T.O. Greenspiration Events: cultures of resistance

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Apr 1 18:26:30 EDT 2012

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Cultivate T.O. One Garden at a Time - Receive Local Fresh Vegetables

Be part of an urban CSA (Community Shared Agriculture)! As a shareholder, you will receive a weekly share of local produce that is picked up from our three farm hubs: Wychwood, Dovercourt, and Riverdale. Weekly shares are available over an approximate 18 week growing season (plus or minus one or two weeks depending on produce availability). All of our produce is harvested the day you pick up your share… you don’t get much fresher than that! The cost of participating will be on a sliding scale, from $350-$450 for the entire 2012 growing season.  Please contact Erik at erik at cultivatetoronto.com or at 416-731-3991 to sign up as a shareholder or to find out more.  http://cultivatetoronto.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Permaculture Design Course - register now!
April 27 - May 12
Co-Creating Regenerative Futures for the City and Beyond. Hosted by Garden Jane and Jillian Hovey.
Click http://gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents/permaculturecourse.html for more information and registration.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Air Pollution – Prevention vs. Treatment – a letter to Premier McGuinty
http://www.ecopolitics.ca/airpol/prevention_vs_treatment.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Enbridge Pipeline Protest and Hunger Strike

Sunday, April 1, 4 p.m. - Tuesday, April 3, 4 p.m.
Queen's Park

The students and staff of Bella Bella Community School (in British Columbia) are standing together in opposition to the proposed Enbridge Pipeline that would bring supertankers filled with oil along the coast of the Great Bear Rainforest, jeopardizing the environment upon which we rely for sustenance, both physical and spiritual. They are asking that we join them in 48-hour hunger strike from April 1st at 4 pm to April 3rd at 4 pm. This strike coincides with the Enbridge hearings in their community. They hope to open a dialogue with other concerned students from around the province and communicate through video conferencing during the hunger strike. They would like us to join us in our strike and help make a statement that can't be ignored.

Learn more about the fast: http://www.pacificfreepress.com/news/1/11050-bella-bella-student-hunger-strike-against-proposed-enbridge-pipeline.html
http://www.bellabella.ca/bbcs.htm   https://www.facebook.com/events/141427759320259/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

That's Women's Work Arts Network presents...
Free Monthly Women's Entrepreneurial Meet-up / support group

First meeting: Monday, April 2, noon - 2 pm
28 Columbus Ave.

That's Women's Work Arts Network would like to invite all those self employed women to a monthly meet up where we can chat, share resources, and let's face it, vent! Funding, the balance of administration, advertising, branding, work/ life balance, the whole gamut. No set themes. FREE.
Taking place at the TWWAN office, so there are no obligations to buy anything.  You'll need to rsvp so that I can have coffee and snacks. I usually always do vegan with a few varieties of treats. Be sure to let me know about allergies.

The first Monday of every month: Monday April 2nd, Monday May 7th , Monday June 4th
https://www.facebook.com/events/329697307090084/   647-361-9244   michellevanlooy at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebrity Vegan Speakers

Monday, April 2nd - Oakham House – Room D, Ryerson (near Yonge and Dundas)

Kimberly Carroll (www.BeVeg.ca) – 5-5:30pm
Doug McNish (TVA Iron Chef) – 5:30-6pm
Candice Schreiber (nutritionist) – 6-6:30pm
Angela Sandrowicz (Toronto Veg Families Group) – 6:30-6:45pm
Paul York (U of T Animal Rights Club) – 6:45-7:15pm

RSVP @ http://veganclubguestspeaker1.eventbrite.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Outreach Skills and Alternative Media

Monday April 2, 6:30 – 9:30 pm
Friends House, 60 Lowther Ave. (St. George subway)
$15 - $25 or pwyc.  Register: peaceworks at primus.ca

Gelek Badheytsang is a Tibetan refugee who was born in Nepal and moved to Toronto, Canada in 2001. Owing to his background, interests and skills, he has accumulated a wide range of experience working in areas such as community development, youth empowerment, immigration, environment, art, human rights and activism. He was a board member of Students for a Free Tibet Canada, and was one of the main organizers of their campaigns in Toronto during the Beijing Olympics 2008. Gelek dabbles in photography and writing, some of which have slipped out of his computer and into publication and exhibition. He was selected as a member of Maytree and Toronto City Summit Alliance's DiverseCity Fellows 2010. He is a blogger for Toronto Star's "Your City, My City" section. He was the Communications Director of Greenest City, a community and environmental organization based in Parkdale in 2009 – 2010.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Occupy Toronto Alternate General Assembly

Mon. April 2, 7 p.m.
Cloud Gardens (on Richmond between Yonge and Bay)

As many of you are aware, persistent issues with the current General Assembly (GA) process have resulted in many individuals and groups feeling ineffectual and/or unsafe and thus unwilling and/or unable to discuss and organize in that environment. As a response to these ongoing problems, some members of Occupy Toronto have decided to try something new!  A once per week GA will be held using a consensus building process with a 90% decision-making rule; a safe-space agreement and trained facilitation. In addition, we will begin to explore language around decolonization to supplement the Occupy meme in order to address serious concerns regarding its associations.

We are very excited to invite you as well as any and all people who will be respectful of the space to come out and join us for the first new to discuss the upcoming May Day rally and actions including potential Re-occupation!  We ask that any proposals be submitted to the facilitation team by Sunday night, 9 pm at occupytoproposals at gmail.com. Please send any general questions to occupytoreboot at gmail.com

Love, Respect and Solidarity,
Occupy Toronto

***Important note: The Occupy movement is one of free association. As such this GA makes no claims to being the sole, superior or more powerful GA. It is simply an equal but different kind of space that we feel will be more conducive to discussing, organizing and mobilizing around supported and cooperative action!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The CBC: Past, Present and Future, if any

Mon. April 2, 6 p.m.
Samara, 33 Prince Arthur, Toronto,
Free. Pre-register: couch at couchiching.ca

Couchiching Institute talk by Eric Koch on the future of the CBC and public broadcasting in Canada.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Echoes of a Working Eden: Conversation with Graeme Gibson

Mon. April 2, 7 p.m.
Gardiner Museum, 111 Queen's Park
Pre-register rsvp at reviewcanada.ca

The author and naturalist talks about why we should be spending more time in nature.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free Veg*an Week @ Ryerson

Apri. 2 - 5 at Ryerson
Speakers, bazaar, cook-off, cooking classes, films

https://www.facebook.com/events/149129105208461/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sports Fields Town Hall

Tues. April 3, 7 p.m.
Toronto CIty Hall (Queen and Bay)

All City Councillors and the Mayor have been invited to meet with concerned residents at City Hall to hear your thoughts and concerns about the new sports field fees. No deputations are allowed at the City Council meeting on April 10, so this will be your opportunity to make your voice heard by all who attend! Children and families are welcome!

https://www.facebook.com/events/327705083953063/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Getting Unstuck: Cultivating Change through Creativity & Connection

Tues. April 3, 6 pm - 9 pm
CSI Annex, Meeting Room 1, 720 Bathurst St.

Explore what’s keeping you “stuck” and blocking positive change in aspects of your life. This workshop will provide a supportive environment to acknowledge your dissatisfaction and learn about the process of nurturing desired change. Through lecture, dialogue, and creative activities, Life Coach Nicola Holmes will address common obstacles to initiating and sustaining change in your life and share tools and resources for overcoming old habits and generating new possibilities…

http://socialinnovation.ca/event/getting-unstuck-cultivating-change-through-creativity-connection

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cultures of Resistance

Tues. April 3, 6:30 p.m.
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)
Admission is by donation and guest speakers will be in attendance.

Does each gesture really make a difference? Can music and dance be weapons of peace? In 2003, on the eve of the Iraq war, director Iara Lee embarked on a journey to better understand a world increasingly embroiled in conflict and, as she saw it, heading for self-destruction. After several years, travelling over five continents, Iara encountered growing numbers of people who committed their lives to promoting change. This is their story. From IRAN, where graffiti and rap became tools in fighting government repression, to BURMA, where monks acting in the tradition of Gandhi take on a dictatorship, moving on to BRAZIL, where musicians reach out to slum kids and transform guns into guitars, and ending in PALESTINIAN refugee camps in LEBANON, where photography, music, and film have given a voice to those rarely heard, CULTURES OF RESISTANCE explores how art and creativity can be ammunition in the battle for peace and justice.

Featuring: Medellín poets for peace, Capoeira masters from Brazil, Niger Delta militants, Iranian graffiti artists, women’s movement leaders in Rwanda, Lebanon’s refugee filmmakers, U.S. political pranksters, indigenous Kayapó activists from the Xingu River, Israeli dissidents, hip-hop artists from Palestine, and many more...
http://www.cinemapolitica.org/screening/bloor/cultures-resistance

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Parkdale Community Land Trust

Tuesday, 3 April, 4 - 6 pm
PARC 1499 Queen Street West

Come to PARC and join us for an exploration of a variety of questions about land trusts: What is an urban land trust? Who can it serve? Where could a land trust be used?

FB event - https://www.facebook.com/events/292587220813317/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Crash Course:  The Unsustainable Future of Our Economy, Energy and Environment

Chris Martenson’s course presented by Transition Toronto (TTo) and the Institute for a Resource-Based Economy (IRBE)

Tues. April 3, 6 - 9 p.m. – Solutions for the Community
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W., Room 2-212 (near St. George subway)
$10 or pwyc

This is a 4-part series, where we will screen a Chris Martenson DVD on each topic, followed by a facilitated discussion. We will also have a Potluck Dinner, so please bring your favourite dish to eat or share!

Registrations and inquiries to: transitiontoronto at gmail.com or Tel. 647-965-5604
Co-hosted by: www.transitiontoronto.ca and www.irbe.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebrity Vegan Speakers

Tuesday, April 3, 5 - 7:30 p.m.
Oakham House, Room A/B, Ryerson (near Yonge and Dundas)

- David Alexander (Director, Toronto Vegetarian Association) – 5-5:30pm
- Camille Labchuk (Mercy for Animals) – 5:30-6pm
- Anita Krajnc (Toronto Pig Save) – 6-6:30pm
- Sinem Ketenci (Social Workers for Animal Rights) – 6:30-7pm
- Mangalarti Devi Dasi (Bhakti Yoga Practitioner) – 7-7:30pm

RSVP @ http://veganclubguestspeaker2.eventbrite.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Future of Jarvis Public Town Hall

Tuesday, April 3rd, 6:30pm
Jarvis Collegiate Institute, 495 Jarvis Street (at Wellesley)

Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam wants to hear from the community about the future of Jarvis Street. If you are a cyclist, this is your chance to defend our bike lanes! When the Public Works Committee decided to rip out the bike lanes, Councillor Wong-Tam was not consulted nor was the public. Now she wants to give citizens a chance to be heard. This is a free public event, open to everyone If you support the bikelanes, join us at this meeting (and wear your helmet!).

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Escaping the Web of Debt
With Ellen Hodgson Brown

Tuesday, April 3, 7:30
Trinity/St. Paul's United Church, 427 Bloor St. West, 1 block west of Spadina (close to the TTC subway station)
Free

The Canadian and Ontario governments have just released "austerity" budgets that threaten our treasured public services, our pensions and the very quality of life in Canada. When will austerity ever stop? What will happen to our jobs, our social programs? Where did this massive debt come from? Who do we owe it to? How do we escape the WEB OF DEBT? Presentation followed by Q & A hosted by The Hon. Paul Hellyer (former Deputy Prime Minister, Government of Canada) and Ann Emmett (President, Committee on Monetary and Economic Reform - COMER).

For more info: Public_Banking_Institute at mail.vresp.com
http://www.webofdebt.com/   http://www.ellenbrown.com/   http://www.publicbankinginstitute.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

I am HUMAN - Where are My RIGHTS?
Come Out to a Panel Discussion About Human Rights Violations in Canada

Tues. April 3rd, 7-9pm
Ryerson University - Eric Palin Hall (87 Gerard Street East) Room 222

Panel Featuring: Josephine Grey, Melissa Palermo, Kaitlyn Hynd

There is over 14 million dollars in student debt in Canada (CFS). This number continues to grow as you read this. Did You Know: We have the right to Affordable Post-Secondary Education? We need to do something about this. -- Aboriginal Communities are living in Fourth World Conditions. Did you know: Access to Clean Drinking water is a Human Right? We need to provide access clean, safe drinking water to everyone. Why do we have to pay for It? -- April 2009 there were 5,086 people suffering from Homelessness in Toronto. Over 22,000 people used shelters in 2009. Did you know: We have the right to affordable housing? We need to do something about this. -- Numerous people were arrested and laws were broken during the G20 Toronto. Did You Know: We have the right to Freedom of Expression? We need to do something about this. DID YOU KNOW IN CANADA OUR HUMAN RIGHTS ARE BEING VIOLATED ON A DAILY BASIS? AND WE FAIL ON AN INTERNATIONAL LEVEL?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

9/11: Blueprint for Truth
Presentation by Richard Gage, the founder of Architects & Engineers for 9/11 Truth

Tues. April 3, 6:30 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor W

http://911justicecanada.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Seed Starting Workshop

Wednesday, April 4, 7 – 9 p.m.
The Bahen Centre (room B024), 40 St. George Street
Cost: $5 or pwyc

Come and learn about starting seedlings from Transition Toronto member and gardener YP Leung! She'll fill us in on timing, techniques, and best practices as we get our hands into some soil, the the soil into trays, and start growing our own food. Seed trays and organic herb and vegetable seeds will be provided. Bring a plastic bag so you can carry your seed trays home with you!

Info: www.transitiontoronto.ca or e-mail transitiontoronto at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Planet in Focus - Green Screens Monthly Screening Series presents:

There Once Was an Island

Wednesday, April 4, 7pm
NFB Mediatheque, 150 John St. (South of Queen)
Cost: $6

80 minutes | NEW ZEALAND, PAPUA NEW GUINEA | English, Takku, Tok Pidgin with English Subtitles
Winner of the Best International Feature Film at the Planet in Focus Environmental Film Festival

Shot over four years on the Takuu Atoll off the coast of Papua New Guinea, There Once Was an Island examines the ever-changing and very personal debate vexing clans indigenous to the flood-stricken and fast-eroding island chain. With negligible provisions arriving from the mainland and no government strategy for relocation, the Takuu community looks to ocean scientists to assess the viability of remaining on their homeland. The stories of three islanders poignantly highlight the direct impact of climate change in the South Pacific.

For more information, visit www.planetinfocus.org  http://www.meetup.com/DiscoverToronto/events/56187452/?a=me1p_grp&rv=me1p
Contact: info at planetinfocus.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Robocall Steve for Climate Action – Wed. April 4th

	• Start your own Robocall Steve for Climate Action day on April 4th!
	• Upload a video pledging to call Steve
	• Call Steve on Wed. April 4th at 1-613-992-4211 and share this message:

Hi Steve, this is [insert your name], and I’m calling from [insert your location].
And I have a message for you.  I’m calling to talk about climate change.
It’s real and it’s happening.  And it’s negatively impacting Canadians everywhere.
Something needs to be done, Steve.  There is no Planet B.
We have to live with the decisions you make, Steve.
Make Canada a Climate Leader, not a Climate Loser. Do it for us.

For more info:  www.callsteveday.wordpress.com
Twitter: @callsteveday   Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/#!/​events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Council of Canadians (Toronto) monthly meeting

Wednesday, April 4, 7 – 9 p.m.
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen St. West, room 4
Free!

Join us at our April monthly meeting! All welcome. Our guest speaker is Stan Gibson from Ecologos.
We will also have updates from our 2012 Water Forum and info on the upcoming Ontario-Quebec regional meeting.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Welcome to Canada?

Wednesday, April 4, Refugee Rights Day, noon – 1:30 pm
Thomas Lounge, Oakham House, Ryerson University. 63 Gould Street @ Church

A Lunch and Learn on the latest Immigration and Refugee Bill C-31 with:
- Nathalie Des Rosiers, General Counsel, Canadian Civil Liberties Association
- Myer Siematycki, Professor Ryerson Centre for immigration and Settlement Studies.
- Avvy Go, Clinic Director, Metro Toronto and Southeast Asian Legal Clinic
Lunch will be provided

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bicycle Birthday Bash - a Benefit for My First Wheels
Games, prizes and other surprises.

Wed. April 4, 7 - 9 p.m.
Harbourfront Community Centre, 627 Queens Quay W
Admission: $12

http://myfirstwheels.ca/mfw/home.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Blue Gold: World Water Wars (90 minutes)

Thur. April 5, 7 PM
Ralph Thornton Community Centre, 2nd floor, 765 Queen St. E. at Saulter St. (2 blocks east of Broadview Ave.)

Director Jason Van Bruggen and Carl Cosack of NDACT will be present to discuss the mega quarry.
Featured NGO: North Dufferin Agricultural Community Taskforce.

In every corner of the globe, we are polluting, diverting, pumping and wasting our limited supply of fresh water at an exponential level as population and technology grows. The rampant overdevelopment of agriculture, housing and industry increase the demands for fresh water well beyond the finite supply, resulting in the desertification of the earth. Corporate giants force developing countries to privatize their water supply for profit. Wall Street investors target desalination and mass bulk water export schemes. Corrupt governments use water for economic and political gain. Military control of water emerges and a new geopolitical map and power structure forms, setting the stage for world water wars.

http://ecologos.ca/waterdocs-program-details2012/#march-22

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Crisis in the Congo: Uncovering the Truth
Film screening and discussion with Congolese guests from Eglise du Christ au Congo.

Thur. April 5, 6:30 p.m.
Steelworkers Hall, 25 Cecil St. (near Spadina and College)

For more info: 416-463-5312

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Should We Be Afraid? Real and Imagined Security Threats 10 years after 9/11
with Mark Sedra, Senior Fellow, Centre for International Governance Innovation and U. of Waterloo

Thur. April 5, 4 - 6 p.m.
Rm. 87, University College, U of T (15 Kings College Circle)
Free. All welcome

Co-Sponsored  by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Global Warming -- Fact or Fiction? Presentation From 2 Experts On Climate Change
With Lee Norton and Adriana Mugnatto-Hamu

Thursday, April 5, 2012, 6:30 PM
North York Civic Centre Council Chambers (North York Centre subway station)
Free
http://www.meetup.com/CLIMATE-CHANGE-Toronto/events/50919312/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ecumenical Good Friday Walk for Justice - Our Crucial Journey

Fri. April 6, 2 - 4:30 p.m.
Starting at Holy Trinity Church, just west of Eaton Centre

This year's walk will visit various outside stations as walkers learn about contemporary places of suffering at the hands of power in our society. It closes with an offering and a simple meal of bread and soup.

For details, email egfw at goodfridaywalk.ca or http://www.goodfridaywalk.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mass Demonstration to End Police Violence Toronto

Friday, 6 April, 5 - 8 pm
52 Division, Toronto Police Service, 255 Dundas street west (at University)

https://www.facebook.com/events/217863461648147/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Community Passover Seder

Fri. April 6, 7:15 p.m.
Miles Nadal JCC, 750 Spadina

Enjoy the holiday of freedom with family and friends at an inspirational seder that includes four cups of wine (or grape juice) and a gourmet Passover dinner in a royal and traditional setting. Seder is led by Rabbi Deitsch.

Pre-register http://mnjcc.org/holidays-a-celebrations/236-community-passover-seder

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Working in the Neoliberal University

Greater Toronto Workers Assembly coffeehouse discussion with CUPE's Sarah Hornstien and others.

Fri. April 6, 7 p.mm.
Regal Beagle, 335 Bloor W.
416-591-6859

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Marx Reloaded

Cinema Politica Danforth film screening and discussion with author Sam Gindin

Fri. April 6, 7:30 p.m.
Centre of Gravity, 1300 Gerrard E

cinemapolitica.org/danforth

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Addressing Conflict, Confronting Privilege Workshop

Sat. April 7, 1 - 5 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor W, Room 5250 (St. George subway)
$20 or pwyc

Activist groups are constantly grappling with internal conflict - this workshop looks at conflict with an awareness of structural oppression, providing a framework for thinking about how power and privilege play out in groups, and how to challenge and confront oppressive behaviour. The facilitators will create space for dialogue on thinking through privilege within critical spaces. The workshop will also provide participants with space to roleplay conflict scenarios. .

http://www.toolsforchange.net/2012/02/22/addressing-conflict-confronting-privilege-workshop/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in