T.O. Greenspiration Events: Blessings of the season...

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Dec 18 22:47:09 EST 2011

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Greenspiration friends, this'll be the last newsletter of the year. What a dynamo year! Thanks to everyone who has organized beautiful events and actions, creating community and change.

I'm going home for the holidays, so my next newsletter will be mid January.

I'm selling beautiful bicycle wall calendars again this year. They're just 10 bucks. They're produced by Montreal-based Cyclo Nord-Sud, an NGO that collects old bikes and sends them to lesser developed countries. So purchasing one raises funds for them as well as for advocacy for bike lanes on Bloor (Take the Tooker and Bells on Bloor). Buy some for your bicycle friends! Original, eco and useful. Let me know if I can mail you one.

Blessings of the season.
-angela <greenspi at web.ca>

p.s. Catch Toronto's Diem Mr. Businessman's Blues, 5 min. video filmed at Toronto's Occupy Park
p.s.s. Sign the petition for side guards on trucks to save cyclists' lives.
p.s.s.s. If you're a U of T student and want to do something with the Occupy Toronto movement and Environmental Justice Toronto, contact Dave <davevasey at gmail.com>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Making Leslie St. a “complete street”

Monday Dec. 19th, 6:30 – 8:30 p.m.
955 Queen St. East – the South Riverdale Community Health Centre

Feel like getting up to speed on local cycling and walking projects? Feel like advocating for improvements?  Leslie St. is still front and centre as an opportunity (we think ...) A few of us have been following the project. We set aside an evening so others in the community can catch up on what’s planned for Leslie between Queen and Lakeshore Blvd. I will provide some veggie soup, bread and some information.   You can provide your ideas about improvements for walking and cycling.

Thanks! Paul Young <pyoung at srchc.com>

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Holiday Gift Lab Nights

Monday, December 19 - Thursday, December 22
Each evening lab runs from 6:30 to 8:30pm.
REGISTER HERE: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/874

For a special price of $10 - or $15 at the door - come on over and make stuff to your heart's content. For each unique product you make, packaged ecologically and labelled exquisitely by you, you'll pay only $5. To illustrate, if you pre register and pay at the door, then make 4 products, you will pay $30 in total plus HST for the lab and goodies.
I'll set up, lay out all the ingredients, guide you in making what you want, help you package it and - best of all - clean up at the end of the night!

REFRESHMENTS SERVED. RSVP please to ensure there is space for you. CHILDREN ARE WELCOME. Please let me know the number and ages of children you will bring! I'll have my 51/2 year old on wooden train set duty!

Monday 19th - Bath Salts and Body Scrubs
Tuesday 20th - DIY with clays and mica.
Wednesday 21st - Bath, Massage, Healing and Sensual Oils
Thursday 22nd - Organic Glycerine Soaps

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Change: Canada's Shame - Candlelight Vigil at Environment Minister Peter Kent's Office

Wednesday December 21, 4:00 to 7:30 pm - in recognition of the Winter Solstice
Constituency Office of Peter Kent, Minister of the Environment, 7600 Yonge Street -30 minute walk north of Steeles Ave.  (halfway between Elgin and John St., on the left hand side.)

A group of concerned citizens will meet at the South West corner of Steeles and Yonge at 3:30 to walk (30 minutes) to the office. You’re welcome to join us for the walk, or to meet at the constituency office.

Speeches, meditation, poetry readings, and music. Please bring a candle, and dress warmly.

Peter Kent has announced Canada will pull out of the Kyoto Accord.  This means we will take no action during the most critical period for action on carbon emissions – instead our emissions will keep going up.  No funds will be contributed to the Global Green Fund.  This is Canada’s shame.

A symbolic fast will also be held from Wednesday morning to Thursday morning.  If you’re fasting, please make sure we know about it – contact us at info at torontoclimatecampaign.org. You’re welcome to break the fast with us at 8:30 am on Thursday December 22, at Nathan Phillips Square.

EVERYONE: whether or not you can come to the vigil, please contact your MP and MPP and share your concerns.  For more information:http://westcoastclimateequity.org/2011/12/13/arctic-methane-emergency/ utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=arctic-methane-emergency

Tipping Point -  http://wakeupfreakout.org/film/tipping.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Panel Discussion: Niqab and Canadian Citizenship

Thursday, December 22, 7:00pm
Noor Cultural Centre, 123 Wynford Drive (near Eglinton and Don Valley Parkway)

In the wake of last year's Bill C-94 in Quebec (which would have withheld certain public services from women wearing the niqab) and this month's announcement banning the niqab during Canadian citizenship oath-taking, by the Hon. Jason Kenney (Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism), the niqab and its place in Canada have become hot topics in Canadian public discourse. The purpose of this panel discussion is to present a balanced understanding of the various interests represented in the debate. With:

- Hamda Omar has been wearing the niqab for the past 7 years, since the age of 16. She is actively involved in promoting Islamic literacy in the Toronto Muslim community, and is currently completing a Specialization in Linguistics at the University of Toronto.
- Raheel Raza is a journalist, author, filmmaker, diversity consultant, interfaith advocate and public speaker who has been weighing in on the compatibility of the niqab with Canadian values.
- Faisal Bhabha is a lawyer and professor at York University's Osgoode Hall Law School, who previously sat as Vice-Chair of the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario. He represented the Canadian Council on American-Islamic Relations as an intervener in the Supreme Court Case regarding a woman's right to wear the niqab while testifying in court.

Facebook event page: http://www.facebook.com/events/264920680227853/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy Christmas
With the Friendly Spike Theatre Band and Friends

Sun. Dec. 25, 1 - 4 p.m.
May Robinson Apartment Buildings, 20 Westlodge Ave. (Lansdowne and Queen)
Potluck party
For more info: friendlyspike at primus.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Planet in Focus presents:
Waking the Green Tiger

Wed. Jan. 4, 7 p.m.
NFB Mediatheque, 150 John St. (John and Richmond)

Waking the Green Tiger follows an extraordinary campaign to stop a huge dam project on the Upper Yangtze River in SW China. Featuring astonishing archival footage never seen outside of China, as well as interviews with a gov't insider and the people who are working to save the river, Gary Marcuse's documentary is an inspired look at the new environmental movement in China.

http://www.facetofacemedia.ca/page.php?sectionID=2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Religions – A Reconciliations of Peoples

with John Siebert, Executive Director,	Project Ploughshares

Wed. Jan. 10, 7 p.m.
Unitarian Congregation in Mississauga, 84 South Service Road
$10 or pay what you can

For more info: 905 278 5622 or info at uucm.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Women Wanted!

Voices from the Street in partnership with the Sistering, the Barbra Schlifer Clinic, and the Mennonite New life Centre are looking to recruit women who are interested in using their personal experiences with homelessness, poverty, immigration, violence and legal issues to educate the public and push for social change. They are offering a 12-week training program. For more info, contact: Phone: 416-504-1693 x 231 or email lubna at ocab.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

$650 / 160ft² - Loft-Room Available ~ creative live/work space (Ossington & Dupont)

Long or short term, min. 1 month, travellers welcome
http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/roo/2744864697.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Seeking Green Minded Roommate to Rent a Large Room in the Annex

I work on a range of green issues, bike year round and am looking for a green minded person to rent the large second bedroom opening in up in my apartment found in the heart of the Annex. We have a bike room, are perfectly located on top of two subway lines and have everything you could ever need at the corner (three food stores, gym, etc.). Ideally, someone will move in January 1, 2012, however, there is some flexibility and they could move in as late at March 1, 2012. Send me a message if you or someone you know might be interested. Thanks.  jordangold(at)iname(dot)com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Housing Needed
... by Dec. 31 move in - insecticide free and chemical perfume free and toasty with heat with laundry washing and a room with fresh air access 'til March or later, also quiet for sleeping. Contact Goretti Cotovio <gocotovio at yahoo.ca>

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in