T.O. Greenspiration Events: From Silence to Attention

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 16 20:19:04 EDT 2012

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend. - a

---------------------------------------

Powershift

On the weekend of October 26-29th over 1500 youth from all walks of life, coming from all across the country will join together in Ottawa and Gatineau for a historic gathering to build the movement for a just and sustainable future. Register now!

https://www.facebook.com/events/414697141924850/
http://www.wearepowershift.ca/about-1

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Creative Private Chef Services available

I can assist you with managing your food needs on a weekly basis. Will organize menus, shopping list (available to help with shopping) prepare & prep meals one day a week in you kitchen. Gluten-free or other food allergies, detox friendly, vegetarian, paleo, organic, etc. My specialty is combining local, organic farm/garden fresh ingredients into delicious nutritiously well balance dishes that are delicious and feed the body, mind, soul and spirit. Fully customized to your schedule, dietary requirements, prioritized needs & budget. Please call Petra  416.732.8965

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Disorientation Week 2012 Presents: The City is a Battleground

September 17-September 21
University of Toronto

Austerity. What is it? What does it mean for our communities? How can we resist it?  Join OPIRG-Toronto and the University of Toronto Student’s Union for a week of discussion, debate and direct action!

- Monday September 17 - 12 - 2 p.m.: Fighting Ford and City Cuts; 4 - 6 p.m.: Demystifying the University: Corporatization, Access and Campus Organizing; 6 - 8 p.m: Get in Gear: Bike Repair 101
- Tuesday September 18  - 12 - 2 p.m.: Resisting Mentalism: Becoming an Ally to Mad People; 3 - 5 p.m.: Neighbourhood Watch Toronto: Confronting Police Brutality and the Prison system; 6 – 8 p.m.: Who’s afraid of an anti- capitalist student movement?; 6 - 10 p.m.: Organizing Marches and Rallies
- Wednesday September 19 - 12 - 3 p.m.: Art Attack: Bloc Party, Mural Painting and Social Justice Fair; 4 - 6 p.m.: Trans People Drop-in and Social; 6 – 8 p.m.: Environmental Justice and Tar Sands: Where we are and what we can do
- Thursday September 20 - 11 a.m. - 1 p.m.: Our Home on Native Land: Building Indigenous Solidarity; Let's talk about Revolutionary Love: Workshop and Keynote by D'bi Young; 2 - 4 p.m.: Is a love ting: Reclaiming our Integrity as People; 7 p.m.: We the People, We the Planet
- Friday September 21 - 2 - 4 p.m.: Queer Resistance and Pinkwashing

Deets here: http://www.opirgtoronto.org/content/disorientation-week-2012-presents-city-battleground

York U Disorientation events here: https://www.facebook.com/events/112853958862501/permalink/118418981639332/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fukushima and possible human extinction
according to Drs. Bertelle and Caldicott: HAARP and Stuxnet involved? or just greed and stupidity?
with Sydney White, Investigative Journalist, Studies in Propaganda

Monday, Sept.17, 6 - 8 pm
569 Spadina Avenue, Room 108
Free. For more info, call 416-787-0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Fighting Ford and City Cuts

Mon. Sept. 17, noon - 2 p.m.
OISE, room 4420, 252 Bloor Street West
Facilitated by Liisa Scholfield from the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty

Since Toronto Mayor Rob Ford took office, communities have organized to resist his agenda of deep cuts to social services, layoffs of public sector workers and attacks on the poorest people and communities in this city. While many of the proposed cuts were averted at the budget vote in January, the battle with city hall is not over. This workshop will explore how people organized to stop the cuts, what services are still on the chopping block, and how we can continue to fight back. This workshop will also discuss current campaigns within the Ontario Coalition Against Poverty and the Downtown East Stop the Cuts Committee, including the Save the Schoolhouse shelter campaign.

Part of the disorientation2012.org | https://www.facebook.com/events/278295422274492/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mamalicious! Fun to Make, Safe Recipes for Mother and Baby Workshop
with Tracey TieF

Monday, September 17, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Anarres 792-A Dovercourt Road (North of Bloor)

Want to care for your baby, partner or children in a healthful, non toxic way, but don't know where to begin? Learn how aromatherapy and massage can help, and all the no-nos for a healthful, non-toxic life. Learn to be Mamalicious!

Register here: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1244

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take Canada Back - Stop Harper - Holding Hands Across the Land

Mon. Sept. 17
Old City Hall, Queen and Bay

Parliament reopens in the East, Enbridge pipeline protests in the West. Let us unite across the land for Canadian Justice!  Let us all join hands across the land in support of a better Canada. A Canada based on democracy and the people, not multinationals and corporate profits. Lets stand together for change.  This event is in-conjunction with the event in Ottawa and BC... which will be held here in Toronto for those that may not be able to make the trek with us to Ottawa. On this day Parliament is back in session after the summer break and we plan to welcome them back... so whether it be on parliament hill or in your own home town let our voices be heard...

https://www.facebook.com/events/413249482043587
https://www.facebook.com/events/351278528284242/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green Jobs Forum

Monday September 17
Metro Toronto Convention Centre, North Building, Toronto, Ontario
Free

The inaugural Green Jobs Forum offers new graduates, students, and the general public an in-depth exploration of careers in the ever-expanding Green Economy.
http://greenjobsforum.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Charter Rights – Are they Worth the Risk?

Monday, Sept. 17, 7:30 p.m. (doors open 7 p.m.)
Duke of York, 39 Prince Arthur Ave.
RSVP requested
Free!

Many Canadians consider Omar Khadr’s treatment by American and Canadian authorities to be immoral, and even illegal. But few understand the legal precedent set by his plight. Canadian officials not only helped violate Khadr’s Charter rights; they made it possible for those violations to be made against any of us. Canadian law has changed significantly since 9/11, making the average citizen far more vulnerable to abuses of power than before. Why Should I Care welcomes guest speaker, Dr. Barbara J. Falk, to discuss this important issue. Falk, an instructor at the Canadian Forces College, has not only written on the Khadr case—she’s also taught some of the most powerful figures in the Canadian military, too. Following her prepared remarks, Dr. Falk will take questions from the audience. You can participate if you wish, or just listen and share a pint with good company.

More info at Why Should I Care? http://www.whyshouldicare.ca/2012/08/charter-rights-are-they-worth-the-risk/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cross Canada Speaking Tour on the Quebec Student Movement

Tues. Sept. 18, 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St w, Room 4414

An in-depth look at why radical politics in Quebec have taken the shape of a rank and file, direct action based movement capable of posing a very real threat to the state and its capitalist proponents. This event will look at “combative unionism” and the strategies it uses to fight legislation, repression and general anti-union approaches put forward against the struggle. Also, the tour will discuss an anarchist analysis of the struggle and why anarchists are involved as a whole. This speaking tour will also serve the purpose of demystifying fetishisms of Quebec political culture as inherently combative by showing that the roots of successful struggle lies in organizing along directly democratic lines, and building combativeness, and solidarity.

https://www.facebook.com/events/263628047090366/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Organizing Rallies and Marches

Tuesday, September 18, 6 p.mm. to 10 p.m.
At U of T

This workshop will cover the basic steps to organizing a rally or march, show examples of creative innovation in rally design. The workshop will also offer tips on planning routes, roles, marshalling, escalation and de-escalation, promotion, and visuals.

http://www.toolsforchange.net/2012/08/13/organizing-rallies-and-marches-workshop/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Herstories Café presents: Women and Urban Food
Food Production in Toronto: A Perspective from the City's Historic Sites
with Amy Scott

Tues. September 18, 6 pm
Parkdale Public Library, 1303 Queen St W.
Free – with lots of food to share! Please register: http://www.zoomerang.com/

Amy Scott from City of Toronto Museums will look at food production in the various historic periods of the city's museums, as well as their current historic vegetable gardens and other food production. We will also hear from various Toronto food activists. And tour the HOPE Garden on Cowan Ave.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

End of the World - Dirty Grace Plays Toronto

Tues. Sept. 18, 7:30 p.m.
Tranzac Club, 292 Brunswick Ave (at Bloor)

Original songs by Dirty Grace feature a strong environmental and social conscience cast in memorable melodies and sweet harmonies. The audience was transfixed by their note-perfect harmonies.

https://www.facebook.com/events/265938646857081/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Passive Houses in Canada and Around the World - Webinar
with Guido Wimmers of the Canadian Passive House Institute

Tues. Sept. 18, noon PDT (3 p.m. Toronto time)

Guido will discuss the experience of Passive House in Canada and show the fundamental components of Passive House design, with examples and potential contradictions in the current building industry and policy.

https://www2.gotomeeting.com/register/945609826

MOVE: Land Use

Tues. Sept. 18, 7 – 9 pm
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue, Toronto