T.O. Greenspiration Events: Ride for Fallen Cyclists

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Aug 12 23:41:18 EDT 2012

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend! -a

---------------------------------------

Summerworks Performance Festival

Aug. 9 - 19 - theatre, music, art
http://summerworks.ca/2012/

---------------------------------------

Waste Watchers

To ensure residents affected by the change can register their concerns or complaints, Local 416 has established a "Waste Watchers" hotline. Residents who observe shoddy service, mixing of waste streams (garbage, recyclables, organics), dangerous driver activity or other problems, are encouraged to contact 1-866-419-2227 and make a report.
http://local416.com/gfl-waste-watchers-hotline/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tools for Conviviality

till August 26
The Power Plant, Harbourfront

Bringing together artists and practices that create and engage tools to effect change and reconsider social behaviour, Tools for Conviviality includes works that are interactive as well as mechanisms towards self-help, political shifts, ritual devices, potential weapons, and means for critique.
http://thepowerplant.org/Exhibitions/2012/2012_Summer/Tools-for-Conviviality.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Ride for Fallen Cyclists

Mon. Aug. 13, meet at 8 a.m.
Spadina and Bloor

We’ve lost another cyclist, this one due to streetcar tracks. The city can fill those gaps in, making them safer for cyclists, but that would cost $$, and cyclists aren’t a priority in this car-congested smog-town called Caronto. Call your City Councillor.
For more info see Cycle Toronto's release: http://bikeunion.to/news/2012/08/07/cycle-toronto-calls-city-toronto-investigate-streetcar-track-hazards

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Emerald Ash Borer Town Hall

Mon. Aug. 13, 7:30 p.m.
Swansea Townhall, 95 Lavinia Ave.

All 860,000 ash trees in Toronto are at risk of dying from an infestation of hte Emerald Ash Borer, an invasive insect that destroys healthy ash trees. LEAF will present current information on ash trees as well as options for treatment, removal and planting.
Sponsored by Councillor Sarah Doucette, LEAF and Green13

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Solar Taxi, Around the World with the Sun

Tues. August 14, Doors: 6:30pm; Showtimes: 7:30pm
BMO Atrium at Evergreen Brick Works
$10 suggested donation

What began as a childhood dream is now an epic 18-month adventure spanning the globe. Making history as the world’s first circumnavigator powered exclusively by the sun, Swiss school teacher Louis Palmer and his homemadeSolartaxi have set out to prove to the world that a zero emission car is not a dream. With stops at the United Nations World Climate Change Conference and renewable energy expos and research centres worldwide, Louis demonstrates to a multitude of passengers—including princes, movie stars, politicians and scientists—that solar energy is not only functional and efficient, but a reliable alternative to fossil fuels. Come early and enjoy Family Pizza night. Fresh, home-made pizzas from our wood-fired oven for just $3.
http://ebw.evergreen.ca/whats-on/film-nights

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Blackout Party – 9th Anniversary – and Mass Bike Ride

Tues. Aug. 14th
8:30 p.m. – meet at Bloor and Spadina for the warm-up party with Lemon Bucket Orkestra
9:15 we ride!
Don’t miss this year’s finale surprise…

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Joy of Scent, Practical Aromatherapy for The Spirit at Anarres

Tues. August 14, 10 am - 4 p.m
Anarres Natural Health, 792A Dovercourt Road
For more info and to register: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/432

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Palestine Blues

Wednesday, August 15 @ 7pm
@ Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (near Bloor and Bathurst)

NEW program series! Every 2nd or 3rd Wednesday of the month - a documentary film about Palestine, Israel or wider region.

What is left for Palestinian farmers who learn that in 24 hours the Israeli Army will confiscate their lands for the construction of the Separation or Apartheid Wall? What do people do when their very survival is threatened by one of the world's most powerful armies? Palestine Blues tells the story of a village's confusion, desperation, and resistance, their daily victories and wrenching defeats. Unexpectedly filled with moments of poetry and humor this film's intimate access, unforgettable characters and story structure blur the line between documentary and narrative. Filmed at times with a hidden camera and at times under extreme duress, Palestinian-American filmmaker Nida Sinnokrot gives us a lasting chronicle of a people and their ancient life-giving orchards, ever threatened by destruction.
To learn more. http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/12-08-15/Doc_Palestine_Blues.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Communist Propaganda: Red Theatre and Music

Wednesday, August 15, 9 pm - midnight
Hen House, 1532 Dundas St. West

Join Toronto's Proletarian Revolutionary Action Committee and Revolutionary Student Movement, an OPIRG-Toronto Action group, for raucous performances and of course, revolutionary music - all in the name of communist propaganda!

- Main act: Gandie is a young student activist at a well known, bourgeois university. Frustrated with endless Facebook flame wars--correcting reactionaries and liberals crying foul to Mao's supposed death toll--and other forms of unfruitful propaganda work, she heads to the streets. She begins a program of delivering her communist propaganda to the masses, with hilarious, and unexpected, results.
- DJ Hamma & Sickle back to spin some propagandistic music for your dancing pleasure
http://rsmtoronto.wordpress.com/2012/08/10/367/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A History of Forgetting
with Clay and Paper Theatre

to August 26
Wednesday, Thursdays & Fridays at 7:00 PM
Saturdays & Sundays at 2:00 PM and 7:00 PM
Outdoors at Dufferin Grove Park (South of Bloor, across from the Dufferin Mall parking lot)
Pay What You Can, $10 donation suggested.

Clay & Paper Theatre is performing their new summer show in Dufferin Grove Park this season. For their 16th season in the park, Clay & Paper will present A History of Forgetting, a play by David Anderson and Krista Dalby  (their fifth collaboration) about modern hubris, and our exceptional lack of humility in the face of the past. This year’s show will introduce Torontonians to a set inspired by the Surrealist painters: a giant pair of hands, a seven foot tall face, melting clocks, a baby narrator, and a slew of unlikely characters pulled out of Time to jog our memory.
For more info: http://www.clayandpapertheatre.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Adventures in Slumberland

Till Aug. 26 - Wed. - Sun. 11:15 a.m., 12:15 p.m., 1:15 p.m, and 2:15 p.m. (weather permitting)
Lagoon Theatre, Centre Island
$10 or paywhatyouthink

Prepare to be amazed as the delightful and bizarre dream world of a little boy named Nemo is brought to life before you. This family show is an adaptation of Little Nemo in Slumberland, a weekly comic created by Winsor McCay from 1905-1912, still regarded as one of the greatest comic strips of all time. With puppetry, circus, masks & music Frolick Theatre invites people of all ages to get away to Centre Island this summer.
http://www.frolick.ca/
https://www.facebook.com/events/257102567727673/permalink/261845163920080/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Urban Agriculture Summit

Wed. - Sat. August 15 - 18
At Ryerson University, 55 Gould St. (near Dundas and Yonge)

Around the world people are growing food in cities! The Urban Agriculture Summit features a comprehensive lineup of workshops,
keynote speakers panels, tours, and  professional development opportunities.

Click here to see some of the Summit's enlightening speakers.  http://urbanagsummit.org/index.php/program/keynotesandsessions
Register: http://www.urbanagsummit.org/index.php/registration-holder
Main website: http://www.urbanagsummit.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Growing the City
A reception to launch the GrowTO Urban Agriculture Action Plan with celebrated urban farmer Will Allen.

Toronto City Hall Rotunda, 100 Queen Street West
Thursday, August 16, 6:30 - 8:00 pm
This free event is open to the public. Refreshments will be served.

Hosted by the Toronto Food Policy Council, the August 16th reception at City Hall is a public celebration of green ideas and innovations, and will serve to put Toronto on the map as a leader in urban agriculture and sustainable city-building. We are thrilled that Will Allen of Growing Power in the United States will speak and be available to sign his new book "The Good Food Revolution," along with the authors of other recent urban agriculture books.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Krudas Cubensi

Thursday, 16 August, doors 9 p.m., show starts at 10 p.m.
Lula Lounge, 1585 Dundas Street West (Dundas and Dufferin)

Revolutionary, queer, vegan activists and multidisciplinary musicians and artists will take the very diverse Toronto by storm this summer! Do not miss it! We promise you harcore inspiration! Odaymara Cuesta and Olivia Prendes , artists from Cuba , vegan activists , musicians , poets , theater performers , visual Arts designers , Hip Hop MCs representing queers, emigrants, womyn and people of color actions as a central part of world change . They choose the art as a weapon to fight for rights, for social justice, for balance, against oppression.
http://www.myspace.com/3krudas/blog/544175156
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Krudas-Cubensi/329774232065

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

International Influences: Inspiring Ideas For Trees In Public Space
with Brendan Stewart, Landscape Architect and Urban Designer, ERA Architects, Toronto

Thursday, August 16,  7 p.m. - 8:30 p.m.
Metro Hall, 55 John St, Rooms 308-309 (John and Adelaide)
Free. Register at: http://www.yourleaf.org/event/2012-08-16/international-influences-inspiring-ideas-trees-public-space

Planting trees to enhance and humanize our cities is a practice as old as human civilization.  Join us as we explore the rich aesthetic traditions and histories of planting trees in gardens, parks and urban open spaces from around the world, and how these practices shape our ideas about green space here in Toronto.  Through images of beautiful and inspirational designed landscapes we’ll learn how designing with trees can enhance our experience of place, and join in a discussion about the relevance of these traditions today. This event qualifies for ISA Continuing Education Units (CEU).

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Hearing of Jeremy Hinzman

One year into the Iraq war, a US soldier walked into a small courtroom in Toronto to make an extraordinary request: to become the first US refugee in Canada. Should Canada stand up to the US and protect a soldier who refuses to fight? An electrifying verbatim theatre project.

Thurs. August 16, 4:30 PM
Fri. August 17, 2:00 PM
Sat. August 18, 7:00 PM
Sun. August 19, 4:30 PM
http://summerworks.ca/2012/portfolio/jeremy/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Sleep-In In Defense of Dufferin Grove

Fri. Aug. 17, 7 p.m. - Sat. Aug. 18, 11 a.m. (breakfast 8:30 a.m.)
Dufferin Grove Park, Near the Fire Pit

The City has been cutting wages and program funding for parks across Toronto. Dufferin Grove's 2012 budget has already been cut by nearly $100,000! Everything you love about this unique park is now at risk. Last year, Grove-lovers demonstrated our willingness to fight for this park by holding a one-night, family-oriented protest "sleep-in"... Apparently, the City didn't get the message the first time, so this year we're coming back!!
https://www.facebook.com/events/452448124787328/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Camp Sis Women and Trans Music Festival and Retreat

August 17-19, 2 hours north of Toronto

Concerts, Workshops, Yoga, Guitar Playing, Round Robin Performances, Indigenous Hand Drumming, Slam Poetry, Song Workshops
Music by: The Eagle Wimin Singerz, Rosary Spence, Lena Recollect (the red slam collective), Pamela Dogra and Faith Nolan.
Our aims are to create community, enjoy nature. Through artistic expression we will use music as a political tool for social change. This safe space for women and trans is cost free camping as we raised funds in our communities to build and maintain the camp.

Camp Sis has been around 17 years + and is led by indigenous and WOC. We are a group of diverse queer women, trans, Aboriginal, Latina, Black, South Asian, East Asian, Middle Eastern, and White who believe another world is possible and that together we are unstoppable.
More information, carpooling, and tickets please go to www.facebook.com/pages/CAMP-SIS/173433642720306
Tickets for the festival also available at the Toronto Women's Bookstore on Harbord St.
Festival cost - Pay what you can up to $50. (+sign up for 2 x 2 hour workshifts ie. cooking, food prep, etc.)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Introduction to Organic Gardening and Permaculture Workshop
With Garden Jane

Sat Aug 18, 9 a.m. - 4:15 p.m.
at High Park Childrens' Garden
$100 (delegates) $125 (non-delegates), includes resources. Pre-registration required.

Permaculture gardening is the conscious design of garden ecosystems that mimic the diversity, stability and resilience of natural ecosystems. We ask and observe, what would nature do? This hands-on workshop introduces permaculture theory and ways to apply it in your home or community garden. Topics: organic gardening basics; permaculture design and practices; working with water; plant guilds (plants that grow well together, help soil tilth and support the larger ecosystem); dynamic accumulators (plants that accumulate nutrients & feed the soil); plants and plant selection; starting new gardens and soil building; putting garden to bed; cover crops & mulches; composting; humans and other animals; working less for more; diversity gardening.
Find out more: http://www.gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents.html
Part of Toronto Urban Agriculture Conference.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take A Sick Day!

Saturday, August 18, 10:30 am - 6 pm
Art Gallery of Ontario’s Weston Family Learning Centre

Take A Sick Day! aims to create discussion about how our communities deal with our disabilities, our bodies, and our health on our own terms. The day will be filled with wisdom, the arts and creativity for young people of colour who live with disabilities. This event is open to Indigenous and racialized youth who self-identify as disabled; who experience or live with physical, cognitive, emotional differences; and/or who are critical of being labeled disabled, disordered, dysfunctional, sick.

The objective of Disabled Young People’s Project is to connect young people with disabilities. DYPP centers the experiences of young people of colour with disabilities through arts based initiatives and community events.  We are a diverse group of racialized people who identity with or find disability concretely relevant to our everyday lives. Take a Sick Day! is about doing you. Full stop. Period. No comma. No shade, no shame, and no apologies.

Organized by the DYPP: The Disabled Young Peoples Project.
http://rabble.ca/whatsup/disabled-young-people’s-project-presents-take-sick-day-art-gallery-ontario

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peaches by the Bushel

Pick up at Sorauren Farmer's Market Monday Aug 20 (3-7pm)
WEFC introduces its 'In Season' program with Bizjak's peaches. Peaches available for purchase in bulk, starting at $35/half-bushel up to $120/two bushels. Place your order by Aug 15 for Aug 20 pick-up.
Click here for details. http://westendfood.coop/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=176

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Forest of Dreams is an ecological charity set up to purchase, manage and preserve in perpetuity, identified areas of land suited to being left wild as a place of sanctuary.
https://sites.google.com/site/forestofdreamssite/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Changing of the Seasons Gathering in Temagami - with Earthroots

Over the weekend of September 15th Alex Mathias, an Ojibway Elder, will host his annual Changing of the Seasons Ceremony to celebrate the fall equinox on his traditional family territory in the Temagami region of Ontario.
https://www.facebook.com/events/265813863524095/declines/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride 4 Real Food 4 All 2nd annual Bike-A-thon.

Sunday Sept 16 (8:30am-4pm)
Choose from a 30k, 50k or 100k ride.
This year's event takes riders on scenic routes along the foodways connecting the city with the countryside.
http://westendfood.coop/bikeathon2012

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Earth Defenders: Activist Skillshare & Retreat

Join us September 21-23rd for Greenpeace’s second annual Earth Defenders Training and Skillshare
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/Blog/ontario-earth-defenders-activist-skillshare-r/blog/41610/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bow Ties for Boobs - A Rockin’ Burlesque for Breast Cancer Prevention
A fundraiser for WHEN – Women’s Healthy Environment Network

Thursday, October 18, 7 p.m.
The Revival Lounge, 783 College Street

Great shows - Great prizes - Great food - Great cause - prevention is the cure!  WHEN accomplishes its vision through education, outreach and policy.  Take action for prevention!

Get your tickets now: http://bowtiesforboobs.eventbrite.ca/
For more info, call Kerri @ 416 303-0841 or email kerribrock at gmail.com
http://www.womenshealthyenvironments.ca/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in