T.O. Greenspiration Events: Occupy Toronto! 3 weeks of events

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Oct 16 13:19:41 EDT 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Hey Toronto Friends, I'll be away from my computer for the next 2 weeks, so below find the next 3 weeks of greenspirational events.

If you haven't been by the Occupy Toronto park yet (Adelaide and Church), GO! It's inspiring, radical, and positive.

Pass this onto a friend... -angela
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Occupy This Room!

Room available in an Artist's Loft Bldg on Ossington and Dupont. Available Nov. 1 - $625 + share internet
Presently being freshened up and painted. Furnished or unfurnished.
Shared space with 2 other females. Laundry on site. Large open well stocked kitchen and dining area. Lots of light. 4th floor walk up.
Free bike and car parking. Total space 1500 sq. ft. No pets.
For more info contact: Petra <pei.czech at gmail.com> 647 342 1964
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Anti-Poverty and Good Jobs for All Rally

Mon. Oct. 17, 12:15pm – 1:30pm
Gould Street,  Ryerson

Drumming Circle. Student and Worker Speakers (Justice for Cleaners Campaign, Wage Theft Campaign WAC)
**Guest speaker Brigette DePape

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=241682279216281
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Stephen Lewis on Re-imagining Social Justice: from Global to Local

Monday, October 17 · 6:30pm - 9:00pm
Ryerson University, TRS 1067 (55 Dundas St. West), Toronto, ON.
October 17th is the International Day for the Eradication of Poverty. Yet, are we winning the fight against poverty? How can we re-imagine social justice globally and be inspired to organize locally to end poverty and reduce growing inequalities?

Three students will act as respondents to bring their realities into this critical discussion.
All Welcome! All events are FREE and wheelchair accessible.  For Accessibility inquiries please email tsf at ryerson.ca

For more information:  Email: tsf at ryerson.ca   Web: ryerson.ca/socialjustice   Twitter: @RyeGindinChair
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=171617002919773
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Mamalicious! Fun to Make, Safe Recipes for Mother and Baby Workshop

Monday, October 17, 6:30pm to 8:30pm
Anarres Natural Health, 792A Dovercourt Road just north of Bloor
For more info: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1005

This hands-on workshop will have you learning how to care for baby's skin, how to use essential oils and botanicals safely during the childbearing year and for babies, plus creating nourishing concoctions with natural ingredients that are safe and effective for mother and baby.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bonsai People - The Vision of Muhammad Yunus
With Director Q&A, light refreshments and a raffle for great prizes.

Mon. Oct. 17, 6:45 - 9 p.m.
Innis College Town Hall Theatre, U of T (near St. George and Harbord)
Tickets $15, $10 for students and seniours

Bonsai People is a feature length documentary film that explores the work of Nobel Peace Prize winner Muhammad Yunus to develop microcredit, one of the world's most influential and effective tools for poverty reduction.  Please join us to learn more about the empowering practice of microcredit and help support RESULTS Canada to advocate on behalf of the world's poorest.

For more info and to buy tickets:  http://bonsaipeople.eventbrite.com/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Intergenerational Dialogue on Race, Gender And Class

Tuesday, October 18 · 6:30pm - 9:00pm
Thomas Lounge Ryerson University, 55 Gould Street
Join us in an interactive and participatory discussion on the impact of race, gender and class on the key moments of feminist organizing.
Explore the potential and challenges of feminist movement building in the context of a neoliberal global agenda.

- Guest Speakers include:
*Judy Rebick (Former president of the National Action Committee on the Status of Women)
*Akua Benjamin (Founding member, Ontario Coalition of Visible Minority Women)
*Joanne Dallaire (Elder, Aboriginal Student Services)
*Farrah Miranda (No One Is Illegal, Toronto)

Co-sponsored with the Ryerson Students' Union's Women's Centre
For more information: Email: tsf at ryerson.ca  Web: ryerson.ca/socialjustice  Twitter: @RyeGindinChair
https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=223195634400308

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Writing the Revolution - This Is Not A Reading Series event!

Tues. October 18, doors 7 p.m., starts 7:30 p.m.
Trinity St. Paul's Church - 427 Bloor St. West, Toronto
This Is Not a Reading Series and Second Story Press present an evening with feminist icon Michele Landsberg to celebrate the launch of Writing the Revolution - Michele Landsberg's reflections on her columns for the Toronto Star. The evening will feature introductions by Naomi Klein, Angela Robertson, Kristyn Wong-Tam and Leah Henderson and an interview with Avi Lewis. Landsberg will discuss the last thirty-five years of the Canadian women's movement, assess where we are today, and where the passionate new generation of feminists are headed.
Admission is $5, free with purchase of a book. FInd out more about the book here
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Thrown Under the Omnibus:  What you need to know about the Safe Streets and Communities Act

Tues. October 18th, 7 – 9 pm
Church of the Redeemer, 162 Bloor Street West (Avenue and Bloor)

Experts from the fields of law, harm reduction, prison, women, youth and victims’ rights will convene to discuss Bill C-10, the federal government’s Safe Streets and Communities Act, and its impact on Canadian families, communities and our economy.  The CBC’s Maureen Brosnahan will moderate this lively, interactive panel.

The sweeping omnibus crime bill is part of the federal government’s so-called “war on crime” — combining nine bills that died on the Order Paper in our last Parliament.  But Opposition critics say the bill goes overboard, with significant consequences for our wallets and the health of our communities, without any evidence that it will prevent crime.  Come hear what the experts have to say: what does Bill C-10 mean for you?

The event is hosted by the Canadian HIV/AIDS Legal Network, Canadian Harm Reduction Network, Toronto Harm Reduction Task Force, Prisoners with HIV/AIDS Support Action Network (PASAN), Community Justice Coalition (Human Rights) and others, with the support of the Canadian Drug Policy Coalition.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

We can improve Toronto policing! A public forum

Tues. 18 October · 7:00 - 9:30 pm
Innis College at the University of Toronto, 2 Sussex Ave.

We can improve Toronto policing! A public forum about 8 ideas for change.

Guest speaker: Scott Wortley, Centre for Criminology, University of Toronto

The Toronto Police Accountability Coalition invites you to a follow up to our June 20 forum, where many ideas for change in Toronto police were discussed by the 100+ in attendance. From that session we have chosen eight ideas to discuss in depth. Join us to pinpointing the changes needed and why they are needed; thinking about the roadblocks to change and how they will be overcome; outlining the support required for change and how it will be secured; planning the approach to the appropriate decision-makers to agree to the changes; and all other questions about how to put good ideas into reality. You can make a difference, and together we can make change. Work with others in breakout groups on one of the four topics:

Police Culture  - Bias-free policing  - Youth - Police Spending
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Local Air Quality Study Results  South Riverdale, Leslieville and Beaches - Public Meeting
Tues October 18th , 6:30 p.m.
Toronto Fire Academy on Eastern Ave (south side, just east of Leslie)

Is our air quality causing health problems? Where does the majority of pollution in South Riverdale Beaches (or Toronto) come from? The answer is closer than you might think. Which pollutants are the baddies?  Is dust harmful? How are decisions about transportation and planning affecting air and our health? What can be done???  These questions and more will be addressed at an upcoming informative, leading-edge presentation of a study unfolding in our backyard.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Kyoto is Dead – Now What?

Wed. Oct. 19, 7 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, Cttee Room #2; Second Floor, 100 Queen Street West (Queen and Bay)
Kyoto is dead, the aspirational 'goals' of Copenhagen the final of the very many straws that were heaped on its not too sturdy back. So, now what?  Well on this night at least we are lucky to have two people very well versed in answers to this pressing question.

Dr. Danny Harvey, climate scientist, IPCC lead author, author of the 'Handbook on low-energy buildings & District heating systems', will talk about the most recent discoveries in his field.  He will also talk about Canada's most important climate change question: Whither the tarsands?

Adriana Mugnatto-Hamu, Green Party of Canada climate change critic, PCT board member, and candidate for Toronto-Danforth.  She will talk about the political climate here in Canada, what's she's learned about the international scene from her attendance at the COPs, and what the roadmap to where we'd rather be might look like.

RSVP here: http://www.meetup.com/PostCarbonTorontoMeetup/events/36909002/?a=ea1.2_lnm&rv=ea1.2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebrate World Food Day -  Convivium and Conversation

Wed. Oct. 19, 2:30-4:30pm
Regis College, 100 Wellsely St. (at Queens Park Circle)

Join us for an afternoon of giving thanks for food and giving mind to structures of hunger and harm in modern agri-business.  Activists and farmers will animate conversations around the relations between food and community, peace and faith.  Food supplied; bring your own ideas.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Day of Learning from the Resistance of Indigenous Peoples
Wednesday, October 19 · 10 am - 9 pm
noon - 'Lunch and Learn on Environmental Justice' withGuest Speaker: Clayton Thomas-Muller (Anti-Tar Sand Coalition)
Ryerson University,Credit Union Lounge (350 Victoria Street)

7 p.m. 'Learning from the Resistance of Indigenous Peoples' with
John Cutfeet, Cyndy Baskin, Joanne Dallaire

Free. For more information: Email: tsf at ryerson.ca  Web: ryerson.ca/socialjustice  Twitter: @RyeGindinChair. https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=284506731562082
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Students Against Racism (Ryerson) present:

Myth of Multiculturalism: A Hoax

Wed. October 19, 1:30-3:00pm
Room G, Ryerson University Student Campus Centre, 55 Gould Street
RSVP here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=205849436150298
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Civil Society Working for Nuclear Abolition

With Barbara, Birkett, MD. Physicians for Global Survival
Thur. Oct. 20, 4-6 pm
University College, Rm. 179, U of T.
All  welcome. No charge

Co-Sponsored  by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
How can we grow? Food Hubs - from Concept to Practice

Special  panel session at the Toronto Food Policy Council's conference "Together at the Table: The Foundations and Future of Food in Toronto"

Thursday October 20, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00, panel session begins at 1:45 p.m.
St. Lawrence Hall, 157 King Street East at Jarvis.
*Registration for this event is mandatory. Please visit www.foodpolicy.eventbrite.com to register.

Urban agriculture has a central role to play in emerging neighbourhood food hubs. Learn about exciting initiatives in London UK, Buffalo and Vancouver and how they might be applied to Toronto and other Ontario cities.

Speakers

Janine de la Salle, HB Lanarc, Vancouver
Ayal Dinner, West End Food Co-operative, Toronto
Utcha Sawyers, FoodShare, Toronto
Randy Whittaker, Ontario Natural Food Co-op, Mississauga
Gavin Dandy, Everdale Environmental Learning Centre, Hillsburgh ON
Organized by LiveGreen  http://www.toronto.ca/livegreen/getinvolved_speakers_growto.htm
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Phil Ochs: There But for Fortune – films, music, discussion

Thur. Oct. 20
- 6:30 - 7:15pm - Two Men From Earth with Special Guests Paul Armstrong, Barry Cull and Lexy Smith-Doughty
- 7:20pm - Featured Short: ‘Bruce Cockburn - Striking a Green Chord’
- 7:25 - 7:35pm - Intermission
- 7:35 - 9:15pm - Feature Film: 'Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune'
- 9:15 - 9:45pm - Group Discussion led by Howard Doughty
at Rainbow Cinema Market Square (North of St. Lawrence Market on Front St.)

Phil Ochs: There But For Fortune reveals the biography of a conflicted truth seeking troubadour who, with a guitar in hand, stood up for what he believed in and challenged us all to do the same. Unyielding in his political principals and unbending in his artistic vision, Phil Ochs, though branded a traitor by his critics, was above all a fiercely patriotic American. This is his story.

For more information please visit http://www.mintff.org
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The Myths of “Ending Demand” for Prostitution
Thursday, Oct. 20, 4:30-6:00pm
Moot Court Room, Flavelle House, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law, 78 Queen’s Park
Conservative MP Joy Smith’s public campaign to criminalize the purchase of sexual services reflects a troubling global campaign to “end demand” for prostitution.  “End demand” campaigns are premised on an absolutist view of prostitution as exploitation, wherein all sex workers are cast as victims, and all clients as perpetrators.  This panel will address the harmful consequences of “end demand” strategies, with a view to advancing alternative social and legal policies that can make a difference for socially marginalized workers in and beyond the sex industry.

An interdisciplinary panel discussion with:
Susan Davis - Current sex worker of 25 years; Development coordinator, West Coast cooperative of Sex Industry Professionals, Vancouver
Kara Gillies - Representative, Maggie’s: Toronto Sex Workers Action Project
Ummni Khan - Assistant Professor, Department of Law, Carleton University
Emilie Laliberte - Director-General, Chez Stella, l’aime de Maimie, Montréal
Emily van der Meulen - Assistant Professor, Dept. of Criminal Justice& Criminology, Ryerson University

Moderated by Lisa Kelly, S.J.D. Candidate, Harvard Law School
Introduction by Rebecca Cook, University of Toronto, Faculty of Law

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Milk War - film documentary chronicling ON dairy farmer, Michael Schmidt's battle for raw milk.

Thur. Oct. 20, 7:30 p.m.
The Theatre Centre, 1087 Queen St. W. (at Dovercourt)
Special Guests in attendance for a panel discussion following the film:

Michael Schmidt, Director Kevin O'Keefe, Associate Producer Richard Paradiso

Also, checkout the Milk War facebook page or the this event's October 20th screening facebook page.

This fundraiser presented by the West End Food Co-op in partnership with The Theatre Centre. http://westendfood.coop/milkwar
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Together at the Table: The foundation and future of food in Toronto
Thursday, October 20, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm - Panel sessions, small group discussion and delicious food!
St. Lawrence Hall, 157 King Street East
6:00 - 9:00 pm - William Doo Auditorium, 45 Willcocks Street (U of T)
Reception and Keynote speaker Carolyn Steel, author of Hungry City: How Food Shapes our Lives

A suggested donation to cover the cost of food ($5.00 - $40.00) will be collected on the day of the event.
Register for either one or both of the events at http://foodpolicy.eventbrite.com/
Info:  Leslie Toy at ltoy at toronto.ca or 416-338-7934

Food shapes our everyday lives, neighbourhoods, and the countryside that feeds us.  This conference will bring together food advocates, community groups, City staff, City Councillors, concerned Torontonians and food systems experts to reflect on the past and imagine the next 20 years of food in our city-region.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The People’s Court - People vs. Harper

A network of  concerned citizens will convene a popular tribunal to try politicians and their friends, i.e., tax-evading and profit-piling millionaires and big corporations.

Thurs. Oct 20, 5:30 to 8 pm
Room A/B, Oakham House, Student Centre, 55 Gould St., Ryerson

CHARGED:  Stephen Harper, corporate CEOs, global corporations, and other anti-people politicians at all levels of government!

CHARGE SHEET includes crimes against the people through acts, policies, and systems that:
-          undermine democratic rights of citizens
-          deny aboriginal sovereignty, land rights and treaty rights
-          destroy workers rights
-          criminalize migrants and refugees
-          attack the poor, people with disabilities, and the homeless
-          make war on innocent civilians in other countries
-          kill planet earth and various life forms

EVIDENCE will be presented in the form of statistics, photos, personal stories, victim-impact declarations, & other documentary evidence, related to:
-          legislation to create super jails that will target poor and racialized groups
-          increased militarization and police brutality during the G8 Summit in Toronto
-          threats of back-to-work legislation, undermining collective bargaining
-          increased poverty through destruction of Canada’s economic base
-          higher rate of poverty, unemployment, and incarceration among racialized people
-          promoting hate against people of the Muslim faith or Arabic origin
-          privatization, tax exemptions, and subsidies for millionaires and global corporations
-          supporting wars of aggression and occupation overseas
-          destroying social safety net, selling off public assets and privatizing the public sector
-          surrendering Canada’s political, economic, social and cultural sovereignty to mining, banking, financial, and industrial transnational corporations
-          and many more violations of people’s economic, social and cultural rights at the local, provincial, national, and international levels!

This is an educational and organizing event co-sponsored by: Our Times magazine and the Gindin Chair for Social Justice and Democracy, Ryerson University as part of The 30th Anniversary Celebration of Our Times

Co-organized by: Asian Canadian Labour Alliance, Coalition of Black Trade Unionists, Latin American Trade Union Coalition; Justice for Migrant Workers (Toronto); And Workers of Colour Committee/Ontario Federation of Labour

Cultural Performance by: “New Tradition”, an indigenous Columbian cultural group and PATAC (Philippine Advocacy Through the Arts and Culture)
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Conservation Conversation

Thursday October 20, 6:00 – 7:30 pm
The Green Room (upstairs), 296 Brunswick Ave.

No money, mo’ problems? How will the global economy instability affect species at risk?  The current and future economic climate forecast is bleak globally.  How will this affect species conservation locally and globally? Is there incentive to become more efficient?  Will the ability to make money through exploitation take more of precedence than the species being exploited?  At what point does it become economically stimulating to conserve species? This event is part of the Toronto Chapter of the Society for Conservation Biology series Conservation Conversation. The purpose of these monthly discussions is to get people together in an informal setting (Pub!) to discuss topical and sometimes controversial conservation issues. Everyone welcome!
http://scbtoronto.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Civil Society Working for Nuclear Abolition
With Barbara, Birkett, MD. Physicians for Global Survival

Thur. Oct. 20, 4-6 pm
University College, Rm. 179, U of Toronto.
All  welcome. No charge
http://vowpeace.org/cms/Events/View/11-10-20/U_of_T_-_Civil_Society_Working_for_Nuclear_Abolition.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
WIEBO’S WAR
Starting October 21 - Filmmaker in attendance, Q&A on October 21
at the THE ROYAL, 608 College St.
Wiebo’s War tells the story of a community at war with the oil and gas industry and asks:  How far would you go to defend what you value the most?

Watch the trailer: nfb.ca/wieboswar
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
All about Organic
Friday, October 21, 3 - 6 pm
Natural Food Depot, 2075 Lawrence Ave. East, Scarborough
Free
Join COG (Canadian Organic Growers) Toronto as we provide information and answer questions about organic food and farming.
Check www.cogtoronto.org for details
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Ultra Zionists
2009, 58 minutes. A film by Louis Theroux about the occupation of the West Bank, the settlers, and the agenda they serve.
Friday, October 21 - 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Room 2-212
at the St. George Subway Station. Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.

Please visit: www.socialistaction-canada.blogspot.com or call 416 – 535-8779.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally for Abortion Rights – Don't lose the right to choose!

Saturday October 22, 1 pm
North-east corner of College St. & University Ave.

Anti-choice organizations in Ontario are mobilizing to attempt to pressure the provincial government to defund abortion in this province.
Join this counter-rally to defend reproductive rights!

Organized by the Ontario Coalition for Abortion Clinics and the Abortion Rights Coalition of Canada
www.ocac-choice.com
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Toxic Trespass - Screening & Discussion
with Producer Dorothy Goldin Rosenberg

Sunday October 23, 1 - 3 pm
Lower Social Room, Noor Cultural Centre
Free

In award-winning documentary Toxic Trespass, filmmaker Barri Cohen launches an investigation into the effects of the chemicals surrounding us. She starts with her 10-year-old daughter, whose blood carries carcinogens like benzene and the long-banned DDT. Then, Cohen heads out to Windsor and Sarnia: Canadian toxic hotspots where everyone seems to know children who have suffered respiratory illnesses, leukemia, brain tumours and other diseases. Perhaps most appalling among her discoveries are the roadblocks she encounters when she tries to get information from federal officials. This moving documentary is essential viewing for anyone concerned about the effects of pollutants on our - and our children’s - very DNA.

For more info and directions: http://www.noorculturalcentre.ca/?p=3181
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Fall Cabbagetown Tree Tour

Sunday, October 23 - 11:00a.m. - 12:30p.m.
$5 donation - free to DVCRA members
Registration recommended
Meet at the North East Corner of Carlton St. at Parliament St.
Join LEAF (Local Enhancement & Appreciation of Forests) and the Don Vale Cabbagetown Residents Association for a tour of one of Toronto’s most scenic and historic neighbourhoods. We’ll learn about the gentle giants that make this area so unique, and the stresses these trees will face in the coming years.  Amanda Gomm (LEAF) will share simple tree identification tips, point out specific species of interest and provide tree care tips. She’ll also highlight the role of the emerald ash borer will play in reducing Toronto’s tree canopy by an estimated 8.4%. A representative of the Cabbagetown Canopy Committee will be on hand to answer any questions about how to become involved in tree issues locally.

http://yourleaf.org/event/2011-10-23/fall-cabbagetown-tree-tour

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tony Bird
Sunday, October 23, Door: 7:00 p.m. Starts: 7:30 p.m.
The TRANZAC, 292 Brunswick Ave.
Tickets: $20.00 / $18.00 Flying Cloud and TRANZAC members

With a mesmerizing intensity, a unique voice, vision, guitar style and persona, Malawi born songman Tony Bird is a complete original. Growing up in southern Africa in the era of colonialism and Apartheid, Bird developed a sharp, conscious universal eye. His expansive repertoire ranges from topical and historical commentary to love songs, musical tone poems and exotic travelogues and stories that roam from bushmen to bicycles. Tony Bird has been called “The Father of African Folk-Rock,” yet he is even more. He’s an inventive, passionate, theatrical performer who delivers the moving, searching anthems of a mature poet. “The finest, most impressive folk poet in years” - The Village Voice .

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
PeaceWorks Course: Communication in Action

PeaceWorks offers a certificate course in Active Peacebuilding.   The first series is Communication in Action, and starts:
Mon. October 24th, 6:30 to 9:30 pm
at the Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.  (1 block north of St. George subway station, Bedford exit).

The fee is $150 and a $25 deposit will hold your spot.  There are some sliding scale spaces, please inquire.

The series will cover: listening skills,  raising a concern,  team building,  introduction to mediation and basic facilitation skills. The winter series starting January 23rd will cover Nonviolent Social Transformation – successful case studies in social change.  The spring series on activist skills starts March 19th.  You can register for one series, or for all three.  To register, send a $25 cheque made out to Toronto Monthly Meeting and send to 60 Lowther Ave, Toronto, M5R 1C7, with PeaceWorks training in the memo line, or register on-line.

Trainer:  Lyn Adamson is a mediator and trainer in communication and conflict resolution, with twenty-five years of experience.  Lyn is a Quaker, Co-Chair of Canadian Voice of Women for Peace, and an experienced activist and nonviolence trainer.
For more information contact Lyn Adamson – 416-731-6605, peaceworks at primus.ca, or go to www.peaceworkstmm.org.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Students Against Racism (Ryerson) present:
FILM TALK: Dangerous Minds

Mon. October 24, 6pm
Room G, Ryerson University Student Campus Centre, 55 Gould Street
RSVP here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=250575788326622
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Building Resilience Workshop Series
Tuesday, October 25, 5:30 - 7:30 pm
Carrot Green Roof, 348 Danforth Ave.
Cost:  $20-30 on a sliding scale
Register:  Zora at artdecos at rogers.com or 416-463-9031

Join Carrot Green Roof's Zora Ignjatovic and Courtney Raponi as they lead you through a wide range of wild local, neighbourhood plants while demonstrating how they can be useful in improving food security and one's healthy diet.  These bi-weekly sessions will teach us about identifying and using common "weeds" for our benefit, methods of preparation, medicinal uses, recipes, ethical wild harvesting practices, and much more.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
TTCriders Public Meeting

Tues. October 25th, 7 p.m.
Council Chamber in the North York Civic Centre, 5100 Yonge Street (North York Centre Station)

Join TTCriders to discuss the current state of public transit in Toronto. This meeting will include a question and answer session with special guest, Chris Upfold, the TTC’s Chief Customer Service Officer.  Mr. Upfold has agreed to attend the meeting and answer questions transit riders have. He has also stated his interest in working WITH US to help improve the TTC.
A lot has happened in the last few weeks that will have a major impact on how we get around in 2012 and beyond. At the September TTC meeting the Toronto Transit Commission approved cuts to the TTC’s 2012 budget that will mean fewer buses will be operating. The Commission expects riders to be ok with even more crowding on their buses and to be fine with buses arriving less frequently.

If you disagree with cutting public transit service, especially when more of us are riding the TTC than at any time in its history, please consider sending a message to our elected leaders about the Commission’s decision. We need to take advantage of the remaining TTC meetings in 2011 to send a clear message to the Commission that we want more and better public transit for Toronto, not less!

For more info and to RSVP: info at ttcriders.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Moving People: Responses to Congestion

Tuesday, October 25, 6:30 PM
U of T, John H. Daniels Faculty of Architecture, Landscape, and Design, 230 College Street, Room 103
Free
With Steve Munro and Eric Miller
http://www.citiescentre.utoronto.ca/about/Events/TIQ_25oct11.htm?ViewMode=View&DateTime=634551642000000000&PageMode=View
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Democracy in Burma

Wed. October 26th, 6:30 p.m.
Ryerson University, Jorgenson Hall. Centre Hub (POD 152)

Democracy is the dream of peoples around the world. As young Burmese activists, Mi Aie Son and Aung Naing Soe will share their dreams for a fair & democratic Burma.

* Mi Aie Son, a Mon ethnic works with the Mon Youth Progressive Organization (MYPO) an independent youth organization with the aim of supporting the struggle for democracy and human rights in Burma. MYPO has implemented capacity building training sessions for members, a women empowerment program for young women activists, awareness raising program on issues of land use and control, hydro electric dam awareness, rights based campaign for women, work on civil rights and
issues quarterly bulletins.

*Aung Naing Soe is an ethnic Arakan who is the General Secretary of Nationalities Youth Forum. Under his leadership, NY Forum has successfully implemented training sessions , workshops and internships for ethnic youth and women. He is also the Burma representative for Asia Pacific Youth Network, promoting the collaboration of young activists throughout the region.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The Sustainability Nexus: Energy, technology, and Population

With Helmut Burkhardt, Professor of Physics Emeritus, Ryerson University
Thur. Oct. 27, 4-6 pm
University College, Rm. 179, U of T.
All  welcome. No charge
Co-Sponsored  by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Intro to Restorative Circles - a community process for supporting those in conflict

     Intro - Thu. Oct. 27 - Toronto
     Deepening - Fri. Oct. 28 to Sun. Oct. 30 - Toronto
     Facilitated by Duke Duchscherer & Gina Cenciose

Restorative Circles is a restorative practice developed by Dominic Barter in Rio de Janeiro in the mid 1990s and continues with a growing community both in Brazil and internationally. Restorative Circles bring together those in conflict within an intentional systemic context, to dialogue as equals. Participants invite each other and attend voluntarily. The dialogue process used is shared openly with all participants, and guided by a community member. The process ends when actions have been found that bring mutual benefit. As a circle form, they invite shared power, mutual understanding, self-responsibility and effective action. To learn more seewww.restorativecircles.org

Info, tuition and registration: Norman   normanpasewalk at gmail.com
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Students Against Racism (Ryerson) present:
I AM NOT EXOTIC!

Thur. October 27, 6pm-8pm
Thomas Lounge (Ryerson Student Centre)
RSVP here: http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=231581220228731
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Tired of all the pink-washing?  Come see how you can Prevent it!

Friday, October 28, 6-9 p.m.

The Centre for Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Ave. Suite 120

October is Breast Cancer Month.  We think of it as Breast Cancer Prevention Month. Come see "Exposure: Environmental Links to Breast Cancer", a film featuring Olivia Newton-John, Devra Lee Davis and Rosalie Bertell. The screening of this award-winning documentary will be followed by a discussion about breast cancer prevention and what you can do about it.
Sponsored by the Women's Healthy Environments Network (WHEN). For more info., please contact us at: 416-970-7393 or
office at womenshealthyenvironments.ca
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Land of Destiny 2008, 78 minutes
Friday, October 28 - 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Room 2-212 at the St. George Subway Station.
Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.
A film about the petrochemical industry and the workers and residents of Sarnia, Ontario. A representative of the Communications, Energy and Paperworkers' Union, Keith McMillan, will lead off the discussion.
Please visit: www.socialistaction-canada.blogspot.com or call 416 – 535-8779.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Electroshock: The Struggle to Ban "ECT"
with Don Weitz

Friday,October 28, 7-8:30pm
OISE, 252 Bloor W, Rm. 2214

Electroshock ("Electroconvulsive Therapy/ECT") is the most 'controversial treatment' in psychiatry today. This seminar deconstructs electroshock as a traumatic, memory destroying and brain-damaging procedure procedure that targets women and elderly people. Several studies and shock survivor testimony that document ECT's horrific effects, and the growth of international resistance against "ECT" are also discussed.

Event sponsored by Alumni for a Free U of T.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Is Your Mind Malnourished? The Link Between Nutrition and Depression

Friday, October 28, 7 p.m.

1 Kings College Circle, Medical Sciences Auditorium, U of T

Admission: $20 – CSOM and ISF Member Admission: $15
Pre-registration for this event is required
To register, please call (416) 733-2117 or email: centre at orthomed.org

Integrative psychiatrist James M. Greenblatt, MD, will present a lecture on the role of nutrition in the development and treatment of depression. Nutrient deficiencies connected to mental health disorders will be covered, along with evidence-based orthomolecular treatments including amino acids, vitamins, minerals and essential fats. Current pharmaceutical interventions and ways to minimize their side effects will also be discussed in this important lecture. Don't miss this rare opportunity to hear from a leader in the field of integrative psychiatry, with exceptional credentials and clinical expertise.  http://www.orthomed.org/isf/pubinfosessions.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Plant small food producing trees in South Riverdale area

Friday October 28 in the morning but the timing is flexible.

Meet at SRCHC, 955 Queen St. East (near Carlaw)
On October 27th we are receiving 60 trees split between Serviceberry, Elderberry, and Hazelnut.  These trees will be in an eight inch container and the plant will be about 12 inches tall.  We are planting them in various assisted living or geared to income housing in the immediate area around SRCHC.  We need a bunch of people (preferably with shovels and or wagons) to come here on October 28th to help pick-up and then plant some trees.  We are hoping to get enough volunteers that we can do this in a one trip out planting blast.
Please feel free to connect me with anyone you know that might be interested in digging a hole and making a growing difference to our community.

To register contact: Mike Jones, Leslieville-Riverdale Tree Project
Neighbourhoods Acting on Air Quality, South Riverdale Community Health Centre
416.461.1925 x 268
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The 12th annual Night of Dread

Saturday, October 29, 4 prep, 6 p.m. parade, then back to park till 10 pm
Dufferin Grove Park (Dufferin south of Bloor)
Dress Code: Black & white and dreadful all over
Pay-What-You-Can/ $10 Suggested Donation

Join us for the twelfth annual Night of Dread, Clay & Paper Theatre’s invitation to the community to parade our private and collective fears through the darkened streets of Toronto. The hour-long procession returns to Dufferin Grove Park for an evening of ceremonial festivities that compel us to call on, mock and banish the fears that unite and divide us in these tumultuous times. Night of Dread is an unforgettable evening of pageantry, music and masquerade incorporating towering puppets, stilt dancers, fire-spinners and fearful masks in a daring exploration of dread

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=146651302091407
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Action Scouting Workshop

Sat. Oct. 29, 1pm – 6pm
University of Toronto St George Campus (Room location is given upon registration.)
Register: http://www.toolsforchange.net/2011/09/08/introduction-to-action-scouting/

Whether you are planning a march, a sit-down, a picket, a meeting disruption, a banner, or a blockade, it is often important to check out the location in advance. Scouting the location well can help you plan an action that is safe, effective, and less likely to be foiled. This workshop will introduce you to the basics of scouting for situations where you are trying to go unnoticed to maintain an element of surprise.

Trainer: Paul Baker is the logistics and research campaigner with Greenpeace Canada.
This workshop is hosted by Greenpeace through Tools for Change.
Suggested donation: organizations and wage earners: $20; unwaged: $10. No one turned away for lack of funds.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Getting our message out
With Ulli Diemer of Connexions

Saturday October 29, 1:00 – 3:30 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham Street (Bathurst and Bloor)
Cost: $15

How can progressives become more effective in presenting and communicating our message?
How can we counter the power of the right in setting the terms in which issues are framed?

Please register at http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/11-09-24/Shifting_the_Frame.aspx
For more info: Phone: 647-726-9500  info at beitzatoun.org   www.beitzatoun.org
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Yoga, Community and Peacemaking with Michael Stone
Saturday, October 29 · 10:00am - 4:00pm
at The Yogabeats, 304 Parliament St

If yoga means both awakening and intimacy, what are we waking up to? Through meditation practices, dharma talks, and group discussion, we will explore how we can awaken to the complex interdependence of life. Self-judgment, the Japanese earthquake, incarcerated youth, the fragile forests - these are all realms that deserve our creative attention. Come learn how your practice can be socially engaged and active.

$70 but Sliding scale is available. Everyone is welcome!

Your participation will have an impact not only in your own life, but also on the lives of youth in our programs. 100% of the proceeds go directly to sustaining and growing New Leaf’s yoga programs for incarcerated & "at risk" youth. And, special mention should be made of our venue for this workshop, which was generously donated. The Yogabeat is a new non-profit yoga space serving Toronto’s Regent Park community.

Click here to register: http://newleafyoga.org/whatshappening.php   https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=198431886863562

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Greening Ward 32 presents:

Green Home Fair

Save $$ and create a healthy home

Sat. Oct. 29, 1 – 4 p.m.
Calvary Baptist Church, 72 Main St. (North of Kingston Rd)

For more info: greeningward32_gmail.com, facebook.com/greeningward32
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Where can we grow? Planning and Designing for a Carrot City

Tuesday, November 1, 6:00 p.m. to 8:00 p.m.
Ryerson University Architecture Building, 325 Church Street "The Pit"

Land is a very scarce commodity in Toronto and many other big cities. Interesting policy alternatives such as land trusts and innovative zoning are needed. New growing frontiers such as rooftops, land near public institutions and brownfields will be highlighted in this session.

Speakers

Katherine Brown, Southside Community Land Trust, Providence RI
Annie Novak, Eagle Street Rooftop Farm, Brooklyn NY
Joe Lobko, DTAH/du Toit Architects, Toronto
Richard Christie, Toronto District School Board, Toronto

Organized by LiveGreen http://www.toronto.ca/livegreen/getinvolved_speakers_growto.htm
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Economic and Social Security in the 21st Century: How Does Canada Stack Up Against other Wealthy Developed Nations?

With Dennis Raphael, Professor of Health Policy and Management, York University, Author of Author of Poverty in Canada, 2nd ed.

Thur. Nov. 3, 4-6 pm
University College, Rm. 179, U of T.
All  welcome. No charge

Co-Sponsored  by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stephen Lewis and Michele Landsberg: Toronto lecture

Thur. November 3, Lecture: 7:00 pm, Fundraising Wine & Cheese Social: 8:30 pm
Trinity St. Paul’s Centre, 427 Bloor Street West

The Canadian Centre for Policy Alternatives is proud to present Stephen Lewis and Michele Landsberg—two of Canada’s leading thinkers and recipients of the Order of Canada—as this year's featured guests for the David Lewis Lecture. Join us for an intimate conversation about their lives, their passions, and the future of this country. Following the lecture, there will be a fundraising social in an adjoining room with members of the Lewis family and CCPA research associates.

Copies of Michele’s new book, Writing the Revolution will be available for sale and Michele will be on hand to sign them.

Purchase tickets online at: http://policyalternatives.ca/david-lewis-lecture
Lecture tickets: $20 (upper level) or $40 (main level).
Fundraising Wine & Cheese: $40 (includes complementary drink).
All proceeds are dedicated to future CCPA David Lewis Lectures.
Generously sponsored by the Trinity-St. Paul's Centre for Faith, Justice and the Arts and the Ontario Public Service Employees Union (OPSEU).
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Challenging Our Understanding of Psychosis and Exploring Alternatives for Recovery

November 3 & 4
University of Toronto, Hart House

This conference offers a unique opportunity to hear from a distinguished group of writers, clinical practitioners, researchers, advocates and activists who are foremost in their fields of critical psychiatry, psychology, education, journalism, community development and activism. Their inspiring work on psychosis, depression and recovery puts them in the vanguard of the push to transform mental health care. Join them as they present the case for a new perspective on psychosis, and humanistic, community-based alternatives for recovery.

Our Guests:
Robert Whitaker, “Anatomy of an Epidemic”, Richard Bentall, Ph.D. Deconstructing Schizophrenia, Sandra Escher, Ph.D. Hearing Voices
Dr. Philip Thomas, Critical Psychiatry, Rufus May, Ph.D Unusual Beliefs, Dr. Joanna Moncrieff, Psycho-Pharma Complex
Alisha Ali, Ph.D. Oppression/Depression, Dr. Michaela Amering Trialogue, Joe Goodbread PhD. Process Oriented Psychology
Julie Repper, Ph.D. Social Inclusion, Will Hall MAPW Psychiatric Drugs/Harm Reduction, Maria Haarmans CBT for Psychosis
Dr. Peter Stastny “Crisis or Opportunity”, Ron Bassman, Ph.D. “Inspiration, Hope & Possibility”

http://intar.org/2011/05/intar-toronto-nov-3-4-2011-announced-challenging-our-understanding-of-psychosis-and-exploring-alternatives-for-recovery/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spreading Roots Symposium

Thursday November 3 - Sat. Nov. 5
Toronto Botanical Garden
Details and registration:  http://spreadingroots.ca/

This three-day tree symposium, celebrating the UN International Year of Forests, brings together a wide range of people—professionals and passionate amateurs, researchers and citizen advocates, nursery growers and backyard gardeners, policy makers and hands-on stewards—to explore the critical issues affecting urban trees and to examine what can be accomplished if we work together to ensure that our cities’ trees flourish.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
A Celebration of Life - Dave Martin

Fri. Nov. 4, 9 p.m., Victory Café, 581 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)

Join us for a celebration of the life and work of Dave Martin. For more than thirty years, Dave fought for global peace and against the nuclear juggernaut in Ontario. Join friends, colleagues and activists both young and old to celebrate Dave, his friendship, successes and the future success we’ll build together. We will aim to organize tributes, music, share successes, plan in the corners for future campaigns and, well, just party!

https://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=160250577400993&context=create
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
The War You Don't See

2010, 96 minutes - a film by renowned Australian radical journalist John Pilger that examines how the business media conceals the truth.

Friday, November 4 - 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Room 2-212 at the St. George Subway Station.
Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.

Please visit: www.socialistaction-canada.blogspot.com or call 416 – 535-8779.
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rendevous with Madness Film Festival

Nov. 4 - 12
Locations: TIFF Bell Lightbox - Reitman Square, 350 King St. West/ Workman Arts - 651 Dufferin Street/ NFB - 150 John St. / Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH), 33 Russell St. / T.A.N. Coffee, 992 Queen St. West

www.rendezvouswithmadness.com
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Facilitation  Workshop 101

Sat. Nov 5, 1pm – 4pm
University of Toronto St George Campus (Room location is given upon registration.)

A major part of movement building is lots of meetings. Meetings can be inspiring, hellish, or somewhere in between. The quality of a meeting depends a lot on good facilitation. Facilitators aren’t supposed to run the show, and they do more than keep track of who wants to speak. Come learn and share strategies for fostering good communication, equity, active listening and effective decision making for meetings of all shapes and sizes.

Trainers: Clare O’Connor is the Volunteer and Programming Coordinator for OPIRG-Toronto. Leah Henderson is a long-time Toronto organizer.

Suggested donation: organizations and wage-earners, $20; unwaged, $10. No one turned away for lack of funds.  Proceeds go to running the Tools for Change program, including honorariums for trainers.

http://www.toolsforchange.net/2011/08/14/facilitation-101/
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
What is Anti-Oppression? Why should you care about it?
Workshop 1: Sat Nov 5, 1pm - 5pm
Aangen Community Centre, on Dovercourt Road north of Bloor Street
$45
What is anti-oppression? What is social location? Systemic privilege and systemic marginality? Exercises on noticing privilege, changing
your attitudes, thoughts and assumptions.
 To arrange payment and get the address of the workshops, email may_lui at rogers.com or go to http://www.aangen.com/workshops.asp.
https://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150289304587911
---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Defending the Rights of Mother Earth and Providing for Peoples' Needs

Sunday, November 6, 2 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor Street West (at St. George Subway)

Planet or Death: Climate Justice versus Climate Change – Four study sessions based on the ideas of the 2010 Cochabamba conference.(For its key documents, see http://readingfromtheleft.com/PDF/CochabambaDocuments.pdf).

The aim of each session will be to develop participants’ capacity to explain and defend their views on the session’s basic theme. Sessions will feature brief presentations, mostly by non-experts; full discussions by breakout groups; and a closing plenary sessions. The series will also prepare for the December 2011 climate justice events in Durban, South Africa, and local support activities around the world.
Initiated by Toronto Bolivia Solidarity (TBS), an action group of OPIRG-Toronto.

For more information: www.Boliviaclimatechange at gmail.com

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in