T.O. Greenspiration Events: Portraits of Resistance

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 2 23:09:56 EDT 2012

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend. -a

---------------------------------------

Stop Line 9 – The Tar Sands are Coming to Toronto

www.stopline9.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Following an Ancient Route
The latest reports, videos and photos from the KI Nation Paddle Expedition

On August 27, KI Nation paddlers began a journey by canoe to Hudson's Bay, to protect KI water. Along the way, they are documenting and promoting this wild watershed and the deep connection the community has to their life-giving river. You can follow the journey here.

1. Read and share the blog posts written by the paddlers.
-   Clean water and lake trout forever; a post from the paddlers. August 23, 2012- http://kilands.org/?p=1203
-  Following an ancient route: an update from the paddlers. August 24 – 25, 2012- http://kilands.org/?p=1215

2. Tell the Ontario government to respect KI’s demands to govern their territory and protect their land and water from unwanted mining. http://kilands.org/tell-mcguinty-to-respect-ki-sacred-landscape/

http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/jessicabell/2012/08/following-ancient-route-ki-nation-paddlers-share-their-story-th-2

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Celebrate organized labour at the Labour Day Parade

Mon. Sept. 3
Parade leaving University Ave. & Dundas at 9:30 am, along Queen and west to Exhibition Place

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2nd Annual Toronto Pig Save Veggie Dog Giveaway

Mon. Sept. 3, 11 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Stanley Park - Wellington St and Walnut Ave (across the street from Quality Meat Packers pig slaughterhouse)

There are alternatives to pig slaughter -- and we will be showing the way by giving out free veggie dogs and other vegan food in the local community. It will be a fun-filled day with music, artwork, auctions and vegan outreach. We hope to introduce hundreds of people to vegan food and encourage them to embrace a compassionate and cruelty-free lifestyle.

https://www.facebook.com/events/212888618840978/permalink/216885791774594/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Action Against Recent Sexual Assaults

Mon. Apr. 3, 7 -9 p.m.
Meet in Christie Pits park (Bloor and Christie) and march

In recent weeks there have been numerous reports of sexual assaults in the Christie/Bloor Neighborhood. It is an important time to take action, build resistance and take up space.

https://www.facebook.com/events/102950703190983/permalink/103371616482225/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Market Monday! Sorauren Farmers' Market Community Harvest Party

Mon. Sept 3, 3-7pm
Sorauren Farmers' Market, in the park on Sorauren near Dundas

Join us in celebrating our amazing local food community!  The Sorauren Farmers' Market will be hosting a Community Harvest Party during the market, and all are welcome to attend.  Live performances include Michael Louis Johnson and the Red Rhythm Swing Quartent, and Richard Underhill.  Come on by for kids' activities, live entertainment, puppet show, tomato tasting, delicious local food, and more!

http://westendfood.coop/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=181

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Portraits of Resistance: The Art and Activism of Carol Conde and Karl Beveridge

Tues. Sept. 4, 6:45 p.m.
Bloor Cinema (Bloor and Bathurst)

PORTRAIT OF RESISTANCE is an intimate documentary about Condé & Beveridge’s pioneering creative collaboration. It began in New York’s competitive art scene in the 1970’s. Finding themselves in competition with each other, the young married artists abandoned their rising individual careers to save their marriage. Returning to Canada they began working with each other, and with a range of community activists.  Inspired by their wit and visual innovations, PORTRAIT OF RESISTANCE captures the artists as they create provocative staged photographs about the environment, the rights of workers and the current global financial crisis.

cinemapolitica.org/bloor
https://www.facebook.com/events/345112085573875/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Boycott Michael Bryant's book launch

Wed. Sept. 5, 6 p.m.
T.O. Reference Library, 789 Yonge (one block North of Bloor)

A half an hour before Michael Bryant's interview with the Globe and Mail's Gabe Gonda about his new book "28 Seconds" is to start at the Toronto Reference Library, we will be gathering to transform area around the main entrance to that building into a graveyard. We will bring tombstones for Al Sheppard to remind those attending the event that Bryant was not a victim on the night he killed Al.

http://bemuhe.com/september-5-protest-michael-bryants-book-launch/
http://www.facebook.com/events/458650107508629/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stand with the Riveras: Emergency Community Meeting

Wednesday, September 5, 7 p.m.
Parkdale United Church , 171 Dunn Avenue (@King Street West)
(Wheelchair accessible)

Kimberly Rivera is a former US soldier who sought asylum in Canada after refusing to re-deploy to Iraq in 2007. Kim, her husband and four children including a Canadian-born daughter and son face deportation from Canada.  This is happening despite Parliament voting twice to stop the deportations. Prime Minister Harper has acknowledged that the Iraq War was "absolutely an error". Yet he and his government are sending soldiers back to face punishment for having refused to participate in the Iraq War.  Please join us for this community meeting to discuss what can be done to ensure that Canada does not deport US Iraq War Resisters.

Organized by the War Resisters Support Campaign - Toronto
www.resisters.ca | 416-598-1222 | resisters at sympatico.ca  https://www.facebook.com/events/444463272273231/

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Crackdown! A Fundraiser

Wed. Sept. 5, 7 p.m.
The Depanneur, 1033a College St. (near Dufferin)

They're fugitives, they're running from the law, they're ... Chicken Keepers!?! Crackdown! is a short, creative video that takes a satirical look at what it means to raise chickens in your backyard – and become a criminal for doing so. Come out for the last night of the Crackdown Fundraising Campaign and join other "local food criminals" for appetizers, drinks and a raffle to win great prizes and raise the funds to complete the film. We will also screen a very exclusive, nowhere else to be seen, preview clip of the film and release the BREAKING NEWS of Paul Hughes' "Canadian Right to Food" court case verdict, so come early!

IndieGoGo fundraising campaign and trailer: http://www.indiegogo.com/crackdowndoc
https://www.facebook.com/events/172055182918983/

--------------------------------------
--------------------------------------

Warrior Nation: Rebranding Canada in an Age of Anxiety
Toronto Book Launch

Thur. Sept. 6, 7 p.m.
Edward Day Gallery, 952 Queen West, #200

Adding a bold voice to recent debate over the role, cost, and reach of Canada’s military, Warrior Nation: Rebranding Canada in an Age of Anxiety, a new book by award-winning historian Ian McKay and acclaimed journalist Jamie Swift, provides a critical perspective on both Canada’s growing effort to portray itself as a militaristic “warrior nation” and its exploitation of history in achieving this end. Once known for peacekeeping, Canada is becoming a militarized nation whose right-wing apostles—the New Warriors—are fighting to shift public opinion to that of a warrior nation, with authoritarian leadership and permanent political polarization.

https://www.facebook.com/events/153224618134867/permalink/153225508134778/
Sponsored by Canadian Voice of Women for Peace

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

See Stockwell (Day) Squirm! + Noon Teach-In & Performances
at Mohammad Mahjoub's "reasonability" hearings

Thur. September 6
Court: 9:30 am - 4:30 pm
Potluck Teach-In & Performances: 12 noon
180 Queen Street West

Former Cabinet Minister, current corporate lobbyist and all-in-all right-wing, racist, homophobic, war-mongerer, Stockwell Day has been forced by Mohammad Mahjoub's lawyers to testify in  Mr. Mahjoub's case and will finally appear on September 6th. Join us in court to see Stockwell Day try to squirm his way out of taking responsibility for targetting Muslim men to create Islamophobic and xenophobic fear.

Bring lunch for a noon hour potluck teach-in + performances where we'll discuss the links between security certificates, racism, immigration and the prison industrial complex.

Stockwell was responsible for bringing in new security certificate legislation in 2007 over broad public protest. He personally signed new "security certificates" against Mohammad Mahjoub, Mahmoud Jaballah, Mohamed Harkat, Adil Charkaoui and Hassan Almrei in 2008, condemning them to further years of humiliation and arbitrary detention. It’s rare to see Tory elites being held to account in court so this a not-to-be missed event.

https://www.facebook.com/events/357657004312960/
More information:  Justice for Mahjoub Network
www.supportmahjoub.org    justiceformahjoub at gmail.com   www.facebook.com/SupportMahjoub

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cuba's Internationalist Health Brigades

Thursday, Sep 6 @ 7pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (1 door south of Bloor - at Bathurst subway)

A first-hand account of Cuba's approach to medical training and recent work in cholera-stricken Haiti.  US-born Dr. Gregory J. Wilkinson was trained at Cuba's Latin American School of Medicine (LASM) and stationed in Haiti with the Henry Reeves contingent of the Cuban Medical Brigade at L'estere Artibonite in 2010, one of the areas hardest hit by the cholera epidemic.  Guest Speaker, Dr. Gregory J. Wilkinson with Raúl Delgado Concepción - Cuban Consul in Toronto and Keith Ellis - Coordinator, CNC Cuba for Haiti Campaign.

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/12-09-06/Cuba_s_Internationalist_Health_Brigades.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Age of Stupid

Friday, September 7, 7:30 – 10 p.m.
The Centre of Gravity, 1300 Gerrard St. East (just east of Greenwood)

The “Age of Stupid” is a 90-minute film about climate change, set in the future. Oscar-nominated Pete Postlethwaite (In The Name of the Father, Brassed Off) stars as a man living alone in the devasted world of 2055, looking back at footage from 2007 and asking: why didn't we stop climate change when we had the chance?

Discussants: Peter Tabuns, MPP for Toronto Danforth and NDP critic for Energy and Education and Bryan Dale, President of Toronto-Danforth NDP Riding Association, and delegate to the People's Summit for Rio+20

Presented by Cinema Politica Danforth - a project of the Toronto Danforth NDP
https://www.facebook.com/events/438088136243693/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Backyard Party at Mayor Rob Ford's

Fri. Sept. 7, 7 p.m.
15 Weston Wood Road, Etobicoke

Rob Ford is having a party and everyone is invited. Honestly! Apparently it's a yearly tradition going back 12 years for the Ford family where they invite Toronto residents to a back yard BBQ at their Etobicoke home.

Well, since Robby was too busy to come to any Pride events this year we are going to bring the Pride Parade to his backyard. Afterall, EVERYONE IS INVITED! Bring your Pride in whatever form you like and let's show Rob what our community is all about! Above all, let's keep this peaceful, fun, and political.

https://www.facebook.com/events/279031682209864/
Toronto Sun article about the party, dubbed, "Ford Fest":http://www.torontosun.com/2012/08/30/rob-fords-having-a-party-and-everyones-invited

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vegetarian Food Festival

September 7-9
Harbourfront

Free talks, cooking demos, and food! Regarded as the largest event of its kind in North America, the annual Vegetarian Food Festival gives you an unparalleled opportunity to enjoy a diverse cross-section of vegetarian cuisine.

http://festival.veg.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Clean Train Party

Saturday September 8, 2 pm – 4 pm
Lula Lounge, 1585 Dundas St. West

Join Andrew Cash and Jonah Shein for a Clean Train Party!  We’re throwing a family friendly neighbourhood party, with live music and food to show our support for clean transit.  Join us 12 days before the vote on Jonah's Private Member's Bill to find out what you can do to stop the dirty diesel trains and win clean, electric transit for our neighbourhoods! We'll have music, free food and kids' activities - bring your family!

Clean Train Myths and Facts: http://andrewcash.ca/update-new-clean-trains-myths-and-facts
Event page: https://www.facebook.com/events/268599476586943/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Play: Masada by Arthur Milner

Saturday, Sep 8 @ 7pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (1 door south of Bloor - at Bathurst subway)

As fresh and relevant today as in 1990, Masada is as witty and insightful as it is daring and courageous. Canadian playwright Arthur Milner uses Masada to walk the audience through the tortured history of modern Zionism from biblical days to Roman times to the present and to the logical future we see today with each passing day. Masada is a masterful inquiry into Zionism and political life in Israel.  It is written as a "lecture" delivered by a visiting Israeli historian to an audience at a Jewish community centre in Canada, Masada treats the audience to a roller coaster of facts and myths and disquieting possibilities.  The staged reading features Richard Greenblatt and is directed by its playwright, Arthur Milner.

For advance ticket purchase and to learn more. http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/12-09-08/Play_Masada.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Introduction to Fruit Trees
with Norm Herbert

Sun. September 9 - 10 a.m. to 1 p.m.
Ben Nobleman Park, across from Eglinton West subway station

Join Norm Herbert, former orchard manager at E.D. Smith Farms, to learn how to choose appropriate fruit trees for your yard or community orchard. Workshop participants will enjoy fruit tasting with samples of fruit from disease-resistant trees.

$45 regular $35 early bird (you must register two weeks prior to event) $25 students/seniors (ID required)
To register visit www.communityorchard.ca or email growingforgreen at gmail.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Support for Fukushima Nuclear Crisis

Sun. Sept. 9, 11 a.m. - 3 p.m.
6 Garamond Court Don Mills (Don Mills and Eglinton)

Photo exhibit, info booths, flea market and more. Calling all animal lovers for support and cooperation to help abandoned animals in the Fukushima area due to the mass evacuation.

https://www.facebook.com/events/452482944773255/permalink/456133951074821/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Basic Wen-Do Women's Self Defence - 2-day course

Sundays September 9th and 16th, 9 am - 5 pm
St Clair & Dufferin area
Open to Women and girls age 10 and up
Fee:  $150. If cost is a barrier, please speak to Claire.

To register, or for more information:  Call Claire at 416-538-8837.

Women and girls:  this course will be a great opportunity to...
	• learn simple, effective physical and verbal self-defence skills,
	• develop your ability to recognize and deal with potentially dangerous situations,
	• increase your confidence, and
	• have fun!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Introduction to Permaculture Workshop

Sat Sept 22 and Sun Sept 23
$200-$250 (sliding scale) includes resources. Pre-registration required. High Park Childrens Garden.

Permaculture is the conscious design of ecosystems that mimic the diversity, stability and resilience of natural ecosystems. We ask and observe, what would nature do? This hands-on workshop introduces permaculture design theory and ways to apply it in your home or community garden. Topics: organic gardening basics; permaculture design and practices; working with water; plant guilds (plants that grow well together, help soil tilth and support the larger ecosystem); dynamic accumulators (plants that accumulate nutrients & feed the soil); plants and plant selection; starting new gardens and soil building; putting garden to bed; cover crops & mulches; composting; humans and other animals; working less for more; diversity gardening.

http://www.gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents.html

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in