T.O. Greenspiration Events: tribute for Jack

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 11 17:19:32 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

A Tribute Concert For Jack Layton

Monday, September 12 · 7:30pm - 10:00pm
El Mocambo, 464 Spadina Ave.

Andrea Horwath and Ontario’s New Democrats are hosting a one-night-only musical tribute to Jack Layton.
This free event will feature award-winning Canadian musicians from across the country, including:

• Hawksley Workman       • Andrew Cash
• Will Currie and the Country French      • Kevin Hearn
• Carleton Stone     • Kevin Fox     • Justin Rutledge

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=216624278391517

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

JustEarth is Gearing Up for the Fall

Monday Sept. 12 at 7:00 p.m.
419 Carlton St (free parking)
If arriving by TTC, please note that the 506 streetcar is on diversion; plan on getting off at Parliament and walking down Carlton.
Agenda:

Provincial election campaign strategy on climate change.
Support for Sept. 26 civil disobedience action in Ottawa: http://www.tarsandsaction.org/ottawa-action/
Report from Patricia Warwick on her experience on civil disobedience in Washington.
Lobbying federal MPs.
Climate Action Network AGM in Montreal Nov 1-2. Strategic directions, plans for federal action for the year.
Refreshments (wine, etc., cheese and dessert, a chance to socialize)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

All Out to Break the Silence Now!

Mon. Sept. 12

Demonstration:
    5:30pm to 6:30pm, Yonge & Dundas Square – (southeast corner). Bring your drums, voices, etc.– let’s make noise.

Film Showing “Will the Real Terrorist Please Stand Up” by Saul Landau
    7:30pm, Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St. (near Spadina and College)

FIVE HEROES after risking their own lives by infiltrating U.S.-based terrorist groups that killed 3,478 people and maimed 2,099 others since the triumph of the Cuban Revolution in 1959, who saved thousands, imprisoned in the U.S. in order to prevent further attacks against their country and others!

September 12th marks the 13th year of the unjust imprisonment of these anti-terrorist FIVE HEROES, just one day after another anniversary of the vile terrorist attack against the twin towers, so... WHY IS THE MEDIA SILENT?

Organized by: Toronto Forum on Cuba http://torontoforumoncuba.weebly.com, mailto:torontoforumoncuba at rogers.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Neighbours 21 presents:

The Coming Election – What it Means for Clean Energy in Ontario

Monday, Sept. 12, 7:00-9:00 pm
St Michael and All Angels Church (southeast corner of St. Clair and Wychwood, enter off Wychwood, through wooden gate, top floor)

Dalton McGuinty’s Green Energy Act has made Ontario a leader in clean energy, creating new green jobs and reducing our use of coal. But the Act has its critics, and Tim Hudak is promising to repeal it if elected. Come and learn about what the Green Energy Act does, what the critics say, where the different parties stand,  what you can do to support clean energy in this election

Speaker: Cheryl McNamara, Citizens Climate Lobby

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Building Resilience Workshop Series

Tues. Sept. 13, 5 - 7 p.m.
Big Carrot Green Roof on the Danforth (enter stairwell beside book store on the Danforth)
Join Carrot Green Roof's Zora Ignjatovic and Courtney Raponi as they lead you through a wide range of wild local, neighbourhood plants while demonstrating how they can be useful in improving food security and one's healthy diet.  These bi-weekly sessions will teach us about identifying and using common "weeds" for our benefit, methods of preparation, medicinal uses, recipes, ethical wild harvesting practices, and much more.

Please register by contacting Zora at artdecos at rogers.com or 416-463-9031.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally in Support of Public Health Care

Tuesday September 13, 12 noon

Queen’s Park

Gather with us to to send provincial candidates the message that public health care is a priority for Ontarians. Ontario needs more hospital beds, more public long term care facilities, more home care, affordable prescription drugs and transparency in their health care system. We need to stop hospital/ER closures and the building of P3s. And perhaps most importantly, Ontarians need a strong provincial leader who is committed to strengthening medicare, fighting for a strong next health care accord and they need to provide health care that respects the principles of the Canada Health Act.
Organized by the Ontario Health Coalition and the Council of Canadians

More information.
Facebook event listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Centre for Social Innovation (CSI) is opening a new workspace for people working at the
intersection of design and social change. Find out more...

Information Session #1
Tuesday, September 13 @ 5:30pm
CSI Annex
720 Bathurst Street, Ground Floor

       	Information Session #2
Tuesday, September 20 @ 3:30pm
For more information, visit http://socialinnovation.ca/space/design.

Questions? Comments? email design at socialinnovation.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

1.4 Billion Reasons (to end Global Extreme Poverty)

Tues. September 13, 7:00pm - 8:30pm
Network Orange @ ING DIRECT Downtown Toronto Café, 221 Yonge St, 2nd floor

This may be your last opportunity to catch Raising The Village's public presentations of 1.4 Billion Reasons. We invite you to attend this public presentation, learn, and join the movement. Be inspired and challenged that extreme global poverty can be stopped within our lifetimes...read more

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

“Menocracy” screening

Tuesday, September 13, 7:30 p.m.
St. Paul's Anglican Church, 227 Bloor Street East
Free!

The Toronto Chapter of Fair Vote Canada is holding a film event on September 13 at 7:30 pm at St. Paul's Church on Bloor. We will see parts of Menocracy, a new film by Canadian filmmaker, Gretchen Kelbaugh, about the issue of women's representation in the U.S., Canada and Britain. The film will be followed by coffee and discussion.

Facebook event listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Net Tuesday: Google Grants

Tues. September 13, 5:30 pm
CSI Spadina, 215 Spadina Ave, Suite 120

Do you want to drive more visitor traffic to your organization’s website? Do you want to make it easier for supporters and donors to search for your website? Do you want more web traffic from visitors of a specific geographical area, age group, gender, or other demographic? Do you want to focus the attention of your visitors to a specific page on your website?... read more
Adrienne Silnicki

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Safe(r) Space Social

Tuesday, September 13 • 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Ryerson University Student Campus Centre (Thomas Lounge), 55 Gould Street
INFO: studentsagainstracism at rsuonline.ca

Join Students Against Racism (SAR) in a conversation about what we can do to create an anti-racist, equitable and safe
environment for students. There will be free dinner, lively discussion, performances and a whole lot of fun.

Most importantly, the space will be safe(r) for students, faculty and community members to express themselves.
Come on out and get to know your student equity service group!  FREE FOOD!  Everyone is welcome!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

All Candidates Forum - Parkdale

Tues. September 13, at 6:45 pm
St. John’s Parish Hall at 186 Cowan Avenue

The event organized by Parkdale Community Health Centre (PCHC), Parkdale Activity Recreation Centre (PARC) and West End Food Co-op (WEFC) will include:

Cheri Di Novo, MPP Parkdale-High Park
Justin Trottier, Candidate for Parkdale-High Park, Green Party of Ontario Cortney Pasternak, Candidate for Parkdale-High Park, Liberal Party of Ontario Joseph Ganetakos, Candidate for Parkdale-High Park, Progressive Conservative Party of Ontario.

The 2011 Report Card on Health, Housing and Food Security covers the trends on these key issues in Parkdale.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free Favourites at Four presents:

This Land

Wed. Sept. 14, 4 p.m.
NFB Mediatheque, 150 John St. (at Richmond St. W.)
Free

Seven Canadian and Inuit rangers and one female documentary filmmaker set out to cover more than 2000 km of the harshest terrain on the planet: the Arctic landscape.
www.nfb.ca/mediatheque

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stand Up - Speak OUT to Eradicate Poverty
A pre-election seminar - Working to Eradicate Poverty in Ontario: And Education and Action Evening

with Peter Clutterbuck, Poverty Free Ontario on his cross-Ontario educational campaign

Wed. Sept. 14, 7 - 9 p.m.
Eglinton St. George's United Church, 35 Lytton Ave.

Hear the lessons learned from his travels across the province.
Find out what you can do to help eradicate poverty - before and after the provincial election.
Take away ideas to share with your own community.

To register, send an email to fairlawnsocialjustice at gmail.com
Sponsored by the Outreach/Social Justice Teams of Eglinton St. George's United Church and Fairlawn Ave. United Church

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

> Provincial Election 2011 forum: Housing Rights, Tenant Rights
>
> What the government needs to do to end the housing crisis and what the parties have promised
>
> Wed. September 14, 10:30 .m. - noon
> 519 Church Street (one block east of Wellesley subway station)
>
> Which parties support a right to housing?
> Which parties committed to maintaining and improving rent regulation to protect security of tenure and affordability for tenants?
> How much did each party commit to spending on new affordable housing?
> What will they do about landlords who take the rent, but don’t repair their buildings?
> What has each party done for tenants and people in need of good housing in the past?
>
> Speakers include:
> Rosary Spence – Native Women’s Resource Centre
> Deb Sherman - Ontario Mental Health and Addictions Alliance
> Kenn Hale – Advocacy Centre for Tenants Ontario

> This event is free.
> Snacks will be provided.
> TTC tokens available on request.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Five Myths You've Been Told About the Birth Control Pill That Threaten Your Health, Happiness and Future Fertility

Thursday Sept 15,  7:00-8:00 pm (ET)

Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Ave. 4th Floor, Toronto, Ontario

Live Talk by Donation to WHEN (Womens' Healthy Environment Network)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dr. Chun Resource Library Open House

Thursday September 15, 2011, 3-6pm

Dr. Chun Resource Library, in The Centre for Women and Trans People at U of T

Join us for this casual drop-in social to check out our in-house library and our social justice-themed collection of books, zines, periodicals, vertical files, DVDs and CDs. Learn more about volunteer opportunities, events and programming including ‘Radical Reads’ book club and ‘Words of Resistance’ poetry & spoken word nights. Meet new people, eat yummy food and enjoy an exciting art showcase including video and poetry! Free raffle draw to win special issues of Fireweed journal!

The Dr. Chun Resource Library is a joint project between OPIRG-Toronto and The Centre for Women and Trans People at U of T

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Oak Ridges Moraine: 10 years later is it really protected?

Thursday, September 15, 8 – 9 a.m.
Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Ave., Suite 120
Free with reservation.

A breakfast forum featuring:
David Miller, former Mayor of Toronto
Kim Gavine, Oak Ridges Moraine Foundation
Debbe Crandell, Save the Oak Ridges Moraine Coalition
Fred Johnson, Enviroscape Consulting Services

The Oak Ridges Moraine Foundation is proud to release Measuring Success on the Oak Ridges Moraine. Two years in the making the eight-volume study documents where we are with the Oak Ridges Moraine Conservation Plan on the Moraine – successes, shortcomings, what's working, what isn't – and provides the government and other stakeholders with recommended actions and the data needed to plot a course that ensures its successful implementation and realization.
Although there have been many successes on the Oak Ridges Moraine, gaps and deficiencies are showing in the decade-old legislation and threats to the Moraine's ecological and hydrological integrity are on-going.
Registration is free but required. Please email rsvp at sustainabilitynetwork.ca and provide your name and affiliation. A continential breakfast will be available.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Privatization of Municipal Services - with Dr. Mildred Warner

Thursday, September 15, 6:30 p.m.
Ryerson University, Thomas Lounge, Oakham House, 63 Gould St.

You are invited to attend a public lecture by Dr. Mildred Warner, a professor in the Department of City and Regional Planning at Cornell University. Dr. Warner is a leading expert in the study of privatizing municipal government services, both in the United States and internationally.

"The pressures on politicians ... are to address fiscal crises and save money. Politicians who talk about privatizing public services because it is less expensive have later found this to be false. Sometimes privatization can be more costly.”

"Privatization is not a panacea. Many municipalities - who have privatized services - often reverse course. These reversals are primarily due to problems with service quality and lack of cost savings. Many times they find the private services lack efficiency. And private firms, once competitive on price, become monopolies at a later time.”

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Manifesto Festival

Sept. 15-25
11 days, 14 events, 100+ artists, 1 city – Celebrating Community, Culture and the Arts

http://themanifesto.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Feminism 101

Friday, September 16 • 12:00pm - 4:00pm
Oakham House, Room A/B , 55 Gould St., Ryerson

Info: womenscentre at rsuonline.ca
Facebook event page: http://on.fb.me/pCQl7a

It’s time to come together, stand up, and fight back!

Learn about feminist activism and the many ways you can be an activist too.
Interested in learning more about the women’s centre and how you can be a part of feminist organizing on campus?
Join us for a day of captivating speakers, free lunch, open dialogue, and become a part of women’s collective at Ryerson.

The Women’s Centre is one of five equity service groups including RyePRIDE, RyeACCESS, the Community Food Room, and Students Against Racism.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Park(ing) Day
Fri. Sept. 16
PARK(ing) Day is an annual, worldwide event that invites citizens everywhere to transform metered parking spots into temporary parks for the public good.
http://parkingday.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Windfest 2011: Toronto's Waterfront Kite Festival

Sat. September 17
noon - 8 pm
Woodbine Beach (at Ashbridges Bay)

Windfest is Toronto’s largest kite festival. From expert kite fliers, to kids flying their first kite, there is a space for everyone at WindFest. Kite flying is a fun, safe, creative and multi-cultural activity that anyone can enjoy! We’ll have workshops on how to make kites, and how to fly kites too!... read more

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Energy and the Environment in Ontario: Nuclear, Coal, or Renewables?

Sunday September 18, 2 - 4 p.m.
OISE, Room 5280, 252 Bloor Street West (at St. George Subway)

Energy and the environment will be crucial issues in the coming Ontario election. The Liberal Party claims to have an energy-friendly platform lead by the Green Energy Act, and endorsed by David Suzuki. But embedded in Liberal platform is a long-term costly commitment to nuclear power. At the same time, the NDP – traditional ally of environmentalism – is waffling on the issue of wind power and has committed to removing the HST on fuel. Waiting in the wings is the Tory party, with plans to build more nukes while killing green energy developments.

This study group will explore some of these key energy issues. It will be convened by Angela Bischoff (Ontario Clean Air Alliance), Paul Kellogg (Toronto Bolivia Solidarity) and Roberto Garcia (Ontario Sustainable Energy Association). There will be lots of time for discussion.

Part of the series: Planet or Death: Climate Justice versus Climate Change
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195935420470486

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

City Cider

Sun. September 18, 1:00pm - 5:00pm
Spadina Museum, 285 Spadina Road (beside Casa Loma)
$5 (includes admission to the museum)

Not Far From The Tree is teaming up with Spadina Museum to make this a fun-filled afternoon for all. Higher Ground will perform on stilts, live music by The Orchards and Nathan Hiltz with vocal guest, and YogaRocks will do yoga for kids. Enjoy a corn roast, orchard tours and so much more... read more

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Working Bee and Urban Garden Tour
Sun. September 18, 10am to 6pm
Oasis Gardens (near Broadview and Danforth)
Organized By: Transition Toronto, TPP - GTA, Oasis Gardens, and Seeds of Change

The Oasis Garden area needs a general clean-up, organization of its wealth of reclaimed building materials, space to store its tools, and its organizers need to see some progress before they will let Transition Toronto and The Permaculture Project take them to a deeper shade of green.  We are holding an event at the gardens that will be both a working bee and a warm-up party for the permaculture-inspired overhaul of gardens.  Join us to start the process of creating an example of how much good some well-thought-out gardening can do in our urban environment.

The day will include free food picked and prepared on site, an educational tour of the garden including the myriad species already in place there, experts on hand to answer all your gardening questions, delicious mushrooms, home-made sub-irrigation garden containers, and, of course, plenty of opportunity to get your hands dirty and do some good.

RSVP transitiontoronto at gmail.com or

http://transitiontoronto.ning.com/events/event/show?id=4627225%3AEvent%3A19605&xgi=1nKbgKh5qxWoOz&xg_source=msg_invite_event

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Training Day: Stop Ford's Agenda!

Sunday September 18, 10 am – 4 pm
Location TBA

Join us for a day of skill-building, planning and networking in the lead up to the September 19 Executive Committee Meeting and the September 26-27, City Council meetings. We are building a movement to stop the cuts at the municipal, provincial, and federal levels.  We demand: Stop the cuts!  Expand services!  No handouts to cops and corporations!

Workshops include:
- How to do a Deputation
- Civil Disobedience
- How to Talk to Right-Wing People About the Cuts
... and more!

Light refreshments and onsite childcare provided.
Please RSVP by emailing Sept10volunteers at gmail.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Farmer Training from Everdale Organic Farm

Are you ready to farm? No matter what stage you're at in your thinking Everdale has a course for you. We combine curriculum based learning with presentations from experienced farmers and mentorship to guide you on your journey. Courses will start this October in both Toronto and Guelph. Please see our website athttp://farmertraining.everdale.org/ or contact david.alexander at everdale.org for more details on pricing and cost sharing opportunities.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take Action - Tell City Council to Save our Environmental Programs!

Please sign the petition below to tell City Council and the Mayor that you value the City's environmental programs and services. We'll present this petition to Council in September when they vote on the Mayor's proposed service cuts.
http://torontoenvironment.org/servicereview/petition

In addition to the petition, we are encouraging residents to:
- Call your Councillor (especially the middle to right-leaning Councillors) to voice their concern over potential cuts to environmental programs and services.
- Download and post this flyer in your community.
- Talk with your neighbours about the importance of city services, and the long term problems of making quick
decisions without the facts.
Heather Marshall, Toronto Environmental Alliance
416 596-0660 | torontoenvironment.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Friends of the Arts has launched an online petition to let City Councillors know that Torontonians value the arts: http://www.ipetitions.com/petition/friendsofthearts/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto's Price Tag - 4 min. video about the T.O. City Cuts

> http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=kNuuR12HxBc

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in