ON Election 3 weeks away - can you help us put nukes on the agenda?

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Sep 15 16:16:00 EDT 2011

Hello anti-nuke friends,

Help us put nuke issues onto the election agenda! Here's how.

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/Election_2011_final.pdf>

As you know, there's a very important provincial election in full swing, and
election day is just 3 weeks away! Both the Liberals and Tories have
promised to refurbish and build new nuclear power plants if elected, while
both the NDP and Green parties have promised to replace nuclear power with
conservation, renewables, hydro imports from Quebec, and CHP.

In our election questionnaire <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/quest2011> ,
we asked the 4 major parties if they would end the nuclear industry's
special deal to pass cost overruns onto electricity consumers and taxpayers
- the Liberals, NDP and Greens all responded yes! Unfortunately, the
Conservatives didn't bother to respond, so we must assume that they would
continue the sweetheart deal with the nuclear power lobby. So here's what
you can do to help sink new nuclear projects in Ontario:

1.      Send PC Leader Tim Hudak a
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/hudak_nukecost> letter asking him to sign
the  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/nuke%20pledge%20letter.pdf>
Electricity Consumer Protection Pledge.

2.      Download the
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/nuke%20pledge%20letter.pdf> pledge
and ask all candidates that come to your door to sign it.

3.      Take copies of the
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/nuke%20pledge%20letter.pdf> pledge to
your all-candidates forums and during Q&A, ask candidates to sign the
pledge.

4.       <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets>
Order free leaflets to distribute to your friends and neighbours.

5.    Volunteer to distribute our election
<http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/Election_2011_final.pdf> leaflets
door-to-door in your riding or in the area of our choice.

Find out more. Watch Jack Gibbons, Chair of the OCAA, talk about our
election campaign here <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/> . And if you're
keen to learn more about where all the parties stand on energy issues
(nuclear, coal, renewables, conservation), join me for a public forum:

Energy and the Environment in Ontario: Nuclear, Coal, or Renewables?

Sunday September 18, 2pm, OISE, 252 Bloor Street West (at St. George
Subway), Rm 5280, Toronto
Speakers: Angela Bischoff (Ontario Clean Air Alliance), Paul Kellogg
(Toronto Bolivia Solidarity) and Roberto Garcia (Ontario Sustainable Energy
Association).

Thank you for expressing your opposition to new nuclear bail outs.

-angela

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance