No Nukes News: You don't build a house without a toilet

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Feb 24 17:25:06 EST 2012

No Nukes News

Feb. 24, 2012 – Please pass this onto a friend!

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1067> Drummond Drops the Ball Drummond misses the two biggest and easiest opportunities to lower our electricity bills and save taxpayers billions: cancel the coal subsidies, and cancel the high-cost nuclear re-investment plan. Send an email to Premier McGuinty here <http://bit.ly/wOOENX> .

 <http://www.waterkeeper.ca/2012/02/10/green-groups-seek-ban-on-new-ontario-nuclear-reactors/> Green groups seek ban on new Ontario nuclear reactors

 <http://tinyurl.com/7ky8cxc> Radioactive medicine can be made without nuclear reactors, scientists show – This story puts the lie to nuclear proponents who say that we need nuclear reactors to supply hospitals with radioactive isotopes. Unlike Canada’s Chalk River nuclear isotope facility, cyclotrons produce no high-level radioactive waste, pose no danger of catastrophic nuclear accident, and require no weapons-grade uranium.

 <http://yhoo.it/wgdBZH> Japan's nuclear crisis goes much further than Fukushima – All countries with nuclear power are facing this same crisis of what to do with the radioactive waste for eternity: “You don’t build a house without a toilet.”

 <http://bit.ly/w82HkH> Shadowlands: Fukushima Nuclear Disaster: A Year Later - View the haunting photo exhibit online

 <http://bit.ly/zONJrN> Tritium Concerns in Peterborough – 6 min. video

 <http://bit.ly/zyoy8l> Point Lepreau nuclear plant gets 5-year licence

 <http://bit.ly/wkCsX3> Group calls for earthquake testing before Lepreau restart - The project is three years behind schedule and $1 billion over the original $1.4-billion budget.

 <http://bit.ly/wLBiMA> Kuwait cancels nuclear development after Fukushima incident

 <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16646405> UK 'subsidising nuclear power unlawfully' - We have the same subsidy here in Canada. OPG will only build new reactors at Darlington if they're protected from the financial liability of a reactor accident. Renewable developers pay their own insurance, so too should the nuclear industry.

 <http://www.beyondnuclear.org/home/2012/2/23/fog-of-war-begins-to-part-almost-a-year-after-the-fukushima.html> "Fog of War" begins to part almost a year after the Fukushima Nuclear Catastrophe began – Freedom of Information requests in the US reveal a state of chaos, confusion and deception within the Nuclear Regulatory Commission

 <http://bit.ly/wKjKUV> Fukushima disaster prompted huge surge in global renewable energy deals

 <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WgQ79-oDX2o> Depleted Uranium in the Human Body: Sr Rosalie Bertell, PhD – 10 min. video

 <http://bit.ly/xkXnyh> Renewables Are a Reality: How We Can Ditch Fossil Fuels Without Any Help From Congress Amory Lovins explains his plan for transforming our energy, transportation and industry sectors while at the same time growing our economy and cutting dirty fossil fuels.

 <http://www.waterkeeper.ca/2012/02/17/offshore-wind-turbine-project-signs-three-kingston-companies/> Offshore wind turbine project signs three Kingston companies - There’s just one thing holding up the go-ahead for the first offshore win wind project in North America — a provincial moratorium. Meanwhile, the province forges ahead with new and expensive nuclear projects. What’s wrong with this picture?

 <http://www.eurobserv-er.org/pdf/barobilan11.pdf> Renewables in Europe:

- The renewable energy industry in Europe provides jobs for 1 million workers, up 25% from 2009.

- The green energy sector has combined revenue of €125 billion, an increase of 15%, with sales in solar PV market overtaking wind power for the first time.

Events

 <http://bit.ly/xeTcGA> Teach-In -  The Geopolitics of  War and Sanctions Against Iran Saturday February 25, 10:45am to 5pm, Sidney Smith Hall, Room 2102, 100 St. George St, U of T, Toronto; $10 donation or Pay What You Can. Hosted by Science for Peace

Blue-Green Province: The Environment and the Political Economy of Ontario - with Mark Winfield, Wed. Feb. 29, 4:10 p.m. Rm. 1190 Bahen Centre, 40 St. George St, U of Toronto

 <http://bit.ly/xk4CO3> Advances in Conservation, Efficiency and Smart Grids: Danish & Ontario perspectives – Wed. Feb 29, 8:30 – 11 am, 181 Bay St. Toronto

 <http://www.cbc.ca/natureofthings/episode/journey-to-the-disaster-zone-japan-311.html> Journey to the Disaster Zone: Japan 311 – Thur. Mar 1, 8 p.m. on CBC-TV, David Suzuki and the Nature of Things on the Fukushima nuclear disaster, one year later

 <https://www.facebook.com/events/172177626228128/> From Fukushima to Toronto: A Town Hall Sun. Mar. 18, 1 – 5 p.m., Toronto – Workshops, panels, discussions on the Fukushima nuclear disaster, why it matters in Ontario, and how Torontonians can stop nuclear expansion and build a 100% renewable Ontario. Speakers from Ontario Clean Air Alliance, Greenpeace, Lake ON Waterkeepers, Canadian Environmental Law Assoc., Ontario Sustainable Energy Assoc.

Act Now!

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1056> Guess the nuclear cost! – Bruce A Nuclear rebuild is now $2 billion over-budget. We are offering a $100 cash prize to the person with the closest estimate of the final cost of the Bruce A refurbishment project.

 <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1059> Send an email to ON Energy Minister Bentley and ask him to finish the coal phase-out in 2012 and invest in energy conservation rather than build or rebuild new nukes.

Order FREE copies of  <http://bit.ly/yi5jhb> Don’t Let Nuclear Projects Blow Our Electricity Bills through the Roof!  They contain postcards to Energy Minister Bentley. Distribute to your friends and neighbours.

----

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance