No Nukes News: After Fukushima, does nuclear power have a future?

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Oct 13 15:39:43 EDT 2011

No Nukes News

Oct. 13, 2011

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/energy_efficiency> An Energy Efficiency
Strategy for Ontario's Homes, Buildings and Industries - By investing in
energy efficiency we can reduce our energy bills, raise our GDP, create
jobs, reduce the federal and provincial deficits and lower our greenhouse
gas emissions.

 <http://bit.ly/nWrFRx> Liberals re-elected in Ontario: Green Energy Act and
feed-in-tariff program live on - Good analysis of the election relative to
energy.

 <http://bit.ly/ohyX2I> 'It's insane': Feds invest heavily in AECL even as
they sell off reactor division - The federal Conservative government tossed
more than $183 million into Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd. in the first three
months of the fiscal year - nearly double the total annual budget - even as
it was selling off the nuclear reactor division for just $15 million, plus
royalties.

 <http://bit.ly/pTE31H> Ont. nuclear reactor can run until 2016 with no
safety problems, licensing hearing told - The federal operating permit for
the sprawling Chalk River nuclear complex two hours northwest of Ottawa,
including the 53-year-old National Research Universal (NRU) medical isotope
reactor, expires Oct. 31. Against the backdrop of Japan's Fukushima reactor
disaster, the Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission (CNSC) is deliberating
whether to grant a five-year extension, requested by the newly restructured
Atomic Energy of Canada Ltd., which owns and operates the
37-square-kilometre site of the oldest nuclear reactor in the world.

<http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/11/business/energy-environment/after-fukushi
ma-does-nuclear-power-have-a-future.html?pagewanted=1&_r=2> After Fukushima,
Does Nuclear Power Have a Future? - Venezuela and Israel, both countries
that had harbored nuclear power ambitions, decided they could do without
after all. "I think we'll go for the gas," Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu
told CNN. "I think we'll skip the nuclear."

 <http://www.economist.com/node/21531522> Radiation in Japan - Hot spots and
blind spots - The mounting human costs of Japan's nuclear disaster - Iitate
had the misfortune to be caught by a wind that carried radioactive particles
(including plutonium) much farther than anybody initially expected after the
nuclear disaster. Almost all the 6,000 residents have been evacuated, albeit
belatedly, because it took the government months to decide that some
villages outside a 30km radius of the plant warranted special attention. Now
it offers an extreme example of how difficult it will be to recover from the
disaster.

 <http://www.nuclearfreeplanet.org/knocking-on-the-devils-door-1-8.html>
Knocking on Devil's Door - In this film documentary, an extraordinary cast
of scholars, scientists, physicians, activists, and global ethicists reveal
nuclear energy as a gross violation of human rights, and an industry
corrupted by money, greed and deception. Watch it online here
<http://www.nuclearfreeplanet.org/knocking-on-the-devils-door-1-8.html> .

 <http://bit.ly/nMALeU> Over 7,000 people observe fast against nuclear
project in India

<http://www.linktv.org/video/6944/earth-focus-nuclear-power-risks-and-conseq
uences> Earth Focus: Nuclear Power - Risks and Consequences 41 min. video
documentary

This investigative report looks at the untold stories behind 3 of the
world's largest nuclear disasters: Three Mile Island, Chernobyl and
Fukushima.

 <http://brainz.org/ten-most-radioactive-places-earth/> 10 Most Radioactive
Places on Earth

 <http://planetinfocus.org/festival-films/future-of-hope/> Future of Hope -
Thur. Oct. 13, 5:15 p.m., Royal Ontario Museum (Avenue Road and Bloor),
Toronto

 <http://planetinfocus.org/festival-films/on-coal-river/> On Coal River -
Thur. Oct. 13, 9:30 p.m. Al Green Theatre (Bloor and Spadina), Toronto

Coal strip-mining operations have long defined the economy and prosperity of
the communities surrounding Coal River Valley, West Virginia; now it
threatens their long-term health and vitality.

 <http://planetinfocus.org/festival-films/powerful-energy-for-everyone/>
Powerful - Energy for Everyone and From Chernobyl to Fukuhima: A
Campaigner's Journey and
<http://planetinfocus.org/festival-films/leonidos-story-leonids-geschichte/>
Leonids Story - Saturday October 15, 2:45 p.m., Al Green Theatre (Bloor and
Spadina), Toronto

 <http://vowpeace.org/cms/Events.aspx> Civil Society Working for Nuclear
Abolition - Thur. Oct. 20, 4-6 pm, University College, Rm. 179, U of Toronto

 <http://www.peaceworkstmm.org/> Communication in Action - a PeaceWorks
course - practical skills for effective social change

6 evening course stating Oct. 24th, downtown Toronto

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Tel: 416 260-2080 x 1