T.O. Greenspiration Events: Radical Vision

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Dec 4 21:03:46 EST 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

Take Action for the TTC! Send an email to City Hall opposing cuts to the TTC

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Surviving Progress

Cumberland Theatre (Bloor and Avenue Rd) - 1:45 p.m., 4:30, 7:30, 10 p.m.
http://survivingprogress.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free screening of "Spoil", a documentary about the Great Bear Rainforest

Monday, December 5, 2011  6:30 pm
Annette Branch Library, 145 Annette St.

Enbridge Inc. is planning to build a pipeline for heavy crude oil from the Alberta tar sands across B.C. to the coast of the pristine Great Bear Rainforest. The tar sands in northern Alberta are arguably one of the world’s most environmentally-devastating extractive industries and the proposed Enbridge Gateway pipeline project would put one of our planet’s most ecologically-sensitive and intact marine ecosystems at risk for a catastrophic oil spill through increased mega tanker traffic.

The International League of Conservation Photographers (iLCP) teamed up with Pacific WILD, the Gitga’at First Nation of British Columbia, LightHawk, TidesCanada, Save our Seas Foundation, Sierra Club BC, and the Dogwood initiative to carry out a Rapid Assessment Visual Expedition (RAVE) in the Great Bear Rainforest of British Columbia. They focused their energy and cameras on this pristine region in response to plans by Enbridge Inc.  to build the Gateway pipeline. The 14-day expedition to the Great Bear Rainforest called upon 7 world-renowned photographers and 3 videographers to thoroughly document the region’s landscapes, wildlife, and culture. The RAVE provided media support to the First Nations and environmental groups seeking to stop the proposed Enbridge Gateway pipeline project (and thus expansion of the tar sands) and to expose the plan to lift the oil tanker ship moratorium.

http://pacificwild.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lake Ontario Evenings: Fish in the City

Monday, December 5, 6:30 p.m.
Gladstone Hotel, North Ballroom, 1214 Queen Street West
Free!

- Fish of the north shore: Examining Toronto fish communities in the Lake Ontario context (Jim Hoyle, Ministry of Natural Resources)
- Aquatic habitat restoration along the Toronto waterfront (Gord MacPherson, Toronto and Region Conservation)
- Tracking fish in the city (Nick Lapointe, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Carleton University)
- Urbanization and fish biodiversity in Toronto and Region watersheds (Jan Moyrk, Toronto and Region Conservation)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Divine Spark versus social control through fear and guilt.

Ancient technology; why Sumerologists such as Noah Kramer and Zecharia Sitchin are censored in academia.

With Sydney White, Investigative Journalist, Studies in Propaganda.

Monday, December 5 from 6-8pm
U of T, The Lash Miller Building, 80 St. George St., Room #159
More info:  416-787-0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Radioactive tour of Port Hope with concerned locals

Tues. Dec. 6, morning/early afternoon - If you just want to see first-hand and learn more about what the people of Port Hope, ON have been dealing with for decades, please join us!  Let me know if you’re in and I’ll send you more deets about transportation etc.
angela at cleanairalliance.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadians for Tax Fairness presents:
The Trouble with Billionaires - with Linda McQuaig

Tues. Dec. 6, 7:30 p.m.
25 Cecil Street, Steelworkers Hall (near Spadina and College)
Free

Linda will be speaking about "why too much money at the top is bad for the 99%". Her talk will be followed by a reception with cash bar to celebrate the release of the paperback edition of the book, The Trouble with Billionaires, which is no #3 on the Globe and Mail's bestseller list for paperback non-fiction.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

December 6th Vigil

Tues. Dec. 6, 6 - 7 pm
Philosopher's Walk - Between Royal Ontario Museum and Royal Conservatory of Music off Bloor

December 6th is the National Day of Action and Remembrance on Violence Against Women. Please join us to mourn the 14 women murdered because of their gender at l'Ecole Polytechnique in 1989. At 6pm at Philosopher's Walk, we remember and tell the stories of those women who can no longer speak for themselves. Vigil consists of a Native healing ceremony, speakers, and musical and spoken word performances.

We vow not to forget these women and all women who live with violence, who have died due to violence, and those who have survived. It is the job of those of us who go on living to speak for them and to change the world we live in.

All welcome. Bring a rose and candle. Ceremony goes on regardless of weather.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Change Starts With Us – discussion and film clips to mark the ann. of the Montreal Massacre

Tuesday, December 6, 6:30 PM
National Film Board, 150 John St. (at Richmond)
Free

Twenty-two years have passed since the École Polytechnique Massacre in Montreal of 14 women who were murdered simply for being female. To mark the anniversary, the NFB Mediatheque, in partnership with the White Ribbon Campaign and the Ryerson White Ribbon Campaign, will be hosting a discussion based on clips from NFB films. Your participation, questions and opinions will be emphasized in what is set to be a highly engaging, dynamic event led by the Ryerson White Ribbon’s Co-Chairperson, Jeff Perera, about gender, relationships and violence.

You can also watch the films to be discussed in their entirety online prior to the event: Salt, Who's Counting: Marilyn Waring on Sex, Lies, and Global Economics, Me and the Mosque, Sexy Inc. Our Children Under the Influence, Robes of War, George and Rosemary, The Big Snit and Finding Dawn.
RSVP required. Please call 416-973-3012 and arrive 15 minutes early to reserve your spot.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

You’re invited to a showing of
(un)Masking Women
A project by South Riverdale Community Health Centre

Metro Hall Rotunda, 55 John Street (at King)
On display the week of December 5 – 9.
Opening reception on Tuesday, December 6th, 1:00 – 3:00 p.m.

(un)Masking Women is a project put together by various groups at South Riverdale Community Health Centre including: COUNTERfit Harm Reduction Program, the Grief and Loss Education & Action Group, and the Women’s Gathering.  This project brings light to the masks women wear, whether hiding pain, bruises and suffering, or showing strength, beauty and resilience.  Through journaling and paper-mache art, participants have created images reflecting the shadows and lightness of women’s lives.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Youth Community Kitchen (for Youth 15+)

Wednesday, December 7, 5:00 pm–7:30 pm
Masaryk Cowan CRC, 220 Cowan Ave.

The Youth Community Kitchen is a cooking experience for older youth, held on the first and third Wednesday of each month. No registration required. Drop by the community centre to check it out, or contact Robyn at robyn at greenestcity.ca for more information.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transit City is Dead: Now What? - With Steve Munro

Wednesday, December 7, 7 PM
Metro Hall, 55 John St (at King)

Upon taking office Mayor Rob Ford made several substantive changes to Toronto's transit policy. The first was to kill the vehicle registration tax to the tune of some $60 million. An odd choice for someone who claims to be primarily concerned with balancing the budget.  In any case.  The second was to kill Transit City.  A transit plan that took some fifteen years to evolve from blackboard to groundbreaking.

There is some talk today that the death of Transit City may be exaggerated.  There is also talk that the Mayor's grand plan to take the subway from Sheppard to Scarborough Town Centre has run into the brick wall of lack of funding that many of our best informed had predicted.

http://www.meetup.com/PostCarbonTorontoMeetup/events/40778952/?a=ea1.2_grp&rv=ea1.2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Chocolate Farmer - screening

Wednesday, December 7, 7 p.m.
NFB Mediatheque, 150 John St. (at Richmond)
Free!

In an unspoiled corner of southern Belize, cacao farmer and father Eladio Pop manually works his plantation in the tradition of his Mayan ancestors: as a steward of the land. A tender and moving family tale, director Rohan Fernando’s lush cinematic journey intimately captures a year in the life of the Pop family as they struggle to preserve their values in a world that is suddenly and dramatically changing. A lament for cultures lost, this timely and vital film challenges our deeply held assumptions of progress. This film is presented with English subtitles.

Followed by a discussion with ChocoSol Co-founder, Michael Sacco

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tinashe Kanengoni on Community Food Security

Wed. Dec. 7, 6 - 8 p.m.
Bloor/Gladstone Library (Dufferin Subway)

Tinashe was the first Community Food Security Coordinator to work for the City of Toronto. He spent the last 5 years working in the Lawrence Heights Community. He has also worked for the Afri-Can FoodBasket, FoodShare and Schools with Borders (Seed to Table). He has also done food security work in Zimbabwe, Botswana and Kenya.

The talk is about finding purpose and power through food. The talk will examine community food security successes and challenges experienced working in Toronto. This is an opportunity for sharing before he leaves to do work in Zimbabwe and Zambia.

Event sponsored by: Seed to Table ( Schools without Borders)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Environmental Alliance presents
2011 EcoBunk Awards

Wed. Dec. 7, doors 7 p.m., show 8 p.m.
Lula Lounge, 1585 Dundas St. W.

Our annual fundraiser comedy show pokes fun at the most outrageous corporate greenwashing of the previous year with a night of good laughs and great entertainment! We present nominated ads under different categories and reveal the winners. Sometimes we even point the finger at ourselves...

EcoBunk is a popular and favourite event among the environmentally-minded in Toronto, Hamilton, Waterloo and points beyond. The laughter lasts for two full hours.

http://www.torontoenvironment.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transit, Safety and YOU! Discussion Forum

Thur. December 8, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
519 Community Centre (Wellesley and Church)

Come out to discuss safety on the TTC.
Open to people who identify as women, trans and their allies
Childcare, Note taking and ASL available upon request by Dec. 1
Register at thrive at metrac.org, 416-397-0258

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dharma Rising

Thursday December 8, 7 pm
Innis Town Hall Theatre, 2 Sussex Ave on the University of Toronto campus

Q & A with director - Dave Cherniack - to follow screening
Tickets will not be available at the door. Purchase in advance at http://dharmarising.eventbrite.com/ $12

Is Western Buddhism becoming Dharma Light? Can the fundamental teachings of Buddhism withstand the influences of modernity? What can our Western Buddhist Teachers offer us? A two part documentary that takes a fascinating look, through the eyes first generation Western Buddhist Teachers, at the challenges facing Buddhism as it encounters contemporary culture in America and Europe.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The G20 Has Come and Gone But We Are Still Here!
Community celebration, fundraiser, and book launch

Thurs. Dec. 8, Doors open at 7:30 p.m., bands start at 8:30
Cinecycle, down the lane behind 129 Spadina Ave (south of Richmond)
$10 cover, on a sliding scale (no one will be turned away!)
Featuring performances by: Hut (with members of Hooded Fang), Abstract Random, Secret Trial Five

It is now over a year since the G20 has come and gone, and though our community still has its bruises, traumas, and criminal charges, we are still here. And we are still resisting! Come celebrate our continued resistance to ongoing colonialism, environmental destruction, and public sector cuts as we raise much needed funds for our allies still facing G20 legal costs.

This event also celebrates the launch of the first book about the G20 protests: Whose Streets? The Toronto G20 and the Challenges of Summit Protest. Contributors to the book are activists who helped organize the mobilizations, demonstrators and passersby who were arbitrarily arrested and detained, and scholars committed to the theory and practice of confronting neoliberal capitalism. Through a combination of testimonials from the front lines and analyses of the broader context, they collectively offer an account that both reflects critically on what occurred in Toronto and looks ahead to more democratic resistance. Foreword written by Naomi Klein. All proceeds go to the Toronto G20 Legal Defence Fund.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto City Budget – Public Hearings

Thursday, December 8, 9:30 a.m.
City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, committee room 1

Registration: Email buc at toronto.ca or call 416-392-7340 with your name and address to sign up.
Public Hearings on the proposed budget – your chance to make a deputation to city councillors about the impact of budget cuts/changes.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

MINT Film Festival presents:

A Tribute to John Lennon

Thur. Dec. 8
Rainbow Cinemas = 80 Front St. (across from the St. Lawrence Market)

6:30 PM - Opening Act Comedian/Activist Derek Forgie
6:40 PM - John Lennon Tribute Concert featuring Don Francks,
                 Bill Colgate and Steve Hunter
7:30 PM - Intermission
7:45 PM - Film Short - Green Heros - Gord Downie
7:50 PM - Feature Film - The US verses John Lennon (99 min)
9:30 PM - Panel Discussion on John Lennon and The Revolutionary
                 Power of Music featuring Christopher Ward, Greig Andrew
                 Nori and Occupy Toronto.
10:00 PM - Finish

Filmmakers David Leaf and John Scheinfeld offer a compelling look at the efforts of the United States government to silence one of rock & roll's most outspoken war critics in this documentary detailing the Vietnam-era struggle between the Richard Nixon administration and iconic peace activist John Lennon. The Vietnam War was raging and the nightly news was filled with stories of failed offensives and massacred U.S. troops. As anti-war protests back home gained momentum, it was the hopeful voice of former Beatle Lennon that served to perfectly encapsulate the frustrations felt by many citizens that the U.S. had gotten caught up in an quagmire from which there was seemingly no end in sight.

http://mintff.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Impact of Climate Change on the Water Cycle and Health
with Velma Grover, Ph.D. McMaster University, Editor, Global Warming and Climate Change: Ten Years After Kyoto and Still Counting

Thursday December 8, 4-6 pm
Rm 179 University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of Toronto.
No charge. All are welcome.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Enviro Photography exhibit

Dec 6 - Jan 6
Opening reception is Thur Dec 8 from 6-8pm.
at the John B. Aird Gallery 900 Bay Street (MacDonald Block, part of Queens Park).

Part of the Ontario Society of Artists New Members' Show
http://www.louishelbig.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Radical Vision: Alternatives to Psychiatry and the "Mental Health System"
with Don Weitz

Friday, December 9, 7-8:30pm
OISE, 252 Bloor W, Rm. 2214

A world without "mental health centres"? Without psychiatry? This seminar addresses these questions by discussing several existing community based, non-medical alternatives in Canada, the United States, and Europe These alternatives include Soteria House as a successful social experiment, Berlin's Runaway House, safe houses, supportive housing, drop-ins, self-help groups, and nonexistent but urgently needed withdrawal centres, healing houses, and co-ops. Obstacles to their acceptance and growth are critically discussed: psychiatry's medical model, mental health legislation, the myth of "mental illness'", public fear of "mental patients", bigotry in pro-psychiatry media. Possible ways to overcome them are explored.

Biographical note: Don Weitz is an antipsychiatry activist, psychiatric survivor, and human rights advocate. He is a member of the Coordinating Committee of the Coalition Against Psychiatric Assault (CAPA), and co-editor (with Dr. Bonnie Burstow) of Shrink Resistant: The Struggle Against Psychiatry in Canada. He continues speaking out against human rights violations in psychiatry and the "mental health system"; for many years he has been active in the international movement to ban electroshock.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

You are warmly invited to a dinner and a lively
"Talk-Back” to hear highlights of our Voice of Women (VOW) conference and AGM in Ottawa

Friday December  9, 7 p.m.
Friends House, 80 Lowther Avenue, Toronto

Speakers, Dinner, AND Celebration of someone very special, Shirley Farlinger.
By donation (to cover rental of space)

RSVP by Dec. 6 to info at vowpeace.org 416-603-7915

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Film Screening:
Frantz Fanon: His Life, His Struggle, His Work

Friday, December 9, 2011. 7:00pm-10:00pm
OISE, Room 5-150, 252 Bloor Street West

December 6, 2011 is the 50th anniversary of the death of Frantz Fanon. His revolutionary ideas are still of relevance to this period in which we live and struggle. We will reflect and discuss the significance of the 50th anniversary of Fanon's death and the relevance of his work within Afrikan communities across the world. We will have an interactive Inter-generational Dialogue re: Fanon's work. The panel and group discussion will attempt to centre Fanon's ideas upon today's concrete, multifaceted social and economic realities. There will also be performances by cultural workers (Story-tellers, Spoken Word Artists, Drummers, etc).

Free public event - donation will be accepted
Sponsored by the Pan-African Solidarity Network (University of Toronto)
For further information, please contact the Pan-African Solidarity Network (U of T) at panafricansolidarity at gmail.com.
Info: panafricansolidarity at gmail.com
Facebook event: http://www.facebook.com/events/319770134703357/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Film screening:
With Babies and Banners (1978)

Saturday, December 10th,
6:00 dinner, 7:00 film
Woodbine & Danforth area

Indian food, vegetarian options

The victory of the Great General Motors Sit-Down Strike in Flint, Michigan in 1937 was the key to the success of the CIO's drive for industrial unionism. The classic With Babies And Banners presents the untold story of the women–the working women, wives, mothers and sisters–who became the backbone of the strike.Organizing support for the workers occupying the plants, the women fought to defend the occupation and mobilized broad support that was instrumental in the strike’s success.  Forty years later, nine of these women reunite and dramatically show the relevance of their experience for workers fighting back today.

For more info and location: 647.393.3096
Suggested donation: $7-15
Organized by the Coxwell Branch of the International Socialists

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

No Prison Expansion - March and Noisy Demonstration

Saturday, December 10, 3pm
@ St. James Park (Church and King)

Bring noise makers, family and friends

On December 10, 2011, we will gather at St James park, the past site of Occupy Toronto. From there, we will march to the Don Jail in order to express our hatred of prisons and our contempt for the Criminal (In)Justice System.  Harper's Crime Bill is an attempt to lock more of us away for petty crimes - to fill Canadian jails with drug users and people struggling with mental health issues.

The current and ongoing expansion of the prison industrial complex touches our lives every day – from increases in street cops and surveillance to the overcrowding of prisons, and the further criminalization of poverty and targeting of marginalized communities.

The global capitalist economy is failing, and the environmental crisis is ongoing and everywhere. Increased policing and criminalization is an austerity strategy that will inevitably result in more of our friends and family members being locked away, more government money spent on policing and prisons, and the closures of community programs and schools.

The Canadian State is on a path towards US-style super-max isolation prisons and increased solitary confinement. There are plans for dozens of new prisons equipped with state-of-the-art security systems to further isolate prisoners from the outside world. The consequences to us and to our communities are dire; if the Crime Bill is passed, it will impose mandatory minimum sentences on various non-violent crimes – including simple drug possession (6 months in jail for 6 pot plants) – and make it harder to get time-served or parole.

Inspired by the global struggle against the capitalist elite and their vicious program of austerity, we choose to resist. In solidarity with all prisoners and exploited peoples struggling for freedom locally and globally. In solidarity with indigenous peoples of this land, who face continued assault by the Criminal (In)justice System. Against the current prison conditions of abuse and torture that only increase the violence in our communities. “This is Just the Beginning” says Rob Nicholson the Justice Minister, referencing tough crime bills. We couldn't agree more.

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in