No Nukes News: No on our Great Lakes

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Jun 1 15:12:49 EDT 2012

No Nukes News

June 1, 2012 – Please pass this onto a friend!

>From a report from Waterloo, May 31, 2012: When asked for his views on Nuclear Power, Bill McKibbon <http://www.350.org/bill>  said it's like burning $10 bills for fuel. It's an outrageous expense is not needed when Green Energy infrastructure choices exist and have proven cheaper. Bill supports integrated energy systems with solar, wind, over centralized energy infrastructure. It's cheaper & safer and decentralized to spread the benefits over a wider demographic. Makes a lot more jobs than centralized energy systems and holds far less risk. He celebrated Germany reaching 50% of its energy using solar. Green jobs are making a difference. More employment than oil.

Canada

☢  <http://bit.ly/L1Y2UA> 'Not on our Great Lakes' - Anti-nuclear activist criticizes proposed Ontario waste site If an accident happened at the Deep Geologic Repository for low and intermediate level radioactive waste, proposed for Ontario's Bruce Peninsula on Lake Huron, it would be an unprecedented ecological disaster for the Great Lakes and it would jeopardize a central function of the lakes - providing drinking water to 40 million residents of North America.

☢  <http://bit.ly/LCTTHp> We can’t turn a blind eye any longer to nuclear waste A packed council chambers in Saugeen Shores, where I now live, stood in stunned amazement as its local council — once again — took a huge step toward changing the face of this lakeside community with no discussion, no debate. Absolutely none.

☢  <http://bit.ly/KLgpkA> Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission Announces Three Separate Radioactive Spills in Month of May Commission downplays risk to public and environment

☢  <http://bit.ly/Li40Ru> Nuclear, not wind, solar, driving up costs It turns out that nuclear energy is responsible for 45 per cent of our electricity generation cost increases: fully 7.5 times more than wind and solar, and that’s just for operating our existing nuclear plants. We haven’t even begun to see costs from the proposed new nuclear plants yet.

The World

☢  <http://bbc.in/KMb3FQ> Bluefin tuna record Fukushima radioactivity Pacific Bluefin tuna caught off the coast of California have been found to have radioactive contamination from last year's Fukushima nuclear accident. The case illustrats how migratory species can carry pollution over vast distances.

☢  <http://nyti.ms/JS3jya> Japan’s Former Leader Condemns Nuclear Power “Gorbachev said in his memoirs that the Chernobyl accident exposed the sicknesses of the Soviet system,” Mr. Kan said, referring to the 1986 explosion of a reactor in Ukraine, which spewed radiation across a wide swath of Europe. “The Fukushima accident did the same for Japan.”

☢  <http://nyti.ms/KRgX4g> Spent Fuel Rods Drive Growing Fear Over Plant in Japan

☢  <http://nyti.ms/KQXJBr> Utility Says It Underestimated Radiation Released in Japan

☢  <http://nyti.ms/L97Vln> Walking the Streets of a Nuclear Ghost Town

☢  <http://www.i-sis.org.uk/Chernobyl_Deaths_Top_a_Million.php> Chernobyl Deaths Top a Million Based on Real Evidence Medical records from contaminated areas speak for themselves; doctors, scientists and citizens bear witness to the devastating health impacts of radioactive fallout from nuclear accidents - Institute of Science in Society

☢  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCcX11Kc3Wc&feature=email> Germany's Movement Away from Nuclear Energy: A Conversation with Kevin Kamps 4 min. video

☢  <http://aje.me/KVgKij> The biggest climate victory you never heard of - The fight against coal in the US has achieved great success due to activists' passion and commitment. Like the Occupy Wall Street movement, the Beyond Coal campaign has shown that the status quo is not all-powerful. When large numbers of people unite around a compelling critique of the existing order and build political power at the local level, they can change the world. And perhaps even the planet.

Renewables

☢  <http://tinyurl.com/co29zab> Germany sets new solar power record German solar power plants produced a world record 22 gigawatts of electricity per hour - equal to 20 nuclear power stations at full capacity, nearly 50 percent of the nation's midday electricity needs.

☢  <http://bit.ly/K3HTTd> China to spend $27bn on energy efficiency and renewables this year Country plans to promote solar and wind power and develop hybrid technologies to cut carbon emissions

☢  <http://www.ssx2012.com/solarvision-awards.htmlhttp:/www.ssx2012.com/solarvision-awards.html> SolarVision Awards are accepting nominations Celebrating solar visionaries and successes in Ontario

☢  <http://bit.ly/JBHhVx> Myths And Facts About Wind Power: Debunking Fox’s Abysmal Wind Coverage

Act Now!

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1102> Hudak’s Nuclear Fantasy Ontario Opposition Leader Tim Hudak released his strategy to lower electricity rates, namely, cancelling the Green Energy Act’s feed-in-tariff for renewable energy and embarking on a major nuclear spending program to ensure that nuclear power will meet “half of our power needs.” Please send Mr. Hudak a message here <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1102>  and ask him to develop a credible, fact-based strategy to cut the real waste in Ontario’s electricity system – nuclear power.

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets> Order our new leaflet calling on the ON gov’t to halt their massive nuclear expansion plans – they’re free and contain postcards <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/OCAA_CutSomeWaste-web.pdf>  to Energy Minister Bentley asking him to favour lower-cost, safer and greener options. Distribute them to your friends and neighbours.

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1059> Send an email to ON Energy Minister Bentley and ask him to finish the coal phase-out in 2012 and invest in energy conservation rather than build or rebuild new nukes.

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/duncan_budget> Please email Ontario’s Finance Minister Dwight Duncan and tell him that the electricity sector review must include a “value for money” analysis of future supply options

☢   <http://www.beyondnuclear.org/home/2012/5/17/urge-canadian-government-to-cancel-proposed-radioactive-wast.html> Urge Canadian government to cancel proposed radioactive waste dumps on Great Lakes shoreline

Events

☢  <http://www.ceasefire.ca/?p=11603> June 2nd is Nuclear Abolition Day! Sign up to join thousands of other Canadians on June 2nd, to send your letter to Stephen Harper and your local MP saying "Abolish Nuclear Weapons!"

☢  <http://www.eco.on.ca/> Environmental Commissioner of Ontario to release third annual energy conservation report Watch the live webcast of the media conference Tues. June 5, 10 a.m.

☢  <http://ontario-sea.org/Page.asp?PageID=1209&ContentID=3602> Renewable Energy Tour to Germany June 30 – July 8, 2012

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director