T.O. Greenspiration Events: Here's to a green shift in 2012!

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jan 15 20:13:14 EST 2012

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Stop the Cuts: Final Budget Showdown

Watch this 2 minute video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1JAfKD-N3M

And then show up on Tues. at City Hall (deets below) to protest proposed municipal budget cuts to environment programs, social programs, youth nutrition programs, community grants, homeless shelters, childcare subsidies, recreation centres and the arts.

Cuts to important services like the Toronto Environment Office and the TTC are not going to save our city money. In fact, it will only to lead to higher costs for residents as their energy bills and transit fares get more expensive. Read more about the budget cuts here.

Contact your Councillor now - call or email them now. Find their contact information here: www.toronto.ca/wards

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy the Banks - Teach-in/Planning/Workshop - All brains welcome!!

Mon. Jan. 16, 9 p.m. - 10:30 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor street West at S.t George station. Room 2189 2nd floor

The elite banking consortium that WE NEVER ELECTED is creating 95% of our money supply via DEBT. Canadians are paying on average 170 MILLION dollars DAILY on the interest the government owes on an 18 billion dollar loan from over 30 years ago. The best part, it's all compounding interest, and it's compounding at apx. 50 billion dollars a year rendering it a perpetual debt that will be passed on to generations and generations...and generations of debt-ridden Canadians! Brain Boggled? We are too!

Watch: ohcanadamovie.com for a more thorough and animated version of the hijack of our central bank.
Join us on January 16th as we hold a teach-in while we brainstorm actions to educate and mobilize Canadians on the hijack of our central bank, and our dignity.

www.occupybig5.org
#occupybig5 Twitter
https://www.facebook.com/events/276744282379692/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Computing the Climate: the Evolution of Climate Models

Mon. January 16, 3 p.m
U of T
With Steve Easterbrook, Department of Computer Science
http://www.cs.toronto.edu/climate/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Final Budget Showdown: Toronto vs Rob Ford!

Tues. Jan. 17, 5:30 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen W. (Queen and Bay)

On January 17th-19th, City Council will vote on the 2012 budget. Ford and his buddies want to cut nearly $90 million in services, even though the city has a surplus of at least $140 million. They plan to slash services, hike fares and user fees, and lockout or layoff workers when there is actually enough money to improve life in this city.

Toronto Stop the Cuts has been organizing in neighbourhoods across the city to build powerful resistance against Ford and his cuts. On January 17th, we are all coming together for a Final Budget Showdown - a rally and actions to oppose the cuts and demand an expansion of city services for all! Join us - together we can Stop the Cuts!

Organized by Toronto Stop the Cuts Network
Learn more about the cuts: http://www.torontostopthecuts.com/2012-budget-cuts-and-whats-at-stake/
More info:
www.torontostopthecuts.com
www.facebook.com/stopthecuts
www.twitter.com/tostopthecuts
tostopthecuts at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy the Budget! Occupy City Hall! A Three-Day Occupation of Nathan Phillips Square

Tues. the 17th, Wed the 18th, and Thurs the 19th
Outside of City Hall (100 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON)

All out for a three day outdoor occupation of City Hall during the city budget meetings! Bring your tent, stay the night! Show Rob Ford and his corporate backers that our city isn't theirs to dismantle!

Facebook Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/284796561569256/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Indigenous Research: A Community Conversation with Shawn Wilson

Tuesday January 17th, 5:30pm-7:30pm
POD 250 (287 Victoria Street) Ryerson University

Please RSVP to Ruth Koleszar-Green @ rkolesza at ryerson.ca by January 12th,2012.
Open to all
Hosted By: Ryerson Aboriginal Student Services, Yeates School of Graduate Studies, First Nations House: University of Toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Full day kindergarten and its impact on Daycare

TDSB Ward 10 - Trinity-Spadina Community Forum

Tuesday January 17, 7-9 pm
Ryerson Community School Gym, 96 Denison Ave.

Everyone welcome!
Presentations from the City and TDSB experts on addressing the challenges of full day kindergarten
Q&A sessions for parents
Childcare will be provided

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy Talks: What Gravy Train? Austerity, Finance and the Polarization of Wealth

With Linda McQuaig, Jim Stanford and Sam Gindin, exploring the structures underlying our society's increasing inequality and growing poverty

Wed. Jan 18, 7 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (near St. George subway station)

As Ford and Toronto City Council meet to discuss and vote on massive budget cuts, we will explore the underlying structures that lead to such backward decisions.

Sporsored by rabble.ca
http://rabble.ca/whatsup/occupy-talks-what-gravy-train-austerity-finance-and-polarization-wealth

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto NDP Leadership Debate
Theme: An Agenda for Canadian Cities

Wed. Jan. 18, Doors open at 7pm, Debate starts at 7:30pm
Bloor Collegiate Institute, 1141 Bloor St. W.

Or watch livestream on RabbleTV http://rabble.ca/rabbletv
More info: http://torontondp.ca/main/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Justice for Attawapiskat: The Housing Crisis

Wednesday, January 18, 5 p.m.
Ryerson Student Centre, 55 Gould St., Room SCC310, 3rd floor

Do you support justice for Aboriginal communities? Find out how we can take action. Join us for a collective discussion about the Indian Act, 3rd Party Management and equity for Indigenous Peoples in Canada.

Discussion facilitated by Christa Big Canoe, Legal Advocacy Director of Aboriginal Legal Services of Toronto.

Attawapiskat First Nation is located in Kenora District in northern Ontario, Canada, at the mouth of the Attawapiskat River at James Bay. The traditional territory of the Attawapiskat First Nation extends beyond their reserve up the coast to Hudson Bay and hundreds of kilometres inland along river tributaries.  On October 28, 2011 the Attawapiskat First Nation’s leadership declared a state of emergency in response to dropping temperatures, and the resulting health and safety concerns due to inadequate housing. Many residents were still living in tents, trailers and temporary shelters, and many residences and public buildings lacked running water and electricity. In one case, children, the elderly, and the ill were sleeping in rooms just a few feet away from a 2009 raw sewage spill that had not been adequately cleaned.  Aboriginal Affairs Minister John Duncan claimed that officials in his department were unaware of Attawapiskat's housing problems until Oct. 28, 2011, despite having visited the community many times that year. Many people are unaware that this is not a new crisis, but is one that has been escalating for a number of years.

This event is brought to you by the Ryerson Students' Union's Equity Committee, Students Against Racism and the Women's Centre
http://ryewomenscentre.ca / Tel: 416-979-5255 ext. 1-2350
Facebook Event Here: http://tinyurl.com/7bttk3y

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Drinks - Toronto Networking Event

Wed. Jan. 18, 5:30 - 9 p.m.
Grace O'Malley's, 14 Duncan St. (near Adelaide and John downtown)

We have a lively mixture of people from NGOs, academia, students, government and business . Come along and you'll be made welcome. Just say, "are you green?" and we will look after you and introduce you to whoever is there. It's a great way of catching up with people you know and also for making new contacts. Everyone invites someone else along, so there’s always... a different crowd, making Green Drinks an organic, self-organising network. These events are very simple and unstructured, but many people have found employment, made friends, developed new ideas, done deals and had moments of serendipity.

Mark your calendar for the 3rd wednesday of each month

https://www.facebook.com/events/226504170763295/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Next JustEarth Toronto planning meeting

Wednesday, January 18, 7:00 p.m.
419 Carlton St (free parking, 506 streetcar)
Agenda:

Strategy post-Durban, time to reflect on what happened, and did not,
How can Canadian NGOs get serious change on the political agenda?
Plus socializing, post-strategizing.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Breast Health Workshop
with Julie Groulx, RMT

Wed. January 18, 6—9pm:
252 Bloor St W, room 2-211

Become proactive about your breast health by exploring stretches, breathing, hydrotherapy, and massage techniques that support your body’s natural ability to heal itself. Discover how your lymphatic system and breasts work in a fun and supportive environment. Massage therapy techniques for breast-feeding, scar tissue and edema will also be covered.
Please bring a notebook or a journal.

$60 ($50 student/unwaged)
Email cwse at utoronto.ca to register

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Leading Workshops: A Training For Trainers

Thursday, January 19th, 6.30pm – 8.30pm.

Planning on leading a workshop in the future? Then this workshop is for you. This training will cover the basic principles of workshop design and delivery including how to create a comfortable learning environment, manage workshop logistics, pay attention to power and process, choose content that will fit your group’s different learning styles, and look after yourself in the role of facilitator. You’ll have the opportunity to create a simple workshop design and get feedback, so please come prepared with something in mind.

Trainer: Annahid Dashtgard, co-founder of Anima Leadership, a training and consulting company devoted to creating work environments and communities where everyone feels that they matter and belong.
Register. http://www.toolsforchange.net/2011/12/12/leading-workshops-a-training-for-trainers/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Modernizing Islam
with Farana Hassan, Toronto-based Writer, Past Chairperson, Canadian Muslim Congress

Thur. Jan. 19, 4 - 6 p.m.
Rm. 179 University College, U of T (15 Kings College Circle)
Free. All welcome

Co-Sponsored  by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Food n' Mood: Winter wisdom from Chinese medicine
Thursday, January 19, 6 - 8 pm
51 Kensington Avenue (North of Dundas), at Laurentina’s Improv Club
Free
Bracing for the Winter blahs? Dreading the dumps? There's hope! Come to a FREE seasonal “Food n’ Mood” workshop with Pauline Sok Yin Hwang. Chinese medicine offers time-tested wisdom for rolling with the punches, going with the flow, and balancing yourself through the different seasons. Winter is the season of the kidney-adrenal system, a critically important foundation for the whole body, how we flourish, and how we cope with stress. Learn to use Winter to nourish and rejuvenate your kidney-adrenals, and yourself.

Bring: your dinner – take-out, store-bought, home-cooked, whatever. (Don't worry, you won't have to share it with anyone!)
You'll leave with: helpful recipes, tips, meditations, and a newfound appreciation (or at least tolerance!) of Winter.
Info / RSVP: http://paulinehwang.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

GTWA Coffeehouse: Occupy Debrief

Friday, 20 January, 7:00 until 10:00 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (Bloor and Bathurst)

2011 - maybe it wasn't quite 1968 but it was a year of great social upheaval. With 2011 behind us, the GTWA is holding the first in what will be a new series of Coffeehouses to discuss where we are as a movement, with this particular one featuring two local activists who... were very involved in Occupy Toronto, and in particular building links  between the Occupy movement and the labour movement. Is this the beginning of a new community/labour coalition that we've been waiting for? Will the Occupy movement be able to sustain itself and help awaken a dormant labour movement? How did the Occupy Toronto experience measure up with other Occupations? These and other issues will be topics of comradely discussion.

This Coffeehouse was organized by the Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly Internal Education and Political Development Committee (IEPD).
Speakers: Brendan Bruce, Lana Goldberg and more

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy Toronto Activist Assembly - a weekend of Occupy Talks and Training

Jan. 20 - 22, Friday to Sunday
OISE, 252 Bloor West

Fri. Jan. 20, 7 p.m. Opening Panel with Judy Rebick, Carolyn Egan, Syed Hussan
Sat. and Sun. workshops

This will be a weekend long, conference style event with talks, workshops and training aimed at developing Occupy Toronto's Activist Capacity.  It's aim is to appeal to OccupyTO's periphery and encourage them to get more actively involved in the movement.

http://occupyto.org/2011/12/occupy-toronto-activist-assembly-jan-20-22/
https://www.facebook.com/events/270078499716966/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Applied Positive Psychology Program

Sat. January 21 and 22, 9:00am - 5:30pm
CSI Spadina, Level 400, Alterna Savings Room, 215 Spadina Avenue

The field of positive psychology is a movement away from just diagnosing and treating what is wrong with people and societies, and towards identifying and building what is right. The program was designed to help people reach their natural capacities for happiness through two integrated approaches. The goal is that by the end of the workshop people know as much as virtually anyone on the subject of happiness... read more

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

 The Sex Talk Series presents…

No More Apologies:  Queer Trans and Cis Women, Coming/Cumming Together!
A FREE conference about social exclusion, sex, and sexual health

Saturday, January 21st • 2-7pm
The TRANZAC (Bloor and Brunswick)

No More Apologies is a day-long sex talk, designed to name and address the exclusion of queer trans women from broader queer women’s sexual communities. Social exclusion negatively impacts trans queer women’s sexual, emotional, and psychological health; meanwhile, by excluding trans women from our communities, cis queer women are missing out on a multitude of sexy, wonderful women to love, fuck, and connect with. Join us for this long overdue conversation and call to action about how to transform our talk about trans inclusion into practice.

To pre-register, or for more information, please contact Kate at kklein at ppt.on.ca or 416-961-0113, x. 123!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Group Decision Making Workshop

Sunday, January 22nd, 1pm – 4pm.

How movement groups make decisions has a big impact on our politics, our effectiveness, and the quality of our activist experience. It can be a major challenge to find the model that has the right mix of inclusiveness, accountability, and efficiency for your group. This workshop will explore different decision-making and organizational models used by activist and advocacy groups, such as consensus, voting, spokescouncils, and hybrid varieties.

Trainer: Jessica Bell is a facilitator, a lecturer in the non-profit and voluntary sector management program at Ryerson University, and a trainer with the Ruckus Society.

Register: http://www.toolsforchange.net/2011/12/02/decision-making-and-organizational-structure-for-groups/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop New Nuclear in Ontario

With Jack Gibbons and Angela Bischoff of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Mon. Jan. 23, 7 p.m.
Toronto Metro Hall, Rm. #310 (intersection of John / King St.)

With the coal phase-out almost complete, the province has plans to rebuild 4 more nuclear reactors at Bruce B (Bruce A rebuild is already 2 years late and $2 billion over budget), AND rebuild 4 reactors at Darlington, AND build 2 new reactors also at Darlington. These projects would cost upwards of $80 billion dollars. OCAA is campaigning to have those dollars invested in safer, less costly, greener electricity options.

Is it do-able to meet all our electricity needs without nuclear or coal? Absolutely! Find out how. And plug in!

For more info: angela at cleanairalliance.org, www.cleanairalliance.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/331013163587399/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in