T.O. Greenspiration Events: Blessings of the season...

Angela Bischoff greenspi at web.ca
Sun Dec 15 15:17:30 EST 2013

T.O. Greenspiration Events

This is my last newsletter for the year. Peace and blessings of the season... - a

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Hi cycling friends.
Interested in a bicycle wall calendar? They’re produced by Cyclo Nord Sud, an incredible Montreal based NGO that collects and sends used bikes and parts to lesser developed countries. I’m selling them as a fundraiser for bike lanes on Bloor advocacy/events. They make great gifts! They’re just $10, or 4 for $30. If you'd like one or more, please send a cheque payable to Angela Bischoff, 160 John St. #300, Toronto ON, M5V 2E5. Thanks.
- angela

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Government of Ontario: Stop OPG's 30% price increase
Please sign my petition to cancel the Darlington nuclear rebuild in favour of renewable water power from Quebec and conservation instead. Thanks!
https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/government-of-ontario-stop-opg-s-30-price-increase

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NoJetsTO
If you missed the packed NoJetsTO public forum last week, you can watch the videos of the speakers: Former Mayors David Crombie and David Miller along with Jack Diamond, Paul Bedford and Jane Fairburn all spoke against Porter Plans
Videos: http://www.nojetsto.ca/videos-mondays-panel-discussion/
Petition: www.nojetsto.ca/take-action
Request a lawnsign: http://www.nojetsto.ca/get-your-lawn-sign/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Transit Petition – a Fair Deal for Riders
The TTC Commission approved a five-cent increase on fares, and a five-dollar increase on the price of an adult Metropass (from $128 to $133.75).  Cash fares will stay at $3, and service levels will stay the same. Thankfully, this isn’t the final word on TTC fares and service levels. Fares are already too high. We invest less in Toronto’s public transit system than any other city in North America on a per rider basis and the average commute time is one of the worst. We need great transit service, not more overcrowding and delays.
Take Action:  The 2014 TTC budget now goes to City Council where it can be changed before Council approves a final City Budget early in the new year. Please sign the petition:
http://togethertoronto.ca/campaigns/ttc-riders

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Divest Ontario Teacher's Pension Plan From Fossil Fuels
Petition: http://campaigns.gofossilfree.org/petitions/divest-ontario-teachers-pension-plan-from-fossil-fuels

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Online Certificate Course in Harm Reduction at York University
Still Accepting Registrations for January 2014
https://dce.yorku.ca/SubCgyPgmCrs.aspx?CgyID=3&SubCgyID=8
http://www.canadianharmreduction.com/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Emergency Rally: T.O. Police Shoot 18 yr. old boy - stop the shootings!

Sun. Dec. 15, 7 p.m.
Meet at 55 Gould St., march to Queen station (Queen and Yonge)
On Friday, Dec 13 at around 8pm, four Toronto police officers shot an 18 year old boy in a crowded subway station. He is currently hospitalized and listed as being in stable condition. The police have killed 15 people since August 2011, 8 of them shot to death. In every case, the victim did not have a gun. Stop the shootings.
https://www.facebook.com/events/470897406347874/471014309669517/?ref=notif&notif_t=event_mall_reply

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Food Biz Meetup

Mon. Dec. 16, 7 p.m.
Food Forward's new centre on Carlton, a few blocks east of College Station.
Join us at the launch event of Food Forward's Toronto Food Biz Meetups.. meet new and old food entrepreneurs and innovator friends... learn about some of the City's best new ventures, and sample or buy some great foods. Try beer from Black Oak brewery and coffee from KLINK. Doubling as Food Forward's holiday mixer.. tickets and more info on Uniiverse. We look forward to seeing you!
https://www.uniiverse.com/listings/food-biz-meetup-holiday-edition-toronto-8RL2P
For more information please contact our Community Development Liaison: leonardo at pushfoodforward.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Stop Climate Disasters, Stop Line 9

Monday Dec. 16, 7 pm
OISE room 8170, 252 Bloor street west (st. George subway)
The tar sands--which exploit migrant workers and divert resources from green jobs--are Canada's fastest growing source of carbon emissions, contributing to climate disasters like typhoon Haiyan in the Philippines. Using the 38-year old Line 9 pipeline, Enbridge wants to pump tar sands through Ontario, and the provincial government has not even conducted an environmental assessment of its impacts. Come to a discussion about climate change and the recent typhoon in the Philippines, the campaign for an environmental assessment for Line 9, and alternatives that respect migrant workers and the planet. Speakers
- IWWorkers-Migrante, an organization of Filipino women migrant workers
- Jonah Schein, MPP for Davenport and NDP environment critic
The event will include petition and letter signing against Line 9, and donations for the victims of typhoon Haiyan.
Organized by Toronto West End Against Line 9 <westendnoline9 at gmail.com>
https://www.facebook.com/TorontoWestEndAgainstLine9

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Orange Witness

Tues. Dec. 17, 7 p.m.
Art Gallery of Ontario (AGO), Jackman Hall, 317 Dundas Street West
Historically, Agent Orange (herbicides 2,4-D, 2,4,5-T and TCCD) has been associated with war, but the industrial and domestic use of the chemical is a story that has yet to reach the masses, until now. Orange Witness documents the marginalized voices of people from not only Vietnam, but Canada, The United States and New Zealand as well, whose lives have been changed after being exposed to Agent Orange. Eyewitnesses speak of the long term impact that the use of Agent Orange has had on their health and the environment where they live. As the story unfolds the enormity of the issues and blatant inaction of governments is evident.
http://planetinfocus.org/default/salon-vert-2/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Vigil - International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers

Tues. Dec. 17, 4:30 - 5:30 pm
519 Community Centre, 519 Church St
Toronto sex workers and allies, please join us for a vigil December 17th on the International Day to End Violence Against Sex Workers. Let us gather as a community to honour the memories of those who have lost their lives as a result of the stigmatization of sex work and appreciate those currently navigating the margins of the sex trade—migrants, street based, trans women, black, Indigenous and people of colour. We will continue to demand an end to the stigmatization and criminalization that condones violence towards sex workers. Confirmed speakers include Audrey Huntley from No More Silence and Elene Lam, Former Director Zi Teng, Hong Kong/Chinese sex worker rights org. An altar will be created to honour victims of violence. Anyone is welcome to contribute to in a way that is meaningful to their own spirituality.
Sponsored by The Native Youth Sexual Health Network
http://maggiestoronto.ca/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Bike Care and Maintenance workshop - Ladies workshop

Wed. Dec. 18, 6:30 p.m.
Community Bicycle Network shop, 761 Queen W.
This seminar will go over what to clean, lubricate and identify repairs. Discussions of bike fit, brakes, gears, drive train, and bearing adjustment, and general safety.
Register online or in person at CBN. info at communitybicyclenetwork.org 416 504 2918

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Holiday Green Drinks

Wednesday, December 18, 6 pm - 8:30 pm
14 Duncan St (near King and University)
Share a glass of your favorite bevvy with a few of the 150-200 Torontonians interested in the GTA's green industry at Grace O' Malley's near the St. Andrews subway station. Our events are very simple and unstructured, but many people have found employment, made friends, developed new ideas, done deals and had moments of serendipity.
greendrinks at gmail.com

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

International Migrant Workers Day

Wed. Dec. 18, 5 – 6 pm
Chinese Railroad Monument, Blue Jays Way / Navy Wharf Court (one st. South of Front St., east off Spadina Ave.)
(J4MW) invites you to our annual vigil in recognition of International Migrant Workers Day. On this day, we will pause, joining migrant workers and allies around the world in reflection. This short vigil will bring some of the experiences and actions that were part of our work this past year, into focus. In 2013, we saw horrific injustices: debilitating accidents, sexual violence, and racial profiling perpetrated against migrant workers  – all of which we would like to commemorate, because they have become catalysts for action, and have deepened our organizing efforts.
For more information: Justicia 4 Migrant Workers  (J4MW) <j4mw.on at gmail.com>
www.justiceformigrantworkers.org

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

LightSeed Energy Holiday Party to raise money to send solar lighting to 2,000 families in Zambia

Thur. December 19, 2013; 8pm til late
The Courthouse, 57 Adelaide St. E, Toronto
DJ Medley | Gourmet Food & Drink | Art Battle | LIGHTS OUT! Hour
Tickets: www.lightseedenergy.com/lightsout - Choose the "Tickets to Lights Out" perk; or $35 at the door; $100 VIP

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

The Green Majority

Toronto's Environmental Radio Show
Weekly, Fridays, 11 - noon EST
Listen live or catch the podcasts
http://greenmajority.ca/
I was on this program last week talking nukes and alternatives http://greenmajority.ca/2013/12/13/tgm-121313/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Kensington Festival of Lights

Sat. Dec. 21, 6 p.m.. - Winter Solstice
Starts at Oxford and Augusta

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

Happy and Healthy Between The Sheets - 2 Talks 1 Evening
With: Anarres Natural Health and Toy Time with Tynan

Friday, Jan. 10, 7 - 10 p.m.
The industrialREALarts room, 688 Richmond Street West
$10 in advance here: https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/healthy-and-happy-between-the-sheets-tickets-9538031509
$15 at the door
How to keep toxins out of the bedroom with effective contraception and funky toys that won't ruin your fun. We hear and talk about toxins in our foods and body care products.
When it comes to our sexual play, we don't hear or talk about non toxic alternatives. Anarres Natural Health has teamed up with Toy Time with Tynan to bring non-toxic living into your bedroom! We'll talk about:  Lubes that give you yeast infections? Lotions that grow breast cancer tumours? Sensual massage oils made from petroleum "oil", "colours" and "fragrances"? Toys that leach hormone disrupting chemicals? REALLY???? Really. What are the healthy options for ourselves and our planet?!?
Co Presented with Greenspiration with 50% of proceeds to The Tooker Gomberg Greenspiration Fund
http://www.anarreshealth.ca/node/2503
https://www.facebook.com/events/751623068199433/

---------------------------------------
---------------------------------------

NOW magazine hosts a very comprehensive online events listing
http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/listings/

Eulogies and Condolences for Tooker
and Stories of ecology and activism
Join my email list by emailing Angela at:
greenspiration at web.ca
Write "subscribe" in the subject line
and tell me what city/country you live in