T.O. Greenspiration Events - No more Fukushimas!

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Mar 11 20:57:16 EDT 2012

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

Mar. 11 marks the first anniversary of the Fukushima nuclear disaster wherein 3 nuclear reactors melted down and released radiation around the planet. Join me to learn more about Ontario's plans to build a whole new generation of nuclear reactors, the green energy that could meet all our electricity needs, and how you can help move ON onto a healthier energy path. Film night on Fri. and Teach-in on Sunday. Deets below.
-angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Shadowlands: From Chernobyl to Fukushima – Photo Exhibit not to miss!

Showing until Sun. March 18 at 918 Bathurst (north of Bloor)
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/shadowlands/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

White Water Black Gold at the Carlton Cinema

Director David Lavallee's White Water Black Gold screens March 9-15 at the Carlton Cinema, 20 Carlton Street, Toronto.

For full schedule click here.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Eco Friendly House-mate Needed (High Park)

Sharing with Like-Minded Folks Co-creating an Environmental Sensitivities Sanctuary, Keele and Bloor, Available March 15th, Rent: Fair Market Value

http://toronto.en.craigslist.ca/tor/roo/2893654112.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Activism in Action - Practical skills for effective social change

Develop effective strategies for nonviolent social change in a series of six evening workshops

March 12th – Activism 10 Commandments and Self Care with Angela Bischoff
March 19th - Human Rights framework with Josephine Grey
March 26th - Using the Media with Ulli Diemer of Sources
April 2nd - Gaining support for your cause – outreach and alt media - Gelek Badheytsang
April  16th  - Lobbying and letter writing – with Cheryl McNamara, Citizens Climate Lobby
April 23rd -  Using technology – Facebook and video (TBC)

Mondays 6:30-9:30pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave.  2 bl n. of Bloor St. at Bedford Ave. (n. of St. George TTC)
$150 for the series or $25 per session - ask about a sliding scale spot if cost is a barrier
For more info: 416-731-6605 or 416-596-7328 or email: peaceworks at primus.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dr. David Healy in Toronto
Human Values as Normative Propositions Behind Design of Pharmacotherapy Processes
a conversational workshop with David Healy, speaking on: The Eclipse of Medical Care
Monday, March 12, 4-6 p.m. followed by reception
Fitzgerald Building, 150 College St, Rm 103

Contact: Peter Pennefather; 416-978-6607, p.pennefather at utoronto.ca
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3096932007

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vigil for the Afghan civilians killed in Panjwai

Monday March 12, 7 pm - 8 pm
US Embassy, 360 University Avenue (just north of Queen)

http://afghansforpeace.org/archives/2178     https://www.facebook.com/events/148421338613541/

Endorsed by: Afghans for Peace, Toronto Coalition to Stop the War, Canadian Peace Alliance

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Girls Learning Code March Break Camp

March 12 - March 16, 8 am – 5 pm
Mozilla, Suite 500, 366 Adelaide Street West

Founded by the women who introduced the not-for-profit Ladies Learning Code in 2011, and run as part of the same organization, Girls Learning Code is less about “code” and more about changing the world – through teamwork, creativity, and, of course, technology. This camp experience will help 40 of Toronto’s most creative 11-14 year old girls will participate in the city’s only all-girls technology camp of its kind, designed to help girls see technology as a medium for self-expression and a means for changing the world… read more

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

But, It's a Dry Heat… Climate Warming, the Oceans, and Drought in Southwestern North America

Tues. Mar. 13, 3:30 p.m.
Sid Smith Hall, 100 St. George St., Rm 2117

with Glen MacDonald, U of California at Los Angeles (Distinguished Lecturer Series, Centre for Global Change Science)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lessons in Permaculture

Tuesday March 13th, 2-4pm
South Dining Room, Hart House, UofT.

A free event hosted by Dig In Campus Agriculture + Hart House Farm Committee
Learn more about the holistic practice of permaculture, a sustainable land use practice and concept whereby communities and agricultural systems are based on the inter-relationships found in natural ecosystems.
Featuring a presentation of what’s growing locally by Toyin Coker, founder of The Permaculture Project GTA and a screening of a short documentary from the UMass Permaculture project. Light snacks provided plus discussion!
http://www.facebook.com/occupygardenstoronto#!/events/225879880842308/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------
Climate change, freshwater management, and the role of science
Tuesday, March 13, 9:30 a.m. (reception at 8:30 a.m.)
Vivian and David Campbell Conference Facility, 1 Devonshire Place
Speakers: Scott Vaughan, Federal Environment Commissioner; Gord Miller, Provincial Environment Commissioner; David McLaughlin, President and CEO of the National Round Table on the Environment and the Economy
This event will examine the effects and impacts of climate change on Canada’s water resources. The role that scientific research and monitoring play in understanding the state of freshwater resources and informing policy and program decisions will be explored as well as the important linkages between water use and the natural resource sectors in Canada.
Registration and More info

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Day of Action in Solidarity with the Quebec Student Strike

Tues. March 13, noon
Sidney Smith Hall on St. George, U of T
https://www.facebook.com/events/314672458591342/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ahimsa and the “Science” of Living: The Jain Path to Environmental Well-Being

Wed. Mar. 14, 4:10 p.m.
Room 1190, Bahen Centre, 40 St. George St, U of T

with Smita Kothari, Ph.D. Candidate, Department of Religion and the Centre for Environment, University of Toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NFB's Free Favourites at 4 presents:

Wanted! Doctor on Horseback

Wed. March 14, 4 p.m.
NFB, 150 John St. (south of Queen)
Free

When Dr. Mary Percy left England for northern Alberta in 1929, the clock turned back a century. She became the first and only doctor in Canada's last homesteading area. She once operated on her kitchen table. At 90, the doctor is a gifted raconteur. "People these days would call it a challenge. I thought it was hilarious," she says.

http://www.onf-nfb.gc.ca/eng/mediatheque/schedule.php?id=2832

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Culture War in Iran

Thur. Mar. 15, 4 - 6 p.m.
Rm. 87, University College, U of T (15 Kings College Circle)
Free. All welcome

with Mohamad Tavakoli, Professor of History, Historical Studies, and Near and Middle Eastern Civilizations, University of Toronto

Co-Sponsored  by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Centre for Environment, University of Toronto presents:

Traffic-Related Air Pollution and Acute Changes in Heart Rate Variability and Respiratory Function in Urban Cyclists

Thur. Mar. 15, 4:10 p.m.
Room 1170, Bahen Centre for Information Technology, 40 St. George Street.

with Scott Weichenthal, Health Canada, Air Health Effects Science Division

No registration or fee required; all are welcome.
Visit www.environment.utoronto.ca for schedule updates, abstracts and speakers' bios.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vigil against vivisection at University of Toronto

Thursday, March 15, 11:45 am - 2 pm
In front of Ramsey Wright Zoological Laboratories, SW corner of Harbord & St. George, U of T

The University of Toronto kills 50,000 vertebrates a year. Most of them (85%) are mice and rats, who are considered mere "models" for scientific experiments. This is morally wrong, because mice and rats and the other animals tortured in these hideous experiments are sentient, feeling beings, our fellow Earthlings. They should not be treated this way. Learn about the humane alternatives to the use of animals in science from Interniche.ca or other sources; find out about other students who have opted out of using animals and done successful research and completed their degrees.

https://www.facebook.com/events/408507725832424/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Immorality of our Crime Policy
A Lecture by Edward L. Greenspan, QC

Thursday March 15, 7 pm
Noor Cultural Centre (123 Wynford Drive, Toronto - just off the DVP; also accessible by bus)
Free

www.noorculturalcentre.ca or https://www.facebook.com/events/174147362697005/ for more details.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Nuke Night - Double Feature

To commemorate the first anniversary of the Fukushima nuclear catastrophe, join us for a double-feature film night:

- From Chernobyl to Fukushima: A Campaigners Journey  This film documents the Greenpeace's Shawn-Patrick Stensil’s journey to Chernobyl and Fukushima, to learn more about these global nuclear disasters in the effort to stop the Ontario government from building new reactors at Darlington. Shawn-Patrick to speak following the screening.
- The 4th Revolution: Energy Autonomy  Need a dose of hope? This fantastic German documentary envisions a world powered by 100% renewable energy, and profiles existing pioneer projects in 10 countries. Jose Etcheverry to speak following the screening.

Fri. March 16, 7 p.m.
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
$5 (or pay-what-you-can)

For more info:  stephen.d.g.cornwell at gmail.com
https://www.facebook.com/events/244896588932733/

Co-sponsored by: Toronto Climate Campaign, Peace and Social Action Committee of Toronto Friends Meeting (Quakers), Greenpeace, Ontario Clean Air Alliance, and Don’t Nuke T.O.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Reclaiming Our Bodies and Minds: Disability, Oppresion, Action! Conference

Fri. - Sun, March 16th, 6pm - March 18th, 6pm
Ryerson University Student Campus Centre, 55 Gould Street, Toronto, Ontario

http://www.facebook.com/events/261933367190315/

Reclaiming our Bodies and Minds: Disability, Oppression, Action! is a collaborative space for communities to come together, learn, network, and develop skills. We acknowledge that people with disabilities have a diverse range of experiences. However, one experience that is consistent is that of disempowerment. As people with disabilities it is our time to reclaim our bodies and minds, take control of the services we use, and work with our allies to achieve the freedom and autonomy we deserve.

Through a weekend of presentations, workshops, dialogue, arts, and engagement, participants will gain skills and knowledge to apply to community organizing, self-advocacy, systemic advocacy, and experiences in post-secondary institutions. We will spend the weekend exploring concepts of freedom, autonomy, and empowerment in order to reclaim services, experiences, and our bodies and minds! If you are interested in submitting a proposal please see the call for proposals section. Please pre-register using our registration form, found on the registration page.

All fees are on a sliding scale or pay what you can. Registration fees will be collected at the registration table on the conference date. We ask that you pre-register.   * Professionals: $30-$50   * Community Member: $10-$20   * Student: Free
For more information, to register, or to submit a proposal please go to http://ryeaccess.ca/index.php?section_id=33

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fight Poverty and Demand: A Living Income! Housing! Quality Public Services for All!
Solidarity Against Austerity - Rally and March

Friday, March 16, noon
College and Bay St, Toronto (Outside the Ministry of Housing)

Join the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty (OCAP) and allies for a march and rally on Friday, March 16th, in the lead up to the 2012 Provincial Budget. The McGuinty government has hired former head of the TD bank, Don Drummond, to propose and provide the basis for massive social cutbacks in their 2012 budget. It is being drafted as the Provincial component of the austerity agenda that is gathering force across Canada and internationally. City Hall, Queen`s Park and Ottawa are delivering austerity, but clearly it is being cooked-up on Bay Street by bankers like Drummond to the benefit of their rich friends.

www.ocap.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Whose Borders?
Film Screening presented by No One is Illegal

Friday, 16 March, 7:30 - 9:30 pm
Palmerston Library Theatre, 560 Palmerston Ave., North of Bloor St. W., west of Bathurst Subway Station
*The Theatre and Washrooms are Wheelchair Accessible*
*Free/PWYC!*

An evening of politics, popcorn and picture shows where we highlight issues of indigenous sovereignty, migration, resistance, and together ask "Whose Borders?"

*Enemy Alien (dir. Konrad Aderer, 81 mins.): The gripping story of the fight to free Farouk Abdel-Muhti, a Palestinian-born human  rights activist detained in a post-9/11 sweep of Muslim immigrants. Told through the eyes of the filmmaker, the grandson of Japanese Americans held in internment camps during World War II, this documentary provides an intimate look at detention regimes past and present.

*Kanawayandan D'aaki - Protecting Our Land (Praxis Pictures, 12 mins): Kitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI) First Nation has governed and cared for their indigenous homelands since time immemorial. This is a short film about their ongoing struggle against the theft of their land and resources by resource extraction companies and the government, and a call for action, solidarity and support.

**Plus speakers from the Mohammed Mahjoub Support Committee and the KI Support Committee**

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

DVD Screening of Awakening: Empowering Women Through Microloans

Friday, March 16, 9-11pm
758 Bathurst St, Alternative Thinking Bookstore (south of Bloor)

View Trailer > http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=JfnXYleKIfM
View Website > http://www.choicesvideo.net/prdct_pgs/awakening.html

Awakening documents the social and economic empowerment of women in Afghanistan and India whose roles have traditionally been restricted by their cultures. Awakened to new possibilities through education and access to micro-loans these women are redefining their roles in society. In Bihar, India's poorest state, Sister Mary Lobo organizes village women into groups where they learn to save small sums and invest their capital as a group. In Afghanistan, the nation's first woman-led micro-finance institution believes the nation's long-term success is dependent on women's economic freedom.

http://www.alternative-thinking.com/events

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Direct Action Workshop

Saturday, March 17,  11 am - 5 pm.

Direct action has played an integral role in most movements for social change, from the civil rights era to the suffragettes, and from forest defense to worker justice movements. This workshop is for people who are newer to direct action and are interested in learning about different kinds of direct action, as well as the basics of when, why and how to integrate direct action into your campaigns. Topics to be covered include: campaign strategy, choosing an action that suits your goals, building your action team, common roles in a direct action, decision making at actions, basic safety considerations, and escalation and de-escalation during actions.

Trainers: David Sone is a campaigner with Earthroots, and Natalie Caine is the volunteer organizer with Greepeace Canada.
Register: http://www.toolsforchange.net/2011/12/05/direct-action-workshop/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Public consultations on a Canadian Department of Peace

Saturday March 17th, 1 - 3 pm
Friend's House, 60 Lowther Avenue (St. George subway station)

Bill C-373: An Act to Create the Department of Peace was introduced and had first reading in The House of Commons on November 30th, 2011. It was tabled by NDP MP Alex Atamanenko, seconded by Liberal MP Jim Karygiannis and Green Party MP Elizabeth May.
Bill C-373 is to be presented for second reading during the 41st Parliament. In preparation, a series of public consultations will be held across Canada during the next few months.

The commissioners for the Toronto consultations are Metta Spencer, Professor Emeritus, Author and Editor of Peace Magazine, Borys Wrzesnewskyj, former Liberal MP for Etobicoke Centre, and Toronto Star columnist, journalist and University of Toronto's Centre for the Environment Dr. Stephen Scharper. They bring a wealth of knowledge, experience and passion for a better world to inspire this conversation.

For more info: Rob Acheson, Canadian Peace Initiative  (H) 905-509-3903 (W) 416-493-9193

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

New College Speaker Series 2012 In collaboration with the Art Gallery of Ontario And the School of Disability Studies at Ryerson University presents

Sins Invalid: 'An unshamed claim to beauty in the face of invisibility'

Featuring performances by: Alex Carafelli, Leah Lakshmi, Piepzna-Samarasinha and Leroy Moore

Saturday, March 17, 7 - 10 pm
Art Gallery of Ontario, Weston Family Learning Centre, 317 Dundas St., Beverly Street Entrance

FREE admission, ASL interpretation, Wheelchair accessible

SINS INVALID is a performance project that incubates and celebrates artists with disabilities, centralizing artists of color and queer and gender-variant artists as communities who have been historically marginalized. Our performance work explores the themes of sexuality, embodiment and the disabled body. Conceived and led by disabled people of color, we develop and present cutting-edge work where normative paradigms of "normal" and "sexy" are challenged, offering instead a vision of beauty and sexuality inclusive of all individuals and communities.

We define disability broadly to include people with physical impairments, people who belong to a sensory minority, people with emotional disabilities, people with cognitive challenges, and those with chronic/severe illness. We understand the experience of disability to occur within any and all walks of life, with deeply felt connections to all communities impacted by the medicalization of their bodies, including trans, gender variant and intersex people, and others whose bodies do not conform to our culture(s)' notions of "normal" or "functional."

Sponsored by: Equity Studies Program (New College), Ryerson School of Disability Studies, Dept. of Sociology and Equity Studies (OISE), Art
Gallery of Ontario, Students for Barrier-Free Access (UT), RyeAccess, Centre for Diaspora and Transnational Studies (UT), Equity Studies Student Union (UT) and R3 collective. Official event of RyeAccess' 'Reclaiming our bodies and minds' conference. Part of ESSU's Disability Studies Week 2012

Find out more about Sins Invalid: http://www.sinsinvalid.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Out The Window

March 17-20 and 25, 7pm
The Theatre Centre, 1087 Queen St West, at Dovercourt
$25
To book: 416-538-0988 or via T.O.TIX

Out The Window is a powerful piece of theatre that charts playwright Liza Balkan‘s multi-year journey through the justice system and beyond after coming forward as a witness to an event involving the death of a man during an altercation with the police. The man’s name was Otto Vass, and Liza witnessed his final moments from her apartment window in August 2000.

Through the use of compelling court transcripts and interviews, and a creative team that includes acclaimed actors RH Thomson, David Ferry and Julie Tepperman, Dora Award winning designers Trevor Schwellnus, Michelle Ramsay and Thomas Ryder Payne, BRAIN creator Aislinn Rose, associate director Shari Hollett and Liza herself… Out The Window explores complex issues surrounding policing, accountability, memory, truth, perspective, mental health, law and theatre.

Selected Out The Window performances will be followed by post-show discussions featuring community activist Anna Willats, renowned human rights lawyer Paul Copeland, Former Mayor of Toronto & co-ordinator of the Toronto Police Accountability Coalition John Sewell, Deputy Chief of Police Mike Federico, Dr. Sandy Simpson, Head of Law and Mental Health Program at the Department of Psychiatry at UofT, Jennifer Chambers of The Empowerment Council, Dr. David Goldbloom, Senior Medical Advisor, Education and Public Affairs at CAMH, and Activist/Lawyer/Mathematician Peter Rosenthal.

http://www.outthewindowcollective.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Scarborough Seedy Saturday - Heron Park Recreation Centre

Sat. Mar 17, 12 - 4 pm
292 Manse Road ( at Lawrence Ave E) - 5 blocks S/E of Kingston Rd and Lawrence E
A community seed exchange
Workshops for both novice and experienced gardeners
Local seed and food vendors
Backyard gardening, composting, Beekeepers.Orchids
Live Green eco info, enviro and outdoor activity info
Stewardship opportunities
Gardening Gurus to answer your questions
Sharing knowledge and connecting with your gardening community

For Info: katie at ecospark.ca 416-691-5173 ,  for vendor lists - www.tcgn.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Complete Street Band - Opening Meeting

Saturday March 17, 2 - 4 pm
St. Stephen in the Fields Church, 103 Bellevue Ave. (Bellevue & College)

Do you have a desire to enliven Toronto's public spaces and community events through music?  If so, then you definitely want to come to the inaugural rehearsal and general meeting of The Complete Street Band!  Musicians of all ages and musical abilities are welcome. Simply bring your acoustic instrument (and a sheet music stand, if you have one) and I'll provide the rest.  Trumpet, saxophone, drums, banjo, melodica... so long as you don't have to plug it in it is welcome.  Even if you're not sure you want to join the band, this is the perfect opportunity to learn more about what it is all about.

Let me know if you intend on coming to the first rehearsal and please pass this information along to anyone else who may be interested in being a part of this exciting new band.  -  completestreetband at gmail.com

http://bikeunion.to/event/2012/03/09/complete-street-band-opening-meeting?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Fukushima to Toronto: A Town Hall

Sun. Mar. 18, 1 – 5 p.m.
918 Bathurst (just north of Bloor)
$5 (or pwyc)

Workshops, panels, discussions on the Fukushima nuclear disaster, why it matters in Ontario, and how Torontonians can stop nuclear expansion and build a 100% renewable Ontario.

Speakers from Ontario Clean Air Alliance, Greenpeace, Lake ON Waterkeepers, Canadian Environmental Law Assoc., Ontario Sustainable Energy Assoc.

https://www.facebook.com/events/172177626228128/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Homelessness in Toronto - with Cathy Crowe

Sunday March 18th, 10:30am
Don Heights Unitarian - 18 Wynford Drive, #102 (Don Mills/Eglinton)

416-444-8839  http://www.donheights.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Permaculture Design Course - Co-Creating Regenerative Futures for the City and Beyond

April 27th - May 12th, 2012

100 Hours of Teaching and Learning
Various Locations in Toronto and Surroundings

Read more and register here: http://gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents/permaculturecourse.html

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in