T.O. Greenspiration Events: Speak out!

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Jun 4 00:22:51 EDT 2012

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Black Out Speak Out
- in defence of two core Canadian values: nature and democracy

Right now, Parliament is pushing through a bill to weaken many of the country's most important environmental protection measures and silence the voices of all Canadians who seek to defend nature. Today it's our voice; tomorrow it could be yours.

On Mon. June 4th, Canada's major environmental organizations, together with leading charities, unions, bloggers, and others will darken their websites and join thousands of Canadians like you to Speak Out in defence of nature and democracy.

http://www.blackoutspeakout.ca/about.php

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

June is Bike Month

See the program here: http://bikeunion.to/bikemonth/calendar?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Furnished Room available

Great furnished space suitable for university or ELS student, traveller, short term contract work, (theatre/teaching/job etc)
Near transit, all amenities, all inclusive, wireless, laundry, great professional gourmet kitchen, free parking bike & car
Day / week / month rate with or without breakfast. Perfect for conscientious respectful, environmentally & sustainably motivated creative spirit!

Please inquire 416.732.8965

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Last Call at the Oasis

Today through June 14th, various times of the day and night
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

From the team that brought you An Inconvenient Truth, Waiting for “Superman” and Food Inc., Last Call at the Oasis is a call-to-arms cry on the issues surrounding the world water supply. Jessica Yu, the Oscar award-winning director of Breathing Lessons, utilizes startling facts and amazing testimonials from renowned experts and activists to paint a frightening web of imminent dangers threatening our water supply. Issues ranging from climate change and water depletion to toxic pollutants and animal mutations give rise to the urgent need to take action before our most valued natural commodity literarily dries up

http://bloorcinema.com/movies/Last-Call-at-the-Oasis/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Goethe-Institut and the Urbanspace Gallery are opening a new exhibition:

Berlin on the Go - Towards a Pedestrian-Friendly City

June 5 - July 31
Opening Mon. June 4, 5:30 - 7pm, featuring a talk by Shawn Micallef, from Spacing.
Urbanspace Gallery, 401 Richmond Street West (at Spadina)
Free Admission; open Monday-Saturday 9am-7pm

Go by foot as often as you can! is the slogan of our exhibition “Berlin on the Go” that shows different, innovative initiatives of the City of Berlin in its 12 districts to encourage more people to walk, cycle and use public transit – and create a living and livable city.

http://www.goethe.de/ins/ca/tor/ver/en8822255v.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Big Boys Gone Bananas!

Mon. June 4, 9:15 p.m.
Bloor Cinema (at Bathurst)

Fredrik Gertten’s documentary Bananas!*, chronicling a lawsuit against controversial food giant Dole, was set to premiere at the 2009 Los Angeles Film Festival. Dole responded with an aggressive media and public relations campaign to quash the film’s release and discredit the reputation of the filmmakers. The filmmaking team behind Bananas!* refused to be bullied, filing a counter-suit and launching their own media strategy. Their point was that no one suing them had even seen the film! A true documentarian, Gertten picks up his camera again to capture his fight for free speech. Big Boys Gone Bananas!* is an in-depth case study of an independent filmmaker’s David and Goliath battle with a corporate machine whose financial and political influence must be exposed.

http://bloorcinema.com/movies/Big-Boys-Gone-Bananas/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop the Cuts to our Most Vulnerable! Community Gathering and Rally

Monday June 4, noon
Nathan Phillips Square (Queen and Bay) and walking up to Queens Park

Starting July 1st, 2012, Ontario Works agencies will have less money available to put into the hands of people in crisis situations. People in First Nations and smaller northern communities will be hard hit as they have limited access to other agencies that can offer assistance. Attend this rally to show your support for Ontario's most vulnerable.

Join OCAP and Mamaweswen, the North Shore Tribal Council to protest cuts.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Soap Making Workshop: from Springtime to Soothing

Monday, June 4, 6:30 to 8:30 pm
Anarres Natural Health, 792A Dovercourt Road

Read more: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/789

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Udder Truth: An Opening Dialogue on the Risks and Opportunities of Unpasteurized Milk

A Webinar - free
Mon. June 4, noon - p.m.

As the debate around the safety hazards and potential health benefits of unpasteurized milk grows, so too does the need to understand the reasons for and against pasteurization.   Sustain Ontario has brought together a panel of experts to clarify some of the myths and facts about unpasteurized milk and begin an open dialogue between advocates on both sides.  We hope to cover the history and reasons for pasteurization in Ontario, the public health risks of unpasteurized milk, the health claims of unpasteurized milk and the impacts on dairy producers.   There will be a half hour for questions and answers.

http://ht.ly/bhusl

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spine Walk

Tues. June 5, 6 - 7pm
Free admission

Toronto performance artist Cara Spooner creates a participatory “embodied audio walk” along soon-to-be pedestrianized John Street. Participants will listen on headphones as they walk from John Street’s sacrum (Front St) to its head (Grange). Other cues, movement instructions, narrations and sound scores will accompany the tour. Themes will be critiques of leisure, entertainment, amusement and distraction. The project personifies the street in an attempt to create empathy between the walkers and the physical infrastructure, social codes, movement, others using the street as well as urban nature elements.

Long after the scheduled walks are complete, the audio tour will continue to be available for download and self-guided free tours at www.goethe.de/toronto.

Limited space! Please register with your name and phone number to caraspooner at gmail.com!
Part of the Goethe-Institut's focus City & Climate.  http://www.goethe.de/ins/ca/tor/ver/en8783870v.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Telling Transformative Stories of Immigration in Canada
Pioneers for Change

Tues. June 5
TIFF Bell Lightbox (King and John)

Skills for Change invites you to an intimate cinematic experience: The stories of 5 accomplished Canadians seen through the lenses of 5 innovative Canadian filmmakers ...

Our country has been shaped by the lives of remarkable individuals who have made Canada their home, and every immigrant has a unique story to tell. On this unforgettable evening five great Canadians tell their stories, giving voice to the universal themes of the immigrant experience in Canada: survival, connectedness, acceptance, belonging and adaptation. Pioneers for Change is an unforgettable evening of film, spoken word and celebration. We hope you will be a part of it.

Join us on June 5 for a fantastic evening that will change the way you look at Canada and Canadians. You will experience first-hand the stories of our honourees, told in word and film. You will also be part of the making of a film that will bring the stories and the short films together into an unforgettable documentary.

http://socialinnovation.ca/community/buzz/telling-transformative-stories-of-immigration-canada

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Makade Makwa Walk for Water 2012 - Welcome BBQ / Potluck in the Park

Tues. June 5, 4 - 6 p.m.
Grange Park (behind the AGO) (near Queen and Beverly)

The April 28 Coalition and other Toronto allies will be welcoming a group of youth from Asubpeeschoseewagong, Grassy Narrows First Nation who have walked more than 2000 kilometers from their traditional territory in Northwestern Ontario.

They have been walking "to raise awareness about chemical dumping and mercury poisoning [of the English River System] that the government and corporations have caused over the past decades, and to keep that message strong for the next generation, to carry on that message so that people don’t forget that the water is still being poisoned.” (http://on.fb.me/ItdOM2)

https://www.facebook.com/events/245431442225109/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take action with Grassy Narrows Asubpeeschoseewagong Anishinabek
- Toronto for River Run 2012

- where we’ll continue a tradition of community lead action for justice—for our people, and for the protection of the water, air, and forests that give life to us all. Speaking event with Judy Da Silva

Tuesday June 5, 6:30 p.m.
Steelworker's Hall, 25 Cecil Street, Toronto

Over 40 years ago our people were poisoned by mercury from a paper mill that contaminated our river upstream. Our people are demanding justice because we are still dealing with the ongoing health impacts of this avoidable disaster. It’s an inescapable truth that this poison will affect everyone if we don’t stand together to protect our water.

For decades the GNAA community members have been on the front lines of the movement to defend the earth and to uphold Indigenous self-determination, culture and spirituality. We have kicked out logging giant Abitibi for now, but there is still much work to be done. Joining in River Run 2012 is a great opportunity to show your support and to join us in the fight to protect Indigenous rights and the water, air, land, and creatures that we all depend on.

Migwetch,
Grassy Narrows Asubpeeschoseewagong Women's Drum Group
Freegrassy.org and our Facebook page for more info and updates.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Photoshop for Beginners
- design - training

Tues. June 5, 6 pm - 9 pm
Centre for Social Innovation Spadina, 215 Spadina Avenue
Price:  $49
For More Information and to register:  http://june5photoshopforbeginners.eventbrite.ca/

This fun workshop is built around practical tips that you can put into practice right away.  After just 3 hours, you’ll know how to:
	• crop and resize your images
	• brighten your photos and adjust colour
	• remove dust spots, fix blemishes
	• make simple photo collages
	• add text to your images
	• use Photoshop to make a poster, flyer, or other print material
	• prepare your images for posting on the web

You must bring your own laptop and power cord - computers are not provided.
You'll need to have Photoshop installed on your computer.  If you don't have it, you can download the free 30 day trial from Adobe's website.

http://socialinnovation.ca/event/photoshop-for-beginners?utm_source=Innovators&utm_campaign=525c9d3eb8-Innovators_May_225_22_2012&utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Clean Energy and Canada’s Faith Communities
Free Webinar

Tues. June 5, 11 a.m. - noon
Online

We are pleased to extend this invitation to participate in a free webinar on how people of faith can join with others in considering a sustainable energy future for Canada. Beyond conventional energy production there are a number of energy options to be considered. We hope to develop an "Energy Accord" that can assist governments and civil society make this leap forward. Join us for this interactive, online presentation that is simple to join and participate in.

https://www3.gotomeeting.com/register/667069150

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mobilize to Take Back Our Education
Solidarity with Quebec Students - No More Debt!

Tues. June 5, 8 p.m.
George Brown College,
King St. E. at George St.

On June 5th, we will march together in solidarity with the inspiring struggle of the students of Quebec, and to demand accessible education for the people of Ontario! Bring your friends, your voice, your instruments, your flags, your banners, your red squares, and most importantly, your spirit. Bring your pots, pans, cassserole dishes, and wooden spoons! The time for us to stand up and be heard is now. We must ride the momentum of this historic moment. This is more than a hike, more than a strike, more than Quebec; this is the beginning of a new way of seeing education, not just for now but for generations to follow.

The Ontario Students’ Mobilization Coalition  www.osmc.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fish Fry

Take action with Grassy Narrows Asubpeeschoseewagong Anishinabek - Toronto for River Run 2012, where we’ll continue a tradition of community lead action for justice—for our people, and for the protection of the water, air, and forests that give life to us all.

Wednesday June 6th, Noon
Queen's Park south lawn.

[...]

Manif Casseroles Toronto

Wed. June 6, 8 p.m.
Dufferin Grove Park (Dufferin south of Bloor)

Bring your pots, pans, cassserole dishes, and wooden spoons.  In solidarity with the Quebec Student uprising and against auterity.
Meet at the clanging pots and pans in Dufferin Grove Park. Wear your red squares, red shirts, red shorts. Extra points if you have a panda suit.
Invite EVERYONE YOU KNOW!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlorViHqokg&feature=youtu.be

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lessons from Quebec: Militants from the picket lines at UQAM Speak
Featuring guest speakers: Nichola R. and Mohamed B. - Student activists at UQAM and supporters of La Riposte (Marxist Tendency in Quebec)

Wednesday, 6 June, 6:30 - 9 pm
Bahen Centre, room 2165,, 40 St. George St. (University of Toronto) (Just north of College St.)

The Quebec student movement continues to advance after more than 16-weeks of struggle, and in spite of brutal repression and mass arrests by the police. Nowhere has there been more energy than around the downtown campus of the Université du Québec à Montréal (UQAM), a traditional hotbed of student activism.

Students at UQAM were amongst the first to go out on strike. The example set by a handful of campuses quickly spread to the broader student movement, and beyond. The students at UQAM have resisted police injunctions and set up picket lines to keep classes shut down. They have also led efforts to connect the student strike with the wider working-class movement, including organizing a blockade of the Rio Tinto Alcan headquarters in solidarity with locked-out workers in Alma, Quebec.

Join us to hear first-hand accounts from two Quebec student activists and their experiences at the grassroots during the Quebec student strike. The heroic movement of the Quebec students has inspired youth and workers across Canada. How can we spread the movement? What lessons can be drawn for the struggle against austerity cuts? How can the student movement spread to the workers?

Organized by: Toronto Young New Democrats, Fightback (www.marxist.ca), La Riposte (www.marxiste.qc.ca)
Contact for Details: farshad.enghelab at gmail.com  647-204-5312

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canadian Electoral Alliance - first Democracy Salon

Let's gather and share ideas about how to encourage inter-party co-operation leading up to the next federal election.
Meet people like you who want a better Canada.

Wed. June 6, 6:30 PM - 8:30 PM
Alterna Savings Meeting Room, 4th Floor, Centre of Social Innovation, 215 Spadina Ave.

Bring your friends and enjoy a wonderful evening. Wine and cheese will be served. There will be a Raffle and more!

RSVP contact at electoralalliance.ca  www.electoralalliance.ca

(Note - Please enter via the cafe next door if the front door of the building is locked. Press 4 for the 4th Floor and Alterna Room is on your RIGHT once you pass the information desk.)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

At The Cannery

Wed. June 6, 6 - 9 p.m.
FoodShare's training kitchen at 90 Croatioa Street (steps south of Bloor Street and Brock Avenue)
$45 members, $50 non-members

It's asparagus season!  At our next canning workshop we will be pickling asparagus with our canning gurus James and Heather.  Come and learn about preservation techniques, do some hands-on canning, and get all of the tips and tricks you will need to continue canning at home.

To register: http://westendfood.coop/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=163

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Solidarity Rally & March
- to support workers at St. Christopher House forced out on strike for a fair contract.

Wednesday June 6, 5:30 - 7 pm
St. Christopher House, 248 Ossington Avenue

Their contract expired in March 2010 and they had been negotiating with St. Christopher House management for over two years now. It worsened when management proposed major concessions to their existing health benefits, long-term wage freezes, and refusal to improve working conditions for part-timers. Bring your pots and pans!!

We are ALL the full time, part time, contract workers of St. Christopher House who: Teach your kids music, Care for your parents and seniors, Provide adult education, Pre/after- school programs - Help people find housing, Assist immigrants and refugees, Help people find jobs - Do free income tax returns, Counsel abused women, Homeless drop in

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Night of the Forest
– annual fundraiser for LEAF (Local Enhancement and Appreciation of Forests)

Thursday, June 7,  7 p.m. - 11 p.m.
The Roundhouse - Steam Whistle Brewery , 255 Bremner Blvd

Join us at the beautiful Steam Whistle Roundhouse as we celebrate and support our greatest shared resource: the urban forest!
	• revelry with friends, old and new
	• live music
	• hors d'oeuvres
	• volunteer of the year award
	• chance auction with an opportunity to win $500 with VIA Rail, a stay for two at the Royal York and more...

https://www.facebook.com/LOCALENHANCEMENTandAPPRECIATIONofFORESTS

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Our favourite drug: Why are women & girls drinking so much?
Webinar

Thursday June 7, noon - 1 PM Eastern
Online

Alcohol is a favourite drug for many people, and women may be having more problems with alcohol than many of us would like to think. Journalist Ann Dowsett Johnston spent a year talking with women, researchers and policy-makers to learn why women drink, and how alcohol affects us differently from men. The results are unsettling.

In this webinar, CWHN Executive Director Anne Rochon Ford will interview Ann Dowsett Johnston about her research, including questions and comments from viewers.

Register: https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?llr=mqj54lcab&oeidk=a07e5z11b2c2f92bf86&oseq=a025qrgv44eyw9
A free event presented by the Canadian Women's Health Network  and the British Columbia Centre of Excellence for Women's Health

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Exhibition: A Child's View from Gaza

Opening Reception: Thursday, June 7 @ 6 pm
Exhibition: Thursday, June 7 to Sunday, June 24
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)

A collection of drawings depicting the realities of daily life in Gaza under siege. The exhibit comprises 26 drawings created by children (ages 5 to 14) from Gaza taking art therapy classes to help them cope with the events and aftermath of Operation Cast Lead in 2008-2009 which devastated many lives and left Gaza in rubble.  Each drawing is striking in its honesty and the details included in each drawing reflect the often complex trauma of the child artist. A Child's View from Gaza tells a story of children who are forced to witness horrors and how they try to make sense of their experience through art.  This is part of a pan-Canadian tour organized by Canadians for Justice and Peace in Middle East (CJPME).

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/12-06-07/A_Child_s_View_from_Gaza.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ignite a Revolution - Celebrate World Oceans Day

Fri. June 8, 7 p.m.
Royal Ontario Museum (ROM), 100 Queens Park

Join Rob Stewart of the hit-documentary Sharkwater and TVO's Water Brothers for World Oceans Day celebration. See a sneak peak of Rob's new movie, "Revolution - The Evolution of Life on Earth and the Revolution to Save it", set to launch in the fall of 2012. Rob will provide an interactive, multi-media talk based on his next documentary. A portion of the proceeds from the event will go towards our not-for-profit organization, United Conservationists.

416-586-8000  info at rom.on.ca
http://www.rom.on.ca/programs/lectures/index.php?ref=showinfo&program_id=7856

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

March and Rally with Grassy Narrows

Friday June 8, Noon.
Grange Park (behind the Art Gallery of Ontario on Beverly)

[...]

Festival Solidarity 2012

Alternatives in Montreal is hosting a solidarity festival June 9th that Common Frontiers is partaking in http://www.alternatives.ca/en/agenda/festival-solidarity-2012. Folks like Gabriel Nadeau-Dubois from CLASSE will be speaking any many more.  It links Rio+20 and the struggles of the north and south.

I’m planning on providing free transport to take folks to Montreal for the festival as a solidarity caravan. The plan is to leave here on the 8th and return on the 10th.  If anyone is interested please ask them to e-mail me at burbano at rogers.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebration of Transition in Toronto: A Summer International Pot Luck and Free Market

Saturday, June 9, noon - 2 p.m.
Grange Park (Beverley St, south of Dundas)
Free!

"The Transition model uses...as many opportunities to celebrate successes as possible"* and this year we have plenty to celebrate! We've started the Transition Skills Forum, have run several successful events already this year, are seeing neighbourhood groups and working groups start up, and have become an officially recognized Transition Town! Let's celebrate this summer!

For the potluck, bring food that represents your culture or favourite dish. Please label your containers with your name and whether food contains nuts, and bring your own reusable plate, cup, and utensils.

For the Free Market, feel free to bring a few SMALL, clean, and unbroken items someone else might be able to make use of, e.g. books, CDs, DVDs, 'nick-knacks'. (Please remember, you are responsible for taking back anything you bring that no one else wants).

All are welcome! Come and celebrate with the people who want to see this City become a resilient, enjoyable, post-carbon place to live, work, and play.

http://transitiontoronto.ning.com/events/celebration-of-transition-in-toronto-a-summer-pot-luck-at-grange-

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Earth Plaster Workshop

Sat. June 9
West End Food Coop, Parkdale

Get some practice with a trowel on a wall of the under-renovation West End Food Co-op, and make your mark on the soon-to-be-open new Food Hub in Parkdale!  Earth plaster has been used for centuries and is now experiencing a revival of interest as concerns for indoor air quality and the environmental impact of building materials increase.  Of course some just like it for its beauty.

Who should attend: those working in residential or commercial construction and finishes, those interested in healthier building and decorating, anyone looking to learn a new skill, interested in putting their mark on the WEFC Food Hub, anyone who enjoys playing with dirt!

What to bring: wear or bring clothes to change into that you don't mind getting dirty, wear closed-toe shoes. Max 15 people, so register early!

Price: Sliding scale $60-$100 per person.  Fourth Pig usually hosts these workshops for $150 or higher, but are generously putting on this workshop for our co-op members at a lower rate.  There are also a few subsidized spots available.

To register and to get more info: contact Lynn at lynn at westendfood.coop

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

You, Me and We: Making a Difference with Compassionate Communication
     facilitated by Henry Wai

Sat June 9 - Intro 10:00 am -12:30 pm
Sat June 9 - Deepening (Theme: Connection) - 1:30-5:30 pm
- downtown Toronto

People in distress are thirsty for empathy. Your ability to be present to others with care, focus, and minimal reactions can make the difference between a breakdown and a breakthrough. Young or old, timid or bold - clarify needs and choices, resolve conflicts and solve problems with a simple, transformative process which all ages can use.

Based on a communication process used in 37 countries.
To learn more: www.nonviolentcommunication.com/aboutnvc/aboutnvc.htm

Tuition: INTRO - $25     DEEPENING - $45
(if finances are a barrier, please contact Henry before the events to discuss alternatives)

Info/Registration: Henry 416-913-8861  wai_renooy at sympatico.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Island House & History Tour

Sunday, June 10
Tickets are $45 and can be bought online at torontoislandhousetour2012.eventbrite.com
For more information, go to www.torontoislandhousetour.weebly.com or email us at granniesinspirit at gmail.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stride to Turn the Tide

Sun. June 10, 10 a.m.
Toronto Island Ferry Docks.

From the Centre Island Ferry Dock we will move together to the Franklin Children's Garden (1k flat easy walk). For those who wish to Stride On, the walk to the ferry docks via Centreville, is 2k, there and back; the walk to Hanlan's Point and back is for True Striders, 5k return. You can walk, ride a bike (available for rental on the Island), push or be pushed. Arrangements will be made to ride a tram for those who are unable to walk the 1km route.

We are encouraging striders to bring along their children and grandchildren for a fun afternoon on the Island. Our picnic area is situated right beside the Franklin Children's Garden, a playground, a splashpad, and the beach. Bring a picnic lunch, water, hat, sunscreen, bathing suit and towel.

The $10 registration fee will also cover your ferry ticket, if you register with us in advance. This covers a walker and accompaning children. All walkers must register with us for insurance purposes.

For more information about the walk, how to register, or how to set up your fundraising page, please contact us at torontostride at gmail.com
For more information about the Stephen Lewis Foundation and the Grandmothers Campaign, please go tohttp://www.stephenlewisfoundation.org

Stride to Turn the Tide is a Grandmothers Campaign initiative. All proceeds go to partners of the Stephen Lewis Foundation – grassroots organizations in sub-Saharan Africa that support African grandmothers and the children in their care. Thousands of Canadian grandmothers and grandothers have determinedly made a pledge, that with every footstep across the country, they will raise awareness and funds for the thousands of African grandmothers who are supporting orphaned grandchildren and turning the tide of the AIDS pandemic in their communities.

For more information about the Grandmothers to Grandmothers Campaign and Stride to Turn the Tide, visit grandmotherscampaign.org.
http://slf.r-esourcecenter.com/event/FundraisingPage.asp?crypt=aA57dGINYiN3OmwbfQ4Ja2JpEn1hBngybSF3bwsK&utm_source=Main&utm_campaign=ffe3183a7e-Stride_2012&utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Comedy Jam
with the Toronto Environmental Alliance

Sun. June 10, 7 p.m.
Rivoli, 334 Queen Street West
$20

Greening the city is serious work, but we all need to relax and have fun! We've got 15 talented comedians lined up to make you laugh, and raise funds for TEA!

http://torontoenvironment.org/2012comedyjam?utm_source=Council+Watch&utm_campaign=0cb2365c1c-CW_June_3_Comedy_jam_new_GNC_site&utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Victim Commemoration Ceremony - From Victim to Survivor
Join us in celebrating the Proclamation of the Victim’s Bill of Rights

Sun. June 10, 11:30 am—3 pm
Courtyard Mariott, 475 Yonge St.
Info: Ellen Carlisle, at 416-597-1171 ext. 229

A candle-light ceremony and a moment of silence will be held to honor lives lost
• Speakers forum   • Discussion and information sharing   • Community fair   • Activities for children
• Food and drinks   • Performances   • Drumming, Dancing   • Poetry and spoken word

Hosted by Oasis Centre des Femmes and the Toronto Rape Crisis Centre
Sponsored by the Ministry of the Attorney General

The ceremony marks the anniversary of the enactment of An Act Respecting Victims of Crime – Victims' Bill of Rights. Speakers and performances will be a part of the event with their contributions revolving around the theme, From Victim to Survivor.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Active Hope - With Joanna Macy

Thur. June 21, Summer Solstice @ 7:30pm (doors open at 6:30)
OISE Auditorium @ UofT,  252 Bloor St W. (St. George subway)
tickets: $20 advance / $25 @ the door
Students:  FREE (under 21 years old)

Join us for a transformative evening with special guest Joanna Macy. Active Hope will nourish our courage and creativity for the Great Turning, the epochal transition to a life-sustaining society & the essential adventure of our time.

Drawing from her latest book, Active Hope, co-authored with Chris Johnstone of the UK, Joanna will share stories and practices that make us glad to be alive right now in this amazing and perilous world. Active Hope is about finding, and offering, our best response to the crisis of sustainability unfolding in our world. It offers tools that help us face the mess we’re in, as well as find and play our role in the collective transition, or Great Turning, to a life-sustaining society.

about Joanna: Eco-philosopher Joanna Macy PhD, is a scholar of Buddhism, general systems theory, and deep ecology. A respected voice in the movements for peace, justice, and ecology, she interweaves her scholarship with five decades of activism.
http://www.theinnergarden.ca/joanna-macy   http://www.joannamacy.net
about active hope: http://activehope.info/

presented in part by: the Inner Garden, Zeitgeist Toronto, Snowlion Bookstore
a unified network for a life-sustaining society: http://www.theinnergarden.ca/active-hope#!__active-hope/summer-solstice-2012
advance tickets: http://www.theinnergarden.ca/active-hope
also available @ Snowlion Bookstore http://www.snowlioncanada.com/ & Wonderworks http://www.gowonderworks.com/
Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/events/176354959159165/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in