T.O. Greenspiration Events: First earth

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Aug 26 18:27:07 EDT 2012

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend. -a

p.s. If you can spare an evening between now and Sept. 6 (the by-election date) to raise awareness about nuclear costs, please let me know: angela at cleanairalliance.org

---------------------------------------

Food Inc.

Sun. Aug. 26, 10 p.m.
CBC News Network

In the Oscar-nominated Food, Inc., producer-director Robert Kenner and investigative authors Eric Schlosser (Fast Food Nation) and Michael Pollan (The Omnivore's Dilemma) lift the veil on the U.S. food industry - an industry that has often put profit ahead of consumer health, the livelihoods of American farmers, the safety of workers and our own environment.

http://www.cbc.ca/documentaries/passionateeyeshowcase/2010/foodinc/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Farmers Markets are exploding with local fresh and organic produce. Don't miss this tasty and nutritious season... Food is political!

Find a complete list of Toronto's Farmers Markets here: http://www.foodshare.net/animators04.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebrate Yonge!
August 17 – Sept 16

Come experience Downtown Yonge like never before! Beautiful planters are creating temporary spaces for people right on Yonge Street between Queen and Gerrard. Have a drink at one of our licensed patios, lounge in the many outdoor seating areas or sip a cold beverage at an outdoor café. Explore our 11 themed event areas to find the available activities, promotions, art installations and more!

http://www.celebrateyonge.com/index.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Follow the Expedition to Protect KI First Nation’s Watershed

From August 24 to September 7 a team of fromKitchenuhmaykoosib Inninuwug (KI) Indigenous Nation, will venture 300 km beyond the nearest road to paddle the ancient route from the KI village to the Arctic Ocean at Hudson's Bay along the free-flowing Fawn and Severn Rivers. Along the way they will document and promote this wild watershed and the deep connection the community has to their life-giving river.

http://kilands.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Two Ghost Bike Memorial Rides

Mon. Aug. 27
7:30 am Bike Pirates (Bloor and Dufferin) to Islington by 8 am, then to Mississauga
6:30 pm Spadina to Scarborough

2 cyclists were killed last week. One was a 75 year old man that was hit and then fled.  The second was an 18 year old hit at a red light.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

First Earth

Mon. Aug. 27, 7 p.m.
Loft 404, 263 Adelaide St. W.

Screening of the 90-minute documentary film on sustainable living "FIRST EARTH - Uncompromising Ecological Architecture" + Q&A with director David Sheen. FIRST EARTH is a documentary about the movement towards a massive paradigm shift for shelter -- building healthy houses in the old ways, out of the very earth itself, and living together like in the old days, by recreating villages. It is a sprawling film, shot on location from the West Coast to West Africa. An audiovisual manifesto filmed over the course of 4 years and 4 continents, FIRST EARTH makes the case that earthen homes are the healthiest housing in the world; and that since it still takes a village to raise a healthy child, it is incumbent upon us to transform our suburban sprawl into eco-villages, a new North American dream. FIRST EARTH is not a how-to film; rather, it's a why-to film.

Film Trailer: http://bit.ly/1stearth
TEDx Talk: http://bit.ly/ecoarch
Film Website: http://www.davidsheen.com/firstearth
Event: https://www.facebook.com/events/342471665840312/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

El Contrato
Screening and discussion

Tues. Aug. 28, 7 p.m.
Evergreen Brick Works, BMO Atrium.
*A shuttle bus will be available to transport audiences between Evergreen and Broadview subway station. The shuttle will be extended on August 28 with the last shuttle leaving at 9:15 PM.
Free

Join DOC Toronto as we launch our Community Connections free screening series with a celebration of El Contrato with director Min Sook Lee and subjects in attendance! This brave documentary was defiantly produced 10 years ago with the National Film Board of Canada and has been making a positive difference ever since.

Synopsis: El Contrato follows Teodoro Bello Martinez, a father of four living in poverty in central Mexico, and several of his countrymen as they make an annual migration to southern Ontario. For eight months of the year the town's population absorbs 4,000 migrant labourers who pick tomatoes for conditions and wages no local will accept. Under a well-meaning government program that allows growers to monitor themselves, the opportunity to exploit workers is as ripe as the fruit they pick. Grievances are deflected by a long line of others "back home" who are willing to take their place. Despite a fear of repercussions, the workers voice their desire for dignity and respect, as much as for better working conditions. El Contrato ends as winter closes in and the Mexicans pledge, not for the first time and possibly not the last, that it's their final season in the north.

www.doctoronto.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/378658592200229/permalink/380660855333336/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rally Against Draconian Legislation

Tues.  August 28, noon
Queen’s Park

Join in solidarity with CUPE and ETFO.  The early recall of the Legislature in order to introduce legislation that will impose contracts upon all teachers and education workers is in an affront to collective bargaining. This move by the government is unprecedented and undemocratic and it must not go unopposed. Stand up for the rights of all workers in Ontario and protest this cynically and politically motivated attack.

https://www.facebook.com/events/498926103469311/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

LGBTQ Gardening Group

Tues. Aug. 28, 5 - 7 p.m.
AccessPoint on Danforth - 3079 Danforth Avenue

A monthly gardening group for lesbian, gay, bi, trans, two-spirited, intersex, gender queer and queer people. Join us the 4thTuesday of every month! No experience required. Learn about how to grow healthy foods. Enjoy the beautiful oasis of the Green Roof. Meet new friends. Share the harvest.

Please contact Lara to register or for more info: 416-699-7920 ext 405, lmrosovsky at accessalliance.ca
http://accessalliance.ca/content/lgbtq-gardening-group
https://www.facebook.com/events/330372293719917/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peach Pie Filling Canning Workshop

Tues. Aug. 28, 6 – 9 p.m.
FoodShare, 90 Croatia Street (steps south of Bloor Street on Brock Avenue.)
$50

Learn to make and preserve peach pie filling with locally harvested peaches!
http://westendfood.coop/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=179

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tomato Salsa Canning Workshop

Wed. Aug. 29, 6 – 9 p.m.
FoodShare, 90 Croatia Street (steps south of Bloor Street on Brock Avenue.)
$50

Learn to make and preserve tomato salsa with locally harvested tomatoes and veggies!
http://westendfood.coop/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=180

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Democracy Salon
With the Canadian Electoral Alliance

Wednesday August 29, 6 – 8 p.m.
The 519 Community Centre, 519 Church Street (n. of Wellesley)

Admission: bring a snack to share
Appetizers - nibbles and snacks

1. Planning of Town Hall October 2, 2012 Canadian Democracy in Crisis: Taking Action on Electoral Reform
2. Discussion of next steps

Invite your friends to our Democracy Salon and take Canada to real democracy!
contact at electoralalliance.ca
www.electoralalliance.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Laila's Birthday

Wednesday, August 29 @ 7pm
@ Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (1 door south of Bloor - at Bathurst subway)

The film chronicles a day in the life of a Palestinian cab driver (a day that also happens to be his daughter's seventh birthday). The plot consists of little more than a series of deliberately undramatic and wryly humorous vignettes and the cross section of humanity that passes through his cab that day. His passengers include a just-paroled ex-con, an amorous young couple looking for a place to be alone, a woman on her way to the cemetery and the hospital, and another woman whose husband has just been killed in a car bombing. Laila's Birthday doesn't push its political points or go for grand dramatic gestures and themes. It merely observes daily life as this one man witnesses it, finding humor in some of the unlikeliest of places. To learn more.

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/12-08-29/Film_Laila_s_Birthday.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Art Spin
– for bikers and rollers

Thur. August 30
Meet at 6:30 at Dufferin Grove Park (Dufferin south of Bloor), tour leaves at 7

The tour wraps up at around 9pm, which is when the after-party begins. The August after-party will be at our Finale Exhibition, with a top-notch location and plenty of wonderful participating artists.

http://www.artspin.ca/#!Upcoming%20Events/cihc

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Remembering Darcy Allen Sheppard
- 3rd year ann. of his tragic passing at the wheel of Michael Bryant

Fri. Aug. 31
5 p.m. corner of Bloor and Avenue Road
6:30 p.m. Critical Mass Ride leaves from Bloor and Spadina

Boycott Michael Bryant's book: https://www.facebook.com/groups/188515707947914/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Japan Dolphins Day

Fri. Aug. 31, noon - 3 p.m.
Consulate-General of Japan, 77 King Street West, TD Centre

On August 31, 2012 rallies and peaceful protests will be held in front of Japanese Embassies & Consulates worldwide. The events are to protest the September 1 start of the annual Taiji dolphin cull as seen in the Academy-award winning documentary The Cove. The message is positive: Japan, let the dolphins live & be free!

https://www.facebook.com/events/383167135080113/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Music from a Persian Garden

Friday, Aug 31 @ 8pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (1 door south of Bloor - at Bathurst subway)

Shiraz Ensemble founded to preserve and extend traditional Persian classical music is joined by the phenomenal, French-based percussionist Pedram Khavarzamini in a performance of instrumental music based on the Radif, the main treasury of Persian classical music. Radif is a collection of old melodic figures from many hundreds of years ago and preserved through oral tradition. The concert includes both composed tunes and improvised music.

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/12-08-31/Music_from_a_Persian_Garden.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Queeriot Toronto

Fri. - Sun. August 31 - September 2
Bahen Centre, 40 St. George Street (near College and Spadina)

Bring your fierce bodies out! We are calling on all anti-authoritarian queer and trans folks to join us for a weekend of fabulous, glittery, accessible, consensual, anti-capitalist fun! Let's converge to talk about how we ‘queer’ organizing spaces! How do we talk about queer & trans struggles as interconnected with anti-racist, disability justice and feminist organizing? How do we bridge the gaps between sexual liberation politics and liberation from the exploitation of the capitalist system? And after all that…don’t forget to de-stress at the queer dance party! Want to host a workshop? Have a skill to share? Interested in tabling? Please get in touch with us!

E-mail queeriotTO at gmail.com for information about the schedule, accessibility concerns and billeting requests.
More details at queeriotto.tumblr.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Laneway Bike Tour

Sun. Sept. 2, 11 am
NW corner Gore Vale and Queen
Free

Bike tour of laneways in Trinity-Bellwoods, Little Italy and Queen West.
For more info: info at graemeparry.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Labour of Love - real hip-hop tour

Sun. Sept. 2, 9 p.m.
The Central, 603 Markham Street (near Bloor and Bathurst)

Mics will be ripped, parties will be rocked, hip-hop's back with a vengeance! Three of Ontario's most well-known rebel hip-hop acts are joining forces to celebrate workers struggles with lyrical class antagonism at it's finest. Featured Artists: Test Their Logik, OB (Kill the Autocrat), Lee Reed and more

https://www.facebook.com/events/369031719836890/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pig Save Veggie Dog Giveaway

Mon. Sept. 3, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Stanley Park, Toronto - Wellington St and Walnut Ave

Please join us for the second annual veggie dog giveaway and celebration at Stanley Park across the street from Quality Meat Packers pig slaughterhouse. There are alternatives to pig slaughter-- and we will be showing the way by giving out free veggie dogs and other vegan food in the local community. It will be a fun-filled day with music, artwork, auctions and vegan outreach. We hope to introduce hundreds of people to vegan food and encourage them to embrace a compassionate and cruelty-free lifestyle.

https://www.facebook.com/events/212888618840978/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Basic Wen-Do Women's Self Defence - 2-day course

Sundays September 9th and 16th, 9 am - 5 pm
St Clair & Dufferin area
Open to Women and girls age 10 and up
Fee:  $150. If cost is a barrier, please speak to Claire.
To register, or for more information:  Call Claire at 416-538-8837.

Women and girls:  this course will be a great opportunity to...
	• learn simple, effective physical and verbal self-defence skills,
	• develop your ability to recognize and deal with potentially dangerous situations,
	• increase your confidence, and
	• have fun!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

PowerShift

Oct. 26-29 - Ottawa

PowerShift 2012 is a youth-led conference seeking to bring 1500 young people together to tackle climate change head on. PowerShift recognizes
that the root causes of the climate crisis are the same causes of social injustices like poverty, racism, and Indigenous land struggles. Through
skills- and issue-based workshops, networking opportunities, and strategy sessions, PowerShift 2012 will unite concerned youth around climate justice
while giving them the skills and connections to make change from the ground up. Register now!

http://www.wearepowershift.ca/about-1
http://www.facebook.com/PowerShiftCanada

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in