No Nukes News: Canada's nuclear sacrifice

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Sep 13 10:53:23 EDT 2011

No Nukes News

Sept. 13, 2011

- If the evacuation zone had expanded to 100, 200 or 300 kilometers, it
would have included the whole Kanto region. That would have forced 30
million people to evacuate, compromising the very existence of the Japanese
nation. That's the biggest reason why I changed my views on nuclear power.
If there are risks of accidents that could make half the land mass of our
country uninhabitable, we cannot afford to take such risks, even if we are
only going to be playing with those risks once a century. - Ex-Japanese
Prime Minister Kan <http://www.asahi.com/english/TKY201109060244.html>

- With a very important Ontario election underway, we are asking PC Leader
Tim Hudak and all other election candidates to sign our
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/hudak_nukecost> Electricity Consumer
Protection Pledge and promise Ontario's hard working families that they will
not allow nuclear companies to pass their future cost overruns onto
consumers and taxpayers. Send your letter
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/hudak_nukecost>  now! And order our free
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets> The Billion
Dollar Question That Tim Hudak Needs To Answer pamphlets to distribute in
your riding. All ON taxpayers need to see this messaging!

 <http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/recent/Dave-Martin-/> R.I.P. Dave
Martin, shining light of the anti-nuke movement in Canada

 <http://bit.ly/oja5nr> France Urged to Toughen Nuclear Stress Tests
Following Accident

<http://www.thestar.com/opinion/editorialopinion/article/1051287--choose-gre
en-energy-stop-darlington> Choose green energy: Stop Darlington - Ontarians
need to ask if our politicians are preparing for the post-Fukushima world.

 <http://stopdarlington.org/declaration/> The Darlington Declaration: I
Choose Green Energy - 150 organizations oppose new reactors at Darlington
and choose green energy

 <http://bit.ly/mUabFA> Nuclear not the answer to power demands - letter to
the editor by Jack Gibbons

<http://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/remembering-311--six-months-after-t
he-fukushima-reactor-disaster-key-lessons-appear-to-be-going-unlearned-12945
5728.html> Remembering "3/11": Six Months After the Fukushima Reactor
Disaster, Key Lessons Appear To Be Going Unlearned

 <http://bit.ly/oPeBfp> Fukushima disaster: it's not over yet - Six months
after the multiple meltdowns at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant, the
streets have been cleared but the psychological damage remains

 <http://mdn.mainichi.jp/mdnnews/news/20110909p2a00m0na014000c.html> Over
100,000 Fukushima Prefecture residents can't return to hometowns

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-2YemQK4s8> Caldicott on Fukushima
radiation releases - 8 min. video

 <http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110909/peter-kent-emissions-110909/>
Ottawa warns pending coal emissions rules will be enforced

 <http://www.greenprosperity.ca/> Where do the ON parties stand on the
environment? Includes the parties' positions on nuclear, coal and green
energy.

 <http://ccnr.org/crl_sacrifice.pdf> Canada's Nuclear Sacrifice Area - It
includes some eye-opening material on the NRU reactor and the production of
medical radioisotopes at Chalk River.

<http://www.energysavvy.com/blog/2011/07/13/ticking-atomic-clock-nuclear-pow
er-vs-efficient-homes/> A Ticking Atomic Clock: Nuclear Power vs. Efficient
Homes - Why home energy efficiency is more cost effective and better for our
economy than replacing our nation's dying nuclear power plants.

<http://www.reachingcriticalwill.org/resources/publications/costs-risks-myth
s.html> Costs, risks and myths of nuclear power - NGO world-wide study on
the implications of the catastrophe at the Fukushima Dai-ichi Nuclear Power
Station. Zach Ruiter, on behalf of OCAA, submitted the Canadian chapter.

<http://us1.campaign-archive2.com/?u=8ad03259f83284122b4c215dd&id=dd4806617d
&e=2ee2c37008> Top 5 Myths of the Green Energy Act

Events:

 <http://www.fairvote.ca/democracy-week-events-kitchener-waterloo> The Role
of Nuclear Power in Ontario's Clean Energy Future: A Debate  - Sept. 15,
Kitchener-Waterloo, 7 p.m.

<http://www.ontario-sea.org/Page.asp?PageID=1209&ContentID=3165&SiteNodeID=2
18> OSEA FIT Webinar Series: Discussing the Future of the Feed-in Tariff
program and solar power development in Ontario, Sept. 15

<http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=204028202973230#!/event.php?eid=15349
5761390784> Windfest 2011: Toronto's Waterfront Kite Festival - Celebration
of kites and wind energy - Sept. 17, Woodbine Beach, Toronto

 <http://wattsnext.ca/green_field_day_submission.php>
 <https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=195935420470486> Energy and the
Environment in Ontario: Nuclear, Coal, or Renewables? - Sept. 18, 2 p.m.
OISE, Toronto - Angela speaking

 <http://wattsnext.ca/green_field_day_submission.php> Green Energy Field Day
- all around Ontario, Sept. 24th

Stop the Tar Sands <http://www.ottawaaction.ca/>  - Participate in the