No Nukes News: Nuclear Aftershocks

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Jan 26 11:29:26 EST 2012

No Nukes News

Jan. 26, 2012 - Please pass this onto a friend!

<http://www.greenbuildingadvisor.com/blogs/dept/musings/fukushima-s-no-entry
-zone> Fukushima's No-Entry Zone - The radioactive zone created by last
year's nuclear plant meltdown is an environmental disaster - one that has
received surprisingly little attention in the press

 <http://tinyurl.com/6ojhxtl> Japan's Former Prime Minister Takes
Antinuclear Campaign to Davos

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7jhgOWpVzJk> Dr. Gordon Edwards on problems
with Uranium Mining

 <http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/episode/nuclear-aftershocks.html> Nuclear
Aftershocks - Monday, January 30, 10 p.m. ET/PT on CBC News Network - after
this TV screening, the film will be available to watch online for 30 days.
Could a Fukushima-style nuclear disaster happen here in North America? How
safe is our nuclear power industry? Nuclear Aftershocks travels to three
continents to explore the revived debate about the safety of nuclear power
and the options for alternative energy sources.

 <http://toronto.mediacoop.ca/video/cameco-and-port-hope-nuclear-safe/9682>
Cameco and Port Hope; Is Nuclear Safe? - Three Days for Five Years: Cameco's
License Renewal Hearing at the CNSC. "Cameco is using Lake Ontario as a
nuclear waste dump" - 3 min. video

Visit the " <http://nuclearfreenow2012.tumblr.com/> Do you support nukes?"
blog for the latest posts, videos and photos, produced by the ED of OSEA

<http://www.democracynow.org/2012/1/24/the_atomic_states_of_america_explorin
g> "The Atomic States of America": Exploring a Nation's Struggle with
Nuclear Power - 25 min, interview on Democracy Now

 <http://bit.ly/yYPI0K> Plan to bury nuclear waste at Chalk River inches
forward

 <http://tinyurl.com/754239m> Japanese Struggle to Protect Their Food Supply

<http://www.eaem.co.uk/news/complaint-about-nuclear-subsidies-may-prevent-ne
w-reactor-builds> Complaint about nuclear subsidies may prevent new reactor
builds

 <http://bit.ly/wDWt6D> Builder hopes to blow winds of change, lift ban on
off-shore wind turbines - There is a poll on this page asking "should the
moratorium be lifted". Please vote.

 <http://bit.ly/uoWhrv> We were wrong on turbine noise, admit protesters -
"At first we didn't want them on our doorstep, but now they're up they're
not doing any harm and there's no noise coming from them."

 <http://www.cbc.ca/passionateeye/episode/cape-spin.html> Cape Spin: An
American Power Struggle - a 90 min. CBC video documentary about the surreal,
fascinating, tragicomic tale of the battle over what would be the largest
clean energy project in the United States. The money flies as the spin
doctors set to work, maneuvering to win over the media, state and federal
politicians and public opinion.

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMffVvPYKyw&feature=youtube_gdata_player>
Community Power 2011 - Paul McKay Keynote - Advice for the Minister - 30
min. video

 <http://bit.ly/yRcfXd> Study finds that wind turbines pose no health risks

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXjKu2SPnNc> Bless This World - 4 min.
music video, produced to aid in the fight against the proposed Northern
Gateway and Keystone XL pipelines

Act Now!

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1056> Guess the nuclear cost! - Bruce
A Nuclear rebuild is now $2 billion over-budget. We are offering a $100 cash
prize to the person with the closest estimate of the final cost of the Bruce
A refurbishment project.

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1059> Send an email to ON Energy
Minister Bentley and ask him to finish the coal phase-out in 2012 and invest
in energy conservation rather than build or rebuild new nukes.

Order FREE copies of  <http://bit.ly/yi5jhb> Don't Let Nuclear Projects Blow
Our Electricity Bills through the Roof!  They contain postcards to Energy
Minister Bentley. Distribute to your friends and neighbours.

Toronto event: Screening of "From Chernobyl to Fukushima: A Campaigners
Journey". A film that documents the struggle of Greenpeace's Shawn-Patrick
Stensil to stop the Ontario government from building new nuclear reactors at
Darlington.  Screening followed by discussion with Shawn-Patrick and John
Perry SJ of the Jesuit Forum. Wed. Feb. 1, 7 p.m., Regis College, 100
Wellesley St. W. Free.

---

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director