T.O. Greenspiration Events: Month of May

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Apr 28 18:14:30 EDT 2013

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Hey Toronto Friends. I'm outta here - well, for a month of travel. So below find a month's worth of great events - mark your calendars!
I'll reconnect with you again in June.
Peace, love and revolution...
-angela
p.s. If the newsletter gets cut off because it's too long, check the archive here: http://list.web.ca/pipermail/greenspirationto-l/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Bike Events Calendar
http://www.bikeevents.to/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Canada needs a REVOLUTION of green energy NOW
Sign the AVAAZ petition: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/Canada_needs_a_REVOLUTION_of_green_energy_NOW/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Send a letter to Premier Wynne asking her to prioritize energy efficiency over high-cost, dangerous nuclear projects!
http://glcserve.com/wynne-letter.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hot Docs
North America’s largest documentary festival
April 25 – May 5
Theatres across Toronto
To see more films on ecology and the environment, please view our list here: http://www.hotdocs.ca/film/search/search&category=263/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A World Without Psychiatry: A Radical Vision
with Anti-Psychiatry activist Don Weitz
Mon. April 29, 7 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor W, Rm. 5150
A Free U of T event

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Chill Out For A Cause
A Clean, Green and Serene Pop-Up Clinic

Monday April 29, 5:30 to 7:30 pm
215 Spadina Ave, Suite 120, Centre for Social Innovation
Free / by charitable donation (Donations over $20 will receive a charitable tax receipt from the WHEN)

Celebrate April – Eco-Month and Cancer Prevention Month – by getting natural stress relief (ear acupuncture/acupressure), while supporting the Women’s Healthy Environments Network (WHEN). Come to a temporary oasis amidst the bustling Centre for Social Innovation… sit in stillness, enjoy soothing live music, and let your mind and body relax. This temporary de-tox and de-stress clinic is here for you, all for a PWYC donation toward WHEN’s cancer prevention work!  Ear acupuncture / acupressure is great for relaxation, sleep, pain relief, emotional balance, trauma recovery, managing substance use and/or withdrawal. (Scared of needles? Get acupressure beads instead!) A 15 minute intro to Chinese Medicine, WHEN, and environmentalism will be given at 5:30 pm. Latecomers are welcome to drop by for treatment anytime between 5:30 and 7 pm. We’ll explain to you how it works, you sit down and get the treatment (relax with the needles/beads in place until 7:30).

RSVP if you can, please!  416-890-7770 orinfo at paulinehwang.ca
https://www.facebook.com/events/461988447205342/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

FreeScool Lecture
with Sydney White, Studies in Propaganda
Ancient technology and the roots of religion:  The translations of Samuel Kramer & Zecharia Sitchin.  Their evidence for nuclear wars in 2024 B.C.
Monday, April 2, 6 - 8 pm
Room 161, 15 King's College Circle, University College

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Violence No More

Mon. April 29, 7:30 pm
OISE Auditorium, 252 Bloor Street West

No More Silence Network and the Women and Gender Studies Institute at University of Toronto present:
- Andrea Smith, Cherokee scholar-activist, co-founder of INCITE!
- Bridget Tollet & Kristen Gilchrist, co-founders of Families of Sisters in Spirit
Women die at the hands of men all oer the world, and the Violence No More event remembers the fallen.
http://www.rememberoursisterseverywhere.com/events/violence-no-more
Supported by:  Native Youth Sexual Health Network; Sistering; New College, UofT; Department of Anthropology, UofT; Canadian Studies, UofT; Department of Political Science, UofT; OISE/UT Graduate Student Association.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Our Community and the Port Authority

Monday April 29,7:30pm
Harbourfront Community Centre, 627 Queen's Quay West

* What is happening at Toronto Island Airport?
* Why is there a strike at Porter FBO?
* How does all of this effect our Community?
Forum and open discussion with:
* Porter Workers
* Community Spokespeople
* Professor Steven Tufts, Geography Department, York University

Organized by the Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly, Public Sector Campaign
https://www.facebook.com/events/434779199947738/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

From Poverty to Power
Racial Justice, Making Change

Monday April 29, 6 pm to 9 pm - welcome to the conference, guest speakers, poetry performances and reception
Tuesday April 30, 9 am to 5pm - all day learning and strategy forum with guest speakers, roundtable discussions and issue focused strategy sessions
Oakham House, Ryerson University, Room SCC 115, Toronto

Roundtables will include:
* Intersectionality of oppression     * Political Participation and Representation
Issue focused strategy sessions will include the following topics:
* Employment Equity     * Income Security
* Colours of Politics     * Criminal Justice and Policing
* Immigration Policy and the Changing Face of Canada     * Federal Fiscal Policy
* Education: Access and Opportunities

Everyone welcome! Free, but please register to reserve your spot soon.
www.colourofpoverty.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Big Move: A Regional Solution to Unlocking Gridlock

Tuesday, April 30, 5:30 pm – 8 pm
CSI, 720 Bathurst Street (South of Bloor)
Free

With guest speakers:
- CEO of Metrolinx, Bruce McCuaig
- President and CEO of the Toronto Region Board of Trade, Carol Wilding
- Director of Pembina Institute, Cherise Burda.
Please join us for a discussion on the importance of ‘The Big Move’ Map. Where do public perception and the need for transit expansion meet?
Presented by The Transit Alliance
http://www.unlockgridlock.ca/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spaces and Places - Poverty and Homelessness in Toronto’s Suburbs

Tuesday April 30, 7 pm
OISE - 252 Bloor St. W. – Room 2211
Pay What You Can Movie Screening and Discussion

Not so many years ago a former mayor of Toronto used to day there were no street people in his suburb. That was never true, but now the suburban dream is definitely over for many. Meet the Peel Poverty Action Group to review their video evidence and explore what we can do.
For more info: 416-707-3509
www.TorontotheBetter.net
TorontotheBetter – building Toronto’s social economy

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Unify Toronto Dialogues
with Mike Nickerson

Tuesday, April 30, 6 - 9 p.m.
OISE Peace Lounge , 252 Bloor Street West, 7th floor (Near the St George Subway)

Sustainability guru Mike Nickerson will catalyse our dialogue by naming the question of direction. Should we continue to defy planetary limits and seek to grow forever, or should we acknowledge those limits and work to secure the future within them? The times have changed and so must our vision—locally, nationally and for the entire human project.

Unify Toronto Dialogues is a monthly series toward co-creating a just, thriving and sustainable Toronto. Gather with other shift-makers working toward positive change for a sustainable, just and thriving Toronto. Find juice for your change work. Renew inspiration and find connections and support for individual and collective action.
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/6259226515/?ref=enivte001&invite=MzQyMDQyOS9hbmRpemVuZEB5YWhvby5jYS8w&utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=inviteformalv2&utm_term=attend&ref=enivte001

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Pop-up Picnic

Tuesday, April 30, noon - 1 p.m.
Grange Park (Queen and John, or Beverly)

Join the David Suzuki Foundation, Food Forward and Lemon Bucket Orkestra for a lunchtime Pop-up Picnic in celebration of the launch of the David Suzuki Foundation's 30x30 Nature Challenge (http://www.davidsuzuki.org/30x30challenge). There will be great local food vendors, amazing music and the usual wonders of nature nearby.
https://www.facebook.com/events/120635854800327/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Play on Back Campus - Keep it Real! Not Astroturf!

Tuesday, April 30, noon - 4 p.m.
Back Campus, U of T

U of T plans to convert the large field near Convocation Hall into astroturf. Come by Back Campus and play. Yes, play. Bring your soccer balls, frisbees, hula hoops, friends, dogs (in case you don't have any, these will also be provided-well, not the friends or dogs)- just come by for as long as you want and do whatever you want, but make sure to show your love for public green space. This will be a public showing of our community's love for this field and desire to keep it green. And it will also be fun. Invite your friends! Watch the video that explains more.
https://www.facebook.com/events/157993727695280/
http://keepbackcampusgreen.ca/join.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Please join us for the launch of a new short film about Methadone

Tuesday, April 30, 10:30 am.
Li Ka Shing Knowledge Institute, 209 Victoria Street (at Shuter), Room 241
Everyone is welcome. Organized by the Canadian Harm Reduction Network

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

City Designers for Keeping the Back Campus Green

Wednesday, May 1, 6 - 8 p.m.
Urban Space Gallery / Centre for City Ecology, 401 Richmond Street (at Spadina)

'City Designers for Keeping the Back Campus Green,' formed by architects, landscape architects and urban designers, in support of the 'Keep the Back Campus Green' group is planning this information evening. Information about the University of Toronto's plans to replace the Back Campus Common with two new astro-turf fields will be presented and discussed. Losing such a key heritage cultural landmark is not only a campus issue - it is of city-wide concern for all who value the public realm and our cultural heritage. We are inviting everyone to attend.
https://www.facebook.com/events/126834924174900/?ref=22
http://keepbackcampusgreen.ca/join.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

May Day Solidarity City Free Food for All Festival

Wed. May 1, 1 - 4 p.m.
Queen's Park
Free food, speakers, music, workshops, theatre
https://www.facebook.com/events/517856668259940/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

May Day: Solidarity City! Status for All! Decolonize Now!
Join us in the streets for our 8th Annual May Day of Action!

Wednesday May 1, 5:30 pm
March starts at Toronto City Hall

For seven years, you have marched on May Day to celebrate and invigorate migrant justice struggles in Toronto. On May 1st, 2013, let's take to the streets once again to build a Solidarity City. Solidarity City is a unified struggle for: Respect for Indigenous Sovereignty; Status for All; an End to Imperialism and Environmental Destruction; an End to Austerity and Attacks on the Poor and Continued Resistance against Patriarchy, Racism, Ableism & Homo/Transphobia.
On facebook: www.facebook.com/events/306795326114626
Videos from previous year: http://bit.ly/MayDayTOVids
On the web: http://toronto.nooneisillegal.org/MayDay2013

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Composting and Vermiculture workshop

Wed. May 1, 6 pm - 7 pm
Toronto Tool Library, 1499 Queen St. West
Cost: $20 if you bring your own bin / $30 if bin is supplied at workshop for you to take home

Learn to improve your gardens, lawns, and trees while minimizing your home's waste!  Composting is a great way to improve your soil and ensure that anything that you grow can be bountiful as well as organic.  This course will show you how to select the right compost bin, choose the best location, choose the right mix of waste to be composted, and maintain and harvest your compost in order to be able to use it in your gardens or even on your lawn.  In addition, we will look at the use of vermiculture to give you a superior compost harvest (using worms) in less time than using typical compost methods.
http://transitiontoronto.ning.com/events/composting-vermiculture-workshop

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Happy 20th CBN!
Community Bicycle Network Open House

Wednesday May 1, 10 am - 10 pm
761 Queen Street West
Free

Come by to say Hi and to see what events and partnerships we have in store for this special season. Celebrate with us! Established in 1993, CBN is Toronto's
award-winning community bike space.
416-504-2918
www.communitybicyclenetwork.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Reinventing the Future: Green Economy at Community Scale

Wednesday, May 1, 5 pm - 7 pm
The TELUS Centre for Performance and Learning, 273 Bloor Street West, Leslie & Anna Dan Galleria, Lower Level

The Metcalf Foundation’s Environment Program invites you to an informative and lively event, featuring two leading thinkers on issues of growth and environmental and economic sustainability: Tim Jackson and Peter Victor.
http://metcalffoundation.com/publications-resources/view/green-economy-at-community-scale/?utm_source=Junction+%26+Riverdale%3A+Newsletter&utm_campaign=34c95470c3-Test_110_26_2011&utm_medium=email

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

MayWorks Festival
Festival of Working People and the Arts
May 1 - 15

The program includes theatre performances, poetry readings, visual arts exhibits, film screenings, a concert, and various interactive workshops and forums - a multi-disciplinary program reflecting themes of labour, art and politics.
http://mayworks.ca/2013-festival-program/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

United in Anger: A History of Act Up
Features archival footage and interviews from the ACT UP (AIDS Coalition to Unleash Power) Oral History Project

Thur. May 2, 8 p.m.
OISE, Rm. 5150, 252 Bloor W. (St. George subway)
www.cinemapolitica.org/uoft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Preventing Antidepressant Tragedies
With David Carmichael

Thursday May 2, 7 pm
Barbara Frum Library, Auditorium B, 20 Covington Road (behind Lawrence Plaza, NW corner of Bathurst and Lawrence Ave.)

David will be providing much more insight into his psychotic episode than what he shared in this 2007 CTV W-FIVE episode about his family tragedy  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4a7sznzIkc .  Lots of time for Q&A.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Post-Oil City – The History of the City's Future
Multi-media exhibition, film program and talks around shrinking footprints

May 3 - July 31
Opening Thur. May 2, 6 pm with Keynote by Ronald Grätz, Secretary General of IfA
Evergreen Brick Works, 550 Bayview Avenue, Toronto, ON
Free

At a time when more than half of the world’s population is living in cities, the effects of climate change on urban life can no longer be ignored. The exhibition “Post-Oil City: The History of the City’s Future,” as well as the accompanying catalogue edited by ARCH+, present innovative projects in Asia, Africa, and America that address urgent questions: How will the transition from fossil fuels to renewable energy affect the process of urban planning and the city? How will the use of renewable energies affect urban metabolism and the politics of sustainability and mobility?
Presented by the Institute for Foreign Cultural Relations (IfA), the Goethe-Institut, and Evergreen
http://www.goethe.de/ins/ca/tor/ver/en10127047v.htm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Philosophy lecture series
A Free University event

Academic lectures on different aspects of animal rights
Every Thursday evening (until June), 7:10 p.m.
@ 5 Bancroft Ave. Rm B-149 (U of T, Earth Sciences building)
Also, free animal rights related film, same room, Thurs. 5:10 pm.

The blog for the course is http://animalrightsacademy.com/
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/409385955794789/
Previous lectures are available on podcast and video.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Protest Goldcorp: Yes to Life, Yes to Health and Justice!

Thur. May 2, 2 p.m.
325 Bay St., Trump Hotel and Tower

Speak out against a gold mining company infamous throughout the Americas for triggering violence, illness and conflict. This year, we want to highlight the health problems that Goldcorp has occassioned. From mysterious rashes, to respiratory problems, food insecurity, water quality issues, cracked houses and mental health problems, Goldcorp has posed serious threats to communities living near their operations. From North to South, Turtle Island, El Salvador, Guatemala, Mexico, Honduras, Chile and everywhere, stand in solidarity with Goldcorp-affected communities!
https://www.facebook.com/events/431720483585523/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sacred Activism presents:
A Weekend with Charles Eisenstein: The More Beautiful World Our Hearts Know is Possible

Fri. May 3, 7:30 - 9:30 p.m Introduction
Sat. - Sun. May 4-5
401 Richmond st west, suite 384 (www.theinnergarden.ca)
PWYC  (pay what you can)

Join this acclaimed author-teacher for this weekend long gathering aimed to revolutionize your effectiveness as a leader, healer, and/or social activist in times of rapid change. Our society is entering a time of profound transition. Crises in the economy, the ecosystem, health, education, water, energy, and more are propelling our civilization toward a radically different way of living on planet earth. Such conditions call for a new kind of leader, and even a whole new paradigm of leadership.
https://www.facebook.com/events/140104159496918/
http://www.theinnergarden.ca/#!sacred-activism

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Roasted Applesauce Workshop

Fri. May 3, 6 – 9 p.m.
West End Food Coop - Food Hub, 1229 Queen Street West (one door west of the south-west corner of Queen and Dufferin)
$50

Learn about canning while making delicious roasted apple sauce with local apples! We will lead you through a delicious recipe and an in-depth discussion about canning and preserving, as well as local food and food security issues. This will be a great way to learn new skills or brush up old ones, or just connect with the local food and food security movements! We will be canning delicious roasted apple sauce using apples from one of our local farmers.
https://westendfood.coop/civicrm/event/info?reset=1&id=213

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Guerrilla Resumes - What You Need Now
How I learned to love career search and resume writing

Saturday, May 4 @ 1 to 3 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (near Bloor and Bathurst)

To university students and young people especially, the daily news appears pretty depressing and dire - jobs are scarce, economy is tanking, offshoring is king, too many graduates, unneeded qualifications, etc.  Without minimizing the challenge, how do you equip yourself mentally, emotionally and strategically to tackle what seems too big to handle? Difficult times call for creative thinking and unconventional tools. Get your resume to get you the interview and help control the conversation.  Guaranteed to be fun and eye-opening even in a dark time.  p.s. bring your latest resume.
http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-05-04/Guerrilla_Resumes_-_What_You_Need_Now.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Reportback on Ecosocialism Conference

Saturday, May 4 @ 6:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
Free

Report back on recent Ecosocialism conference held in New York. Attending were Abbie Bakan, professor at Queens' University, and John Riddell, author and researcher. Followed by Q&A and discussion.  A coffeehouse of Greater Toronto Workers' Assembly.
http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-05-04/Ecosocialism.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Friendly Spike Theatre presents:
The Walls are Alive with the Sounds of Mad People

Sun. May 5, noon
SW corner Queen and John
Free, approx. 70 min.
A theatrical historical tour of the patient built wall standing on the grounds of CAMH. Part of Mad People's History, and Jane's Walk.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Holistic Health Fair 2013

Sunday, May 5, 1 - 7 p.m.
25 Cecil St, Steelworkers Hall (Spadina and College)
Free

Join us for an amazing and unique event organized by Lunae Healing Arts, where you will find an opportunity to connect with Alternative Health Therapists, resources, vendors and fun. Come to learn more about how to keep your body, mind and emotions in balance and healthy through these though times. This Fair features: Lunae Jewels Catwalk Spring 2013 Edition (with live models) from 3 to 5pm, ongoing Yoga Demos, Holistic Healing Sessions, Alternative products sale, delicious vegetarian food and live music. Come with your family and friends and explore different ways of keeping healthy while having fun, creating community and meeting other people that are happy to share their unique holistic healing tools and meaninful work. Educate yourself and get involved in knowing yourself holistically. Be part of building a strong family, community and a better planet.

Contact: Tania Borja, Lunae Healing Arts Creative Director (647) 522-66-12 or www.lunaehealingarts.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Pickering Lands - A Vision of Fresh Local Food for Toronto

Monday May 6, 7 – 9 p.m.
Parlour Room of the St. Matthews Church, located at St. Clair W. & Rushton

Join us for a presentation of a proposed vision for the Pickering Lands. In 1972, Canada's federal government expropriated 18,600 acres of the richest farmland in Canada for an airport that never got built. It is currently being leased out for industrial farming, but many have a different vision for the Pickering Lands. Come to this special Green Neighbours meeting to hear Bill Lishman present the vision: that these precious lands become a zone for small-scale, sustainably operate farms serving the city of Toronto. Help kick start a movement to make this vision a reality!

Video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwHJ5mH3mg&feature=em-share_video_user

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

FreeScool Lecture
with Sydney White, Studies in Propaganda
Corporate Ethics -- An Oxymoron:  Mutated food, poison water and air, chem trails, vaccines, EMF's and nanotechnology.  How to survive.

Monday, May 6 from 6-8pm
Room 161, 15 King's College Circle, University College

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SolarShare Community Bonds
With TREC SolarShare Co-operative

Tuesday, May 7, 6 – 7 p.m.
401 Richmond St W , Suite 408 (at Spadina)

Join us for a conversation about community based solar investment. Find out how easy it is to participate in community solar power projects across Ontario by becoming a member of the SolarShare Co-operative and investing in a Community Solar Bond.
	• As a member you will have a vote in the co-operative and be a part of an exciting new community
	• Your $1000 bonds will earn you a 5% return annually for a 5 year term
	• Your participation will support a growing green energy economy in Ontario and help to create local renewable energy jobs, reduce greenhouse gas emissions, and help to democratize the province's energy system
If you are interested in community power co-ops, local solar PV, or impact investment opportunities, share your passion with us.
Refreshments will be served. This is a zero-waste event so please bring your own travel mug.
www.solarbonds.ca
http://www.eventbrite.com/event/5813226517#

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Couchiching Institute on Public Affairs Toronto Conversations Present:
Truth and Reconciliation: How Do We Make It Work?
With Bob Watts

Tuesday, May 7, 6 p.m.
Toronto Baha'i Centre, 288 Bloor Street West (Entrace is off Huron Street)
Free (Light snacks will be served)
RSVP: couch at couchichinginstitute.ca or call 416-494-1440 Ext. 225

To many observers, the Canadian state has inflicted a range of systemic abuses on Aboriginal communities. Indian Residential Schools are a part of our shared history, but it's still a history unfamiliar to many. The Truth and Reconciliation Commission is part-way through a five-year mandate to document that history and to set the stage for healing and repairing the relationship between Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal communities. The Couchiching Conversations welcomes Bob Watts to speak about the critical work currently underway with the Commission. Discussion will include how do we make that apology manifest, how do we make it work in terms of policy, in terms of regulations, in terms of legislation, and how do we breathe life into reconciling the Aboriginal and non-Aboriginal relationship?
www.couchichinginstitute.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Spring Detox: Salts, Scrubs, Oils and Masks

Wednesday, May 8, 7 - 8:30 pm
Karma Food Cooperative, 739 Palmerston Ave
Register - Free (donations accepted) call 416-534-1470

Smell, feel, touch and learn about naturally detoxifying ingredients and how to make fresh, chemical-free products for yourself and your family.
Map and directions here: http://www.karmacoop.org/contact-us/
Child friendly - Please RSVP for each child.
Open and FREE to all - Coop Members and the Karma Coop Curious!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Philosophy lecture series
A Free University event

Academic lectures on different aspects of animal rights
Every Thursday evening (until June), 7:10 p.m.
@ 5 Bancroft Ave. Rm B-149 (U of T, Earth Sciences building)
Also, free animal rights related film, same room, Thurs. 5:10 pm.

The blog for the course is http://animalrightsacademy.com/
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/409385955794789/
Previous lectures are available on podcast and video.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ChocoSol Chocolate Workshop

Friday, May 10, 6 p.m.
225 Geary Avenue (just one block north of Dupont at Dufferin)

Our two hour sustainable, artisanal chocolate workshops provide interactive bean to bar chocolate education (history, technique, ingredients, how our chocolate is made); the opportunity to taste and enjoy raw ingredients, eating chocolate, and drinking chocolate; and the opportunity to purchase ChocoSol products. The workshop also includes a facility tour, including touring our Choco-Soil department. ChocoSol chocolate is also an open invitation to all, as our cacao is sourced via direct trade from farmers in Southern Mexico, is organically grown, and is free from child slavery. Our chocolate is made without dairy, gluten, soy and nuts, and is also vegan.

We’re offering a discounted price of $25 per person (cash please)
To reserve your spot, please email info at chocosoltraders.com
www.ChocoSolTraders.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bells on Bloor

Sat. May 11, noon
High Park and cycle en masse to Queen's Park

Bloor St. is the best east/west choice for cyclists in the west end of Toronto. It's flat, direct, long and free of streetcar tracks. The last City Council agreed to a full Environmental Assessment (EA) of a bikeway for the entire 21 km of the Bloor/Danforth subway, but the current Council shelved it.  In 2013, the city will re-pave Bloor between Dundas W. and Ossington. We want to see safe passageway for 2-wheelers, and that will likely mean bicycle lanes. Join us, and help make this vision a reality! Join the 6th Annual Bells on Bloor Ride, advocating for bike lanes on Bloor, and call your City Councillor too!

https://www.facebook.com/Bellsonbloor
http://bellsonbloor.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Cycle and Sole: group rides, group walks, and a rally for safer streets

Sat. May 11, 2 p.m.
Queen's Park, 2 p.m. for a rally to demand action

Toronto is falling behind when it comes to cycling and pedestrian infrastructure. Show your support for bike lanes, lower speed limits, and safer streets.
Group rides include Bells on Bloor, Bells on Yonge and Bells on Danforth. Group walks organized by Walk Toronto.
Learn more about each event here: http://cycleandsole.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Living Downstream
WHEN's Spring Film Series: Get Your Green On!

Saturday May 11, 7 p.m.
CSI, 215 Spadina Ave., Suite 120 (Queen and Spadina)
PYWC (pay-what-you-can).

Living Downstream is based on the acclaimed book by ecologist and cancer survivor Sandra Steingraber, Ph.D.   This poetic film follows Sandra during one pivotal year as she travels across North America, working to break the silence about cancer and its environmental links. After a routine cancer screening, Sandra receives some worrying results and is thrust into a period of medical uncertainty. Thus, we begin two journeys with Sandra: her private struggles with cancer and her public quest to bring attention to the urgent human rights issue of cancer prevention.
For more information, call 416-928-0880  http://www.womenshealthyenvironments.ca/events/living-downstream/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Love Your Mother
It's Mother's Day
Sunday May 12

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

FreeScool Lecture
with Sydney White, Studies in Propaganda
Resource wars and HAARP.  The Myth of Peak Oil.  General Smedley Butler was right.  "War is a Racket".  The Report from Iron Mountain.

Monday, May 13 from 6-8pm
For U of T location call 416-787-0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Marketing for Hippies - How to Grow Your Green & Holistic Business
with Tad Hargrave (from Edmonton)
Tues. May 14, 6:30 - 9:30 p.m.

A three hour workshop where you can learn the marketing secrets of North America's most successful green, holistic, community-minded entrepreneurs attract more of the clients you want (without ever sacrificing your integrity or spending a fortune).

For more info and to get your tickets: http://marketingforhippiestoronto.eventbrite.com/  (facebook rsvp's do not count)
https://www.facebook.com/events/151042035072978/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride of Silence

Wed. May 15  - Meet at 6, ride at 6:30 pm.
Bloor and Spadina. Ride will end at City Hall

The annual Toronto Ride of Silence will be in May 15, at the same time as other such rides all around the world. This is the tenth anniversary of this event. These rides are to remember all those who have died while riding a bicycle.
https://www.facebook.com/events/233739300084546/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Animal Rights Philosophy lecture series
A Free University event

Academic lectures on different aspects of animal rights
Every Thursday evening (until June), 7:10 p.m.
@ 5 Bancroft Ave. Rm B-149 (U of T, Earth Sciences building)
Also, free animal rights related film, same room, Thurs. 5:10 pm.

The blog for the course is http://animalrightsacademy.com/
On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/409385955794789/
Previous lectures are available on podcast and video.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Herman’s House
A compelling doc about an artist who won’t give up the dreams of America’s longest-serving solitary confinement prisoner, Black Panther Herman Wallace.

Thur. May 16, 8 p.m.
OISE, Rm. 5150, 252 Bloor W. (St. George subway)
www.cinemapolitica.org/uoft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

SPEAKout Poetry - Open Mike

Friday, May 17 @ 7:30 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)

If you're new to the poetry scene this is a great opportunity to see what it's all about! If you're a seasoned artist, why not try your new piece with the crowd?  This is not a competition - we're just trying to provide the platform for talent to speak out!  Only $5 at the door, whether you choose to perform or watch talented poets spit out some awesome stuff!  SPEAKout Poetry highlights points of overlap in our communities through the art of Spoken Word.
http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-05-17/SPEAKout_Poetry.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Connect Beauty

Wednesday May 22, 7 p.m.
Revival Bar, 783 College Street

Just in time for the new season, the 3rd annual Connect Beauty fashion event will celebrate the glamorous, natural and eco-conscious trends of 2013. This eco-chic fashion and beauty show is hosted by WHEN and Fashion Takes Action (FTA).
Get your tickets now. http://www.womenshealthyenvironments.ca/events/connect-to-beauty/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Tree Tenders Volunteer Training

May 22, 23, 25 & 29
Northern District Library, 40 Orchard View Blvd. (Yonge & Eglinton)

This multi-day course is designed for individuals who want to gain tree-related knowledge and skills.
Registration required. $70+HST (includes manual)
http://www.yourleaf.org/event/2013-05-22/tree-tenders-volunteer-training-toronto

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Marketing for Hippies - Helping conscious, green and local businesses to grow
With Tad Hargrave - from Edmonton
May 23 - 26

I am leading my first weekend workshop in Toronto in a few years.  If you've wanted to attend one of my workshops for the past while, or know someone who should, here's your chance. When you attend you get:
	• a sizeable binder full of marketing wisdom
	• three and a half days of my personal attention on your marketing
	• the insights and reflections of 29 other inspiring locals
	• a chance to attend it all for whatever you want to pay (at the very end, with no pressure, tricks or funny business) + a $100 deposit to secure your space.

For more info and to sign up: http://theradicalbusinessintensive.yolasite.com/
To spread the word on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/events/441110575970305/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Film: Mountains That Take Wing: Angela Davis & Yuri Kochiyama

Thursday, May 23 @ 7:30 pm (film at 8:00 pm)
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)

Thirteen years, two inspiring women, both radical activists, one conversation.  Mountains That Take Wing (2009) puts iconic African American scholar-activist Angela Davis in conversation with Yuri Kochiyama, revered grassroots community activist, confidant of Malcolm X and 2005 Nobel Peace Prize nominee. Filmed in 1996 and 2008, when Kochiyama was 88 years old, these longtime friends discuss their shared experience as political prisoners and their enduring passion for social justice. They reflect upon topics Jim Crow laws, Japanese American internment camps, Civil Rights, anti-war, women's and gay liberation movements to campaigns for political prisons and prison reform.  Winner of several awards.
http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-05-23/Mountains_That_Take_Wing_Angela_Davis_Yuri_Kochiyama.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Unconscious No More Indigenous Wisdom & Depth Psychology in Dialogue

Saturday, May 25 @ 1:00 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)

What is the medicine needed for the healing of the world soul?  Many people today understand the necessity of embodying a transformational consciousness - one which honours greater balance and wholeness within the human psyche through its connection to the spirit that moves through all life on the planet.  Illuminating insights about the connections between Indigenous spiritual traditions and the Jungian worldview. In addition, they will offer a powerful, traditional ceremony which offers healing to the fractured human spirit. A rare opportunity to hear the teachings and perspectives of extraordinary female spiritual and psychological leaders grounded in Indigenous wisdom and a deep commitment to the sacred feminine principle of life.
http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-05-25/Unconscious_No_More.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

March Against Monsanto

Sat. May 25, 2 p.m.
City Hall (Queen and Bay)

Research studies have shown that Monsanto’s genetically-modified foods can lead to serious health conditions such as the development of cancer tumors, infertility and birth defects. What are solutions we advocate?
- Labeling of GMOs so that consumers can make informed decisions.
- Repealing relevant provisions of the US's "Monsanto Protection Act."
- Calling for further scientific research on the health effects of GMOs.
- Holding Monsanto-supporting politicians accountable through direct communication, grassroots journalism, social media, etc.
- Continuing to inform the public about Monsanto's secrets.

We will not stand for cronyism. We will not stand for poison. That’s why we March Against Monsanto.
https://www.facebook.com/events/466960883376483/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ride for Renewables
Ride en masse from Pickering to Darlington Nuclear stations for a renewable future!

Sun. May 26

Love cycling? Love green energy? Break out your bicycles and rally together with Greenpeace volunteers, concerned citizens, cycling enthusiasts and others who want a green energy future for Ontario. This 45km Ride for Renewables from Pickering nuclear station to Darlington nuclear station couldn’t come at a more urgent time. Our government has told Ontario Power Generation (OPG) to build new nuclear reactors at Darlington nuclear station instead of investing in renewable energy and conservation.  It’s also looking to rebuild the aging reactors at Darlington. That’s wrong. A safe, clean, affordable and innovate green energy future is ready to flourish in Ontario; it just needs a little room to grow. So please join us. Together, we can remove the stranglehold that nuclear industry has on Ontario’s energy system.

We’re organizing travel from downtown Toronto, lunch and rides back to Toronto, but we need you to RSVP.
http://www.riderenew.ca/
http://www.greenpeace.org/canada/en/Blog/on-may-26th-join-the-ride-for-renewables/blog/44595/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

FreeScool Lecture
with Sydney White, Studies in Propaganda
Mass Mind Control:  Big Pharma attacks the children - Ritalin and Prozac. The history of MK Ultra experiments in Canada.  Were they really ended?

Monday, May 27 from 6-8pm
For U of T location call 416-787-0592

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Month
kicks off on Monday, May 27th and continues until the end of June with hundreds of interesting and fun things to do, including rides, guided bike tours, festivals, art shows, film screenings, and more.
http://bikemonth2013.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Complete Streets Forum - 6th annual active transportation conference
Mon. May 27 at the Hyatt Regency

The Share the Road Cycling Coalition Ontario Bike Summit 2013 will take place on May 28-29th at the same location.
We are pleased to offer joint registration for both conferences at a discounted rate.
http://tcat.ca/completestreetsforum2013
http://www.sharetheroad.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike to Work Day
Mon. May 27, 7 a.m.

Commuters from around the City meet to ride together from start points and converge at Yonge and Bloor for 7:30a.m. City start points are staffed with ride coordinators and a Police escort to a celebration and pancake breakfast at Nathan Phillips Square. Riders will receive a Bike Month t-shirt as well as complimentary breakfast at City Hall (while supplies last). This event is organized by the City of Toronto and Cycle Toronto.
http://www.bikemonth2013.ca/events/31?location=toronto&

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Symphony of the Soil

Wed. May 28, 7pm
Royal Theatre, 608 College St
Tickets at the door: $10

Drawing from ancient knowledge and cutting edge science, Symphony of the Soil is an artistic exploration of the miraculous substance of soil. The film examines our human relationship with soil, the use and misuse of soil in agriculture, deforestation and development. Filmed on four continents, featuring esteemed scientists and working farmers and ranchers, this film is an intriguing presentation that highlights the possibilities of healthy soil creating healthy plants creating healthy humans living on a healthy planet.
www.symphonyofthesoil.com
Presented by the Toronto Farmers' Market Network

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Weather Underground

In October 1969 hundreds of people clad in football helmets and wielding lead pipes marched through an upscale Chicago shopping district pummeling cars and smashing shop windows. This was the first demonstration of the Weather Underground’s “Days of Rage.”

Thur. May 30, 8 p.m.
OISE, Rm. 5150, 252 Bloor W. (St. George subway)
www.cinemapolitica.org/uoft

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ChocoSol Chocolate Workshop

Friday, May 31 at 6 PM

To reserve your spot, please email info at chocosoltraders.com
www.ChocoSolTraders.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

MARXISM 2013 - Revolution in our time

May 31-June 2 @ Ryerson University
http://marxism2013.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Furnished room for rent

may 1st to aug 31st-or longer - in creative environment, with two others
-$625 + internet
-4th fl wkup, great kitchen space for lovers of wholesome good food!
-spiritual, environmentally consciousness appreciated and practiced!
-please call and inquire
pei 416.732.8965

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in