T.O. Greenspiration Events: Alternate Reality

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jul 8 19:23:48 EDT 2012

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... - angela

---------------------------------------

Join the Otesha Bike Tour from Kitchener-Waterloo to Ottawa

7 weeks beginning Sept. 1

The Otesha Project is seeking adventurous individuals to hop on their bicycles and spin the wheels of change with us! Otesha Teams of a dozen or more driven volunteers will be touring around Ontario on their bicycles, stopping in communities along the way to use hands on, interactive alternative education to engage and empower youth on issues of environmental sustainability and social justice. Tour Members will gain valuable experience in facilitation and leadership skills, public speaking, alternative education, bike touring, camping, and working with youth. Teams are being built now -- apply asap.

To Apply: http://www.otesha.ca/content/apply
The Otesha Project: http://www.otesha.ca  -  http://www.otesha.ca/content/bike-tours-101  -   info*at*otesha.ca   -   613 237 6065

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Honour Killings
Toronto Fringe Festival

July 09 06:45 PM
July 10 12:45 PM
July 11 01:45 PM
July 14 08:45 PM
July 15 01:45 PM
Helen Gardiner Phelan Playhouse, 79A St. George St.

A family caught between cultures. A megalomaniac father. A household where all are taught “family is priority” and every mistake has severe consequences. Unbeknownst to 4 female members, now mistakes will no longer be tolerated at all. Obscure tragic tradition, betrayal by family, and a Canadian system ignoring cries for help. A modern tragedy.

http://fringetoronto.com/fringe-festival/shows/honour-killings/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mad Pride Toronto 2012: A Celebration of Madness
July 10 to July 15

Mad Pride is an arts, culture, and heritage festival created by psychiatric survivors, consumers, mad people, folks the world has labelled “mentally ill”, and those in solidarity with us. Mad Pride is about:
* remembering and participating in mad history
* challenging discrimination
* advocating for rights
* affirming mad identities
* developing and empowering mad communities
* having fun!

Our lives and contributions are valuable and need celebration! All events are free. Festivities include educational talks/panels, theatre, music, art, poetry, comedy, films, craft/vendor sales, information booths, a Mad Hatter Tea Party, and more.

www.madprideto.com.
http://www.facebook.com/events/165172280282344/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Adventures in Slumberland

July 1 - Aug. 6 - Wed. - Sun. 11 a.m., noon, 1 p.m. and 2 p.m. (weather permitting)
Lagoon Theatre, Centre Island
$10 or paywhatyouthink

Prepare to be amazed as the delightful and bizarre dream world of a little boy named Nemo is brought to life before you. This family show is an adaptation of Little Nemo in Slumberland, a weekly comic created by Winsor McCay from 1905-1912, still regarded as one of the greatest comic strips of all time. With puppetry, circus, masks & music Frolick Theatre invites people of all ages to get away to Centre Island this summer.

http://www.frolick.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/events/257102567727673/permalink/261845163920080/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Chris Hedges Talking about his book Days Of Destruction, Days Of Revolt

Mon. July 9, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.
Innis Town Hall, U of T, 2 Sussex Avenue (at St. George Street)
Free

In "Days of Destruction, Days of Revolt", Pulitzer Prize-winning journalist Chris Hedges and American Book Award-winning graphic artist Joe Sacco offer an illustrated exposé of how corporate greed and government indifference have unleashed unbridled socio-economic decay in the United States. With uncompromising portraits of the often forgotten underclass that subsists at the lowest rank of American life, Hedges and Sacco put forth a searing indictment of the human, ecological, and moral costs of the excesses of unregulated corporate capitalism. Turning its gaze to the still active Occupy movement, this stirring testament to the need for radical change provides an eye-opening, often shocking vision of the way we live now.

http://www.munk.utoronto.ca/EventDetails.aspx?eventid=12324

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Natural Hair Care I: Make Custom Shampoos

Mon. July 9, 6:30 - 8:30 pm
Anarres Natural Health, 792A Dovercourt Road

Register at: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/874

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Your Second Brain

Mon. July 9, 6 - 8 p.m.
Institute for Traditional Medicine, 553 Queen West, 2nd floor (east of Bathurst)
Free

Through Chi Nei Tsang, a healing system from the East, we are able to access the enteric braind and the viscere/organs, and address the physical, mental and emotional disharmonies interrupting our ideal state of health and wellbeing. In this workshop participants will be introduced to the theory, techniques and process of diagnosing  & treating physical & emotional conditions, including pain & trauma, through abdominal manipulation.  Chi Nei Tsang treatments involve using a gentle, soft, and deep touch to the abdomen to coax and train the internal organs to work more efficiently and to deal with unprocessed emotional charges.

info at itmworld.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally and March to End Police Brutality

Tues. July 10, 7 p.m.
Osgoode Hall, 130 Queen St. West (at University Ave.)

On Wednesday it was revealed that Constable Ong who assaulted Angela Turvey at Osgoode Hall would not be facing charges. This is wholly unacceptable as she was brutally attacked and left with numerous injuries while Ong ignored her cries. The SIU closed the investigation while pointing to CCTV footage that they have not released to the public.  http://toronto.mediacoop.ca/story/violent-cop-gets-pass/11585

The Star put out an article that illustrates this is far from an isolated incident but rather a symptom of a corrupt system.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/crime/article/1222320--police-across-gta-rarely-fully-co-operate-with-siu-statistics-show

We will gather at Osgoode Hall at the site where Angela was assaulted. We will appeal to the Law Society of Upper Canada and the Ontario Superior Court to do their part to end police brutality. We will hear from some speakers before bringing our message to the streets. People who wish to share personal stories of police brutality will be given a chance to speak. Our demands:
- Conduct an audit of the Special Investigations Unit to be conducted by civilians with no ties to law enforcement
- Re-open the investigation into Constable Ong's assault on Angela Turvey
- Release the CCTV tape of Angela allegedly assaulting Ong

https://www.facebook.com/events/474040562623478/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Inquiry into the “Schizophrenia” Label
With Dr. Suman Fernando, J. Stone, Dr. Kwame McKenzie, Marian Dalal

Tues. July 10, 2-5pm
Ryerson University Library Building Lower Level Room LIB 072, 350 Victoria Street
Free. All welcome

A group of British psychiatrists and survivor activists have organized the “Inquiry into the Schizophrenia Label” (ISL) because of the growing unease about the use of the label to describe complex problems of living. They say:
- The label causes increased stigma.
- The label undermines the humanity of the people being labeled.
- The label is unscientific and biased in respect of the biological model of mental Illness.
- The application of this diagnostic label reveals a racial bias.

Here, in Canada, we are similarly concerned and we are staging a Toronto forum that will address these concerns and raise awareness for alternative and humanistic responses to extreme states of distress.

schizophreniainquiry.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Mad Hatter Tea Party and a Mad Doctor

Wed. July 11,
3-4pm: Tea and cookies
4-5pm: Mad doctor talk
CAMH Training Room A 1001 Queen Street W.

Join us for our annual Mad Hatter Tea Party followed by a talk with author James FitzGerald speaking on his award winning book What Disturbs Our Blood. Wear your craziest hat! It’s a tradition.

Notes: indoors, light snacks available, informal gathering, book talk, all welcome, free
Hosted by The Empowerment Council www.empowermentcouncil.ca / www.jamesfitzgerald.info/Madnes.html
www.madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Walls are Alive with the Sound of Mad People
Guided by Friendly Spike Theatre Band www.globalserve.net/~friendlyspike

Wed. July 11, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
CAMH 1001 Queen Street W. Meet outside at the corner of Queen/Shaw.

This event is a guided theatrical walk/roll around the Historical Patient Built Wall on the grounds of the Centre for Addiction and Mental Health (CAMH). During the 19th Century, walls were built and rebuilt around the grounds of the asylum by unpaid patient labourers. In 2010, memorial plaques dedicated to psychiatric patients’ history were unveiled around this site. By including a lively dimension in the telling of this story, we embody the past in a way that empowers the present.

Notes: outdoors, theatre, washrooms are walking distance, mix of smooth concrete paths and grass, street/background noise, child-friendly, all welcome, free
www.madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Facing our Future Challenges with Authentic Hope: The Work that Reconnects
with Sally Ludwig and Natalie Zend

Wed. July 11, 6 - 9 p.m.
OCAD, Lambert lounge, 100 McCaul St.

Are you deeply concerned about the state of our planet, and exploring your contribution to a future worth living?  Join us for The Work that Reconnects - an evening of dialogue and experiential exercises based on teachings and practices developed over the last 40 years by eco-philosopherJoanna Macy and colleagues. You will come away with motivation inspired by you participation in the bigger picture. The workshops promises an inspiring context for action, and offers clarity to create your unique role in the Great Turning toward a life-sustaining society and world.

http://bit.ly/NgA0Xt

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Launch reception - A Child's View From Gaza

Wednesday, July 11, 6 - 8:30 p.m.
Church of the Holy Trinity, 10 Trinity Square (behind Eaton's Centre, off Bay)

Reception and art exhibit plus 2 short films:
·  Samouni Street (a 13-minute film by Gaza children)
·  Gaza, did you know (a 5-minute CJPME doc)

Sponsored by Canadians for Justice and Peace in the Middle East

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mad Social Work?

Thur. July 12, 2 - 4 p.m.
Ryerson University, Kerr Hall East, Second Floor Room KHE 216. Enter at 60 Gould Street or 340 Church Street

With The Madvocates, School of Social Work, Ryerson University. We welcome Mad folk, community members, workers, students, learners, organizers, educators, and all who are curious to come and explore what it means to be Mad and working/studying in the helping professions.

Notes: indoors, discussion, microphone/speakers used, all welcome, free
www.facebook.com/groups/125212880934218	 www.madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Anti-Imperialism Behind Bars

Thur. July 12, 7 p.m.
460 Spadina

An event in support of political prisoners and revolutionary prisoners of war. The speakers in attendance will present on political prisoners in Ireland, Palestine, India and North America. Following the presentations there will be socializing and entertainment.

Presented by the Anti-Colonial working group and the Proletarian Revolutionary Action Committee.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Palestine to Philippines: It's our right to rebel
Building the united front against Canadian imperialism and defending liberation organizations against the War on Terror

Thursday, July 12 - 6:30 - 9 pm
OISE, 252 Bloor St. W., Room 5-250

- Martha Roberts & Aiyanas Ormond of Alliance for Peoples Health Gaza - Eyewitness to resistance against the criminalization of people's struggles in Palestine
- Alex Felipe of BAYAN Canada - Resisting counter-insurgency in the Philippines and the U.S. military occupation
With introduction by ILPS-Canada
- Moderated by Women United Against Imperialism

Organized by: International League of People's Struggles (Canada Chapter)
Endorsed by: BASICS, OPIRG Toronto, Bayan Canada, Women United Against Imperialism, Alliance for Peoples & Health

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ZooShare Webinar

Thur. July 12, 12:15 - 1:15 p.m. - online

Learn all about ZooShare and the biogas plant it's developing at the Toronto Zoo. We'll be available to answer questions about everything from what biogas is and which animal has the best poo to what a co-op is and how to become a member or investor of ZooShare.

Registration required for the online webinar: http://zooshare.clickwebinar.com/ZooShare_Information_Session/register
info at zooshare.ca | zooshare.ca | @zooshare | facebook.com/zooshare
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/3810707930

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Budrus - outdoor film screening

Friday, July 13th @ 7pm
Christie Pits Park (Bloor and Christie)
Free admission!

Party in the Pits: Join the Toronto Palestine Film Festival (TPFF) for an evening of Palestinian treats, games and an outdoor screening of the award winning film, Budrus, by Julia Bacha.  We screened Budrus as the closing night film back in 2010 to a sold out theatre of 850+. Here's your chance to see the film if you missed it (or if you simply want to watch it again!). We will also have some delicious Palestinian food, cotton candy, popcorn and of course, music, for you to enjoy before the screening.

Film trailer - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQQ8F2W5eB0&feature=related
Film website - http://www.justvision.org/budrus
Facebook event page - https://www.facebook.com/events/308587222566523
www.tpff.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mad Think Tank Series

Fri. July 13
246 Sackville St. Meeting Room

2 - 2:30 p.m. - Mad Empowerment Presented by Tina Shapiro - Through empowerment, mad people become politicized, confident, and build a new mad identity within the mad community – with whatever language people choose to identify themselves.

2:30 - 4 p.m. - Rewriting Your Case File: turn the tables on their labels With Erick Fabris, Annu Saini, and Ruth Ruth - Friendly support and examples will help you rewrite your story as you see it, not as others see it. Fun and interesting, this workshop allows you to deflect the impolite stare of psychiatry.

4 - 5:30 p.m. - Shades of Grey: Anti-Ableism 101 - The concepts of “mentalism” and “sanism” are introduced in this workshop. Mentalism is a form of discrimination against people who are labelled as having a mental illness. Sanism is a system of discrimination that GIVES preferences to behaviours, and ways of experiencing the world, and calls them “sane.” By questioning the boundaries of what is considered “socially acceptable” and “socially unacceptable” behaviour, the workshop explores how these boundaries are shaped by different forms of discrimination, including racism and ableism.

5:30 - 7 p.m. - Out to Lunch: The first ever LGBTQ/Mad Pride dinner and discussion

7 - 9 p.m. - A Book Reading - Featuring the work of:
Erick Fabris, Tranquil Prisons: Chemical Incarceration Under Community Treatment Orders
Tom Charabin, Stable Chaos: How I Zeroed Oppression
Sarafin, Asylum Squad Side Story: The Psychosis Diaries

www.madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Alternate Reality Mad Culture Night

Friday July 13
May Robinson Auditorium, 20 Westlodge Ave, (one block east of Lansdowne, north of Queen)

5 - 7 p.m. Open stage/mic for mad people to talk, rant, sing, perform, act
7 - 7:30 p.m. - Marks Of Attention, a monologue written by Helen Posno about oppression and abuse.
7:30 - 8:15 - Wrestling With Fear, by Henrik Kartna.
8:15 - 9:30 - The Adventures of Dog, A Tragicomedy

Free. All Welcome.
http://www.globalserve.net/~friendlyspike/
www.madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Great Escape Bed Push Parade and Party

Sat. July 14
12:30-3:30pm: Parade
3:30-5pm: Party
CAMH, 1001 Queen Street W. Meet outside at the corner of Queen/Shaw.

This parade from 1001 Queen Street W. (CAMH) to 1499 Queen Street W. (PARC) signifies our escape from asylums back into the community. Join us for some speeches, drumming, and a march/roll down the sidewalks of Queen Street W. Bring your costumes, pajamas, hats, mad gear, placards, signs, banners, instruments, children, family, friends – and yourself! There will be food and fun when we arrive at our final destination.
www.madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

MAD Love: Fool, (Psych) Floors, and Fornication

Sat. July 14
8 - 9:30 p.m. - Mad Comedy Jam
10 - 10:45 p.m. - Running Red Lights Show
onward - Mad Dance Party featuring the spins of Rezerex
The Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Avenue (west of Spandina, south of Bloor)

On the night of the Great Escape Bed Push Parade, Mad Pride will take over The Tranzac Club for an evening of comedy, music, and dance party Madness. The theme of the evening is mad love, sex, and relationships - something we all enjoy, or at least love to laugh about.

Pay what you can (suggested $10 donation)  www.madprideto.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

3rd Annual Latin American And Caribbean Solidarity Network Fundraiser BBQ

Sunday, July 15, noon
Area 15, High Park, 1873 Bloor Street West
$10 plate (vegetarian option)

Solidarity Picnic Fundraiser. BBQ + Activities + Music + Soccer + Friends + Activities for Children. Collective making of fruit/vegetable salads!
All funds Raised Will Go To Help LACSN carry On Its Solidarity Work.

Please RSVP @ rburbano at hotmail.com or call 647 984 6525
http://lacsn.weebly.com/events--eventos.html or https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/413436022028959/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in