Greenspiration News: Bikes, activism, politricks

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Fri Jul 20 00:02:54 EDT 2012

Greenspiration News

"Those who contemplate the beauty of the earth find reserves of strength that will endure as long as life lasts."   -- Rachel Carson

Bikes and Urban Design

How Bikes Can Solve Our Biggest Problems Infographic

A Tale of two cycling visionaries Bicycle Bob Silverman and Angela Bischoff share their thoughts and feelings about two of Canada's most celebrated cycling visionaries, Montreal's Claire Morissette and Toronto's Tooker Gomberg. 17 min. audio documentary.

The Simple, Inexpensive Breakthrough That Is Transforming American Cities: Bike facilities The United States has witnessed a boom in bicycling over the past 15 years, proving that bikes aren't just for kids and recreational riders anymore. They are an essential component of 21st Century transportation systems that can cut congestion on crowded streets, save money in transportation budgets, improve traffic safety and reduce pollution.

Ithaca mayor turns his personal parking space into a mini-park

Why We Fall In Love With Bicycles: Seven Reasons to Get On And Ride Bicycles aren't just more eco-friendly; they're a joyous, human, romantic way to travel.

Activism

Burning Bright This is a good CBC radio documentary that was produced a few years ago and recently rebroadcast. It's about activist burnout. Tooker and I are featured, as well as some other Canadian activists.

Jailed Russian Punk-Rockers 'Pussy Riot' Begin Hunger Strike

Quebec's conflict of contrasting social visions
What began as a protest over tuition hikes has now become a standoff over a much deeper political discord in Quebec.

Quebec students: ten talking points The issue is debt, not tuition fees.

Casseroles - Montréal, 24 Mai 2012 3 min. video
Quebec students challenge dogma Text by Linda McQuaig. But watch the 6 min. video as well.

Jason Bajada's song for Montreal: The sound your life makes 5 min. video of the pots and pans rallies around the country

How did Quebec Students Mobilize Hundreds of Thousands for Strike? 3 students discuss the role of direct democracy and political demands in building a massive movement. 11 min. video

Terror is in the Eye of the Beholder: Alberta’s Counterterrorism Unit to Protect Oil and Gas Industry  The Canadian government has expanded their early terrorist concerns with “financial security and Al-Queda-inspired terror groups” to include “activist groups, indigenous groups, environmentalists and others who are publicly critical of government policy.”

Police Remove Activists from International Trade Party for Staging Fake Award Ceremony – hahaha – more Yes-men brilliance and bravery.

Oil-Soaked Bears and Fake Businessmen: How the Yes Men and Greenpeace Punked Shell
Last week, a fake video of an oil industry party went viral. I was there. Here's how it all went down
Humor vs monsters An interview with Yes Man Andy Bichlbaum on why every protest needs some fun.

Of what we are capable - Anonymous We are Anonymous. Expect Us. Cyberhactivists are organizing.

Politricks

Hey Mr. Prime Minister – what are you afraid of? Comic/essay/art/cartoon by Franke James.
Understanding Harper's Evangelical Mission Signs mount that Canada's government is beholden to a religious agenda averse to science and rational debate. By Andrew Nikiforuk

Chris Hedges Catch this CBC radio interview with Chris Hedges. He argues that a revolution is brewing in the U.S., and Canada is suffering the same disease of decay. Brilliant.

Climate Change

Global Warming's Terrifying New Math Three simple numbers that add up to global catastrophe - and that make clear who the real enemy is – By Bill McKibbon

James Hansen: Why I must speak out about climate change TED Talk

Climate Change? Blame Canada The Nicest Country On Earth is now a petro-state, recklessly drilling for profits as the world warms

Big Pharma

Fifty Years After The Myth of Mental Illness by Thomas Sasz

GlaxoSmithKline fined $3 billion over Paxil, Wellbutrin, Avandia misconduct in largest health fraud settlement in history The British company illegally marketed depression drug Paxil to children and teens, even sponsoring dinners and spa programs in the drug’s name. Glaxo also used sham advisory boards and speakers at lavish resorts to promote depression drug Wellbutrin as an option for weight loss and a remedy for sexual dysfunction and substance addiction. Customers were urged to use higher-than-approved dosages. The health care giant was also accused by prosecutors of advertising off-label uses for asthma drug Advair, seizure medication Lamictal and nausea treatment Zofran while also making false claims about the safety and usefulness of such drugs. The government also accused Glaxo of offering kickbacks to medical professionals, dangling cash, trips to Florida, and tickets to basketball games as incentives to promote and prescribe its drugs.

Take a Pill, Kill Your Sex Drive? 6 Reasons Antidepressants Are Misnamed

Misc.

Cell Phone Radiation & Breast Cancer 3 min. video

Canadian Sea Activist, Paul Watson, Facing Charge Vows To Fight On

Cooperative Banking, the Exciting Wave of the Future Rather than feeding off the community, banking can nourish the community and local economy.

Why You Should Be Humble And Live Humbly, In My Humble Opinion Consider your place in the Universe. Think about all the people who existed before you and all the people who will exist after you. When it comes down to it, you are really a dot on the long line of humanity.

------

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in