T.O. Greenspiration Events: People's Plan

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 18 23:56:32 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a
Check out the new provincial election website: TheBestOntarioElectionWebsite.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The 5th Annual
Manifesto Festival of Community & Culture

September 15th-25th
11 Days. 14 Events. 100+ Artists. 100+ Organizers. 1 City. 1Love.

FACEBOOK: www.facebook.com/ManifestoFestival
MANIFESTO: www.themanifesto.ca
TWITTER: @manifesto_fest #manifesto5yr
VIMEO: www.vimeo.com/themanifesto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Support the People’s Plan – don’t sell out our waterfront!

Add your voice. Sign the petition.
http://www.change.org/petitions/city-councillors-respect-the-peoples-plan-for-the-waterfront

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Petition: Save T.O. Environmental and Urban Agriculture Programs!

We petition the City of Toronto to maintain important environmental and community services including tree planting goals, the urban agriculture program and the Toronto Environment Office.

http://pushfoodforward.com/civicrm/profile/create?reset=1&gid=4

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the Cuts

Mon. Sept. 19, 9:30 a.m. throughout the day
City Hall, Council Chambers
City executive committee discusses Core Services Review final report. Come and support deputants, or make a deputation yourself.
Find out more here.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Breakfast of Champions

Monday, September 19, 7:30 – 9 a.m.
Holy Trinity Church, 10 Trinity Square (west side of Eaton Centre)
Free but reservations a must! http://breakfastofchamps.eventbrite.com/

Come save our City! Come to the Breakfast of Champions!
A gathering of the Champions of the City of Toronto prior to the City Executive Committee's public hearings on the future of our city services. Celebrity servers will provide you breakfast!
Tell the Mayor what you think. Email exc at toronto.ca to register to speak to the Executive Committee.
Hosted by OneToronto, www.onetoronto.ca
Questions? Call 416 445 5819 x21

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

More Than “No Means No”: Reconceptualizing Consent

Mon. Sept. 19, 2-4pm
University College Arts Centre, 15 King’s College Circle
with the Native Youth Sexual Health Network
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

What is Anti-oppression?
with Sharmeen Khan

Mon. Sept. 19, 6:30-8:30pm
Centre for Women and Trans People, 563 Spadina Crescent, Suite 100
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global Health Office, Dalla Lana School of Public Health & Random House Canada invite you to intend a reading and discussion with author

Tzeporah Berman on her book - This Crazy Time: Living our Environmental Challenge

Monday, September 19 at 12noon
7th Floor Graduate Student Lounge, 155 College Street
RSVP to j.kopelow at utoronto.ca

Passionate, profound, inspiring and funny, Berman is inspiring people from all walks of life to get off the sidelines and fight the good fight--and win. This unique book--part manifesto from a leader, part humorous activist memoir from a soccer mom--offers a wryly onest, behind the scenes, ultimately uplifting look at the state of the planet. For almost 20 years, Tzeporah Berman has been one of our most influential environmentalists. A founder of ForestEthics and PowerUp Canada, she was instrumental in shaping the tactics and concerns of the modern environmental movement.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tzeporah Berman, author of This Crazy Time
in conversation with Rick Smith, author or Slow Death by Rubber Duck

Tuesday, September 20th, 7pm
Indigo Bay & Bloor – 55 Bloor Street West
For more information: www.indigo.ca/events
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Indigo-Bay-Bloor/152887194725791

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

How We Stopped Loving the Bomb - An insider's account
of the world on the brink of nuclear disarmament

Book launch and discussion with the author Senator Douglas Roche, O.C.
Tuesday, September 20, 5:30 p.m. - 7 p.m.
Divinity Common Room, the University of Trinity College, 6 Hoskin Ave

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Voting Smart: Navigating our Choices in the Ontario Provincial Election

Tuesday, September 20, 6 – 8 p.m. (6 p.m. light dinner served, 6:30 p.m. panel discussion and q&a)
Lower Social Room, Noor Cultural Centre, 123 Wynford Drive (east of the DVP)

In light of the upcoming Ontario provincial election in October 2011, Noor is hosting a discussion on some of the primary issues
voters will consider before casting their ballots, including economic direction, environmental concerns, and the state of our health
care system.
Economic Direction - Armine Yalnizyan, Senior Economist, Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives

Environmental Concerns - Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg, Environmental Health Professor, Ontario Institute for Studies in Education, University of Toronto; film producer

The Health Care System - Natalie Mehra, Executive Director, Ontario Health Coalition

More information
Facebook event listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Behind Closed Doors: the fight to keep the People's Plan for the waterfront

Tues. 20 September · 10:30 - 11:30 am
Nathan Phillips Square, 100 Queen Street West (at Bay)

Join CodeBlueTO in demonstrating love for the current Waterfront Toronto plan for the Lower Don Lands. We want a beautiful, inspiring and welcoming urban community with extensive parkland, housing for 19,000 people and work for 14,000. We say yes to a revitalized mouth of the Don River – to naturalization, adequate flood protection and real city building. To a sustainable development that will inspire the world as a model for th...e new millennium.

Be a part of saying no to deals made behind closed doors. To handing additional power to a company controlled by the Fords. To a megamall, a monorail, a Ferris wheel, an elite hotel, or any other spectacle that doesn't improve the shoreline of Lake Ontario or the Don.Let's stay the course. Our City. Our Waterfront.

10:30–11  Float Your Boat - Paper boat making with your personal message about what you want to see on the waterfront, in Toronto, and from our city council

11:00  Behind Closed Doors - A demonstration of the two choices in front of city council, showing which one is the People's Plan
Includes a special sing-along performance by "Charlie Rich" followed by the delivery of CodeBlueTO's petition to City Hall

 http://codeblueto.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Direct Action Gets the Goods
with Jessica Bell

Tues. Sept. 20, 1-3pm
Hart House, East Common Room, 7 Hart House Circle

http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Deconstructing the Immigration System:  Myths and racism in the canadian state
with Syed Hussan and Francisco Villegas, members of No One Is Illegal

Tues. Sept. 20, 4-6pm
OISE Room 2281, 252 Bloor St W.
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Showdown at Ground Zero:  A Retrospective on the tenth anniversary of 9/11
with Sunera Thobani

Tues. Sept. 20, 7pm
William Doo Auditorium, 45 Willcocks Street
http://disorientation2011.org
Facebook event page: http://on.fb.me/qrbFWZ

Dr. Thobani was the first woman of colour to serve as president of the National Action Committee on the Status of Women. Committed to making the politics of anti-racism central to the women’s movement, Ms. Thobani has written and spoken on many issues, including the impact of globalization on women’s citizenship; Canadian immigration and social policy; new reproductive technologies; violence against women; and women and APEC. She teaches at the University of British Columbia and is a founding member of the cross-Canada Researchers and Academics of Colour for Equity (RACE) network.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Mother Outlaws' Speakers Series

Tuesday September 20, 6:30pm- 9:00pm
Women's College Hospital , Boardroom E252, 76 Grenville Street (Bay and College)
Scent-free environment please
Free
This panel will address several motherhood organizations featured in the ground breaking 2011 anthology by Demeter Press that highlight maternal advocacy, activism, and social change. The keynote address will discuss the challenges and possibilities of maternalism, detail the strategies of 21st century maternal activism, and affirm a much-needed mother-centered theory and politics of feminism.
http://www.motherhoodinitiative.org/moss.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Arab Spring
With Human Rights Watch’s Sarah Leah Whitson

Tues. Sept. 20, 6 p.m.
Textile Museum of Canada, 55 Centre Ave. (Dundas and University)
Free

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Greening OISE Launch:

Water on the Table
film screening with Maude Barlow

Tues. Sept. 20, 5 p.m.
OISE library, main floor
Followed by discussion with Liz Marshall

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally for Nature

Wed. Sept. 21, 11 a.m.
Queens Park

Support Ontario Nature’s bid for a biodiversity charter.
Ontarionature.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Drawing Lines: Figure Studies of Toronto City Council

Wednesday, September 21 · 9 am - noon
Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)

Artists and non-artists of all skill levels are welcome to come to the first session at city hall and draw the councilors in situ. We will meet in a committee room at 9am for a quick drawing tutorial. At 10am we will proceed into the council chambers and draw. You are welcome to stay for as long as you want.

Please bring a pad of paper 12" x14" (comfortable enough to be on your lap) and drawing tools (coloured pencils, pastels, charcoal, conté....).  There will be a public show of your favorite drawings. Everyone can participate. Times and location to be determined.

Everyone invited! Learn to Draw! Learn about city government!
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=194471910617974

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A World of Shorts presents:

Sex, Drugs and Rock 'n' Roll

Wed. Sept. 21, 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.
NFB Mediatheque, 150 John St. (at Richmond St. W.)
$6, $4 for students, seniors, and members and passholders

A rough ‘n' ready line-up that strips the rock star lifestyle down to its raw, unglamourous truth.  Meet the suburban drug dealer still living with mom, the indie band living out all the clichés, a caustic punk bromance and more.
www.nfb.ca/mediatheque

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

U.S. Peace Activist Medea Benjamin to Speak in Toronto

Wednesday, September 21st , 7:00pm- 9:00pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St, Toronto, ON

Facebook event: http://on.fb.me/q7lfZj

Medea Benjamin, Code Pink co-founder is banned from Canada due to her peace activism. We challenged this border issue with Ann Wright last year and succeeded. Please join us for an event with Medea, and other great speakers, on Canada's borders, peace, and beyond.

This event is sponsored by Code Pink Canada, The Council of Canadians, and the Indigenous Environmental Network.

$5 donation to Code Pink and Beit Zatoun recommended at the door. Other great speakers TBA soon! If Medea is prevented from entering Canada, she will speak either live or by very recent filmed documentary.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Independent Media Fair!

Wed. Sept. 21, noon-4pm
Outdoors on Willcocks Street, just west of St. George
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Understanding Mainstream Media
with Justin Podur

Wed. Sept. 21, 1 – 3 p.m.
Wetmore Hall (New College), Room 75, 300 Huron Street
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadian Extractive Industries and How to Stop Them: A workshop about Neoliberalism and Colonization
with the Mining Injustice Solidarity Network

Wed. Sept. 21, 4-6pm
OISE Room 5150, 252 Bloor St. W.
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Labor Unionism Today: Limits and legacies
with Sam Gindin

Wed. Sept. 21, 7-9pm
OISE Room 2213, 252 Bloor St. W.
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Orthomolecular Approaches to Cancer Treatment

Presented by Paul Saunders, PhD, ND

Wednesday, September 21, 7:00 pm
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West, Room 5150

This lecture will outline the evidence-based practices of nutritional and orthomolecular medicine in the treatment of cancer.

Learn about the safety and efficacy of substances which occur naturally in the body, including vitamins, minerals and essential fats.

Understand the treatments which may be used in adjunct to conventional medicine, for improved outcomes and quality of life.
Produced by Orthomolecular Health in association with the International Schizophrenia Foundation.
16 Florence Avenue, Toronto, ON M2N 1E9 Direct Phone: (416) 733-2117 Email: centre at orthomed.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Engaging Individuals to Invest in Your Charity's Mission

Thur. Sept. 22, 9 a.m. – 4 p.m.
Alterna Room, 4th Floor, Centre for Social Innovation , 215 Spadina Ave., Toronto

Registration Fee: $100 http://www.gifttool.com/registrar/ShowEventDetails?ID=1906&EID=9762

Organizational success depends on dedicated board directors, committed members and generous donors.  It is important to identify individuals with the greatest likelihood to support your charity’s work.  Learn how to identify and court those who care about your cause.  Then ask them for a commitment.   Individuals are your best source of support!  Find out how to keep them engaged in a long-term relationship that will pay dividends on your efforts.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eyewitness to War - Panel Discussion

Thursday, September 22 • 7 pm - 10 pm
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto, ON.
INFO: gtwa.isc at gmail.com

It has been 10 years since Canada, the U.S. and their allies went to war in Afghanistan, a war that has now jumped the border with Pakistan in the shape of hundreds of bombing runs with pilot-less drones. What is the legacy of Canada’s war in the region? What are the prospects for peace? What are the tasks of anti-war activists here in Canada?

This coffee house, organized by the International Solidarity Committee of the Greater Toronto Workers’ Assembly, will address these questions and other issues related to the wars in Central and South Asia and there will be plenty of time for discussion. Panel discussants include:
• MIKE SKINNER – Researcher, York Centre for International and Security Studies (YCISS), recently returned from his second trip to Afghanistan
• NOAMAN ALI – Organizer with BASICS Community News Service, PhD student at the University of Toronto, recently returned from Pakistan
• A representative from AFGHANS FOR PEACE

Organized by: International Solidarity Committee - Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly
Endorsed by: Toronto Coalition to Stop the War (TCSW), Coalition Against Israeli Apartheid, Ontario Public Interest Research Group (OPIRG) UofT

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Privatizing Public Education

Thur. Sept. 22, 2-4PM
Sidney Smith Building, Outdoor Patio
(Rain location: OISE Room 4418)
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Food Quality & Working Conditions in Campus CORPORATE Cafeterias
with Student-Worker Solidarity, a working group of the UofT General Assembly=
Thur. Sept. 22, 6-8pm
William Doo Auditorium, 45 Willcocks Ave.
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

COMMFEST – Community Film Festival

Sept. 22-25
Rainbow Cinema, 80 Front St. E. (just north of the St. Lawrence Market)
Films, forums, workshops
Full program: http://www.commffest.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Introduction to The Natural Step Canada (Webinar)

Thur. Sep 22 - 1:30pm - 2:30pm, Canada/Eastern timezone

A free, 1-hour webinar introducing The Natural Step Framework for Strategic Sustainable Development and our work. You’ll discover how this approach can help you accelerate the transformation to sustainability in your business, community, or organization.
http://www.thenaturalstep.org/en/canada/introduction-natural-step-webinar

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Crisis Averted: Parents To Open Affordable Daycare in Mayor Ford’s Office!!

Thur. 22 September · 9:30 - 11:00 am
Nathan Phillips Square (near the doors to city hall)

We’re confident Rob Ford isn’t going to turn his back on 20 000 kids waiting for daycare subsidies and won’t mind donating his office space for an interim daycare while he’s hard at work ensuring our children all have access to safe, affordable childcare spaces.

Parents! Kids! Supporters! Join us for snack and circle time with your toys and noisiest noise-makers

STOP THE CUTS ... Ford’s City government is looking to slash daycare funding at the end of September. We are facing potential cuts of 2000 desperately needed subsidies, privatization of city-run daycares, an end to quality control inspections, slashing of family programs and cuts to wage and rent subsidies for existing daycare facilities. Help us protect our children’s right to safe, affordable childcare

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=257926317572417

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Pre-Election Dialogue on Health & Social Issues

Thur. 22 September · 6:30 - 8:30 pm
St. Michael's Hospital, Paul Marshal Auditorium, 30 Bond Street (Queen St. entrance)

Interested in where the different political party representatives sit on health and social issues? We are too!
As we ramp up to the October election, join us for an evening of dialogue on health and social issues.
Register: http://creatingvibrantcommunities.ca/get-involved/toronto

Moderator: Carol Goar
Notes: Perfume free and accessible event
Refreshments served
Hosted by: RNAO, Region 6 & 7

PC – Elizabeth Witmer
Green – Mike Schreiner
NDP – TBC
Liberal – TBC

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

All Candidates Debate: Toronto Centre Provincial Election

Thur. 22 September · 7:00 - 9:00 pm
The 519 Church Street Community Centre

The 519 and Xtra! are proud to host an All Candidates Debate for the upcoming provincial election in Toronto Centre.

The All Candidates Meeting is your opportunity to:

• find out more about provincial issues that a
ffect you, your friends and your neighbours
• meet the candidates
• learn more about where candidates and their parties stand on your issues
• get the information you need to make an informed choice on voting day

Cathy Crowe (NDP), The Hon. Glen Murray (Liberal) and Mark Daye (Green) have confirmed their attendance.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sovereignty and Solidarity on Turtle Island:  Indigenous Rights 101
with Barriere Lake Solidarity=
Fri. Sept. 23, 12-2pm
OISE Room 2281, 252 Bloor St. W.
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Struggle for Genuine Women’s Liberation in Canada
with the Filipino Canadian Youth Alliance-Ontario
Fri. Sept. 23, 3-5pm
OISE Room 5170, 252 Bloor St. W.
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Taking Campus Space Seriously

Fri. Sept. 23, 6-8pm
Location TBA
with Students Against Israeli Apartheid, the Centre for Women and Trans People, UTSU President Danielle Sandhu, and others.
http://disorientation2011.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Water Life 109 minutes, 2009

Friday, September 23 – 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Room 2-212 at the St. George Subway Station. Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.
Please visit: www.socialistaction-canada.blogspot.com or call 416 – 535-8779.

Water's journey from streams entering Lake Superior to the mouth of the Saint Lawrence Seaway takes 350 years. The narration establishes the importance of the Great Lakes for the U.S. and Canada's fresh water. Then, for each of the Great Lakes, plus Lake St. Clair, the film focuses on specific environmental problems: lamprey eels in Lake Superior, heavy metals in Lake Michigan, zebra mussels in Lake Huron, petrochemical waste in Lake Erie, and toxic waste dumps near Lake Ontario all degrade human and animal health. The film argues that governments and industry turn a blind eye to needed clean up and regulation, putting plants, fish, birds, and humans at risk. Jim Deutsch, a leading member of U of T Science for Peace will lead off the discussion.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Land of Destiny - film screening and social

Fri. 23 September · 6:30 - 9:30 pm
Cinecycle, in the old coach house down the lane behind 129 Spadina Ave
$5-10, sliding scale, no one turned away
Join us also for the post-film q and a and then music and socializing. An OCAP event.

Land of Destiny... a documentary film directed by Brett Story - 80 minutes, 2010

A hard-working petrochemical town is rocked by revelations that its workers suffer an epidemic of cancers. But even more terrifying is the looming spectre of deindustrialization and joblessness.

Retired pipefitters serving fries, basement musicians, boilermakers and volunteer firemen, heartbroken widows and an optimistic mayor - the lives of a diverse medley of characters intersect to reveal the dramas and contradictions of an industrial town out of sync with a post-industrial economy. In the rich fabric of the cityʼs landscape - rows of boarded storefronts, the bright sprawl of petrochemical plants and the swollen rooms of hospital wards and crowded bars - one finds a microcosm of the 21st century. A portrait of a working-class city in paralysis and a meditation on work and place in the modern economy, Land of Destiny offers an intimate story about work, struggle, and survival.

Winner of the best Canadian documentary alongside Peter Mettler's Petropolis at this year's Canadian Environmental Awards.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Carbon Cycle – moving away from fossil fuels – a 75 km ride to Nanticoke
Sept 23-24

Take action on climate change. Oppose tar sands and coal. Join or support the 75 km cycle from Hamilton to the Nanticoke refinery of ExxonMobil, tar sands exploiter and the major financer of climate change deniers, and to the Ontario Power Generation coal-fired facility, the continent’s largest greenhouse gas source. Camp overnight and return to Hamilton for the:

Sat. September 24 rally - Global Day of Action on Climate Change
Gore Park 1-4 pm, Hamilton

For info or registration: contact at hamilton350.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Make Light Work: Tools for Inner Knowing, #4-6

Fri. September 23 - 9 am - noon
Centre for Social Innovation: 4th Floor, 215 Spadina Avenue

Each of us has an exquisite inner guidance system, available 24/7 and stunningly accurate for making decisions, dealing with relationship challenges, setting priorities and getting unstuck. Most of us have never read the instructions. Jumpstart your ability to access your inner knowing by learning practical “inner work” tools you can use on a daily basis, at home and at work.

Learn the powerful Groundwork practice and three inner work tools: Flirts, Framing and Multiple Options. Click here to register, or for more information.

A second workshop, on Saturday September 24, introduces tools #1-3: Automatic Writing, Setting Energy, and Guiding Image.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Looking Back, Moving Forward: War Resisters in North America

Friday September 23 and Saturday, September 24
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil Street (near Spadina and College)
$2 - $10 or PWYC

A gathering that will address issues of war and peace from the vantage point of those who are struggling against militarism in North America. This conference will feature veterans, war resisters, activists, academics, labour organizers, and lawyers.

Endorsed by:  Historians Against the War, War Resisters Support Campaign, OPIRG-Toronto, OPIRG-York, Canadian Peace Alliance, Afghans for Peace
The Canadian Auto Workers, United Steelworkers Toronto Area Council activehistory.ca, Toronto Coalition to Stop the War, No One IS Illegal – Toronto
Christian Peacemaker Teams – Canada, WPIRG

Please visit http://warresistersconfere​nce.activehistory.ca/ for all the details. Facebook event

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Moving Planet Green Energy Field Day

Saturday, September 24, 12 – 6 p.m.
Queen's Park

A day to move beyond fossil fuels and to celebrate sustainable energy.  Join local environmental organizations, clubs, associations, citizens and student groups in celebration and promotion of sustainability.
In partnership with 350.org
More information.
Facebook event listing

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take a Ride, Change a Mind.....350.org
Saturday, September 24 · noon - 2 pm
College St W to Queen's Park
WE WILL MOVE TOWARD CLEAN AIR, CLEAN ENERGY AND A BRIGHTER, CLEANER TOMORROW.

30+ Organizations will assemble at Queen's Park to participate in the mind shift that will benefit humankind and bring many to a higher awareness and a greater understanding of the power each of us holds. A meeting of the minds, hearts, spirits and voices to say NO to fossil fuels and with hope bring the transition that will change our course from devastation to prosperity!

Tons of FREE INFO, LIVE ENTERTAINMENT, GUEST SPEAKERS and ENLIGHTENED CONVERSATIONS ON THE ISSUES THAT REALLY MATTER!!

Kicking it all off with an ALL WHEELS RIDE(!!!!!) along College St W.  Starting at QUEEN'S PARK and heading West along the safety of bikes lanes---to Dufferin and doubling back to make it just in time for the FESTIVITIES!  FREE BIKE TUNE UPS AND SHIRT PAINTING ARE IN THE WORKS!!

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=208330165869119

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Swimming With Sharks - Bike Ride to Rob Ford's House

Saturday, September 24 · 2:00pm - 5:00pm
From Queen's Park in Toronto to Edenbridge Drive in Etobicoke

Watch this video of the Mayor of Toronto, Rob Ford.   http://youtu.be/nySs1cEq5r​s

Classy eh? So I think we should send some cyclists his way. We're gonna meet up at the statue at the north end of of Queen's Park then take a ride to Ford's neighbourhood in Etobicoke. We can do laps of his block, if we've got critical mass we can kinda take it over. We're gonna dress up like sharks or make shark fins to attach to our helmets. We're gonna blast the theme from "Jaws" over loudspeakers. What a beautiful way to spend the first Saturday of the fall.

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=201104326610816

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Permaculture Design Workshop Series (Intermediate, Part 1)

Saturdays Sept 24th, Oct 15th and Nov 5th, 12-4 pm; High Park Childrens Garden
$150-$200 sliding scale (incl take home resources).
Pre-registration required. See pre-requisites.

Through this series, the group will practice permaculture techniques for (re)designing a site. We will apply permaculture principles, explore design elements, interview a client, and analyze the site using a wide variety of
techniques. We will present our recommended site design and implementation plan to the client and make a final revision. Includes group work and some homework. Learn skills you can apply to your own site or in a community, public or rented
context.

In Part 2 (spring series) we implement phase one of the approved elements of the design. Other spring projects may include creative documentation of the process and other spin-off projects. Proposed dates for spring session: Saturdays Feb
25, Mar 24, April 28, May 26.

Optional: 11-11:45 Mindful Gardening Practice (Silent). Connect with the garden and ground yourself before the workshop.

Pre-registration for both events: http://www.gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take Back the Night 2011
The Liberation WE Choose!

Sat. 24 September · 4:00 - 10:00 pm
The Anne Johnston Health Station, 2398 Yonge St. (at Eglinton)

Community Fair 4-6pm
Rally 6-8pm
March 8-9:30pm

As usual, we want to highlight every survivor's experience of survivorship from the personal to political impacts in our every day lives. This year, we especially want to highlight the continuing struggles for justice for survivors of violence in the legal system. We haven’t succeeded until no woman or trans person experiences violence or the fear of it.

We welcome ALL woman-identified and trans identified community members/community organizations to come and share their wisdom in creating a fun, activist Take Back the Night this year. We invite all survivors to come and share our perspectives on how to make this event about us!

If you are interested in booking a table at the COMMUNITY FAIR, please call deb singh at 416 597 1171 x230

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Milne Hollow Fall Planting Day 2

Saturday, September 24, 11:00a.m. - 1:00p.m.
Registration recommended
Picnic benches by the parking lot accessed from the South side Lawrence Ave. East (just east of the Don Valley Parkway off ramp)
Old Lawrence Ave.
Green this historic space in Toronto's backyard!  Join LEAF and Parks, Forestry and Recreation, City of Toronto on this second day of planting trees and shrubs at Milne Hollow this fall.  Additional vegetation helps rehabilitate this crucial to storm water management site and improves water quality by reducing the speed and quantity of water that flows during storm events.   You’ll help to rehabilitate a site crucial to storm water management in the East Don Watershed.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shifting the frame
With Ulli Diemer of Connexions

Saturday September 24, 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham Street (Bathurst and Bloor)
Cost: $15

How can progressives become more effective in presenting and communicating our message?
How can we counter the power of the right in setting the terms in which issues are framed?

Please register at http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/11-09-24/Shifting_the_Frame.aspx
For more info: Phone: 647-726-9500  info at beitzatoun.org   www.beitzatoun.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

 Toronto Garlic Festival

Sun Sept 25 (9am-4pm)
Evergreen Brickworks
The First Annual Toronto Garlic Festival showcases Ontario garlic farmers with a wide variety of different types of rare and heirloom garlics with international roots and inspiration.  Taste dishes inspired by Thai, French, Italian, Mexican, and many more types of cuisine, watch cooking demos, learn about garlic's health benefits, and leave with heirloom varieties of garlic to plant in your own garden.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Science for Peace Birthday Dinner

Sunday Sept. 25, 6:30 PM
Hot House Café - 35 Church Street (Corner of Front St. )

Science for Peace is 30 Years Old This Year - Local well-wishers will have dinner together (and maybe strategize our next thirty years).  Reminiscences and Aspirations by Former Presidents

$35 per guest, cash bar. Prepaid tickets only.  How? E-mail us at:  rsvp.sfp.anniversary at gmail.com  And specify a phone number where we can contact you to take your credit card information.  Purchase your tickets by Sept. 22, then pick them up on Sept. 25 in the restaurant.

Chandler Davis davis at math.toronto.edu
Metta Spencer mspencer at web.net (416) 789 2294
Office sfp at physics.utoronto.ca (416) 978-3606

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

For anyone interested in Mad People’s History - The Friendly Spike Theatre Band proudly presents:

The Walls Are Alive With The Sounds Of Mad People

Sun. 25 September · 1:00 - 2:15 pm
SW Corner of Queen and Shaw St.'s
Free

A theatrical historical tour of the patient built wall standing on the grounds of CAMH.  On the first anniversary of the unveiling of nine historic wall plaques to commemorate Toronto Asylum patient labourers, please join us as we commemorate their past contributions and celebrate their continuing relevance today.

The Friendly Spike Theatre Band gratefully acknowledges the support of The Toronto Arts Council and The Friendly Spike Theatre Angels

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ottawa Sit-In and Civil Disobedience to Stop the Tar Sands

Sun. Sept. 25 - training in Ottawa, 1 p.m. - 8 p.m.
Mon. Sept. 26 - action

Come to Ottawa to participate in one of the largest acts of civil disobedience on the climate issue that Canada has ever seen. Be part of turning Canada away from the toxic tar sands industry.

Email ottawaaction at gmail.com or go to www.ottawaaction.ca to sign-up. It promises to be a powerful day.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally for Toronto - Stop the Cuts!

Monday, September 26
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West
5:30pm: Rally for Toronto: Save City Services, Defend Good Jobs!
7:30pm: Takeover Nathan Phillips Square!
... *Camp-out against the cuts – bring your tent and sleeping bag, bring food, and bring supplies to share if you can!

Residents from across the city are rallying for Toronto. Our message to City Hall is: build Toronto, don’t destroy it. Together, we can stop the cuts, closures, privatization and user fees that will have an impact on every neighbourhood in Toronto.

What’s at stake?
- Services and programs that serve every resident and community, such as libraries, child care and recreation centres
- Good jobs that strengthen our communities
- TTC connecting all our neighbourhoods
- Environmental leadership for the future of our city
- Keeping public control of public services
- Safeguarding vital public assets such as housing and Toronto Hydro

Why September 26? On September 26, City Council will meet to discuss the Core Service Review and the 2012 budget.
Hundreds of Torontonians will gather in Council Chambers that day as major decisions are made at City Hall. These decisions
will affect our entire city and its future.

Isn’t the city broke? How can we afford to keep everything? We are the only municipality in the GTA that froze property
taxes in 2011. Other municipalities also get funding from provincial and federal governments to off set costs of their services.
Our Mayor has said that he will not lobby the other levels of government for new funding. Meanwhile, an exaggerated deficit
financial figure -- $774 million -- is being used to justify drastic cost-cutting and privatization. The real agenda is to shrink city
services. Many of these services are revenue generators and the financial benefits have not been properly considered in the city’s
budget.

I’m coming to the rally. What else can I do to support? You can call or email your Councillor and ask them to support public
services and good jobs in Toronto. Call 311 to get in touch with your Councillor. Encourage your friends and neighbours in
Toronto to also contact their Councillor.

Email RallyforToronto at gmail.com to connect with local initiatives in your area.
Facebook event listing
www.torontostopthecuts.com
www.facebook.com/stopthecuts
tostopthecuts at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Regent Park Film Festival, Toronto’s only FREE, multi-cultural, community based film festival, is looking for Volunteers!

It’s taking place from Nov 2 - 5.  To find out more about volunteering and to sign up, visit www.regentparkfilmfestival.com, and click on “Volunteer Registration Form”

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in