No Nukes News: here's to no new nuke projects approved in 2012!

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Tue Jan 17 14:26:22 EST 2012

No Nukes News

Jan. 17, 2012 - Please pass this onto a friend!

"We suspect we're going to see more cancers, decreased fetal viability,
decreased fertility, increased metabolic defects - and we expect them to be
generational" - Dr. Dale Dewar <http://bit.ly/wozkVL> , ED of Canadian ENGO
Physicians for Global Survival, speaking about the effects of radiation on
sea life as a result of Fukushima

"Everybody should be concerned that human-made plutonium, a by-product of
nuclear energy, is used to fuel nuclear bombs.

We're planting the seeds of our own destruction." - Dr. Gordon Edwards
<http://tinyurl.com/85g67b3>

 <http://tinyurl.com/6wl8khs> Radioactive iodine in Cdn. rainwater: Public
was in the dark

 <http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/> Watch the live webcast of the CNSC
(Canadian Nuclear Safely Commission) hearings in Port Hope, Jan. 17, 18 and
19.

 <http://bit.ly/v372WO> 14,000 U.S. Deaths Tied to Fukushima Reactor
Disaster Fallout - Medical Journal article, Impact seen as eoughly
comparable to radiation-related deaths after Chernobyl; Infants are hardest
hit

 <http://bit.ly/wozkVL> After Fukushima, fish tales - "There has been
virtually zero monitoring and research on this," he said, calling on other
governments to do more radiation tests on the ocean's marine life. -
Nicholas Fisher, a marine sciences professor

 <http://submedia.tv/stimulator/2011/12/27/amateur-riot/> 14 min. video
focuses on the burgeoning anti-nuke movement in Japan, following the
disaster at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear power plant

 <http://bit.ly/yWRmsP> $1.28B for Port Hope radioactive cleanup - When will
we finally figure out that nuclear is extremely expensive and not worth the
risk? For this amount of money, Ontario could have done a lot of other
things such as more conservation, CHP, built a ~ 250 MW solar plant, etc. -a

 <http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120103f1.html> Fukushima meltdowns
set nuclear energy debate on its ear - As of Dec. 25, only six of Japan's 54
reactors were running. But even these will be halted by spring for scheduled
inspections, bringing electricity supplies to dangerous lows. Even if the
reactors pass their inspections, the government may have a hard time
restarting them because doing so requires the consent of the municipal and
regional governments hosting them.

 <http://w115.cnd-m.org/secure/PDF/Abolish_Nuclear_Japan.pdf> Abolish
Nuclear Plants Immediately - The Catholic Bishops' Conference of Japan
recently published this call out

 <http://tinyurl.com/82s6k62> Controversial nuclear shipping plan through
the Great Lakes remains on hold

 <http://tinyurl.com/7t4zn3k> Canada quietly shipping bomb-grade uranium to
U.S., 'secret' federal memo says - Public hearings and parliamentary debate
are needed on bomb-grade uranium shipments. -a

 <http://tinyurl.com/cznlgc2> Chalk River's toxic legacy

 <http://bit.ly/wvgliO> Doomsday Clock ticks one minute closer to midnight

 <http://bit.ly/rMkaro> The Disease of the Nuclear Age: Is Cancer Epidemic
in America?

 <http://saveecoenergy.ca/save-energy-first> Save EcoEnergy, Canada's
residential national energy efficiency program. Send a letter here
<http://saveecoenergy.ca/save-energy-first> .

Act Now!

Event:
<https://www.facebook.com/events/331013163587399/#!/events/331013163587399/>
Stop New Nuclear in Ontario - With Jack Gibbons and Angela Bischoff of the
Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Mon. Jan. 23, 7 p.m., Toronto Metro Hall, Rm. #310 (intersection of John /
King St.)

With the coal phase-out almost complete, the province has plans to rebuild 4
more nuclear reactors at Bruce B (Bruce A rebuild is already 2 years late
and $2 billion over budget), AND rebuild 4 reactors at Darlington, AND build
2 new reactors also at Darlington. These projects would cost upwards of $80
billion dollars. OCAA is campaigning to have those dollars invested in
safer, less costly, greener electricity options. Is it do-able to meet all
our electricity needs without nuclear or coal? Absolutely! Find out how. And
plug in!

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1056> Guess the nuclear cost! - Bruce
A Nuclear rebuild is now $2 billion overbudget. We are offering a $100 cash
prize to the person with the closest estimate of the final cost of the Bruce
A refurbishment project.

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1059> Send an email to ON Energy
Minister Bentley and ask him to finish the coal phase-out in 2012 and invest
in energy conservation rather than build or rebuild new nukes.

Order FREE copies of  <http://bit.ly/yi5jhb> Don't Let Nuclear Projects Blow
Our Electricity Bills through the Roof!  They contain postcards to Energy
Minister Bentley. Distribute to your friends and neighbours.

---

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance