T.O. Greenspiration Events: Solidarity

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Sep 29 17:46:00 EDT 2013

T.O. Greenspiration Events

Pass this onto a friend!
-a

---------------------------------------

We Are Terrifyingly Close to the Climate's 'Point of No Return'
Should fossil fuel use continue on its current trajectory, the future for life on planet Earth is bleak.
http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2013/09/we-are-terrifyingly-close-to-the-climates-point-of-no-return/280076/
---
UN: Greenland Ice Melting Six Times Faster Than Previous Decades
7 min. video story on Real News Network
http://therealnews.com/t2/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=31&Itemid=74&jumival=10798

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Solidarity for Climate Fast
In the Fall of 2012, ClimateFast , hungry for climate leadership, hungry for climate justice, held a successful campaign on Parliament Hill to raise awareness and promote action by our politicians on the climate crisis. Hundreds of people wrote letters, and 103 MPs and 13 senators signed a pledge for climate action.
ClimateFast is holding our second fast and vigil on Parliament Hill (Sept 21 to Oct 2, 2013). We are hungry for climate leadership! Our main ask is for you to send a letter to your MP, from now to October 2nd, expressing your deep concern for urgent, ambitious action on the climate crisis. Sample letters are provided on our site. You are also invited to fast and/or hold vigil in solidarity with climate fasters, to organize letter writing sessions, and to donate to the campaign. Our goals:
• End fossil fuel subsidies
• Put a price on carbon
• Support the development of a renewable energy plan for Canada
www.climatefast.ca   416-731-6605

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Public Hearing on Low and Intermediate Level Radioactive Waste Dump
September 16 through October 12, Kincardine and Port Elgin, ON.
These hearings will determine the future of having radioactive waste permanently buried in Kincardine, next to Lake Huron.
Watch the live webcast here. http://jrp.canadacast.ca/
See the schedule here. http://saveoursaugeenshores.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/07/DGR-Public-Hearing-Schedule.pdf
Watch previous presentations or read transcripts here: http://www.nuclearsafety.gc.ca/eng/commission/joint_review_panel/webcast/index.cfm

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing:
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Premier Wynne: Close the Pickering Nuclear Station
Please sign the petition and watch my video - thank you!
http://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/premier-kathleen-wynne-close-the-pickering-nuclear-station#share

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Lanes on Bloor!
Watch the 5 min. video calling for a pilot project.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m5wCBNZfh0I

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Beyond Green Youth Summit
Oct. 25 – 27, at the U of T
Get your tickets today for Canada’s largest environmental youth summit. Over 1,000 young innovators, students and activists (aged 14 to 30), as well as 150 educators are coming together for the first time at the University of Toronto to collaborate and take action for the future health of our planet. Beyond Green explores environmental issues from different angles in a weekend of unique workshops, talks and performances! The summit provides the opportunity to network with top environmental organizations and influencers, connect with young environmental leaders and participate in hands-on sessions and speakers panels.
http://beyondgreen13.eventbrite.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ontario Youth Bike Summit
Do you know any high school students in your community who are interested in learning more about cycling, and building a more bicycle-friendly Ontario?
Share the Road is pleased to be hosting Ontario’s first Youth Bike Summit. We are looking for 120 high school students and 80 adults to join us in Toronto October 6 & 7 to make Ontario a more bike-friendly place for youth.  Sessions will focus on engagement, advocacy, encouragement and, most importantly, on the joy of riding a bike!
Registration is currently open, and is only $35 for youth and $150 for adults, which includes accommodations for Sunday night at the University of Toronto School downtown, travel to and entry into Joyride 150, all meals and access to some amazing, inspirational workshops and speakers!
Limited travel subsidies are available, so please contact  jamie at sharetheroad.ca for more details, and be sure to click here for all the latest updates and to register online!http://youthcycleon.weebly.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Support Conservation Photography with a click to vote
Ryan Bolton is up for a people’s choice award and is asking for your vote.  See his amazing video and still photography here.  Last day to vote is September 30th.  No need to register, just scroll to his name, click, and then scroll to the bottom and vote.  Thank you!
The voting page: http://www.shutterstock.com/blog/stories-voting  (just scroll, click, and hit ‘vote’)
Ryan's story: http://vimeo.com/74644610
Ryan's website: http://www.artofconservation.ca and giant anaconda video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MK_emVW4y14 (5 min)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Palestine Film Festival
Sept. 28 - Oct. 4
TIFF Bell Lightbox (350 King W), Art Gallery of Ontario (317 Dundas W), Bloor Hot Docs Cinema (506 Bloor W)
Features, shorts and documentaries plus panel discussions with Palestinian directors and actors.
$7-$10, 10-card pass $75.
http://tpff.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Trans Film Screening Series: The Alt-Education Edition
Monday September 30, Doors at 6 p.m., Event starts at 6:30 p.m.
William Doo Auditorium, 45 Willcocks Street, U of T

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Resiliency: bouncing back from adversity and discovering Happiness
Mon. September 30, 6:30pm - 8:30pm
Centre for Social Innovation - Regent Park, 85 Dundas Street East, room 2
$20
Resiliency is the skill required to keep ahead of life's upsets. Learn techniques to bounce back from adverse situation while maintaining your happiness index. Two facilitators will offer this workshop - Ava Goodman and Margaret Wong.
http://socialinnovation.ca/event/resiliency-bouncing-back-from-adversity-discovering-happiness
For More Information: avagaia at yahoo.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Megaphone choir – Free Tarek and John
Mon. Sept. 30, 11:45 a.m.
Vari Hall, York University
https://www.facebook.com/events/217346981767604/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Images of the Word: How does the way we imagine Jesus interact with our thinking about social issues?
A talk with sculptor Timothy Schmalz
Monday, September 30, 7 pm
Saint Stephen-in-the-Fields, 365 College St. (west of Spadina)
Timothy Schmalz is sculptor of the Homeless Jesus statue, Jesus the Beggar and Jesus the Prisoner  www.timschmalz.com
Part of the Faith, Art, and Activism series. Followed by Compline.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Calling all Red Readers!
The Marxist Mondays Book Club will be starting back up again on Monday, September 30th at 7pm in the Resistance Press Bookroom.
The first book we'll be reading is "Trotsky's Marxism" by Duncan Hallas. This book explores Trotsky's contribution to Marxist thought, including the theory of 'permanent revolution' and the United Front. The text can be found online at: http://www.marxists.org/archive/hallas/works/1979/trotsky/  Copies of the book can also be purchased at Resistance Press Book Room, 427 Bloor Street West, suite #202, Toronto, open most Saturdays from noon-3pm.
For more information call 416-972-6391.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Social Media Savvy - What Are YOU Doing?
Tues. October 1, 5:30 pm - 7 pm
Artists' Health Alliance/ Dancer Transition Resource Centre, 250 The Esplanade Suite 500
$15.00 for DTRC members, $25.00 for non-members
It’s a wired world and it’s more important than ever to stay connected, so come get social media savvy! Over three weeks we’ll start with the basics of social media and show you how to use these powerful tools to connect to your audience and supporters.
http://socialinnovation.ca/event/social-media-savvy-what-are-you-doing
For More Information: artistshealth.com or 416-351-0239

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Greg Pavelich Memorial Public Forum on Education
Tuesday, Oct. 1, 7 p.m.
519 Community Centre – Ballroom, 519 Church St., Toronto
This special event commemorates 10 years since the passing of Greg Pavelich, an out proud gay activist, labour rights supporter and teacher among many other community development roles. To recognize his numerous contributions to the LGBTQ communities, Queer Ontario hosts this Public Forum on Education, a topic Greg was so passionate about. Topics to be Discussed: - Updating Sex Ed. Curriculum - Post-Secondary Education of Professionals (Teachers) on Queer Issues - One School System for Ontario - Implementation of Bills 13 and 33
Panelists:
Michelle Bourgeois (Ontario Rainbow Alliance of the Deaf) Mark Daye (Toronto Centre Candidate, Green Party of Ontario) Gary Kinsman (Queer Liberation and Anti-Capitalist Activist, Academic and Author) J Wallace (Gender Based Violence Prevention Program - TDSB)
Moderator: Nick Mulé (Chairperson, Queer Ontario)

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climate Fast Leafletting
Wed. Oct. 2, 5:30 - 6:30 p.m.
Join us at Queen and John intersection to do some public education on the dangers of climate change and our asks.
In solidarity with the Climate Fast in Ottawa.
www.climatefast.ca   416-731-6605

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Ai Weiwei: Voices Of Freedom
Wed. Oct. 2, 7 p.m.
Art Gallery of ON, 317 Dundas W.
$20, stu $12.
Multimedia event paying tribute to the dissident artist, featuring performances by writers, musicians and visual artists including Wayson Choy and Truth Is.
ago.net.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Practice Of Forgiveness: Questions And Challenges In Pursuit Of Reconciliation And Justice
Wed. Oct. 2, 7 p.m.
Hart House East Common Rm, 7 Hart House Circle, U of T
Panel discussion with Forgiveness Project story coordinator Samantha Lawler, National Assoc of Japanese Canadians president Ken Noma and others.
harthouse.ca.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Embodiment of Innovation: The science of thinking and the wisdom of yoga practice
Wed. October 2, 6 pm - 8:30 pm
Centre for Social Innovation Annex, 720 Bathurst St., Room #4 (3rd Floor)
$35
If you face challenges in your work or life, this workshop will benefit you. There are four possible responses to real challenges: freeze, fight, flight or innovate. Innovating requires flexibility, resiliency, and tolerating ambiguity among many other skills. These skills are also deeply present in any yoga practice. This workshop is a unique weaving of the science of thinking and the wisdom of yoga. Because innovating is not just about how you THINK, it is about how you EXIST in your mind and body. It is intended to give you practical tools for embodying the key skills of innovation because how you treat and approach challenges in your body is how you approach challenges in your work.  No previous yoga experience necessary.
https://embodimentofinnovation.eventbrite.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Lanes on Yonge?
Wed. Oct. 2, 6:30 p.m.
Northern District Library
Toronto needs a safe cycling route along the Yonge Street corridor. Cycle Toronto is hosting a workshop in conjunction with city councillors to consider possible routes either on Yonge or nearby streets all the way from the lake to Steeles. Interested cyclists are invited to participate.
http://cycleto.ca/event/yonge-workshop

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Divesting for a Green Future: Divestment as a tactic for achieving climate justice
Wednesday October 2, 6 - 7:30 p.m.
OISE, Rm 10-200
Toronto350.org, the Toronto chapter of 350.org, will host a workshop discussing the history of divestment campaigns and the recent movement to divest from fossil fuels. The workshop will include a discussion of Toronto350.org’s current divestment campaign at the University of Toronto, as well as the merits and challenges of divestment as a tool for achieving climate justice.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

No Line 9 Action Meeting
Wednesday, October 2, 7 – 9 p.m.
Metro Hall, 55 John Street (at King Street West), room 313A
The Toronto Chapter of the Council of Canadians wants you to help us Stop Line 9. Come hear about Enbridge's proposal to reverse the aging cross-Toronto pipeline (Line 9) to transport Tar Sands bitumen and the growing movement of opposition against it. Our chapter is strongly opposed to this project. We are an intervenor for the National Energy Board (NEB) hearings, along with the Hamilton and Guelph chapters, plus the national Council of Canadians. The York University chapter will also be commenting orally at these hearings in October.  We'll discuss what actions are already being planned, how we can support them, as well as our own chapter's activities. This will be an action-oriented meeting, so come prepared to participate and get involved.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Sustainable Urban Development - Challenges and Opportunities for the Toronto Region
Thursday, Oct. 3, 5:30 - 9 p.m.
U of T Faculty Club, 41 Willcocks Street
By 2050, global population will reach approximately 9 billion and 75% -80% of us will be living in cities. Many global environmental systems are already under severe stress, with human impacts on biodiversity loss, climate change, and changes to the nitrogen cycle already exceeding planetary boundaries. With wealth and innovative capacity, cities are recognized as critical factors in addressing these pressing environmental concerns. This forum will first discuss the progess of the Toronto Region in addressing climate change and other global environmental impacts, relative to other urban regions. It then turns to on-going and future developments in the region, including community plans and wider city building initiatives which offer potential for sustainable urban development. With:
- Christopher Kennedy - "The Global Impact of Cities"
- Daniel Hoornweg - "Toronto's Place in the World - Today and Tomorrow"
- Lisa A. Prime - "Waterfront Toronto - A Model for Urban Sustainable Development"
Hosted by The Centre for Resilience of Critical Infrastructure
http://octobersff-eanrecb.eventbrite.ca/?ref=eanrec&utm_source=eb_email&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=attnews&utm_term=attbtn

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Naked Truth - an animal rights radical at large - Ingrid E. Newkirk, PETA President
Thursday, October 3, 7:30 p.m.
Casa Loma, 1 Austin Terr.
$10 - $50
Listen, learn, and laugh as Ingrid E. Newkirk, PETA's president and top firebrand, puts her spin on the animal rights movement's trajectory.  Controversial, truthful, and always thought-provoking, Ingrid has some  electrifying thoughts to share about animals, our relationship with them,  and how that relationship can and should evolve.  A Q&A session and reception will follow Ingrid's talk.
https://secure.peta.org/site/SPageNavigator/Naked_Truth_Toronto_Homepage.html

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Red Panty Diaries
Thur. Oct. 3, 8 pm.
875 Bloor W.
$15
An evening of menstruation-themed comedy with Heidi Brander, Zabrina Chevanes and others benefits girls in Kenya.
femmeinternational.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Court Support for Audrey Tobias
Thursday, October 3, 10 a.m.
Old City Hall, Queen and Bay
Peace/Anti-Nuclear Activist Audrey Tobias, 89, is scheduled to have a hearing on Oct 3 at 10am regarding her decision to refuse to fill in her census. Audrey refused to fill the census because Lockheed Martin, weapons manufacturer, has been contracted to process the census. We need your support. Please come to Old City Hall and look for her courtroom, even if you can only make it for part of the day.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/01/23/toronto_peace_activist_88_could_go_to_jail_for_refusing_to_fill_out_census.html
https://www.facebook.com/events/590053157727488/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Modern Matriarchal Studies: Indigenous Cultures Across the Globe
Public Lecture by Heide Goettner-Abendroth
Thur. Oct 3, 7-9 p.m.
OISE, 252 Bloor St W, Room 2-211
In this lecture, Heide  will draw on decades of groundbreaking cross-disciplinary research with Indigenous and non-Indigenous scholars of Matriarchies past and present.  She will introduce modern feminist Matriarchal Studies and differentiate it from traditional matriarchal studies. Through examples from many regions she will show that matriarchal societies share gender egalitarian and consensus-based economic, social, political and cultural structures.
Co-sponsored by:  Adult Education and Community Development Program, Centre for Women’s Studies in Education, Indigenous Education Network, Transformative Learning Centre  at OISE/UT and Aboriginal Studies, UT.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Blessing of the Animals on the Feast of St Francis
Friday, October 4, 6 pm
Alexandra Park, Bathurst and Dundas
We do not live on this earth alone; we share it with all the other animals of God’s creation. Today we take the time to acknowledge our relationships with and dependence upon God’s non-human creatures, and to commit ourselves to stewardship of our common world.
http://saintstephens.ca/faith-art-and-activism

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Spirit of '45
Friday, October 4 – 7 p.m..
OISE, 252 Bloor St. West, Room 2-214 (St. George Subway Station)
Everyone welcome. $4 donation requested.
1945 was a pivotal year in British history. The unity that carried Britain through the war allied to the bitter memories of the inter-war years led to a vision of a better society. The spirit of the age was to be our brother’s and our sister’s keeper. Director Ken Loach has used film from Britain’s regional and national archives, alongside sound recordings and contemporary interviews, to create a rich political and social narrative. “The achievements of the ’45 Labour government have largely been written out of our history. From near economic collapse we took leading industries into public ownership and established the Welfare State. Generosity, mutual support and co-operation were the watch words of the age. It is time to remember the determination of those who were intent on building a better world.” Ken Loach – Director. Leading off the discussion will be Toronto SA memberValerie Lamb, who grew up in England in the 1940s and 50s, and Barry Weisleder, Canada editor of SA newspaper.
Presented by Toronto Socialist Action www.socialistaction.ca or call 416 – 461-6942 or 647 – 986-1917

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Brazil's Revolt Against Austerity
Fundraising evening with Sean Purdy
Friday October 4, 5:30 pm Dinner • 7 pm Talk
Oak Street Co-op Community Room (Directions: take River Street north from Dundas or south from Gerrard St. E., walk east on Oak St. and look for stairs and a ramp on the right side, just past the convenience store. The Community Room is at the bottom of the stairs.)
Brazil, held up as an economic success story over the last decade, has been shaken by a massive revolt triggered by transport fare rises. Sean Purdy, an activist in the Party of Socialism and Freedom (PSOL) in São Paulo, joins us for a discussion on the roots of the rebellion and the political challenges ahead.
Suggested donation $7-15 (sliding scale)
Organized by Toronto East International Socialists. Info: 647-393-3096

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The 4th Revolution - Energy Autonomy
Free Screening and Discussion of documentary about the green energy revolution happening now!
Saturday, Oct 5, 1:30 pm
Annette Library @ 145 Annette Street
Part of Green Energy Open Doors, Ontario Sustainability Energy Association  . Hosted by Green 13 and the Annette Library
www.green13toronto.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

2013 VeloReel Film Festival
Sat. October 5, 7 p.m.
Bike-In Theatre, south end of Fraser Avenue in Liberty Village
Admission is $5.
Toronto's Second Annual VeloReel will screen 2013's best short films that explore cycling culture from around the world. This year's festival includes films from Canada, Germany, Austria, Ghana, and the U.S.
http://torontoveloreel.blogspot.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Exposing The Ugly Canadian
With Yves Engler
Sat. Oct. 5, 7 p.m.
Beit Zatoun, 612 Markham (Bloor and Bathurst)
Pwyc.
A talk about the Canadian government's poor environmental record and lopsided Middle East policy.
beitzatoun.org.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Toronto Disability Pride March
Sat. Oct. 5, 1-4 pm.
Starts at Queen's Park and ends at 99 Gerrard E.
March to bring recognition of the struggles and value of disabled people.
torontodisabilitypride.wordpress.com.

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Nuit Blanche
Toronto's free, all-night contemporary art event.
Saturday, October 5, 6:51 pm to sunrise
Experience Toronto transformed by more than 110 contemporary art projects created by close to 500 artists.
www.scotiabanknuitblanche.ca

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Boycott Coca-Cola and McDonalds – 3 Day International Boycott
On 5, 6, 7 October phone or e-mail the sponsors. Tell them you’re buying nothing.
We ask the citizens of the world to boycott these sponsors because of the inhumane violent treatment of the LGBT citizens of Russia by Vladimir Putin and the Russian government. Vladimir Putin has as well enacted laws making various forms of discrimination of LGBT people legal.
Coca-cola: www.coca-colacompany.com/contact-us/
McDonald's: www.mcdonalds.com/us/en/contact_us.html
https://www.facebook.com/events/587315551309942/?fref=tck

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Climb the Turbine
Oct. 5 - 8
Toronto's Wind Turbine
Want a fun and challenging experience that your friends haven't had? Want to be a trailblazer and make a real impact in the fight against climate change? Building on the success of last year's inaugural event, TREC Education is proud to announce the 2nd annual Climb the Turbine Fundraiser.
http://climbtheturbine.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Rock the Line
With Sarah Harmer *Gord Downie and The Sadies *Hayden *Minotaurs
Sun. Oct. 6,  2 pm
Mel Lastman Square
A free concert to raise awareness about the risks of the Enbridge Line 9 tar sands pipeline plan. Free children’s activities provided by TREC. Tasty eats for sale by Santo Pecado and Earth & City
Want to learn more about the risks of Line 9, visit www.Line9.ca
http://environmentaldefence.ca/rock-line-october-6-2013

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Making Movements Accessible Workshop
Sunday October 6, noon - 5 p.m.
OISE
This workshop will talk about both the political and practical aspects of accessibility in political organizing. It will focus on the political importance of building inclusive movements, the strength that including diverse groups of disabled people brings to organizations and movements and what some of the things we should be putting in place to make events and organizations more accessible. To register, e-mail opirg.toronto at gmail.com or phone 416-978-7770 (if no one answers, please leave a message and will we get back to you).

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Magnetic Soles
•  Natural, Non-Invasive with  Zero Side Effects
•  Increasing Nerve Conduction, Increasing Circulation... and
•  There is Nothing Else that can do this... and
•  There is No Competition
http://magneticsoles.com/
Contact: Dianne Knight, B.A.,
tel: 416.551.7259
email: info [AT] magneticsoles [DOT] com

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in