T.O. Greenspiration Events: Wenches with Wrenches

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Jul 14 21:35:53 EDT 2013

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend!
-a

---------------------------------------

Please vote for us!

I've been nominated in the Best Activist category alongside other kick-ass enviros. What an honour! Though I'd rather it not be a competition, you can vote here:  http://nowtoronto.com/fbApps/bestof/nominees.cfm?category=159&subcategory=1509

If you think the work of the Ontario Clean Air Alliance is super exceptional – we're behind ON's coal phase-out after all, and now we're taking on the nuclear industry in Ontario – please vote for us as  Best Enviro Group in NOW Mag here: http://nowtoronto.com/fbApps/bestof/nominees.cfm?category=159&subcategory=1515

Thank you!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sign Olivia Chow’s Petition Against Island Airport Expansion
http://www.oliviachow.ca/action-centre/sign-the-petition-against-island-airport-expansion/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Enter the VOW 4 PEACE Contest
We want to hear from women and girls of all ages from across Canada to tell us why peace is important to you and how you intend to build a sustainable culture of peace.
http://vowpeace.org/i-vow-4-peace-contest/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Peace Leadership Summer Camps
Aug. 27 - 30 in Georgian Bay for young women ages 15 - 35. Cost is on a sliding scale of $100 to $200, subsidies available.
http://vowpeace.org/events/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Kew Beach Eco-Leadership Camp
A fun and educational day camp for children age 9-13. Late August. Toronto.
http://kewbeachecocamp.wordpress.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

This is what climate change looks like

Toronto didn't just break new rainfall records last Monday, it shattered them. If I'm reading the Environment Canada statistics properly, there was almost three times as much rain in Toronto last Mon. as there has ever been over the course of a single day. There was actually more rain yesterday than had ever been recorded over the course of the entire month of July.
It is time that all politicians were asked the question: What is your plan to help us phase out oil, coal and gas and ramp up renewable energy, efficiency and conservation?

Sign the petition: http://www.avaaz.org/en/petition/This_is_what_climate_change_looks_like/?kejchab

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Food Forward's Food Idol Awards

Celebrate outstanding contributions by food actionists – among our volunteers, community members, projects, and businesses – focused on healthy food and communities that are inclusive, diverse, ethical, local, and resilient.  New this year: $1,000 Food Sprouts Grant for advancing food justice. Nominate by July 23 and spread the word.

http://pushfoodforward.com/2013awards

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

T.O.’s EcoChase – Race. Search. Strategize.

Sat. September 14, 11 a.m. – 3 p.m.
Sign up a team of 4 now.

www.ecochase.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Dance Our Way Home Drop-In for Women

Monday July 15, 7:30 - 9pm
80 Gladstone Studio (just North of Queen Street West)
Sliding Scale $10-$30

Moving Medicine for the Female Body Mind and Spirit with Tracey TieF. In this session, we will co create and experience ourselves motivated and activated to restore a clean healthy planet for ourselves and future generations.

http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/1732

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Where Are You Go
Free screening

Tuesday, July 16, 6:15 pm
Runnymede Public Library, 2178 Bloor St. W.

Cycling in Toronto this summer? Join us for this film about four months on a bicycle from Cairo to Cape Town. This is not your typical bike jaunt, nor your typical African safari. En route with the Tour d'Afrique, the world's longest bicycle race and expedition, the Zenga brothers (Canada) and Brian Vernor (U.S.) make light of this physically daunting trip by sharing a universal love of the bicycle with Africa's roadside mechanics, sporting racers, and innumerable curious strangers. Traveling more than 110 km/day, 50 racers and expedition riders experienced the boundless Nubian desert of Sudan, the great majesty of Victoria Falls, and finally the cold rush of the Atlantic Ocean. Where Are You Go captures the 12000 km expedition as a constant adventure full of playfulness and mysterious beauty, and is a testament to the endurance of human curiosity. We will raffle off a copy of the book  Celebrating Ten Years of the Tour d'Afrique Bicycle Race and Expedition. Come on down!

For more info: www.green13toronto.org
With special thanks to Tour d'Afrique  www.tourdafrique.com , Runnymede Public Library, and Green 13!

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Energy Drinks: your sustainable energy mixer

Tuesday July 16, 5:30 pm onward
OverDraught Irish Pub, 156 Front St. W., Toronto, ON
Register: http://go.ontario-sea.org/onenergydrinks-july
Discount Code: OED2013-OCAA

Ontario Energy Drinks is the Ontario Sustainable Energy Association's always popular networking mixer for the entire sustainable energy sector. Meet and develop business with representatives of all industries and technologies involved in sustainable energy and conservation in Ontario and beyond.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Democracy Salon

Wednesday July 17, 6 – 7:30 p.m.
The 519 Community Centre, 519 Church St. (near Wellesley)

1.        Update on Connection with Leadnow on Cooperation for Canada
2.        Letter sent to Justin Trudeau on Electoral Alliance & Proportional Representation
3.        Cooperation for Canada Conference September 27, 2013
4.        Introduction to newly joined group & Outreach to other groups on Cooperation and Proportional Representation

Come support us and brainstorm strategies to reclaim our democracy in Canada!
Subscribe to our newsletter www.electoralalliance.ca
Sign our declaration at http://www.electoralalliance.ca/content/electoral-alliance-declaration
Sign the Community Resolution http://www.electoralalliance.ca/webform/community-resolution

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Housing Stabilization Fund Mass Application Clinic, Meal, and Rally
Raise the Rates! Restore the Community Start- Up Benefit!

Wednesday, July 17, 11 a.m.
David Pecaut Square (behind Metro Hall - south of King, east of John St.)

The Ontario government cut the Community Start-Up and Maintenance Benefit (CSUMB) at the end of 2012. CSUMB was a provincial benefit that helped people on social assistance to get and retain housing. For 2013, a patchwork of inadequate municipal programs has been set up to replace the CSUMB. In Toronto, the program is called the Housing Stabilization Fund (HSF). By the City’s own admission, the HSF has been inaccessible for many who need it, both because the City has failed to tell people how they can receive the benefit, and that the eligibility criteria to receive the fund have been too strict.  In response to this situation, anti-poverty groups have organized clinics where people are assisted in applying for the HSF. These clinics have been followed by group actions where delegations of people in need of the benefit have confronted the bureaucrats in charge of the program collectively. In this way people have won benefits they need, and we have put pressure of the City to expand their eligibility criteria for the benefit.

On July 17th we plan to continue this work but on a larger scale with a mass application clinic where people can get help on the spot in applying for the HSF. The clinic will include a meal and rally to demand the restoration of CSUMB and a raise in social assistance rates. Last year we fought back against the cut to CSUMB and through determined community mobilizations across the province we forced $42 million out of the government in money that they intended to cut. We know that community action works - let's continue to push for the full restoration of Community Start-Up and Maintenance Benefit on July 17th!

Organized by: Ontario Coalition Against Poverty, Parkdale Against Poverty, Parkdale Community Legal Services, and more!
http://ocap.ca/node/1083
https://www.facebook.com/events/209445809209128/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Morningside/Highland Creek Tree Tour

Wednesday, July 17, 6 - 8 p.m.
East Scarborough Storefront, 4040 Lawrence Ave E
Cost:  $5 suggested donation

Join LEAF (Local Enhancement & Appreciation of Forests), Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA) and local volunteer group Highland Creek Green Team on a guided walk of the tree canopy along Highland Creek in Morningside Park. As we explore this quiet valley and its interesting waterway, learn about the history of the valley, the benefits our urban trees provide, as well as free and subsidized planting programs to help residents take action at home. Tour Leaders: Andrea Bake, LEAF Arborist and Greg Johnston, Toronto and Region Conservation (TRCA)

http://www.yourleaf.org/event/2013-07-17/morningsidehighland-creek-tree-tour

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Wenches with Wrenches

Women only workshops on alternating Wednesdays from 6:30 to 9:30 pm
Next one Wed. July 17
Community Bicycle Network, 761 Queen Street West Unit 101
$20 for members and $30 for non-members (memberships are $20)

Wenches with Wrenches is an original CBN program offering bike repairs for women by women in downtown Toronto. Launched in 2002, the objective is to make basic bicycle repair skills accessible to women who can then share their knowledge and their confidence with others in the community. Wenches with Wrenches brings women together in a safe, non-competitive and friendly learning environment. The workshops are run by women for women because many times, women are just more comfortable learning from other women.

http://www.communitybicyclenetwork.org/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ChocoSol Jaguar Chocolate Tasting and Education

Wednesday, July 17 from 6:30 to 9 PM
ChocoSol, 225 Geary

Join ChocoSol’s Founder (Michael Sacco) and Lead Chocolatier (Chrystal Porter) for a tasting and exploration of the threads that connect this milleneria indigenous food to the challenges and the present moment in the 21st Century. Jaguar cacao, ye li, patastle, pataxtle, theobromae bicoloris: these are some of the English, Chinanteco, Nahuatl, and Linnean names for a cacao seed that grows in the ancient forest gardens. Not only are the forest gardens a habitat for fauna like the jaguar, they provide ways for indigenous communities to create safety belts of communal use around natural areas. This is beyond conservation, and is rooted in millennia of ecological and spiritual stewardship. Today, ChocoSol is proud to be part of a small cadre of chocolatiers, chefs, farmers, and artisans participating in the regeneration of the jaguar cacao, both through seedling planting and intercultural encounter, dialogue, and exchange, as well as through recipe development and intercultural learning.

$25 person (cash please). A minimum of 10 people is needed. Maximum 25.
Attendees also have the opportunity to purchase jaguar chocolate at a reduced price.
To reserve your spot, please email info at chocosoltraders.com
Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/148005715397034/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

United Fronts and Left Caucuses

Thursday, July 18 @ 7 pm
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markmham (near Bloor and Bathurst)

What is the role of the GTWA in other organizations? How should we conduct ourselves? How can non-sectarian anti-capitalists shift the politics leftward in broader struggles and organizations?  Meeting is open to all.

http://beitzatoun.org/cms/events/view/13-07-18/United_Fronts_and_Left_Caucuses.aspx

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Lunch and Learn: Saving the CBC: Balancing Profit and Public Service

Thursday July 18, noon - 1:30 pm
Gardiner Museum, 111 Queen's Park
$25 (includes brown bag lunch)

Do we want a public broadcaster? Wade Rowland¹s Saving the CBC: Balancing Profit and Public Service (Linda Leith Publishing) is a trenchant analysis of the threat to our national broadcaster and a solution for radical change. After years of chronic underfunding, the Harper government leveled $115 million budget cut at the CBC in 2012. Now the CBC faces a new fiscal crisis - one that signals the end of public broadcasting as we know it in Canada. As ³the mother corp² faces the potential loss of broadcast rights for Hockey Night in Canada, veteran broadcaster and media strategist Wade Rowland argues we have less than two years to find a way to save CBC/Radio-Canada: the cornerstone of Canadian culture and an institution many regard as the glue that holds the country together. It has become clear that if Canada is to retain a public broadcaster worthy of the name, the CBC will have to be radically reformed, and soon.

http://www.gardinermuseum.on.ca/event/lunch-and-learn-saving-the-cbc

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The innocent behind bars - A day in the life of a remand prisoner

Thur. July 18, 12:30 – 2 pm
CSI, 215 Spadina Ave, Suite 210

For those who have never been inside a jail or in conflict with the law, prisons are hidden institutions, often shrouded in myth or sensationalized in the media. The reality in Ontario’s provincial prisons is quite stark: the large majority of prisoners are legally innocent – that is, still awaiting trial and without any determination of their guilt – and the overcrowded conditions inside are becoming increasingly unsafe. Join the CCLA and the John Howards Society of Ontario for a presentation, using real photographs of living spaces in Ontario prisons, that aims to shed light on what life is really like for the innocent behind prison walls.

http://ccla.org/events/conversations/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transition Towns Overview Meeting for NEW MEMBERS & New Project Introduction

Thursday, 18 July, 7 pm – 9 pm. Prompt start so please arrive on time!
Metro Hall, Room 309, 55 John Street (at King)

It is high time we held an all-members meeting again - and so we are! Specifically, we want to invite our NEW MEMBERS to join us for a FREE presentation on what Transition Towns (TT) and Transition Toronto (TTo) are actually about, but also introduce a new project and a call to action to all of you. If you have never attended an overview on TT/TTo, then this meeting is for YOU!   (If you attended one of our previous presentations to TTo or another group, this will be a repeat.) Meet our steering committee and hear a FREE presentation by our co-founders, Andrew Knox and Martina Rowley, with a brief overview of the “Transition Handbook” - the underlying guideline for all transition towns - and some examples of TTo’s projects and initiatives, followed by a Q&A with all.

transitiontoronto at gmail.com
http://transitiontoronto.ning.com/?xg_source=msg_mes_network

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

GEET Clean Engine Retrofit

Thur. / Fri. / Sat. July 18 - 20

Build your own GEET approved engine. A SOLUTION to pollution and our energy needs is here. The GEET Fuel Processor  (GFP) is an on-board compact plasma fuel refinery that renders just about any liquid into usable and highly volatile fuel by cultivating electro-magnetic and other energy fields.  And, YES! It is healthy for you and your engine too! The GFP-retrofitted engine requires only a fraction of the fuel, as the non-GFP-retrofitted engine, to pull the same load for the same duration of time. The exhaust from GFP-retrofitted engines reduces pollution up to 100% and adds

https://www.facebook.com/events/150777005098425/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

ChocoSol Mayan Night Market

Friday, July ,  6 p.m. to midnight
at ChocoSol, 225 Geary

Inventory clearance ~ Moving sale ~ Eco-barn raising in support of our new location
Spices ~ Chocolate ~ Artifacts ~ Beats ~ Bike blender

Facebook event: https://www.facebook.com/events/198022743690846/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

A celebration of the life of Dr Henry Morgentaler

Friday July 19, 7 pm
The Great Hall, Hart House, 7 Hart House Circle, University of Toronto

Join us for a celebration of Morgentaler's life and the fight for reproductive rights in Canada. It will also be a great opportunity to organize to defend and advance those interests in the years to come.
Organized by the Ontario Coalition for Abortion Clinics

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Unveiling of Memorial for People Who Have Died by Drugs

Fri. July 19, 11 a.m.
955 Queen E. (at Carlaw)

Counterfit's memorial for people who use drugs was established to acknowledge the high number of deaths due to the war on drug users. The project will create a permanent outdoor monument to the lives of people who use drugs who died in this community. It also aims to strengthen our resolve to end the war on people who use drugs and its devastating impact on our friends and families.

https://www.facebook.com/noharmcanada
http://www.canadianharmreduction.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Annual General Meeting of Psychiatric Survivor Archives Toronto
PSAT - Psychiatric Survivor Archives of Toronto

Saturday July 20, 1 - 4 p.m.
519 Church Street, Community Centre, Room 106 (1st Floor)

Hear about past activities! Decide future directions! Debate bylaws! Elect board members for the year ahead! Make history! Everyone is welcome!
Wheelchair Accessible
RSVP friendlyspike at primus.ca
Light Refreshments

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in