No Nukes News: Nuclear power and democracy

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Fri Jun 15 15:09:18 EDT 2012

No Nukes News

June 15, 2012 – Please pass this onto a friend!

RIP <http://www.myhero.com/go/hero.asp?hero=dr._rosalie_bertell>  Sister Rosalie Bertell.  A member of the Grey Nuns <http://www.greynun.org/> , they write: We remember Sister Rosalie in our prayers, along with all the people who were victims of nuclear disasters and the many other societal ills that were the concerns of her heart and her life’s work at the International Institute of Concern for Public Health. <http://www.iicph.org/>

‘Henry David Thoureau said “It’s not what you look at that matters, it’s what you see.” This simple message carries with it the seeds of hope for creating the essential changes in our world for the benefit of all species on Earth. When we look at wind turbines, we can see hope and inspiration to create electricity in an intelligent, clean, sustainable manner that will change how our civilization will evolve through this 21st century. Global Wind Day each June 15th is cause for celebration and pride.’ - Don Ross, Friend of Wind, Milford, Ontario

Canada

☢  <http://www.greatlakescommonsmap.org/reports/view/29> Pickering Nuclear permit to take 13 billion litres/day

☢  <http://briarpatchmagazine.com/articles/view/follow-the-yellowcake-road> Follow the yellowcake road: Nuclear power, tarsands extraction, and the co-option of the University of Saskatchewan

The World

☢  <http://bit.ly/LKomsi> Fukushima Daiichi: From Nuclear Power Plant to Nuclear Weapon Comprehensive and up-to-date overview.

☢  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zYQNd2ybiDg> Women's "Die-In" against the Restart of Ooi Nuke Plant 11 min. video

☢  <http://wapo.st/LZFGYS> Japan moves closer to restarting first nuclear reactors since tsunami-driven meltdowns

☢  <http://bit.ly/LLkLIS> Fukushima residents call for criminal charges against nuclear officials

☢  <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwBELPtVUCA> Inside the Meltdown 1 hour documentary. A year after the disaster of Fukushima (March 2011) this BBC film documents the drama.

☢  <http://wapo.st/LDWUe3> How hard is it to dismantle 150 nuclear reactors? Europe’s about to find out. GlobalData estimates that it will cost at least $81 billion to decommission Europe’s reactors between now and 2030, with the biggest markets in France and Russia. Pearce suggests that some countries, such as Britain, may not currently have enough money budgeted for the task

☢  <http://bit.ly/KoMQBD> Nuclear power & democracy So cocksure is India’s super-arrogant nuclear establishment of its infallibility that it brands its critics insane and in need of psychiatric treatment. It has prevailed upon the state-run National Institute of Mental Health and Neuro-Sciences (NIMHANS) to “counsel” the tens of thousands of people protesting against the Koodankulam nuclear power station in Tamil Nadu that it’s perfectly safe. This marks a new offensive to thrust nuclear power generation down the throats of people who have resisted Koodankulam’s Russian-made reactors since 1988. Equally sickening, the police has filed 107 FIRs against an incredible 55,795 people in Koodankulam, charging 6,800 of them with “sedition” and “waging war against the state”. This sets a new record in harassment of popular protests anywhere.

☢  <http://reut.rs/KtmncW> Nuclear power from inception to Fukushima impact Timeline of significant dates in the history of nuclear power

☢  <http://nyti.ms/LecbzN> US Court Forces a Rethinking of Nuclear Fuel Storage

☢  <http://www.greenkids.de/europas-atomerbe/index.php/Nuclear_Heritage_Network> Nuclear Heritage Network We want to connect anti-nuclear activists worldwide, provide information regarding nuclear issues and anti-nuclear activities in many countries and develop projects and campaigns

☢  <http://yhoo.it/LRKuzo> US coal use falling fast; utilities switch to gas Share of US power from coal at lowest level on record as use of cleaner natural gas grows

Renewables and Conservation

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1113> It’s about efficiency, not handouts The 1950s approach of the Industrial Electricity Incentive Program, by contrast, reflects the glut of power the province has been left with thanks to the multi-billion dollar re-build of two aging reactors at the Bruce Nuclear Station. Of course, it is Ontario’s hard working families who will pick up the bill when the province gives big business electricity at 2 cents a kWh.

☢   <http://bit.ly/KywHLO> Save money, create jobs: So what's the problem? A new study <http://www.env-ne.org/resources/energy-efficiency-engine-of-economic-growth-in-canada>  released yesterday by Environment Northeast looks at the economic impacts of greater investment in energy efficiency. It found that when governments invest in saving businesses and homeowners money on energy costs, it can have big impacts across the economy.

☢   <http://bit.ly/OaQO50> Germany's solar power experience shows that renewable is doable by David Suzuki

☢  <http://bit.ly/LaxPbi> Time to double down on clean energy investments This week, the Paris-based International Energy Agency with an oil-soaked history said the world, if it has any hope of keeping the average rise in global temperatures to below 2 degrees C, needs to double its rate of spending on clean-energy infrastructure between now and 2020.

Act Now!

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1113> Industry needs help to increase energy productivity, not handouts Please  <mailto:christopher.bentley at ontario.ca> email Energy Minister Bentley and ask him to create sustainable jobs and lower electricity bills by investing in energy efficiency. Please tell him that subsidizing the wasteful consumption of high-cost electricity is a fool’s game.

☢  <http://bit.ly/Lu2M5B> Stop plans to build small nuclear reactors in Saskatchewan to power oil extraction from the Alberta Tar Sands. Sign the petition.

☢  <http://bit.ly/Ln4Y3s> Tell Japan's Prime Minister: Keep Japan Nuclear-Free! Japan is currently nuclear-free--all of its 50+ reactors have been shut down since the Fukushima disaster of March 2011. But Prime Minister Noda is now seeking restart of the two nuclear reactors at Ohi as soon as possible. And this could be a prelude to more restarts. Our friends in Japan are asking for us all to raise our voices in protest. Sign the petition.

☢  <https://secure.avaaz.org/en/stop_japans_nuclear_meltdown_global_g/?tta> Sign the Avaaz Petition To UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon and Prime Minister Noda As global citizens, we call on you to urgently send an independent team of international experts to assess the dangerous situation at Fukushima Daiichi reactor #4 and recommend clear steps to prevent disaster. A pool of deadly radioactive cesium still sits exposed -- risking a human nuclear catastrophe 10 times as bad as Chernobyl. The Japanese government is not responding. It's time for urgent international action.

☢  <http://www.beyondnuclear.org/home/2012/5/17/urge-canadian-government-to-cancel-proposed-radioactive-wast.html> Urge Canadian government to cancel proposed radioactive waste dumps on Great Lakes shoreline

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1102> Hudak’s Nuclear Fantasy Ontario Opposition Leader Tim Hudak released his strategy to lower electricity rates, namely, cancelling the Green Energy Act’s feed-in-tariff for renewable energy and embarking on a major nuclear spending program to ensure that nuclear power will meet “half of our power needs.” Please send Mr. Hudak a message here and ask him to develop a credible, fact-based strategy to cut the real waste in Ontario’s electricity system – nuclear power.

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets> Order our new leaflet calling on the ON gov’t to halt their massive nuclear expansion plans – they’re free and contain postcards <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/OCAA_CutSomeWaste-web.pdf>  to Energy Minister Bentley asking him to favour lower-cost, safer and greener options. Distribute them to your friends and neighbours.

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1059> Send an email to ON Energy Minister Bentley and ask him to finish the coal phase-out in 2012 and invest in energy conservation rather than build or rebuild new nukes.

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/duncan_budget> Please email Ontario’s Finance Minister Dwight Duncan and tell him that the electricity sector review must include a “value for money” analysis of future supply options

Events

☢  <http://bit.ly/KZxHYH> CleanAirCommute  June 18-24. Bike. Walk. Carpool. Take Transit. Telecommute. Register your workplace.

☢  <http://www.solarbonds.ca/> SolarShare 1st Annual General Meeting June 21, Toronto. The SolarShare Board of Directors will update you on all aspects of the business, your investment, the projects and new opportunities.

☢  <https://www.facebook.com/events/176354959159165/?ref=ts> Active Hope – with Joanna Macy How to face the mess we’re in without going crazy. 7:30 p.m. June 21, OISE, Toronto

☢  <http://www.pembina.org/blog/633> Neighbouring Wind Turbines: Perspectives from an Alberta Landowner ON Tour with Heidi Eijel, an Albertan landowner from Pincher Creek, and Tim Weis, Pembina Institute. June 25: Grand Bend. June 26: London. June 27: Chatham-Kent.

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Tel: 416 260-2080 x 1