T.O. Greenspiration Events: Total Health

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Mon Apr 1 16:12:17 EDT 2013

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend...
-a

---------------------------------------

City staff collecting feedback from public on congestion-reduction mechanisms

Last Friday, the City announced a public consultation for their Downtown Transportation Operations Study. The study is focused on short and medium term solutions to reduce congestion in the downtown core. While their public consultation is scheduled for the same day as our AGM, they've created an online survey. We're concerned that the study does not do enough to address the transformative impact an investment in cycling infrastructure could have on reducing auto-dependence and congestion. Please click here and tell the City to invest in mechanisms such as safe, protected cycling infrastructure connecting to the core, on-street parking restrictions, especially on arterial roads, and more effective enforcement.

https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/TorontoDTOSSurvey?

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

April 2013 marks the 3rd annual Latin America & Caribbean Solidarity Month!

This year, we intend to honour the life and achievements of President Hugo Chavez in reflecting on and building the themes for this year which are peace, justice and solidarity.
For more info and full list of events see: http://lacsn.weebly.com/month-of-solidarity---april-2013.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The students of Creative Empowerment Work with the Disenfranchised (AEC 1409) invite faculty, staff, students and the community to:
The Mad, the Bad, & the Sad

Monday April 1, 7 pm
OISE Peace Lounge, 252 Bloor Street, 7th floor
Free Admission, Light Food and Beverages provided, Accessible and Scent-Free Event

Featured Performances:
• eZine Launch      • Puppet Show
• Performance Art    • Video Installation    • Photo Exhibit

To attend, please register at: themadbadandsad at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

They Were Promised the Sea
Film Party and a Mimouna Feast for Peace

Tuesday, April 2, 6:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)

An enchanting evening of Andalusian and Judeo-Arabic music from North Africa and the Middle East, tables laden with the traditional flatbreads and gorgeous sweet and savory flavours of Morocco, accompanied by endless glasses of mint tea. All in the spirit of Jewish-Arab-Muslim shared heritage of the Mimouna.  This party is for the just released film, They Were Promised the Sea, by Toronto filmmaker Kathy Wazana (previewing on March 24 at TIFF Bell Lightbox).

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-04-02/Party_They_Were_Promised_the_Sea.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Winona Laduke on Indigenous Environmental Justice

Tues. April 2, 7 p.m.
OISE Auditorium (252 Bloor West, St. George subway))

Winona LaDuke (Anishinaabe) is an internationally acclaimed author, orator and activist. A graduate of Harvard and Antioch Universities with advanced degrees in rural economic development, LaDuke has devoted her life to protecting the lands and life ways of Native communities. LaDuke also served as Ralph Nader's vice-presidential running mate on the Green Party ticket in the 1996 and 2000 presidential elections.

http://www.uofttix.ca/view.php?id=973

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transforming the Suburbs

Tues. April 2, 9 a.m. - noon
Toronto City Hall, Committee room 2, second floor (Queen and Bay)

Presented by the City of Toronto, and chaired by Chief Planner, Jennifer Keesmaat. The goal is to produce a series of actionable items that will identify immediate steps and set the stage for the future.  If you can't make it, the roundtable will be live streamed on the Rogers TV website.

RSVP by emailing chiefplannerroundtable at toronto.ca
More info: http://www.toronto.ca/planning/chiefplannerroundtable

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Relieve Anxiety and Depression Naturally

Tue Apr 2, 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Toronto Reference Library Elizabeth Beeton Auditorium (Bloor and Yonge)

Improve your Mental Health without medication. Paul Demeda, a Registered Orthomolecular Health Practitioner, discusses the complex links between mental health, nutrition, stress, the environment and many other factors. Find out what steps you can take to modify these conditions.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cinema Politica presents:
Land In Revolt: Impure Gold

Tuesday, April 2, 6:45 p.m.
The Bloor Cinema (at Bathurst)

Toronto Premiere. A breathtaking road trip exposing the power and greed of Canadian mining company Barrick Gold in Argentina.This screening is presented in collaboration with the Mining Injustice Solidarity Network, and is part of Hispanic Heritage Month - Toronto. Special guest speakers will be in attendance.

Impure Gold is the first instalment of the environmental project by the ever-activist Argentine filmmaker Fernando Solanas tackling the plundering of underground resources and the ensuing contamination ending with Black Gold. Portraying stark reality full of scams, miseries, and corruption, Solanas targets the mining industry and open-air cyanide or explosives extraction of minerals and metals at the northeast of Argentina, and observes the reaction of the local public. The extraction of resources is not the only loot –royalties and taxes create another unjust wealth. Impure Gold is a film told by its protagonists: engineers, farmers, indigenes, environmentalists, inhabitants who resist.

https://www.facebook.com/events/361538633960897/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Keep Back Campus Green - rally to protest the fake turf plans

Tuesday April 2, noon
In front of Soldiers' Tower (right beside Back Campus field, just south of Hoskin Ave, between St. George and Queen's Park West)

On 30 November 2012, information began to circulate regarding a plan to replace the grass of University of Toronto's Back Campus with artificial turf. Concerns have been raised about:
- The transparency of the governance process that led to the approval of the project
- The impact of restricted access to Back Campus, both for members of the University of Toronto and for the wider community
- Potential sustainability and environmental impact
- The permanent destruction of an irreplaceable heritage landscape, central to the precious and dwindling green space of downtown Toronto.
Bring signs and banners to show what Back Campus means to you! Bring rugby and soccer balls, Frisbees, etc. Guerrilla planting may take place.

http://www.keepbackcampusgreen.ca
http://www.facebook.com/events/432592363491750/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Open Shelter For The Homeless Now!  All Out to City Council

Wednesday, April 3, 9:30 am
Toronto City Hall (Queen and Bay)

After weeks of determined community action to force the City to respond to the crisis of overcrowding in its shelter system, the Community Development and Recreation Committee met on March 18. Dozens of powerful deputations were presented by those with experience of homelessness, front line workers and advocates. Despite a staff report still trying to suggest that the shelters were adequate, the myth of a system that is coping with the needs of those on the streets died on the floor of that committee room. Its members called on Council to return to a policy of opening more shelter spaces when the system reached 90% capacity but, astoundingly, recommended only that 172 'flex beds' be opened. This means putting down mats on the floor of already overcrowded shelters and pushing capacity well beyond 96%. At the same time, the church run Out-of-the-Cold program is set to close at the end of March meaning more people will be looking for a bed in even fewer spaces.

There is no getting around it - we need new shelter space opened up immediately. When this issue comes back to City Council on April 3rd, that is the decision that needs to be made by councillors. So, we are holding a rally and community meal for the homeless and all supporters on March 28 at Metro Hall - a building that was opened to the homeless in 1999 and could be open again. And we are going back to City Council on April 3rd to show that we are not backing down.

It has been suggested that we must move away from shelters and create housing - and we agree that we have to build a movement that fights for the right of everyone to have a home. But a City that lets people die on the streets for lack of shelter beds has no intention of housing them. And a City that has 90 000 households on the waiting list for social housing and skyrocketing rents cannot deny the necessity of shelters. We must force those in power to deal with the immediate crisis on the streets and open new shelter space without further excuses or delays.

Ontario Coalition Against Poverty   www.ocap.ca  416-925-6939
@OCAPtoronto   #TakeShelter    #NoHomelessDeaths

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tambogrande: Mangoes, Murder, Mining

Wednesday April 3, 6 pm
George Brown College (St. James Campus), 200 King St. E, Career Centre Room B155
Admission: By donation - *All proceeds will go to Ulises Garcia founder of the grassroots not-for-profit NGO 'Tropico Seco' (Peru) and their work with mining affected communities in Latin/South America.

In 1999, the residents of Tambogrande, a small town in northern Peru, learned that the government had secretly granted mining concessions on their land to a multi-national corporation. The residents of Tambogrande organized The Defense Front to protect their town. The directors follow the Tambogrande residents' five-year-long struggle to thwart the Peruvian government's connivance with corporate plans that would despoil their land and destroy their livelihoods. The film traces the history of the region, including the pioneering efforts of mango farmer Godofredo Garcia Baca, the leader of the protest movement who, beginning in the mid-Sixties, had helped transform Peru's northern desert into an important agricultural region. Tambogrande also chronicles the changing nature of the protest movement, from its early, often violent protests and confrontations with police, to the rechanneling of their efforts into peaceful protest and political action, using popular culture and technology - everything from dance and music to the Internet - to publicize their cause and to force the government to allow a referendum on the issue. Speaker and Discussion (Q & A) to follow film.

Presented by the Environmental Justice Club at George Brown College in collaboration with Mining Injustice Solidarity Network

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Starting Seeds Indoors
with Monika Meulman

Wed. April 3, 7 pm (doors 6:30)
36 Lombard St, 6th Floor
$10 - All materials provided!

Get started on your vegetable garden early with Monika Meulman of Lakeshore Environmental Gardening Society

http://transitiontoronto.ning.com/events/starting-seeds-indoors-with-monika-meulman

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Council of Canadians March Monthly meeting presents:
Campaign to Redeem Canadian Democracy

Wednesday, April 3, 7 – 9 p.m.
Metro Hall, 55 John Street (at King St. West), room 303

Guest speaker: Frank Bedek, a teacher at Mohawk College and McMaster University, will be discussing a campaign to redeem Canadian democracy by forcing the Harper government to resign before the end of the year and to fight a new election on the basis of respect for our system of government.  All welcome.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

If A Tree Falls - A Story of the Earth Liberation Front

Thur. April 4, 8 p.m.
OISE, Rm. 5150, 252 Bloor W. (St. George subway)

Free film screening. Followed by discussion with Sara Falconer, prison justice organizer (ABC). Nominated Best Documentary Feature, 2012 Academy Awards

In December 2005, Daniel McGowan was arrested by Federal agents in a nationwide sweep of radical environmentalists involved with the Earth Liberation Front-- a group the FBI has called America's "number one domestic terrorism threat." For years, the ELF—operating in separate anonymous cells without any central leadership—had launched spectacular arsons against dozens of businesses they accused of destroying the environment: timber companies, SUV dealerships, wild horse slaughterhouses, and a $12 million ski lodge at Vail, Colorado. With the arrest of Daniel and thirteen others, the government had cracked what was probably the largest ELF cell in America and brought down the group responsible for the very first ELF arsons in this country.

IF A TREE FALLS: A STORY OF THE EARTH LIBERATION FRONT tells the remarkable story of the rise and fall of this ELF cell, by focusing on the transformation and radicalization of one of its members. Part coming-of-age tale, part cops-and-robbers thrilller, the film interweaves a vérité chronicle of Daniel on house arrest as he faces life in prison, with a dramatic recounting of the events that led to his involvement with the group. And along the way it asks hard questions about environmentalism, activism, and the way we define terrorism.

Presented by University of Toronto Cinema Politica
www.cinemapolitica.org/uoft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

De-Railed: The National Dream
by film-maker Dan Nystedt

Thur. April 4, 7 pm
Ryerson University, 350 Victoria Street (near Yonge and Dundas), LIB 072

The screening will be hosted by Winnie Ng, CAW-Sam Gindin Chair of Social Justice and Democracy, Ryerson University. Opening comments will be made by Dan Nystedt and Olivia Chow, Federal Government Transportation Critic.

De-Railed: The National Dream is a documentary by independent film-maker, Dan Nystedt, that examines the crumbling state of the Canadian railway system.  Having lost more than 10,000 kilometres of track since 1990, why has Canada allowed its “ribbon of rail” to become so tattered?  This film is an excellent tool for educating the public about the urgency of the current rail situation and the need for action to be taken to prevent the loss of more rail.  A full-length documentary film, De-Railed looks at the deregulation, struggles, successes, economic and environmental implications, and human stories of short-line passenger rail services across Canada.

Nystedt travelled by train to places throughout Canada (e.g. in Saskatchewan, Manitoba and Vancouver Island) where municipalities, First Nations and community organizations are trying to preserve and restore endangered short line rail services. The film explores the factors behind the deregulation of our Nation’s greatest infrastructure—rail—through reflection on the history of short-line passenger rail, the environmental implications of the impending energy crisis and the potential role of rail in Canada’s steps towards environmental sustainability.

In the 1800s tracks were laid across this massive continent. Little more than one hundred years after the completion of the trans-Canada rail-line we are tearing up our tracks for the cost of the steel, and increasingly investing in automobile culture as the entire world is discussing climate change, the energy crisis, and how to implement a ‘green revolution’. This is an urgent concern since communities without passenger rail will find themselves economically, socially, and culturally isolated as flying and long-distance automobile transportation become too costly in dollars and carbon emissions.

A trailer for the film can be viewed at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1tdJ6q7jYg.
For more info:  Linda Savory Gordon - linda.savory-gordon at algomau.ca or 705 949 2301 ext 4320.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Managing Without Growth: Slower by Design, Not Disaster
With Peter Victor, Professor of Environmental Studies, from York University

Thur. April 4, 7 - 9 pm
University College, 15 King’s College Circle, Room 144 (east end of the building on the ground floor), U of T

Dr. Peter Victor is an economist who has worked on environmental issues for over 40 years as an academic, consultant and public servant. By extending input-output analysis, he was the first economist to apply the physical law of the conservation of matter to the empirical analysis of a national economy. Dr. Victor was one of the founders of the emerging discipline of ecological economics and was the first President of the Canadian Society for Ecological Economics. His most recent book is Managing without Growth. Slower by Design, not Disaster. (Edward Elgar, 2008)

Presented by Science for Peace
http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/managing-without-growth-slower-by-design-not-disaster

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confronting a Nuclear Age: Necessary Changes in the Human Future
With Derek Paul

Thur. April 4, 3 - 5 pm
University College, 15 King’s College Circle, U of T, Room 044 (east end of the building in the basement)
Free

Economics, energy, speed, and technology.

http://www.scienceforpeace.ca/managing-without-growth-slower-by-design-not-disaster
https://www.facebook.com/events/351436061633355/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Take back Parliament: Is Proportional Representation the Way?

Thursday, April 4, 7 – 9 p.m.
519 Community Centre, 519 Church Street
Free!

Learn about each party's position on proportional representation: what it is and what they are doing to promote it. With panel guests: Peggy Nash, MP (NDP), Hon. Carolyn Bennett, MP (Liberal Party), Jim Harris (Green Party). Moderator: John Deverel, founding treasurer of Fair Vote Canada, a journalist for 25 years with the Toronto Star, author of 3 books including Democracy, Eh? A Guide to Voter Action.

• Discuss the implications of proportional representation
• Discuss how we can make electoral reform happen
• Tell the parties we are concerned about the fate of Canadian Democracy

Organized by the Canadian Electoral Alliance. Co-sponsored by the Council of Canadians (Toronto), Fair Vote Toronto, Greenspiration, JustEarth, RaBIT
https://www.facebook.com/events/500515769995416/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Facing Climate Change: Warning Labels on Gas Pumps

Thur. April 4, 4 – 5 p.m.
CSI Annex, 720 Bathurst St., ING Presentation Space (s. of Bloor)
Free

The first step to surmounting any challenge is to honestly first face it. This is what Our Horizon's globally-unprecedented campaign asks us to do. Our Horizon is advocating that municipalities across Canada use their licensing powers to require gasoline retailers to place warning labels on gas pump nozzles just like those on cigarette packages. The warning label connects a behaviour with its consequence right at the point of purchase. The concept also internalizes cost in a qualitative way; it communicates information to the marketplace in a way that a 10-cent increase at the pump never will. We're running out of time with climate change. We need something to shake us out of our sense of complacency – and this is it. When a municipality passes this by-law, it will create a global precedent that will quickly spread all over the world. Our idea is a game-changer: it’s time to face our greatest challenge.

http://socialinnovation.ca/event/social-innovation-salon-facing-climate-change

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Refugee Rights Are Human Rights

Thur. April 4, 6 - 9 p.m.
Beit Zatoun – 612 Markham St. (near Bloor and Bathurst)

An evening of art, presentations and conversation about Canada's changing refugee policies and the Roma community, followed by the Gala Opening of the Roma Rising Canada Photo Exhibit in Toronto by Chad Evans Wyatt

Presented by the Canadian Civil Liberties Association, OCASI, and the Roma Community Centre.
http://romatoronto.org/pdf/April_4_2013_Refugee_Rights_Are_Human_Rights.pdf

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Confront Sexism! Confront Misogyny! MRAs Not Welcome!

Thursday April 4, Meet at 6:30 p.m.
Meet at the corner of Harbord and St. George street, Look for the banners and flags

On April 4th, the Men’s Issues Awareness Society (MIA), a student group at the U of T, will be hosting their next event. A campus based offshoot of the innocuous sounding Canadian Association for Equality, these campus based Men’s Issues Groups are cropping up on campuses across the country and proliferate the rhetoric that the hardships men deal with are the result of feminism and the growth of women’s rights. While young men do deal with suicide and incarceration, as women do, these issues are not the result of feminism or victories for the women’s movement, and it is disingenuous for them to claim as such.  Focusing energy on supposed false accusations of rape while 1 in 3 women will be sexually assaulted in their life is unacceptable. To suggest that issues of equality for men and women are on a level playing field is to deny the historical and continuing societal and institutional oppression of women, the prevalence of gender based violence against women and the double burden of domestic and paid labour, amongst other things.

Their event on April 4th includes the authors of “Speaking Misandry: The Teaching of Contempt for Men in Popular Culture” and “Legalizing Misandry: From Public Shame to Systemic Discrimination against Men" and may seem innocent enough to some, but is part of a larger effort to indoctrinate men (and some women) into understanding men’s troubles as the result of women’s achievements, and not through the lens of capitalism and patriarchy, white supremacy and heterosexism.  Meanwhile, the University of Toronto has been quite accommodating to the Men’s Issues Awareness campus chapter, despite their targeting and online harassment of female members of the University of Toronto community. When students and community members confronted the event where Farrell was invited to speak, the University defended the Men’s Issues group’s right to free speech, while campus and Toronto police shoved and assaulted protestors. If the University of Toronto administration plans to do nothing while this group spreads hatred against women, we will not do the same. They can continue to hold their events, but we will be there every single time to confront them!  No Sexism here! Misogyny not Welcome! MRAS Go Away!

For more information on Men's Rights Activism:
http://linchpin.ca/content/Anti-oppression/Towards-Militant-Feminist-Movement-Confronting-Men’s-Rights-Organi
http://rsmtoronto.wordpress.com/2013/03/19/denounce-the-mras-defend-womens-rights-build-the-revolutionary-students-movement/
http://rabble.ca/blogs/bloggers/michael-laxer/2012/12/mens-rights-movement-cafe-university-toronto
http://socialistworkercanada.com/2012/11/07/why-mens-rights-groups-are-wrong/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Energy Autonomy: The Fourth Revolution

Friday April 5, 6:45 pm
Friends House 60 Lowther Ave.( 2 bl n. of Bloor at Bedford) (St. George subway station)
PWYC

Fabulous Film, with speaker Janet McNeill on Ontario's Energy Future. Refreshments.
Sponsored by Downtown Green Neighbours and Peace and Social Action Committee

https://www.facebook.com/events/505462899514867/?context=create

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beat The Winter Blues neighbourhood fundraiser - great music and food

Friday April 5, Doors open at 6:30 p.m., Music starts at 7 p.m.
Davenport Perth Neighbourhood & Community Health Centre in the Sanctuary, 1900 Davenport road (Symington Ave.)
This is a PWYC event with a suggested donation of $25.00, this includes your entrance, food, beverages and door prizes.

In support of the Clean Train Coalition (www.cleantrain.ca) and the Pelham Community Hub. The annual Beat The Winter Blues fundraising event this year will feature musical performances by RISE, Andrew Cash, the Pelham Community Hub kids and Brazilian Banda Zé Fuá, delivering a blast of energy and excitement on stage in the authentic Forró style originating in Pernambuco in the north-east of Brazil.

https://www.facebook.com/events/356800647767289/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

People Uncounted
2011  99 minutes

Friday, April 5, 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West , Room 2-212 (St. George Subway Station:.
Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.

The Roma (Gypsies) faced annihilation during the Nazi 'Final Solution,' yet have been relegated to a footnote in history. Today, the Roma are victims of extreme and often violent racial persecution. A People Uncounted is a powerful journey exposing the tragedy of Europe's largest minority group. Guest speaker is Lynn Hutchinson Lee, a multimedia artist living in Toronto and of English Romani descent. Her work has been exhibited in Canada, Latin America and Europe, most recently at the Roma Pavilion at the 54th Venice Biennale, Italy. She was artistic director of a recent project with Roma women in Parkdale, titled Musaj te Dzav/ I Must Leave. A member of the Roma Community Centre since 1999, she is chair of RCC’s social justice committee.

For more info: www.socialistaction.ca or call 416 – 461-6942.
Presented by Toronto Socialist Action as part of their Rebel Film series

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Creating Your Natural Holistic Business

Friday, April 5, 10 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Anarres Natural Health, 792A Dovercourt Road (Near Bloor - Ossington subway)

Learn how to make your business as efficient, natural AND environmentally friendly and sustainable as possible for you.

Register: http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1298

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Blissful Helath is  presents a feature documentary by Vinko Totic:
Mystery of the Bosnian Pyramids
Join us on the journey through the Valley of Pyramids in Bosnia

Friday, April 5, 7:30 p.m. and
Sunday, April 7, 7:30 p.m.
Botanical Garden, 777 Lawrence Ave E.

An extraordinary documentary depicting all known facts about Pyramid Valley in Bosnia, linked with kilometers of underground tunnels and labyrinths. In this 90 minutes documentary, you will learn about the discovery of the pyramids that Dr. Sam Osmanagic made in 2005. You will see interviews with archeologists, scientists, volunteers and learn:
- The age of the Pyramid Of Sun is 24 800+/- 200 years
- The height of the Pyramid Of Sun is 220 meters
- Tens of kilometers of underground network of tunnels interconnecting all of them
- The equilateral triangle (2.2km) between picks of Pyramids Of Sun, Moon and Dragon
- Electro magnetic radiation or energy beam streaming out of pick of Pyramid of Sun (28KHz)
- Numerous monoliths and artifacts found in tunnels

After the movie, will be discussion with the author who will share his own insights regarding his movie and pyramids discovery.
Also, we are organizing the trip to Bosnian Pyramid Valley in June this year (to meditate on Summer Solstice on the top of Pyramid of Sun)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Protecting Rights and Building Solidarity: A workshop on migrant labour and immigration

Fri. April 5, 6:30 pm and Sat. April 6, 9 am - 4:30 p.m.
Metro Hall, Plenary Room 308 & 309, 55 John Street

The main goal of our event is to bring together advocates, unions, experts, community organizations and allies who are committed to protecting and strengthening the rights of newcomers to our province’s labour market. Through speakers and participatory sessions, participants will examine the impact of current policies, explore solutions and develop strategies for joint action.

The workshop is free but pre-registration is required.
For more information, contact Edgar Godoy at egodoy at ofl.ca or 416-441-2731 Ext. 675.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Total Health Show

April 5 - 7, Fri. - Sun.
Metro Toronto Convention Centre

Our speakers will focus on creating good health and preventing disease using natural methods: good nutrition, living foods, herbs, natural supplements, diverse healing modalities, energy medicine, organic gardening, traditional farming, agricultural biodiversity, healthy homes, ecologically based communities, renewable energy source and preserving a healthy environment for our children. We as consumers must choose foods and medicines which do no harm to people, animals or our planet. Other focal points of the show include the health effects of the electromagnetic fields created by cell towers, cell phones and WiFi and how to safely use this technology. Our central Gourmet Organic Cafe and relaxing Spa Oasis provide delicious food, massage and an invigorating and uplifting atmosphere.

http://www.totalhealthshow.com/showInfo/index.cfm?CFID=6379137&CFTOKEN=62050973

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Four Sacred Colours Pow Wow

Saturday, 6 April, 12:30 - 4:30 pm
George Brown College, 51 Dockside Drive

All are welcome! Presented by The Sahkitcheway Aboriginal Student Association of George Brown College.
- Master of Ceremonies Earl Lambert     - Drummers     - Dancers
- Elders    - Feast    - Giveaway     - Vendors

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Grassroots Fundraising

Sunday, April 7, 1 - 5 p.m.
U of T location
Register: http://www.eventbrite.ca/event/4668223783/eorg

This workshop will help you prepare to develop a strategic fundraising plan for your grassroots social or ecological justice group. The workshop will focus on identifying the strengths and weaknesses of common grassroots fundraising methods including events, membership donations, small grants, contributions from NGOs and unions, online, etc, with an eye to assessing what will be most effective and appropriate for your group.  We will also offer tips on best practices, including case studies of effective fundraising efforts.

Trainer: Paul Tucker is an educator and organizer based in Toronto. He has fundraised for grassroots groups as well as professionally for registered non-profits.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto East end against Line 9
With Ron Plain of Aamjiwnaang First Nation and a Panel of speakers followed by open discussion.

Sun. April 7, 2 p.m.
East York Civic Centre, 850 Coxwell (at Mortimer)

What is Line 9? Line 9 was built in 1975 to transport conventional oil westwards from Montreal to Sarnia. Now Enbridge wants to reverse the flow and use it to pump bitumen from the tar sands east. According to the Natural Resources Defense Council, “These heavy metals have a variety of toxic effects, are not biodegradable, and can accumulate in the environment to become health hazards to wildlife and people.”

Line 9 passes through the most densely-populated area in Canada, including Toronto, and through critical watersheds including the St. Clair River, the Thames River, and the Grand River. Line 9 also passes through First Nations territories that have not been consulted, and that have already had experience with oil and chemical companies. According to Ron Plain, member of Aamjiwnaang First Nation, “The lands these companies operate upon were stolen from my community and turned into a toxic wasteland without our consent or consultation...Instead of feeding my family these lands kill my community.”

A tar sands spill on Enbridge’s Line 9 could spread toxic fumes across the city and foul the rivers feeding our Lake Ontario water supply. The magnificent Idle No More movement has brought the tar sands issue to national attention. Exploitation of the tar sands speeds up climate change, posing a threat to all the world’s peoples.

Numerous organizations, community groups, and NGO’s from one end of the city to the other have already hit the streets and started raise awareness about Line 9. Toronto City Councillors have voted unanimously to demand information on Enbridge’s plans and intervene in regulatory hearings.  We need you to speak up!

https://www.facebook.com/events/527564213955023/
eastendnotar at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Last Chance

Film which follows the journeys of five refugees seeking asylum in Canada on the basis of their sexual orientation and exposes the ordeals that they endure at the hands of the Canadian refugee process, which simultaneously maintains the image of Canada as tolerant and progressive while subjecting these refugees to a harrowing ordeal.

Sunday, April 7, 5 pm
Bloor St. United Church (300 Bloor St. W, near Spadina)

Documentary and Dinner: Faith & Activism Series - Faith in a "Benevolent State" - All events feature free vegetarian dinner and are held in an accessible room . Events are intended to foster conversation about the connections between equality, justice, diversity, oppression, power and faith/religious expression. Come watch and discuss these films in a respectful, open, diverse community of young adults and students.

http://www.facebook.com/events/377321569031475/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Mining Resistance Art Build

Sunday April 7th, and April 14th, 1-6pm
Whippersnapper Gallery - 594B Dundas St W

All are welcome to take part in an art build to create street theater props, paint banners, stencils, and contribute to ongoing campaigns against the destructive actions of Canadian mining companies in Canada and abroad. Spring Into Action is a month long series of events organized by Mining Injustice Solidarity Network. A number of major mining companies have their annual shareholder meetings in Toronto between the months of April-May. The materials created through this art build will be brought to shareholder meetings to confront shareholders and execs on the devastating impact of their operations on local indigenous communities and the environment. For those that are less familiar with mining issues, we will have an informal teach-in as we build. No art or building experience necessary! You'll learn as you go!

http://mininginjusticesn.wordpress.com/2012/03/30/artbuilds-2/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Yoga for Anxiety

Sunday April 7, 3 - 5 p.m.
with Genevieve Walker at Downward Dog studio on Queen St. W.
$40 plus GST

This workshop will focus on bringing a sense of calm and equilibrium to the body and mind through asana practice, pranayama (breathing techniques) and meditation. Within this two-hour workshop practical tools for managing anxiety in daily life will be provided. Blending modern discoveries in neuroscience and psychology, with yogic principles in a discussion on why we experience anxiety and how to manage it.

http://www.downwarddog.com/web/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=43&Itemid=19&LocationID=1&TypeGroupID=11&ClassID=2199

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Permaculture Design Course: Co-Creating Regenerative Futures for the City, and Beyond

Building on the success of last year’s offering, we are pleased to announce Toronto’s second fullly Certified Permaculture Design Course, April 12 - 28, 2013 (100+ hours of teaching and learning). The rich content will be taught over 100 hours of lectures, innovative exercises, special guests, site visits, hands-on activities, and design work. We will start with permaculture principles and ethics, moving into design methodologies, which includes observation skills. We will further create a foundation with the earth and life sciences, and journey through natural and cultivated ecologies. For our home systems, we will look at natural building, renewable energy systems, biological waste treatment systems, and food storage. Beyond individual homes, we will explore various forms of sustainable communities, which include green economics and cultural systems.

Students will be supported with quality mentorship in their personal and professional paths. We will be developing skills as permaculture designers throughout the course, which will culminate in a final wholistic design project. Field trips and locations will showcase what Toronto is doing on the eco-front. There will be some evening and weekend sessions, which will be open to people not on the full course.

For more info and registration: http://gardenjane.com/workshopsandevents/permaculturecourse.html

Interested in joining our food team that will be providing students with Healthy, Nutritious, DELICIOUS food?
http://www.gardenjane.com/permaculturefoodteam.html
Contact Petra: 416.732.8965

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Personal Chef Services Available!

My job is to assist you, your family or partner in managing your dietary needs on a regular basis. My goal is to offer simple, delicious, healthful locally grown & forged, seasonally-minded produce and products raised within a sustainable and organic context in order to create a connection and the often missing link, between you and what you eat. Each dish is prepared with great joy, care and consciousness in a loving heartfelt manner making it possible for you to enjoy home-style meals that support the body, mind spirit and soul on every level. I will custom design menus, dishes and recipes to meet your specific dietary needs. I can assist you with shopping and be prepared to spend the day in your kitchen preparing and prepping anything and everything you need to keep you going until my next visit. Feel free to get in touch and share your specific needs and set up a consultation. I will gladly listen and respond with a well thought out approach, full of suggestions to meet your needs!

Petra Hanzlik  <permacultured.food.design at gmail.com>  416.732.8965

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Green 13 Rain Barrel Fundraiser

	• Buy a rain barrel made from food grade, recycled plastics at a very competitive price.
	• Reduce run-off, pressure on the city's water supply system and by extension your water bill in the summer.
	• Proceeds help us fight the Emerald Ash Borer and  maintain our ward's tree canopy, transition to a low carbon neighbourhood, organize monthly movie screenings and public meetings.
Orders are now being taken for a Saturday April 27 pickup date.
Distribution will be from 12:00 PM to 3 PM at FreshCo, east end of parking lot, 3400 Dundas Street West ( just west of Runnymede). No household limits and no residency requirements are imposed; however, only barrels ordered in advance are guaranteed to be available.

Each rain barrel (220 litre/55 US gallons) comes fully equipped with a leaf and mosquito filter basket, an overflow adaptor that permits multiple barrels to be connected in series, 1.2m of overflow hose and a spigot that attaches directly to a garden hose. The price is $60 per barrel. (Additional overflow hose can also be purchased if required.)

Order your barrel online by selecting a button beside the barrel you prefer below.

For more information to order your rain barrel please visit:http://rainbarrel.ca/green13/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in