No Nukes News: Stop New Nuclear in Ontario

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Wed Feb 1 16:12:52 EST 2012

No Nukes News

Feb. 1, 2012 - Please pass this onto a friend!

"We already have about 350,000 jobs in the (German) renewable energy sector
and we're developing all kinds of new technologies for energy storage, new
power lines, and intelligent networks to transport electricity from solar
facilities or offshore wind parks to users across the country. There's going
to be a complete transformation, and the world will look very different when
we're done." - Ursula Sladek <http://bit.ly/xJkNJz> , German green energy
champion

 <http://bit.ly/xzHgs8> STOP New Nuclear in Ontario - with Jack Gibbons,
OCAA - 17 min. video

<http://www.beyondnuclear.org/home/2012/1/12/french-study-finds-childhood-le
ukemia-doubled-around-nuclear.html> French study finds childhood leukemia
doubled around nuclear plants

 <http://tinyurl.com/6wqm86g> Frontline's Fukushima Documentary a Lazy
Apologia for the Nuclear Industry

 <http://bit.ly/x96LIi> Resident defiant in Japan's exclusion zone - In the
shadow of the Fukushima nuclear plant, one man's quiet defiance echoes
through the contaminated, empty streets of Tomioka, Japan. "I'm full of
rage," says Matsumura. "That's why I'm still here. I refuse to leave and let
go of this anger and grief. I weep when I see my hometown. The government
and the people in Tokyo don't know what's really happening here." He's been
tested for radiation contamination, and results show his body is "completely
contaminated."

 <http://bit.ly/wboxEM> Ministers 'misled MPs over need for nuclear power
stations'- Cross-party report says government misrepresented findings on
future electricity demand, and ignored case against nuclear

 <http://bit.ly/zaWwcp> Cancer Risk To Young Children Near Fukushima Daiichi
Underestimated - video and transcript

 <http://ind.pn/zPRqib> Revealed: secret evacuation plan for Tokyo after
Fukushima - 'Spine-chilling' thought of an uninhabitable capital pushed
Prime Minister to scrap nuclear power

 <http://bit.ly/sASFyh> Why Canada's nuclear cleanup will cost billions of
dollars and take decades to complete

 <http://bit.ly/z5IHPF> Nukespeak: The Selling of Nuclear Technology from
the Manhattan Project to Fukushima - In the end, the answer to the mystery
of why nuclear power in the United States is still afloat comes down to
money.

 <http://news.medill.northwestern.edu/chicago/news.aspx?id=199262> Nuclear
worries abound in Great Lakes region. Do solutions? - According to the
report, over 10 million Americans in Great Lakes states, excluding Indiana
and Minnesota, receive drinking water originating within 12 miles of a
nuclear power plant. The AP stories cited focused on radioactive isotopes
that could leak into drinking water. Great Lakes residents might zero in on
that section of the report, where warning flags are thrown up about the
possibility of a radioactive form of hydrogen, known as tritium, leaking
into groundwater from nuclear power plants.

 <http://bit.ly/wtKG8X> You are Stupid - 2 min. video about nuclear power

 <http://bit.ly/yxR9ER> Tear down barriers to energy conservation - The
Ontario Clean Air Alliance (OCAA) commissioned one of the province's top
economic forecasting firms - Spatial Economics - to look at what increasing
the efficiency of natural gas use would do for our collective bottom line.
It found that a 16 per cent reduction in our natural gas consumption by 2021
would increase GDP by $5.5 billion and reduce the combined federal and
provincial deficits by $975 million. And it would do that while creating
more than 33,800 new jobs and lowering the cost of doing business in
Ontario. This, however, is really just the tip of the efficiency iceberg:
Union Gas has calculated that it could reduce its customers' energy
consumption by 30 per cent over roughly the same period. And those are real
in-your-pocket savings.

Act Now!

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1056> Guess the nuclear cost! - Bruce
A Nuclear rebuild is now $2 billion over-budget. We are offering a $100 cash
prize to the person with the closest estimate of the final cost of the Bruce
A refurbishment project.

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1059> Send an email to ON Energy
Minister Bentley and ask him to finish the coal phase-out in 2012 and invest
in energy conservation rather than build or rebuild new nukes.

Order FREE copies of  <http://bit.ly/yi5jhb> Don't Let Nuclear Projects Blow
Our Electricity Bills through the Roof!  They contain postcards to Energy
Minister Bentley. Distribute to your friends and neighbours.

Toronto event: Screening of "From Chernobyl to Fukushima:
<http://vimeo.com/30753243>  A Campaigners Journey". A film that documents
the struggle of Greenpeace's Shawn-Patrick Stensil to stop the Ontario
government from building new nuclear reactors at Darlington.  Screening
followed by discussion with Shawn-Patrick and John Perry SJ of the Jesuit
Forum. Wed. Feb. 1, 7 p.m., Regis College, 100 Wellesley St. W. Free.

 <http://solarbonds.ca/what%27s-new/events> SolarShare hosts monthly
information sessions where you can learn about Community Solar Bonds and how
you can get involved. The next session will be Wed. Feb. 15 at 5:30 p.m. at
401 Richmond, Toronto.

---

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director