No Nukes News: what's up with nuclear cost overruns?

Angela Bischoff-OCAA angela at cleanairalliance.org
Thu Aug 16 14:18:51 EDT 2012

No Nukes News

Aug. 16, 2012 – Please pass this onto a friend!

By-elections have been called for K-W and Vaughan. Help us get the word out that it’s time to make  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/kwfaq.pdf> nuclear cost overruns a thing of the past! No more special deals. Please  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/petition1> sign this petition calling on the Ontario legislature to end the practice of passing on nuclear cost overruns to ratepayers and taxpayers. And help us distribute this leaflet <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/kw.pdf>  in K-W. Contact Angela <mailto:angela at cleanairalliance.org>  to get involved.

Our first K-W by-election candidate has signed the Electricity Consumer Protection Pledge <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/pledge> , promising to protest taxpayers and ratepayers from out of control nuclear spending by committing to end nuclear cost overruns. Thank you GPO candidate Stacey Danckert! Watch the 1 min. video here <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CmBXHQ1raEY&feature=plcp> .

“Are we witnessing the end of nuclear power? We have had half a century to find a good solution to the problem of nuclear waste, and we are no closer now than we were in the 1960s. That is because there is no ‘good solution.’ We will never be able to find a risk-free method of storing nuclear waste.” - U.S. Rep. Dennis Kucinich <http://bit.ly/NMKBtx>

The World

☢   <http://www.japantimes.co.jp/text/nn20120812a2.html> Radioactive fallout from Fukushima nuclear meltdowns caused abnormalities in Japan's butterflies The team collected another 238 butterflies last September and determined that the abnormality rate stood at 28 percent. However, it nearly doubled to 52 percent among a second generation born to the original butterflies caught. Here’s another story here <http://huff.to/QBw5pA> , with videos, and here <http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-19245818>  is the BBC’s take.

☢   <http://www.gcc.ca/newsarticle.php?id=281> James Bay Cree Nation Enacts Permanent Uranium Moratorium in James Bay Territory  “The Cree Nation is determined to protect our economies and way of life against the unique and grave threat posed by uranium mining and uranium waste, today and for thousands of years to come,” said Grand Chief Dr. Matthew Coon Come. “We are not opposed to sustainable and equitable mining and other industrial and resource development activities in Eeyou Istchee – but the toxic and radiation risks created by uranium mining and uranium waste are unique in scale and duration.”

☢   <http://bit.ly/MuUvoo> Aboriginal Elders unanimously reject nuclear waste storage in Northern Saskatchewan

☢   <http://www.katiethegoat.org/> Katie the Goat – Nuclear Whistleblower – Succumbs to Cancer Katie the Goat, whose milk contained high levels of radioactivity when she lived near the Millstone Nuclear Power Plant in Connecticut and who was stricken with inoperable cancer, died on Sunday, August 12, 2012

☢  <http://nyti.ms/Rzy01S> The Nun Who Broke Into the Nuclear Sanctum “It’s the criminality of this 70-year industry,” she said. “We spend more on nuclear arms than on the departments of education, health, transportation, disaster relief and a number of other government agencies that I can’t remember.”

☢  <http://bit.ly/NMKBtx> Waste Issue Halts U.S. Nuclear Reactor Licensing The U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission, which oversees commercial nuclear power enterprises, has halted the issuance of all new nuclear reactor licensing decisions after a court ruling citing the failure of industry and government to identify an acceptable solution for the long-term storage of nuclear waste.

☢  <http://nyti.ms/Nyxmh7> Heat Shuts Down a Coastal Reactor A reactor in Connecticut has shut down because of something that its 1960s designers never anticipated: the water in Long Island Sound was too warm to cool it.

☢  <http://bit.ly/Pm6ANL> Extreme Heat, Drought Show Vulnerability of Nuclear Power Plants

☢  <http://bit.ly/Qjn5Fy> The "Devil's Tango" at Fukushima No matter where we are on this planet, our lives are still threatened every day by a Unit 4 fuel pool left hanging 100 feet in the air. At any moment, an earthquake we all know is coming could send that pool crashing to the ground. If that happens---and it could as you read this---the radiation spewed into the atmosphere could impact every living being on Earth.

☢  <http://bit.ly/NkxAM1> Japan: Activists Score in Fight Against Nuclear Power

Ontario

☢   <http://bit.ly/PfKcVw> Bill C-38's first victim: Groups forced to drop court action against radioactive waste export

☢   <http://bit.ly/P8y0FN> What’s the Plan Toronto? Help DNTO bring Toronto’s Nuclear Emergency Plan to light and public scrutiny by sending your Councillor a letter.

☢   <http://bit.ly/RH4mtb> Nuclear delay not Bruce Power’s fault, says power authority

☢  <http://bruce-nuclear-waste-burial.weebly.com/> Burying Nuclear Waste at the Bruce: OPG's Proposed Deep Geological Repository This new web site has been created by a network of citizens groups who are concerned about nuclear waste. Ontario Power Generation is proposing to bury 200,000 cubic metres of low and intermediate level radioactive wastes deep underground in caverns carved out of limestone on the shore of Lake Huron. A public review is underway, and hearings are expected to begin in 2013.

Renewables and Conservation

☼    <http://bit.ly/RDZuFb> Total U.S. Wind Power Now Equals 11 Nuclear Plants In less than a decade of serious wind turbine installation, in the face of often-hostile political opposition, we’re already producing more than 1/10th the power that nuke plants do—and the vast majority of that buildup has taken place in the last 5 years alone.

☼    <http://bit.ly/Nh4A7M> Fukushima disaster paves way for new geothermal plants

Act Now!

☢  <http://chn.ge/Qf2tSQ> Release the true, complete, unsubsidized costs of Nuclear Power Generation Sign the petition.

☢ Please send a message to  <mailto:christopher.bentley at ontario.ca> Energy Minister Chris Bentley (and cc me <mailto:angela at cleanairalliance.org> ) asking him to protect taxpayers and electricity consumers by flipping the switch off superfluous coal-fired electric generation and mothballing Pickering.  It’s time for the province to finally end its expensive and dangerous coal and nuclear bear hugs and embrace safer and cheaper alternatives instead. For more info. <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/node/1121>

☢  <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/get_involved_order_pamphlets> Order our new leaflet calling on the ON gov’t to halt their massive nuclear expansion plans – they’re free and contain postcards <http://www.cleanairalliance.org/files/OCAA_CutSomeWaste-web.pdf>  to Energy Minister Bentley asking him to favour lower-cost, safer and greener options. Distribute them to your friends and neighbours.

Events

☢  <https://www.facebook.com/events/401213139940516/> K-W Leaflet Blitz #2 Thur. Aug. 16, 6 p.m. Meet at Whole Lot-A Gelata, 120 King Street South, Waterloo. Gelato is on me!

☢  <http://saveoursaugeenshores.org/> Dumpstock – Sat. Aug. 18. Spend a day in beautiful Saugeen Shores, listen to great music, and learn about the plan to bury Canada’s nuclear waste below Lake Huron

☢  <http://bit.ly/MbLuuS> Sustainable Energy Options (Green Energy Introduction) Aug 25, Kortright Centre, Woodbridge, ON. The course will help home or cottage owners decide what technologies make sense for them, and provide participants with an understanding of technologies in the renewable energy sector.

Angela Bischoff

Outreach Director

Ontario Clean Air Alliance

Tel: 416 260-2080 x 1