson, Vice-President Ontario Urban Forestry Council, and Ken Armson, Chief Forester of Ontario.

Edmund Zavitz (1875–1968) rescued Ontario from the ravages of increasingly more powerful floods, erosion, and deadly fires. Wastelands were talking over many hectares of once-flourishing farmlands and towns. Sites like the Oak Ridges Moraine were well on their way to becoming a dust bowl — and all because of extensive deforestation.

About the Author - John Bacher received his Ph.D. in history from McMaster University in 1985 and has taught at McMaster and the University of Toronto. A co-author of Get a Life: An Environmentalist's Guide to Better Living, Bacher is a passionate supporter of environmental preservation. He lives in St. Catharines, Ontario.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Activism for Dummies
Wednesday, September 7, 6:30 - 8 p.m.
Barbara Frum Library, 20 Covington Rd, 3rd Floor, Room B

So, you’d like to change the world, or at least your small part of it, but don’t know where to start? Join us for a free hands–on workshop on making a difference.  Claudia Rodriguez-Larrain, President of Regenesis will show you how to plan, organize and deliver a powerful performance for change through creativity, while sharing some of the projects that are already underway.

Please register: call 416-395-5441  http://www.tpl.ca/bf-blog
Resources for dummies:
http://www.catalystcentre.ca/resources          http://www.sierraclub.ca/national/activist.html
http://www.tigweb.org/action-tools/guide/     Facebook event

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Energy and the Election with OCAA

Thursday, September 8th at 7 p.m.
Metro Hall, 55 John Street, Rm. #303, Toronto

Join Jack Gibbons and Angela Bischoff of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance to discuss where the provincial parties stand on energy issues -- nuclear, coal and green alternatives -- and how we can work together to promote a renewable electricity future for Ontario during the upcoming election campaign.

Rsvp to Angela or facebook

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Provincial Election Debate on Affordable Housing

Thursday, September 8 · 7:00pm - 9:00pm
Metro Central YMCA, 20 Grosvenor St, 2nd Floor Auditorium

Vote for Housing, a coalition of community groups, is working to put affordable housing on the provincial election agenda. An All-Candidates Special Debate for the Riding of Toronto Centre will focus on housing issues.

http://www.chfcanada.coop/​eng/pdf/ontdocs/HousingDeb​ateSep2011.pdf
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=232964676738856

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Political Parties on Transportation Policy: A Dialogue with Voters
Transport Action Ontario Pre-election Public Meeting

Thursday, September 8, 7:00 p.m. – 9:30 p.m.
Metro Hall, 55 John St., Rooms 308/09

Transportation issues have received little attention during recent provincial and federal elections.  This is your chance to discuss this critical subject with working politicians.

Panelists
Cheri DiNovo,  MPP for Parkdale-High Park and candidate for re-election.  Current NDP Critic for Public Transit.
Frank De Jong, former leader of the Ontario Green Party and Green Party candidate for Davenport.
Frank Klees, MPP for Newmarket – Aurora and candidate for re-election.  Current PC Critic for Transportation and Infrastructure.
The Liberal Party of Ontario has declined our invitation.
Questions and comments from the floor and from across the province will be welcome.  Please consult the TAO website: transport-action.ca/ontario for further details as they become available.

For more info: Natalie Litwin   n.litwin at sympatico.ca    416-498-0612

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Animation 101 for Change Agents

Thur. Sept. 8, 7 - 9 p.m.
663 Greenwood Ave. (Danforth and Greenwood)

What is Community Animation, and how can it help you build your social business or organization for long-term success?

http://communityanimation101.eventbrite.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Challenges of Mining in Colombia

Thursday, September 8 · 7 pm - 10 pm
Amnesty International, 1992 Yonge St., 3rd floor, 1 block north from Daivisville subway station

With a recent increase in mining activity, there have been breaches in the rule of law and a chance to increase human rights violations in this South American country. This presentation will focus on the environmental and human rights perils of a mining boom in a country with a tarnished human rights record.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=227570167291416

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The International Hearings on the Events of September 11, 2001

Septemer 8, 9, 10 and 11, Ryerson University

The objective is to examine what happened then and especially to look at the many violations of civil and human rights which have taken place since then..

Detailed information about the objectives of the Hearings and who will be involved can be found on the website, http://torontohearings.org.
Sponsored by The International Center for 9/11 Studies.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Welfare/ODSP Rates are Making Us Sick: Poverty, Health and Fighting Austerity

Public Evening Forum - Thursday, September 8th, 6-9pm

One-day Conference - Friday, September 9th, 9am – 4pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St, Toronto
*Free * Refreshments and on-site childcare provided  *Space is wheelchair lift accessible
Calling all health care providers, health and public sector workers, poor people, anti-poverty activists and allies!
The Ontario Council of Hospital Unions, Canadian Union of Public Employees – Ontario, Ontario Coalition Against Poverty, Ontario Nurses Association and Health Providers Against Poverty invite you to join us on September 8th and 9th for an important and timely public forum and conference on poverty, health, austerity and how we can fight back together.

On Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=151698788243301
Poster and more information: http://povertyhealth.blogspot.com/
*Pre-registration is requested to determine accessibility needs, childcare, space and meals. For more information and to register please visit: http://povertyhealth.blogspot.com/

Join the Raise the Rates Campaign Today! ocap.ca/rtr

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Vegetarian Association’s Vegetarian Food Festival

Fri - Sun. Sept. 9 - 11

Toronto’s Harbourfront Centre, 235 Queens Quay West

Regarded as the largest event of its kind in North America, the Annual Vegetarian Food Festival gives you an unparalleled opportunity to enjoy a diverse cross-section of vegetarian cuisine. Discover new products and ideas from more than 100 exhibitors and enjoy a wide variety of presentations and cooking demos.

Not a vegetarian? Whether you’re looking for new ideas to add colour and variety to your meals or you’re a seasoned vegetarian interested in expanding your knowledge of nutritious and ethical foods, this is the place for you.

More Info: http://veg.ca/content/view/52/83/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Voice of Women for Peace AGM

Sat. Sept. 10, 9:30 a.m. – 1:30 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave (St. George subway)
Speakers include: Joy Warner, Angela Bischoff, Martha Goodings, Anna Jaikaran, Lyn Adamson

Music and food included – free for members, $10 for guests - please rsvp to info at vowpeace.org (more details, vowpeace.org)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mass Meeting to Stop Ford's Cuts

Sat. Sept. 10, 1 - 4 p.m.
Dufferin Grove Park

Since June, we've attended information sessions, filled out city surveys, and done deputations about Rob Ford’s plan to cut crucial public services.  The response to these consultations has been clear: Torontonians want to keep our services, even if that means increasing property taxes (see Core Services Review Public Consultation)—butdon’t expect Ford and his corporate buddies pay the public’s wishes any mind.  They are too busy making money selling off our City’s assets.

The people of this City have been busy too. We've done our own People's Poll <http://bit.ly/TorontoPeoplesPoll> and our own community meetings to decide what kind of Toronto we want to build.

On Sep 19, Ford and his friends are going to meet to decide what they think Toronto should look like. We are inviting people from across Toronto to organize in their neighbourhoods, in small groups, as organizations, and as Union locals and come out to this mass meeting a week before to issue a People's Declaration for Toronto.

On Sep 26 & 27, City Hall intends to vote on the Executive Committee and Special Committee recommendations. We intend to stop them. Unless we see a clear commitment from the majority of City Hall to support the People's Declaration, we will have no choice but to call for protests against Ford and City Hall.

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=104686749631378
Join us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/stopthecuts), follow us on Twitter (www.twitter.com/tostopthecuts) or email us (tostopthecuts at gmail.com) for updates. Fill out http://bit.ly/TorontoPeoplesPoll.  http://www.torontostopthecuts.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Solar & Conservation Fair

Saturday, September 10, 11 am to 4 pm
Assembly Hall in South Etobicoke
Free.

The Fair, open to all, is a community-based initiative that explores opportunities to live and work more sustainably. Free seminars to include information on community power projects, residential and commercial rooftop solar installations, green careers, energy conservation and sustainable living. Take some time to walk about and chat with our energetic exhibitors who are at the forefront of important changes in delivering sustainable services and goods.

More Info: http://www.solarfair.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Milne Hollow Fall Planting Day 1

Saturday, September 10 - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
Registration recommended
Picnic benches by the parking lot accessed from the South side Lawrence Ave. East (just east of the Don Valley Parkway off ramp)
Old Lawrence Ave. Toronto,
Green this historic space in Toronto's backyard!  Join LEAF and City of Toronto Parks, Forestry and Recreation on the first day of planting trees and shrubs at Milne Hollow this fall. Additional vegetation helps rehabilitate this crucial to storm water management site and improves water quality by reducing the speed and quantity of water that flows during storm events.   You’ll help to rehabilitate a site crucial to storm water management in the East Don Watershed.

http://www.yourleaf.org/event/2011-09-10/milne-hollow-fall-planting-day-1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

9/11 Tenth Anniversary In Toronto

Sun. Sept. 11, doors 7:30, event starts 8 p.m.
Royal Theatre, 608 College

Hosted by Toronto-based author and TV producer Barrie Zwicker.
Tickets can be purchased in advance for $10 at CitizenInvestigationTeam.com.
At the door, tickets will be $15 (regular), $12 for students and seniors; or pay what you can.

Part of the International Hearings of the events of Sept. 11, 2001 - 4 days of events, Sept. 8-11, 2011.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Building a Culture of Peace

Sunday Sept. 11, 1 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.  (St. George subway)
(note – this follows Quaker meeting at 11 am, open to all, and potluck refreshments 12 – 1)

The event with Jean Beliveau is hosted by the Peace and Social Action Committee of Toronto Quakers. From 1 - 2 pm, we will have a program on the themes of Canadian Department of Peace initiatives and the Manifesto 2000 goals.  Jean's message is centred around the UNESCO Culture of Peace Manifesto (Respect All Life, Reject Violence, Share With Others, Listen to Understand, Preserve the Planet, Rediscover Solidarity) which is featured on his website.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vegetable Garden Tour

Sun. Sept. 11, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
High Park/Roncesvalles/Parkdale

The Horticultural Societies of Parkdale and Toronto's first Urban Vegetable Garden Tour will take place in High Park Parkdale, a self-guided garden tour of 15 eclectic urban vegetable gardens and a free talk by noted author and urban farmer Lorraine Johnson at 2:00 at the High Park Baptist Church at Roncesvalles and Hewitt, plus mini-presentations by gardeners. Gardens range from community gardens, allotments, a rooftop container garden over a three-car garage, compact backyard container gardens, educational kids' gardens, and a hockey rink that converts to a veg garden in the summer.

Tickets available at Mabel's, Another Story Bookshop, The Flower Room, Sweet Pea's, $10 (cash only), $5 for students and seniors. For more information go to www.parkdaletorontohort.com or email vegtour at parkdaletorontohort.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride for Real Food - Bike-a-thon

The West End Food Co-op (a non-profit multi-stakeholder co-op) is organizing the Ride for Real Food Bike-A-Thon for Sunday September 25th.  This ride will support WEFC's opening of a new store/food hub in Parkdale.  Become a rider!

Learn more here: www.westendfood.coop/bike-a-thon.

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in