T.O. Greenspiration Events: Spirit of Justice

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Feb 3 21:08:09 EST 2013

Toronto Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend... -a

---------------------------------------

Shut down GE's uranium processing plant in Toronto!

Congrats to all the anti-nuclear and Idle No More activists that took to the streets today - and to the train tracks! - to protest GE-Hitachi's ongoing release of radioactive uranium going up the stack and into the sewers at their uranium processing plant at Lansdowne and Dupont. The protesters stopped a CP freight train for a few hours. There were no arrests.

Toronto Star http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/02/03/protestors_block_cp_rail_tracks_over_lansdowne_ave_uranium_plant.html
Shut it down! https://www.facebook.com/groups/370015163080483/?fref=ts

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free s'cool Winter Season has begun! Join us...

At free’Scool, everyone has something to teach, and something to learn. The facilitators and organizers with aim to create free, democratic education spaces that are geared towards self-directed, self-critical participatory learning.  Our concept is simple: education should be a community building process that develops the individual personality, and everyone has a right to participate in
that!

Classes that are now beginning (or have just begun) include:
- Art’scool: Drop-in Art Program
- Community Resilience Thur Human Rights
- Creative Cooking Healing the Mind: Self Esteem and Empowerment
- Libertango
- The Practice of Democracy: The Language of Storytelling
- Writing Together

Contact us if you have space to share for classes want to become a member and help us grow, want to teach or facilitate a course or wksp and of course register for some classes!
http://www.freescool.com/home/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

T.O.'s transportation future?

The City is seeking public input on Toronto's transportation future - including transit, roads, cycling and walking. The consultation will inform the City's long term transportation plan, including a transit plan and funding strategy. Attend a public meeting: http://www.feelingcongested.ca/#have-your-say/public-meetings

Mon Feb 4, 4-6:30pm and 6:30-9pm
York Civic Centre, Council Chamber / Foyer, 2700 Eglinton Ave West

Wed Feb 6, 4-6:30pm and 6:30-9pm
Scarborough Civic Centre, Council Chamber / Foyer, 150 Borough Drive

Mon Feb 11, 4-6:30pm and 6:30-9pm
North York Civic Centre,  Members Lounge / Foyer
5100 Yonge Street

Wed Feb 13, 4-6:30pm and 6:30-9pm
City Hall, Main Floor Foyer, 100 Queen Street West

And/or Share your thoughts online at www.feelingcongested.ca

A healthy, green city needs a mix of transportation options that reach all parts of the city and serve all Torontonians, no matter where they live.
Metrolinx, the Provincial agency developing a transit plan for the GTHA is also seeking public input on transit funding - read more on the TTCriders website.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Pig Save Weekly Vigils to bear witness

• Monday, February 4, it's the Toronto Cow Save vigil, 7-9 am at the nightmarish so-called "St. Helen's" and "Ryding Regency" cow slaughterhouses.
• Tuesday, February 5, 7:30-9:30, vigil on Pig Island at Lake Shore and Strachan (low of -9ºC)
• Next Sunday (Feb. 10) TPS has been invited to to a solidarity event with striking Porter airport workers. We'll be making 300 vegan BLT sandwiches for workers and community from 3-6 pm at Little Norway Park (south of Lakeshore at Bathurst and Queen's Quay)... Please let us know if you can come early and help prepare vegan food or can bring vegan cookies or other deserts. Thanks a bunch.

Bearing witness at regular weekly vigils is the main activity of Toronto Pig Save, Toronto Cow Save and sister organizations and we believe in the power of this approach because of the empathy it creates and the way it increases the level of commitment to the suffering animals. Three vigils a week is a promise we made to the pigs, so we've been holding a minimum of 3 vigils and other events each week since July of 2011.

https://www.facebook.com/events/108808385964364/permalink/119091574936045/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Innovations in Institutional Local Food Procurement Strategies Right Here in Our Backyard

Monday Feb. 4, 6 - 8 p.m.
Wilson Hall, New College, UofT - 40 Willcocks St., U of T
Refreshments will be served!

Support for local food production and creating relationships between farmers and urban institutions is a topic that is gaining more and more recognition across Toronto and Ontario. Restaurants have sprung up across the city that advertise local fare and grocery stores are being stocked with more local produce with every new growing season. What kinds of connections can be made between locally produced fresh foods and patient health in our healthcare institutions? How does access to healthy and fresh food in schools change how students learn and interact? How can we foster this trend and this move towards a localized food supply chain for our public institutions and what is already being done in this area? What can we do to support this movement?

Panel includes:
Ravenna Nuaimy-Barker (Director, Sustain Ontario)
Don Mills (President, Local Food Plus)
Joshna Maharaj (Chef and food activist)
Jaco Lokker (Director of Food Services, UofT)
To be moderated by Lori Stahlbrand (Founder of Local Food Plus)

http://www.facebook.com/events/318212561616927/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Keep on Rolling: The Dream of the Automobile

Tuesday, February 5, 7 p.m.
Creatures Collective, 822 Dundas St W. PWYC (sugg. $5)

We allocate as much as 62 per cent of urban space to cars, roads, parking and garages, leaving less space for human activity. Keep on Rolling details how our entire way of life is now dictated by our dependence on the automobile.  http://vimeo.com/53438639.

Hosted by Our Horizon, a bold national climate change organization that just launched its globally-unprecedented #16yearsleft campaign: warning labels on gas pump nozzles similar to those found on tobacco packages.

The Climate Change Film Festival
http://ourhorizon.org/   http://facebook.com/OurHorizonOrg
@OurHorizonOrg    #16yearsleft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Warning labels on gas pump nozzles - a globally unprecedented climate change campaign launches in Toronto

Tuesday Feb. 5 - Saturday Feb. 9, 11 a.m. - 7 p.m.
Sunday: noon to 6 p.m.
Creatures Collective Art Gallery: 822 Dundas St West.

Our Horizon is a federally-incorporated not-for-profit organization that empowers people and communities across Canada to change the world. Our first campaign#16yearsleft tackles climate change in a globally-unprecedented way: we want to put warning labels on gas pump nozzles similar to those found on tobacco packing. Municipalities can use their licensing powers to require gasoline retailers in their jurisdiction to place these warning labels on their gas nozzles. If gas stations do not comply, they risk having their business licence revoked and can be shut down.

Our Horizon has a database with every single mayor, reeve, councillor, and alderman’s contact information in the country. Our website allows citizens to email their councillors to advocate for our idea. Instead of lobbying an unresponsive federal government, we’re going to empower independent representatives in over 4,000 municipalities across Canada to stand on guard for our earth. Passing this by-law would be globally-unprecedent. When it happens, it will make international headlines and the concept will quickly spread and historians may one day point to a handful of brave Canadian representatives that forever changed the course of human history.

For more information, please see our panels and mock-ups that explain our concept at 822 Dundas Street West until February 13, 2013 or visit ourhorizon.org to find out how you can help.
www.ourhorizon.org
www.facebook.com/OurHorizonOrg

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Inspiration Behind Biodyanamic Agriculture

Tuesday, Feb 5 @ 7:30 pm
Beit Zatoun 612 Markham Street (just south of Bloor, near Bathurst subway station)

Many farms and wineries worldwide are enthusiastically embracing biodynamic methods of cultivation with great success. Where does the impulse for this revolutionary system come from? Why is it being popularly adopted now, 100 years after it was first formulated? Rudolf Steiner is the founder of Biodynamic Agriculture as well as the impulse behind startlingly fresh approaches to education, medicine, painting and sculpture, movement, history and human evolution. Through his life story, we see Steiner responding to the needs of his day, which are becoming more urgent than ever in our time.

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-02-05/The_Inspiration_behind_Biodynamic_Agriculture.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spirituality and Ecology: Natural Partners

Tuesday, February 5, 6 – 9:30 p.m.
Upper Club Room, Bloor Street United Church, 300 Bloor St. West (Spadina Subway)
A suggested donation of $15 per workshop will cover the program and dinner.

During this workshop, Dr. O'Hara will discuss how our new understanding of the epic of evolution can inform and enrich our understanding of spirituality.  He will work with an understanding of the Christian tradition, as well as considering the insights of Daoism and Neo-Confucianism.

http://oasis2.eventbrite.com/#

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Nuclear Waste: Top Ten Things to Know - Webinar

Tuesday, Feb. 5  @ 12 noon and  Friday, February 8 @ 2 pm

An introduction and overview of nuclear waste issues in Canada: where the waste comes from, why it is a problem, what the nuclear industry is proposing, and key issues related to the transport and burial of highly radioactive nuclear waste. This workshop provides basic information, as an introduction to the topic of nuclear waste in Canada and as background for other workshops in the series.
Presenter: Brennain Lloyd, Northwatch

http://www.knownuclearwaste.ca/Reports_and_Studies.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Status Quo? The Unfinished Business of Feminism in Canada
A sweeping, invigorating and disconcerting documentary film on the state of feminism, the history of the women's movement, & the status of women in Canada.

Tuesday, February 5, 6:45 PM
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor Street West
Suggested donation $2-10
Karen Cho / Canada / 2012 / 87 ' / English.

This special screening is co-presented by the National Film Board of Canada and will feature special guest speakers including the director and main subjects from the film. Feminism has shaped the society we live in. But just how far has it brought us, and how relevant is it today? Status Quo? asks these questions and uncovers provocative - at times shocking - answers about the evolution of women's equality in Canada. Interweaving a wealth of dynamic archival material with startling contemporary stories, the film situates the vibrant Canadian women's movement in its history-making context. In 1967 the landmark Toyal Commission on the Status of Women made recommendations to address the inequalities faced by women. Now, Status Quo? zeroes in on key concerns such as violence against women, access to abortion, and universal childcare, asking how much progress we have truly made on these issues. Status Quo? is crucial viewing for every Canadian, especially those unfamiliar with the vital achievements of the feminist movement.

https://www.facebook.com/events/235421843259504/
INFO: cinemapolitica.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Understanding Your Electricity Bill: An Archaeology of Policy Failure
with Russ Houldin, School of the Environment, University of Toronto

Wed. Feb. 6, 4:10 p.m.
Room BA 1190, Bahen Centre, 40 St. George Street (N. of College)

All welcome, free.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Webinar: Who's taking care of Mum and Dad?
A look at the aging population of women who provide Canada's long term residential care

Wednesday February 6, noon – 1 p.m. EST

Free. Presented by the Canadian Women's Health Network.
Click here to register! https://events.r20.constantcontact.com/register/eventReg?llr=mqj54lcab&oeidk=a07e6x0iftxc0358f88

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sabotaging Democracy: 'Robocall' Vote Suppression in the 2011 Election

Wednesday, February 6, 7 – 9  p.m.
Toronto City Hall, 100 Queen Street West, room 3 (on the 2nd floor)

Join us for our February chapter meeting - Toronto Council of Canadians. All welcome!

Revelations of widespread fraud and voter suppression around the 2011 federal election are a harsh reminder that as Canadians we cannot take our democracy for granted. Professor Michael Keefer, School of English and Theatre Studies at the University of Guelph discusses the May 2011 federal electoral fraud and the robocall issue. Currently eight Canadians are awaiting decision on their legal cases under the provisions of the Canada Elections act at the Supreme Court of Canada. The Council of Canadians has set up the Democracy 24-7 Legal Fund to pay the legal fees and associated costs of the applicants.  The documentary “Hacking Democracy” will be screened.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stolen Seas

Wednesday, February 6 @ 6:30 & 9:15 pm
Thursday, February 7 @ 6:45 pm
Bloor Hot Docs Cinema, 506 Bloor Street West

A chilling exploration of the Somali pirate phenomenon, STOLEN SEAS is the story of a Danish shipping vessel’s 13-man crew held at the mercy of pirates, a country responding to global capitalism in overdrive, young boys with nothing to lose and a translator who gets in over his head. With exclusive interviews and unparalleled access to real pirates, hostages, hostages’ relatives, ship-owners, pirate negotiators and experts on piracy and international policy, STOLEN SEAS is an eye-opening refutation of preconceived ideas on how and why piracy has become the world’s most frightening multi-million dollar growth industry.

http://www.hotdocs.ca/docsoup/doc_soup_toronto/#screening

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spoke and Solar Taxi

Wednesday, Feb. 6, 7 p.m.
Creatures Collective, 822 Dundas St W. PWYC (sugg. $5)

Spoke examines cycling as a viable form of transportation while addressing the infastructure enhancements needed to improve Toronto's quality of life. http://vimeo.com/43999293.
Followed by "Solar Taxi" - Solar energy is functional, efficient and, most importantly, reliable. A car with zero emissions is not a dream. This film is proof. http://www.solartaxi-themovie.com/

Hosted by Our Horizon, a bold national climate change organization that just launched its globally-unprecedented #16yearsleft campaign: warning labels on gas pump nozzles similar to those found on tobacco packages.

http://ourhorizon.org/   http://facebook.com/OurHorizonOrg
@OurHorizonOrg   #16yearsleft
The Climate Change Film Festival

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Sexual Slave Trade in Kosovo
With Valerie Zawilski, Associate Prof. of Sociology, Western University.

Thur. Feb. 7, 7 – 9 p.m.
University College, 15 Kings College Circle, U of Toronto, Rm. 144
All welcome. No charge.

Co-Sponsored by University College Health Studies Programme, Canadian Pugwash Group, Science for Peace, and Voice of Women for Peace.
http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/the-sexual-slave-trade-in-kosovo

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A Workers' History of the 1970s - a film series

6 weeks starting Thur. February 7, 7 pm - midnight
Double Double Land, 209 Augusta Ave.

Although the sixties are looked at as the high watermark of radicalism and rebellion in North America, it is actually the decade that followed that saw the highest frequency of labour unrest and worker militancy since the era of the depression. It was during these years that the power of organized labour was at its height, and the intraunion struggle of rank-and-file workers came the closest to realizing a true integration of the race- and gender-based social movements born of the 60s with the traditional American labour movement. Arguably, it was the failure to do so that made the crushing of labour's power in the latter half of the decade possible, quickly ushering in the era of neo-liberalism that has prevailed to this day. Will an understanding of the past help put us back in control of our future?

The Greater Toronto Workers’ Assembly in partnership with the Foundation for Social Economics is proud to present a six-week film series spotlighting some of the now nearly forgotten labour-themed cinema of the 1970s. Each film will be preceded by a short talk detailing an episode from that decade's labour history.

Free: donations accepted
Beverages for sale
Social following each film

https://www.facebook.com/events/277098222419355/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Looking For Ways To Work Together

Thur. February 7, 6:30 p.m.
Japanese Canadian Cultural Centre, 6 Garamond Court, North York.

In conjunction with the Toronto Area Interfaith Council, we are presenting an evening with 10 key interfaith leaders. They will speak to the underlying principles of World Interfaith Harmony Week, what kind of interfaith work they do, and what they plan or would like to do to work together with other faiths in 2013. All profits will be used to fund an interfaith work team to help build a Habitat For Humanity home.

For more information email voorpostel at sympatico.ca
visiting http://worldinterfaithharmonyweek.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Carbon Rush

Thursday, Feb. 7, 7 p.m.
Creatures Collective, 822 Dundas St W. PWYC (sugg. $5)

Narrated by Daryl Hannah, this film takes us around the world to meet the men and women on the front lines of carbon trading. Carbon trading projects have a lasting impact on the environment and the communities involved. This documentary reveals the true cost of carbon trading. http://www.thecarbonrush.net/

Hosted by Our Horizon, a bold national climate change organization that just launched its globally-unprecedented #16yearsleft campaign: warning labels on gas pump nozzles similar to those found on tobacco packages.

http://ourhorizon.org/   http://facebook.com/OurHorizonOrg
@OurHorizonOrg   #16yearsleft
The Climate Change Film Festival

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Free University Course - Intro to Animal Rights

Thursdays, 7 - 9:30 p.m.
Lash Miller Chemical Laboratories, 80 St. George, University of Toronto, room 161

This is a weekly two hour lecture and discussion with different guest speakers, covering the work of thinkers who have made a significant contribution to the field of animal rights ethics, philosophy, and discourse. It will run from January to mid May, and possibly beyond, if there is interest. There will be many different lecturers.

https://www.facebook.com/events/409385955794789/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Road to Palestine
with Bob Holmes

Thursday, Feb 7 @ 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (Bloor and Bathurst)

The Road to Palestine is a new series of personal talks. Speakers are Canadians who have taken a public stand on Israel/Palestine. Speakers come from a variety backgrounds and careers. They share a recognition that a resolution to the question of peace and conflict in Israel / Palestine is essential to global justice, international law and to peace in the world.  They trace their journey and relationship to the situation of Israel/Palestine from earliest views and opinions. What are their present views? What is their unique contribution to the question? What are their thoughts on the future and what is needed to resolve the situation?   Bob Holmes is a Peace Activist currently serving with CPT (Christian Peacemaker Team) in Hebron in the Occupied Palestinian Territories. He is a Catholic priest, a member of the Basilian Fathers. He has served with CPT in Iraq, Colombia, Mexico, Congo, Arizona/Mexico border and in Canada with First Nations.

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-02-07/The_Road_to_Palestine_-_A_Personal_Journey.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Citizens' Hearing on ET Disclosure: Canadian Perspective and Support
With Hon. Paul Hellyer, Stephen Bassett, Grant Cameron, Victor Viggiani

Thur. Feb. 7, 7 - 9 p.m.
Conspiracy Culture - 1696 Queen Street West
Tickets are $20. You can purchase them over the phone with a Visa / MC or you can come into the shop to purchase your spot(s). 416.916.1696 - Proceeds go toward supporting the PRG Citizen Hearings.

In preparation for the Citizens’ Hearing on Disclosure in Washington DC this April, a Canadian group in support of ET Disclosure will host an international preview event for the press and the general public in Toronto. This event will provide an in-depth preview of the Citizens’ Hearing on Disclosure to be held at the Washington DC National Press Club from April 29 to May 3, 2013 under the direction of Stephen G. Bassett – Executive Director of the Paradigm Research Group. Each panelist will contribute comments that reflect the strategic significance of the Hearing process based on their area of expertise on the UFO Disclosure movement. Mr. Bassett (political activist), Mr. Hellyer (former Cabinet Minister/MoD), Mr. Cameron (Canadian UFO Research analyst and author), Mr. Viggiani (Media and Broadcast Journalist) Mr. Bassett expects some 40 witnesses will present over 30 hours of testimony to former members of the House of Representatives regarding events and evidence relevant to extraterrestrial related phenomena. The Citizens’ Hearing setting will match that of a formal Senate hearing to the extent possible. The proceedings will be streamed live over the internet. An international film production company will tape the hearings in preparation for a film documentary.

http://www.conspiracyculture.com/events_ETDisclosure.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Just Seeds: Migration Now! and More Graphics for Social Change

Friday, February 8, 6 - 10 p.m.
Graduate Gallery at OCAD University, 205 Richmond St. W

Migration Now! is a limited-edition portfolio of handmade prints addressing migrant issues from Justseeds & CultureStrike. In addition to the members of Justseeds, participating artists include former Minister of Culture for the Black Panther Party Emory Douglas, and Undocumented DREAM Act agitators, Julio Salgado and Felipe Baeza. The exhibit will also feature a selection of graphics from No One Is Illegal Toronto, Justseeds portfolios on resource extraction and prisons, and the Imaging Apartheid poster project, based in Montreal. Programming will highlight the knowledge and experiences of activists and organizers from Toronto, and how art and social justice can impact one another.

About Justseeds: Justseeds Artists’ Cooperative is a decentralized network of 24 artists committed to making print and design work that reflects a radical social, environmental, and political stance. With members working from the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, Justseeds operates both as a unified collaboration of similarly minded printmakers and as a loose collection of creative individuals with unique viewpoints and working methods. We believe in the transformative power of personal expression in concert with collective action.

www.migrationnow.com www.justseeds.org
https://www.facebook.com/events/146018452222511/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Metrolinx Townhall – The Future of Transit in the GTA

Saturday, February 9, 1pm – 3 pm, Metro Hall

Metrolinx is holding a public meeting to get community feedback on the “next wave” of their Big Move transit plan. The “next wave” of the Metrolinx transit plan includes the electrification of the Union-Pearson Air-Rail link that will run through Davenport.  But this is one of many projects without any financial commitment from the province. Please join us at the meeting and share your thoughts and your transit priorities.  Tell Metrolinx that we need more affordable, accessible public transit in GTA and that we expect Clean Electric Trains on the Union-Pearson Rail Link.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Revolutionize Your Valentine's Day: Radical Love and the Spirit of Social Justice

Sat. Feb. 9, 2 - 5 pm
PSAC Boardroom, 90 Eglinton Ave East
Workshop fee: $30

Mayworks is pleased to invite you to an interactive workshop and fundraiser celebrating radical love and social justice. This workshop is an opportunity for us not only to raise funds for the upcoming
2013 festival, but also to celebrate the spirit of social justice.

The interactive workshop will allow you to:
- Experience the mind/body/emotion/spirit connection.
- Explore the relationship between art, science, activism and spirituality.
- Be inspired by the sharing of knowledge and wisdom across cultures.
- Gain knowledge and practices that promote individual and collective wellbeing.
- Increase your capacity to sustainably contribute to social change movements.

To register and purchase tickets:
- Online: please visit: http://mayworks.ca/support. You will receive an email confirmation of your donation of $30 as well as your registration information.
- Cheque or cash: please email registration at mayworks.ca with the subject line "REVOLUTIONIZE VALENTINE'S DAY". You will receive an email with instructions.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Join the Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly for a 'coffee house' discussion on:

Abortion Rights: Access and Barriers
Introduced by Rachael Johnstone

Saturday, February 9, 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham St. (Bloor and Bathurst)

This is the second of three-part monthly series on anti-capitalism and feminism.  Followed by Q and A and discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/events/336022049845947/
http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-02-09/Anti-capitalism_and_Feminism.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Day of Love and Friendship: A Culinary Event
with Lisa Pitman, Nicole Axworthy and ChocoSol

Sunday, Feb. 10, 2 - 4 p.m.
225 Geary Avenue (one block north of Dupont at Dufferin)

Our wellness depends on good friends and good food! We’ll spend two hours nourishing those special bonds by creating a delicious meal together. Bring a best friend, a parent, a neighbour, and say “I love you” with time, attention and chocolate. Noted raw food chef Lisa Pitman joins forces with her culinary soul mate, Nicole Axworthy, to bring you a menu that will impress both your taste buds and your best buds. Bring your appetite and enthusiasm! There will be salads to massage, socca to top, macaroons to dip, cookies to fill and beverages to blend. This hands-on event will include recipes that are vegan and free of nuts, gluten and dairy.

Tickets:  Pick up a pair of tickets for $30, or a single for $20 (we’re friendly, so come on down and add some new names to your circle).
To reserve your spot and purchase tickets, please contact info at chocosoltraders.com or call 416-923-6675.

Learn more about Lisa Pitman (veganculinarycrusade.com) and Nicole Axworthy (adashofcompassion.com) online.

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in